Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Auto's needing a Diet?

David

G. David Felt
Alternative Fuels & Propulsion writer
www.CheersandGears.com

Auto's Needing a Diet!

Featured on MSN Auto but written by Motor trend I found the story of 15 cars that should go on a diet an interesting read. They do offer their own list of which auto's these 15 should be more like and they are those that lead the segment in lightest weight and why we want lighter auto's.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/15-cars-that-should-go-on-a-diet/ss-AA8urEK?ocid=UP94DHP#image=1

You can review the story above to see which auto's they compare each one too. I for one am thinking of the question, what other auto's deserve to go on a diet and should be on this list instead of the 15 listed. What are your thoughts?

#15 - Bentley Continental GT Convertible - 5400lbs

#14 - Lexus RC F - 4000LBS

#13 - Mercedes Benz S550 - 4700lbs

#12 - Dodge Challenger - 3800lbs minimum with V6, 4000lbs + with V8's and options

#11 - GMC Terrain - 3900lbs with 4 cylinders, Denali edition with V6 passes 4000lbs

#10 - RAM 1500 - 5100lbs

#9 - Ford Taurus - 4100lbs with EcoBoost I-4

#8 - Buick Enclave - 4700lbs

#7 - Bentley Mulsanne - 5900lbs

#6 - Lexus LX 570 - 6000lbs

#5 - Ford Edge - 3900lbs

#4 - Dodge Dart - 3200lbs

#3 - Hyundai Genesis Sedan - 4100lbs

#2 - Chrysler 200 - 3500lbs

#1 - Chevrolet Sonic - 2700lbs

With the first question asked of what other Auto's this got me to thinking about a few more questions but I will start with my original question.

1)      What other auto's deserve to go on a diet and be put on this Bloat List?

2)      Do all Auto's need to go on a diet just because of MPG or is there a valid reason to keep an auto heavier?

3)      Over the next 15 years, which top 3 materials will make up auto's? Aluminum, Carbon Fiber, Plastic, High Strength Lite steel, etc.

4)      Will we come to a point where using lite materials cause more bodily harm than using steel with engineered crumple zones?

5)      At what point does weight reduction not play a big role affecting Diesel, Petrol, CNG, or Electric powertrains?

6)      Why do other industries not have to become more fuel efficient?

7)      When does the Marine industry have to finally start building efficient powertrains like the auto industry?

Example many boats consume gallons per hr for a mere nautical mile. Using the Bayliner 215 model, top speed (46.7mph) has the boat consuming 19 Gallons per Hour. At best cruising speed (22 mph) you are consuming 5.2 gallons per hour or the equal of 4.3 miles per gallon.

These are just some questions that this brings up. Sound off on your thoughts about the weight of Auto's and their fuel consumption.

The benchmark for weight watching over decades of time is the Corvette.
Base coupe was 3223 lbs in 1990, its 3298 25 years later. 

Just about everything is too heavy, and with more lightweight materials than ever previously.

But in absolute numbers, the 2700-3500 lb cars above would not be on my list.

The luxury sedans are obscenely obese, however.

The days of light weights like years ago are long gone with no path back.
My '64 Catalina (iron block/heads, perimeter frame, less than 10 lbs plastic) was 213" long x 79" wide and weighed 3770 (shipping weight). That number is 'right on' for the vehicle & period. My '59 Buick is heavier primarily due to a stronger frame, it's 217" long x 81 wide and weighs 4275 (shipping) and 4445 stock (very few options), at the curb. That's on the heavy side for the vehicle/period, outside of Cadillac/ Lincoln/ Imperial.

The only problem I have with the Sonic being on this list is that it is being compared to cars like the Versa and Fiesta which are both smaller and in many cases cheaper.  Of course it is going to be heavy compared to those two.

But it also has great crash scores and one of the best roof crush tests this side of a Tesla, and is positively Buick like compared those others when it comes to road/wind noise.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings