New York Auto Show: 2016 GMC Terrain & Terrain Denali: Comments

Since the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox debuted at the Chicago Auto Show in February, we knew that it wouldn't be too long before GMC would roll out a refreshed Terrain. Well at New York, the automaker will be showing off the 2016 Terrain family.

Like the Equinox, the Terrain keeps its basic shape. But key items such as the front and rear fascia, grille, and wheels are slightly changed. Inside gets a new center stack, along with new cloth and leather choices for each trim level. The blind zone alert and rear cross traffic alerts which was available on the Denali model is now optional on the SLE and SLT trims.

Powertrains for the Terrain are the same as the outgoing model. The base engine is 2.4L EcoTec four-cylinder, while a 3.6L V6 with 301 horsepower is optional.

The 2016 GMC Terrain hits dealers in the fall.

Source: GMC

Press Release is on Page 2

GMC Introduces 2016 Terrain

• New appearance, features build on success in growing compact SUV segment

NEW YORK – Distinguished by a new, more contemporary front-end appearance, the 2016 GMC Terrain and Terrain Denali were introduced today, ahead of their public debut at the New York International Auto Show.

The 2016 Terrain lineup features new front and rear fascias, new grille designs, a power dome hood, light-emitting diode (LED) daytime running lamps and additional updates. Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert are offered on SLE and SLT models for the first time.

“Terrain is a popular choice in the growing compact SUV segment, introducing drivers to GMC’s professional grade design and features,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing. “The changes for 2016 provide consumers with even more reasons to consider Terrain as it continues to be a smart choice for customers seeking versatility, style and technology.”

The compact SUV market leapt 17.4 percent in 2014 to account for 15.7 percent of the total U.S. market, overtaking midsize cars for the first time as the auto industry’s largest vehicle segment.

Terrain had its best year ever in 2014 with 105,016 sales. The momentum continues this year, as Terrain enjoyed its best-ever January and February sales.

The New York region is the national leader for compact SUV sales, with more than 200,000 retail units sold last year. It is also second-highest selling region for Terrain, behind Detroit.

The complete list of revisions for the 2016 Terrain lineup includes:

• New front and rear fascias with C-shaped lower chrome trim that accentuates the Terrain’s wide stance
  • New, chrome-accented grille designs for SLE, SLT and Denali – including specific tri-segment grille texture on Denali
  • New power dome hood design
  • New LED daytime running lamps on uplevel models
  • New 18-inch aluminum wheel design offered on non-Denali models
  • New 19-inch aluminum wheel design offered on Denali
  • Revised instrument panel “center stack” with new storage shelf and updated control graphics
  • Revised model lineup: SL, SLE (SLE-1 and SLE-2), SLT and Denali
  • Premium cloth seat fabric now standard on SL and SLE models
  • New Saddle Up leather interior available on SLT
  • New Light Titanium/Jet Black interior combination offered on Denali
  • Front passenger eight-way power-adjustable seat offered on SLT (previously available only on Denali)
  • New, chrome-trimmed transmission shifter
  • Available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features on SLE and SLT (previous available only on Denali).
  • New White Frost Tricoat and Crimson Red Tintcoat premium exterior colors.

Bold design tops many customers’ reasons for purchasing the GMC Terrain and the updated 2016 models retain the distinctive proportion that attracts first-time buyers to the brand with a greater focus on precision and attention to detail.

“The updates for the 2016 Terrain make one of the strongest designs in the compact SUV market even more compelling,” said Helen Emsley, executive director, Global GMC Design. “They create a more contemporized appearance rooted in GMC’s professional grade precision.”

Terrain at a glance

The 2016 Terrain seats five, with all-wheel drive offered on SLE, SLT and Denali models. Its interior – with the GM-exclusive MultiFlex sliding rear seat – offers 31.6 cubic feet (894 liters) of cargo space behind the rear seat and 63.9 cubic feet (1,809 liters) with the rear seat folded.

The standard Ecotec 2.4L direct-injected engine delivers an EPA-estimated 32 mpg on the highway (FWD models). A direct-injected 3.6L V-6 is available and delivers best-in-class 301 horsepower (225 kW) and 272 lb-ft of torque (369 Nm). The V-6 engine also enables a trailering capacity of up to 3,500 pounds (1,588 kg).

