favorite vehicle?

What is your favorite overall vehicle?

Mine: Caprice Classic
1) available in coupe, sedan & wagon
2) rear-wheel-drive-only nameplate
3) great road trip car

In a close 2nd place tie: Ford LTD/Crown Victoria, Buick Roadmaster & El Camino lines!

3 generations of CC: 1973, 1989 & 1991:

My 1979 & 1989 CCs:
89CC_79CC_whichSeason.jpg

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"I'm out of my pain" __ Beth Hart __ 'LA Song'

1955/1956 GMC

1. Available in stepside (short & long), Suburban fleetside (i.e. Cameo), panel van, Suburban Carry-All, chasis cab, Low Cab Forward (LCF), etc. body styles and in many capacities too (half-ton up and up)

2. Factory-installed 4WD (1956) and Hydra-Matic Automatic transmission

3. Multiple uses wherever a truck is needed

DSCN3062.JPG

Close second: 1957 Oldsmobile line-up (my favorite car though will always be the 1948 Tucker)

How did I know a GMC would be on your list, Roger? ;)

Really like the color of the one you posted.  Oddly, the driveway it is on & the garage behind it (complete with the blacktop apron) is eerily similar to the 2nd garage an uncle in PA had built ~10 years ago now.  It's a rather striking resemblance.

Nobody, on any of the other forums, has mentioned the Tucker at all!

"Take a turn off from the highway" __ Jayne Denham __ 'Road To Our Town'

Two Auto's

GMC Suburbans 90's edition / Cadillac Escalades First and third generation versions

1986 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe to be specific

OK, Guess that is three to some or two to others. :)

• Agree 1

I have a story for Roger/everyone else.

My grandmother lived in Florida years back, and she knew I was going into automotive design. Apparently she told her friend about it, and her friend said her cousin (IIRC) used to design cars. I asked my grandmother what he designed, she didn't know for sure, thought maybe it was Edsels. I said 'ask; find out his name'.

She did and got back to me to say his name was Alex Tremulis (the in-house designer of the Tucker). I about fell over; even at that young age I knew all about Tucker. I wrote him a letter about design, both general & specific, and he was nice enough to respond, going point by point to my letter, and included pictures, his home address/phone, a neat package. That was a thrill for me, of course the correspondence is well cared for in my Tucker file. 

Edited by balthazar

Yes Cort, it should come as no surprise that a GMC would be on the top of my list.  Not surprised that others haven't mentioned the Tucker.  With such a limited production run and not many out there for the public to see, it's just not on the radar even with many auto enthusiasts.

Cool story, balthazar!  I have some correspondence and mementos from 2006 with Chick, the #51 Tucker owner in NJ, who passed away two years ago (IIRC).  I was also just thrilled to see my name listed on the contributor plaque at the new AACA Tucker exhibit from my small donation when I attended a fundraiser in April 2014 (though my first name is misspelled 'Rodger').  One day I hope to purchase a Tucker radio, taillight lens, or other small piece of automobilia for my personal collection.

That was a thrill for me, of course the correspondence is well cared for in my Tucker file. 

I would've been "devastated" if the ending was anything other than this ... LOL!  So cool to have that connection!

&, Roger, you might be right about Tucker ... hadn't thought of it like that.  Still, Tucker is a memorable (in my mind, anyway) automobile ... rather unique, of course.

"Take a ride, look around" __ Jason Aldean __ 'Tattoos On This Town'

• 1 month later...

Aston Martin DB7  It has always captured my imagination thanks to James Bond.  More than anything else he ever drove, that is the one that permanently embedded itself in my brain as THE Bond car.  I would sell my soul for that car (then again, I'm a car salesman, many would say i don't have one of those anyway), but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get enough out of it.  I mean really, what's the trade-in value on a slightly used soul?  This car is so far ahead of the competition I couldn't even tell you what might come in second.

I've always had a soft spot for the Nissan Stagea. It's basically a station wagon version of a Skyline, or at least that's what some people identify it as.

It will be mine one day oh yes, it will be mine.

