Autoguide Video: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V Review

15rbmtu.jpg

https://youtu.be/8VGYv4Gg1L8

More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparableBMWicon1.png, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V.

The smallest and lightest V model ever, Cadillacicon1.png has applied years of development from its CTS-V models, not to mention a racing program that has been winning championships on race tracks across America for over a decade.

So where better to put Caddy’s claimsicon1.png to the test than on the long straights and complex corners of the Circuit of the Americas Formula 1 circuit in Austin, Texas?
Turbocharged Power

The lessons learned for this caricon1.png may come from the past, but Cadillac certainly didn’t borrow from the archives when it came to the ATS-V’s engine. While past V models have been V8s and often supercharged ones at that, that’s certainly not the case here. Instead there’s a new twin-turbo V6.

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/cadillac/2016-cadillac-ats-v-review

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

This is a real solid effort from GM. I like the sedan in real life photographs. On many of the online forums people who are complaining about gauge clusters haven't seen Audi or BMW - especially the BMW.

If I had to bitch it would be lack of beautiful 7 speed Tremec from the Vette. This car deserves it.

^^^^^^^THIS. Outside of a desire to kill supply numbers fast I see no reason why the 7speed wasn't used. I would have also had no issue with instead of the LF4 being used, GM going with the LT1 instead for V-Series application and leaving the TTV6 for a VSport ATS, maybe at about 370HP/390lbs.

In tracking steering could be all the difference in the world. This ATS-V is on top of that.. not to mention apparently not having issues of break fade like the M4, which certainly inspires confidence. In a sprint.. yeah.. the M4 apparently has a wee bit more jump, but I am gonna say that the ATS-V looks to make up for it in terms of driving dynamics.. just enough. As a Cadillac lover this would easily be the car in my garage over that Kraut. Cadillac didn't build a better M3/M4, it built a better Sport/Lux CAR  

This is sex on wheels.. and too bad I have to wait for its bigger, more expensive sister to arrive

nhassler_50.jpg

I like this car very much.

I just wish they could have changed the cluster a little more and I can hear them all niggle about the at the limit twitchiness that few will ever reach.

I also ponder how this translates to the coming Camaro SS with similar power. This bodes well for the SS and just think about the Z/28 with ceramic brakes bigger tires  and other goodies.

The standard ATS is boring looking, the lower front fascia on the V makes it look a lot better.  The hood scoop and spoiler are a bit too boy racer, the hood scoop reminds me of a 90s Firebird.  I think a solid hood would have looked better.  It would be nice for them to replace CUE and switch the instrument cluster to a TFT screen.

I don't get how BMW once made the holy grail of steering feel and now they can't find it.   The M3 still seems to get accolades from the chassis and overall handling.  It will be curious when these cars end up in a comparison because the C63 has the V8 muscle but is 3,900 lbs, the M3 is only 3540 lbs so it has the weight advantage. 

Interesting that the first test drive is in on the ATS-V and while they said it was not perfect, it was a perfect balance between the precision of BMW M3 and the unrefined muscle car roar of the C63 AMG to pound them both.

https://www.yahoo.co...7428265087.html

Have to say the videos of the ATS-V are inspiring and clearly this writer hit the nail on the head with the following quote "Cadillac has been producing some stellar performance cars over the past few years, but outside our geeky gearhead walls, the general consensus — rather unfairly — is that Cadillac's are still for old, withered gentleman with hips that beep every time they go through airport security.

It remains a long road, then, to educate the uneducated, and it’s cars like the 2016 Cadillac ATS-V that must turn the tide."

Cadillac is on the right road to show that MB and BMW are now the Old Mans Cars and Cadillac is the true driving machine!

The standard ATS is boring looking, the lower front fascia on the V makes it look a lot better.  The hood scoop and spoiler are a bit too boy racer, the hood scoop reminds me of a 90s Firebird.  I think a solid hood would have looked better.  It would be nice for them to replace CUE and switch the instrument cluster to a TFT screen.

I don't get how BMW once made the holy grail of steering feel and now they can't find it.   The M3 still seems to get accolades from the chassis and overall handling.  It will be curious when these cars end up in a comparison because the C63 has the V8 muscle but is 3,900 lbs, the M3 is only 3540 lbs so it has the weight advantage. 

Boy Racer??? No That would be over at Lexus with its IS, in all trims. Personally I think this car is "DA $h!.  

If not for the size, considering I'm 6'3 and 217lbs,(and have no business being in a car like this and complaining about its size). To me this car beats the other's in looks/style and class. Performance in the preliminary tests.. THE PRELIMINARY tests, show that between it, and an M4/M3, a "driver's contest" would yield the winner. I am half thinking that by production or even later comparos U may see Cadillac upping its numbers by tuning themselves to give a clearer winner.I'd buy this in a heartbeat, thro a quick, inexpensive tune in it to allow for beating up on 911s and Vettes, and be happy as a pig in slop. I see no downside to owning this car. Even more, and I'm sure I'm in the minority, I see the Cadillac badge as equal in terms of heritage to the Benz, and over that of the BMW, which I'm sorry.. considering my ability to buy any of them, is nothing more than a well rounded, better handling Jetta alternative with pleather seats. If U don't get that reference then U've never been to Europe.

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Agree 1

Well I like the car as Cadillac as tried to fit in but they did not do like others and not at least do something a little original. They have their own style and looks like their own take on performance.

As for the so called boy racer items. I have no issue with them since they really do work. Now if they were like on many cars today fake I would say leave them alone.

I have a vented hood on my Fiero. It is in the style of a GT 40 like hood. It really did relieve the under hood pressure makes the car more stable. But the really cool thing is at night you see a big moth out in front and when it gets over the vent it shoots strait up in the air. Best damn bug deflector I have ever owned. LOL!

Well I like the car as Cadillac as tried to fit in but they did not do like others and not at least do something a little original. They have their own style and looks like their own take on performance.

As for the so called boy racer items. I have no issue with them since they really do work. Now if they were like on many cars today fake I would say leave them alone.

I have a vented hood on my Fiero. It is in the style of a GT 40 like hood. It really did relieve the under hood pressure makes the car more stable. But the really cool thing is at night you see a big moth out in front and when it gets over the vent it shoots strait up in the air. Best damn bug deflector I have ever owned. LOL!

I'd like to see pics of the Fiero (in its own thread of course)

Wait, did you just compare a Fiero to a GT40?  Although, they both are mid-engined, so they are basically the same.  Other than the 4 consecutive LeMans wins.

• Disagree 3

I simply said my custom hood that had a hood vent styled similar to a GT 40 hood.  Reread it and move your lips if it helps.

You and Einstein were both Humans but I would never say you were basically the same either.

It must be true what they say. Some folks know they are resigned to lose so they lose a little everyday.

Edited by hyperv6

I have high hopes for the ATS-V. It's looks are more fitting to its intended purpose than the standard ATS, has the right powertrain, and is seemingly executed well. First drive's are promising thus far. I will be anxiously awaiting the flood of direct comparisons once they hit. M3, to be killed, or not to be killed. That is the ever-lingering question.

Wait, did you just compare a Fiero to a GT40?  Although, they both are mid-engined, so they are basically the same.  Other than the 4 consecutive LeMans wins.

Even as a supposed "joke", that comment makes no sense. Reading comprehension fail, for sure.