Available GMC IntelliLink offers OnStar with 4G LTE connectivity and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot. It provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the car is on and comes with a three-month/3GB data trial (whichever comes first).

Terrain also offers a programmable power liftgate (standard on Denali, available on SLT), with a memory function that stops the liftgate at a chosen height to help shorter drivers or accommodate low garage heights.

In addition to available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features, Terrain offers Rear Park Assist, Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning as part of comprehensive safety packages.

Terrain Denali

The Terrain Denali offers unique exterior and interior appointments, exclusive wheels and design cues to set it apart from competitors. Dual-flow dampers are exclusive to the Terrain Denali’s suspension system, providing a smoother ride and improved handling by controlling suspension dampening across a broader range of driving conditions.

The 2016 Terrain goes on sale this fall. Pricing will be announced later.

View full article

I have to say that I still very much like the looks of the Terrain and this is just another excellent refresh. I do wish they had done something much better with the inside center part of the dash but as long as people are happy. that is good for me.

Wish they would use the AWD Version of this for a Typhoon Edition.

This thing hasn't changed much and it has been on the market for a while.  I think it looks a better now though, I thought some of the lines on the original were a bit funky, this looks more softened and a cleaner design.  I am surprised the 2.5 liter four hasn't replaced the 2.4 liter to give it a power bump.

I the refresh or new bumpers are ok but not enough to make me pine for it over my 2012. But I understand the new model is coming and it will be vastly improved. Based on the Malibu weight loss I expect it will show similar improvements. Mass is a killer in this vehicle as well as interior packaging. I love my wife's Terrain but it has so much room for improvement.

As for AWD Typhoon? No way would I want that in the present one. I is much too heavy and much too tall even lowered. The center of gravity is just too much.  Now if they can lower the next one's CG and lose 300 pounds we may be talking with a Turbo 2.0 with 300HP.  The truth is the Terrain is just not a performance vehicle and to make it one would still leave you with many compromises. Better to use something else or build a different SUV for that use.

I am thinking an Alpha made into a CUV. 40% front and 60% rear drive.

So does the nav screen come up like in the Cadillac or is that just a reflection cover like a baseball hat to keep the sun off the display?

No loss for the CD player, while I use what few CD's I have in my Escalade, I have yet to put anything in the Trailblazer. I figure with a USB port why not use a modern device that can hold more songs and no moving parts so more reliable. Does anyone know if the stereo has the ability to download music from a USB thumb drive onto the radio? Having a 20 or 40GB SSD or flash drive would be perfect for having your favorite tunes ready for a road trip.

That is good to know so then a $20 64GB usb thumb drive and your all set for music if you do not want to use your phone of pay for the XM radio.

That is good to know so then a $20 64GB usb thumb drive and your all set for music if you do not want to use your phone of pay for the XM radio.

Yup.  I use one of these because they are 64gb and about as physically small as you can get.

SanDisk Ultra Fit CZ43 64GB USB 3.0

The removal of the CD and the small shelf and the shift knob appear to be all I can see that has changed here other than colors.

The whole change here is mostly the bumper covers and the addition of LED lights. The sheet metal is the same.

This is a good refresh for them to meet fleet use after the new ones arrive.

As for refresh at 5 years that has not been an issue as the Nox and Terrain both have bettered their sales each and every years since this one was introduced. People like these and they have done so very very well.

The challenge for the new one will be to live up to the standards here with better MPG and better interior packaging. These are the two things that need fixed and a new platform should do that. Also they need to add AC vents in the back. My wife has loved hers. I was not a big fan when we bought it but I have really come to love it. Great ride and handling. Comfortable on trips and quiet.

My only beef has been is the interior is not the best for cargo but you still can load it down. I just expect for the size it should haul more. Rear strut towers really  intrude. The dash is very deep too.

The other beef is the weight. It is just too damn heavy. if they can cut 300 pounds like the Bu it should be a big help.

Most people will not miss the Cd if they have a smart phone. The Bluetooth works well and like Drew pointed out the Memory stick in the console can do a lot too.

Edited by hyperv6