1970 Oldsmobile 442 W-30

5bzl77.jpg

Tied for 1st place

1969 Hurst/Oldsmobile  H/0 455

69%20hurst%20olds%20profile.jpg

However...when one is accustomed to modern vehicles.....a restomod 1969/1970 Cutlass with modern everything...suspensions and engines and interior creature comforts...engine supplied by Chevy...LSX crate motor, etc...to look like a Hurst/Olds or 442 will do.

Like Balthazar said about his Caddy....I could drive a restomod 442 forever.

I don't know that I have a top favorite. The '57 Pontiac Super Chief coupe & '57 DeSoto Adventurer coupe have been in my top 5 for years… tho ultimately I would prefer a full boat custom car of my own design.

oldshurst442 : I have a possible dream maker for you; I have a '72 442 I'd like to sell. Let's talk… :D 

• Agree 1

I don't know that I have a top favorite. The '57 Pontiac Super Chief coupe & '57 DeSoto Adventurer coupe have been in my top 5 for years… tho ultimately I would prefer a full boat custom car of my own design.

oldshurst442 : I have a possible dream maker for you; I have a '72 442 I'd like to sell. Let's talk… :D

I gave you a "thumbs up" for that.

While I aint ready to buy just yet..give me another 7-8 years....my house has to get paid up first. But SURE...Im DEFINITELY a buyer!

In what kind of condition is she in?

Speaking of a custom car of someone's own design....

I have another dream...to build myself a Ford T-Bucket Hot Rod or a '33 Ford Roadster Hot Rod with a Greek and a Canadian theme...to reflect who I am...

Edited by oldshurst442

She is beautiful.... :lovey: and you drag race her... :thumbsup:

She will definitely do.

Like I said though, 7-8 years...possibly as long as 10...because I have a couple of financial obligations I have to meet before that dream becomes a reality.

I would restomod her though...since she aint a '69 Hurst/Olds or  a  '70 442...parts matching '69 or  '70.

I dont know if you can wait that long... :smilewide:

Edited by oldshurst442

One that is paid for, reliable, always starts, and has cold air conditioning. :)

That would describe my 1979 Caprice Classic ... perfectly! ;)

Also my 1989 CC, minus the A/C (not currently working).

But, dang ... some nice cars added to the list the last couple days.  I'm not sure which I like most ... maybe the 1 balthazar posted ... or that Mustang....

"Can you make folks feel what you feel inside?" __ David Allen Coe __ 'The Ride'

For the longest time, it was the Fiero. I always wanted an 88 Formula, like so:

ebay140801820551629.jpg

Though, these days, I have many across various brands from various countries. One of them, I finally bought. The amusing thing is, almost exactly 5 years ago to the day I bought it, I posted this on facebook: "...is really salivating over a new VW GTI. I'm pretty sure I'd sell everything I have to use as downpayment." Funny how that works.

The first thing that comes to my mind when asked is this..

79F8D277-DB48-437B-8F8E-2DC68D183CFC_zps

There are faster or better all around cars out there..but this tugs on my heart strings every time.

I have two friends that have these. One Vert and one Coupe.

..dicks.. lol

I'm not a vert fan at all but These with the roll bar still manage to look tough to me. Are your friends' Mystics as well?!?

..one day I'll have one.. once they are considered classics probably.

There are faster or better all around cars out there..but this tugs on my heart strings every time.

..dicks.. lol

I'm not a vert fan at all but These with the roll bar still manage to look tough to me. Are your friends' Mystics as well?!?

Both Mystics, yes. One (vert) is stock except intake, smaller pulley, and cat-back. The Coupe has a bigger blower, full bolt-ons, etc. Made like ~670whp as of last dyno.

..dicks.. lol

Both Mystics, yes. One (vert) is stock except intake, smaller pulley, and cat-back. The Coupe has a bigger blower, full bolt-ons, etc. Made like ~670whp as of last dyno.

BOTH MYSTICS?!? F your friends man..

Hahaha 670rwhp.. that's just nuts. Badass, but nuts. 

As much as I'd love to build a bamf Terminator, I would be content with the 390hp with exhaust. Borla's(with an off road x-pipe) if money weren't an issue.