Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2015 Regal Turbo

CSpec

Hey guys, I haven't posted on here in a really long time, but I'm thinking about leasing a new Regal and wanted your input. I'm most intrigued by the Turbo Premium II with Driver's Confidence Package--I think it has a good combination of looks, power, equipment, and luxury. I was really close to buying a used Acura TSX V6, but I think the Quiet Tuning (do they still use that term?) and more modern electronics make the Buick a better option.

What do you all think of the current Regal Turbo? Is there a much better replacement coming soon that I should know about? Also, do you anticipate some sort of major sale/incentive program coming soon, maybe at the end of the model year? I would also be interested to know if any of you can refer me for the supplier price...

My current car is a 2006 Acura TL, which I like fine but is getting old.

You could do no better than to trade in for the Buick Regal Turbo. They are outstanding rides and the Quiet tuning with performance is amazing. 

I know I am the Odd Shrek out at 6'6" tall so one thing to consider is if you have people over 6'2" tall they might find the back seat a bit tight for long drives otherwise a great car for the masses who want refined performance.

I really like the Regal myself.  It is about as close as you can get to an American Audi without the maintenance costs.  It is on our list as a possible replacement for our Encore sometime next year.  

There is nothing new on the horizon for the Regal, it was recently refreshed.

I just saw one yesterday that was not even a GS and I thought how well the styling has held up even as old as it is. They got the proportions and spacing just right on that design.

The next model will be a challenge to capture this magic again.

I also think the styling is really nice, much nicer than the current designs at Audi and Lexus. In a perfect world, I would like a car with full Android Auto integration, but it doesn't look like that's going to be released imminently. I think the power upgrade for the Turbo version in 2014, along with the interior upgrade, makes it a really solid contender.

Based on the lease offers I'm seeing, the MSRP must be grossly inflated--on Buick.com a configuration with an MSRP of like $36k had a lease offer of $220/month. At that price, we should all get one...

• Agree 1

I also think the styling is really nice, much nicer than the current designs at Audi and Lexus. In a perfect world, I would like a car with full Android Auto integration, but it doesn't look like that's going to be released imminently. I think the power upgrade for the Turbo version in 2014, along with the interior upgrade, makes it a really solid contender.

Based on the lease offers I'm seeing, the MSRP must be grossly inflated--on Buick.com a configuration with an MSRP of like $36k had a lease offer of $220/month. At that price, we should all get one...

That sounds like a steal, might be really low mileage though.   They have terrible depreciation rates, so I'm sure GM is subsidizing it. 

Oh, question for you guys: FWD or AWD? I'm leaning FWD at the moment since I suspect the AWD doesn't make much difference, but maybe I'm wrong. I think it adds like 300 lbs to the curb weight. 

Oh, question for you guys: FWD or AWD? I'm leaning FWD at the moment since I suspect the AWD doesn't make much difference, but maybe I'm wrong. I think it adds like 300 lbs to the curb weight. 

You're in the DC area right? You could probably get away with FWD + Snow Tires for the winter unless you have a driveway like mine. 

Man, Regal sales really stink. A dealer just emailed me out of the blue offering $6000 off right off the bat; I checked the sales figures and it's down over 25% from last year. That's bad. Their pain can be my gain, though...

Man, Regal sales really stink. A dealer just emailed me out of the blue offering $6000 off right off the bat; I checked the sales figures and it's down over 25% from last year. That's bad. Their pain can be my gain, though...

Yeah, they aren't doing well sales wise, but it isn't because they aren't a good car.   You can get everything an A4 has but the badge for $10k - $12k less.

I think comparing it with an A4 is a little bit too rich. I look at it more like a competitor to the Acura TLX and Volkswagen CC: sort of premium but not really luxury. The Regal interior looks nice for what it is but I think the A4 is probably a step up in terms of materials and build quality. But, that's the market segment I've been in with all my cars: Oldsmobile Intrigue, Saab 9-5, Acura TL, and now potentially a Regal. Good power, nice selection of features, comfy seats, what more do you need?

Edited by CSpec

I think comparing it with an A4 is a little bit too rich. I look at it more like a competitor to the Acura TLX and Volkswagen CC: sort of premium but not really luxury. The Regal interior looks nice for what it is but I think the A4 is probably a step up in terms of materials and build quality. But, that's the market segment I've been in with all my cars: Oldsmobile Intrigue, Saab 9-5, Acura TL, and now potentially a Regal. Good power, nice selection of features, comfy seats, what more do you need?

I was mostly referring to tech features.   I agree with you on the materials, but every Regal I've had seems to be built really well. 

I've been reading some reviews of the GS AWD, and the Haldex system actually sounds pretty impressive. 50-50 torque split at idle, plus the ability to send almost 100% of the power to the rear wheels. Brembo brakes, too. I also really like the big LCD screen in the gauge cluster, which you only get on the GS. My only concerns are some of the body trim pieces they put on, the huge "drug dealer wheels" (Jeremy Clarkson term), and the lowered ride height. I used to scrape the front air splitter on my Saab 9-5 Aero (lowered from non-Aero height) all the time. 

Edited by CSpec

I've been reading some reviews of the GS AWD, and the Haldex system actually sounds pretty impressive. 50-50 torque split at idle, plus the ability to send almost 100% of the power to the rear wheels. Brembo brakes, too. I also really like the big LCD screen in the gauge cluster, which you only get on the GS. My only concerns are some of the body trim pieces they put on, the huge "drug dealer wheels" (Jeremy Clarkson term), and the lowered ride height. I used to scrape the front air splitter on my Saab 9-5 Aero (lowered from non-Aero height) all the time. 

MotorTrend also compared it to an A4 and said they were close. 

I'm having some trouble figuring out if the Turbo AWD is the same as the GS AWD. I know the GS adds Brembo brakes, but is the AWD system and chassis otherwise the same between the two? They use the same engine.

Edited by CSpec

I'm having some trouble figuring out if the Turbo AWD is the same as the GS AWD. I know the GS adds Brembo brakes, but is the AWD system and chassis otherwise the same between the two? They use the same engine.

The engine isn't quite the same.  The GS engine makes the same peak horsepower and torque, but they've changed the torque curve on the GS so you get to the 295 lb-ft peak in the GS about 500rpm sooner (2,500 v. 3,000).  It doesn't sound like much, but it does make a difference when you drive it. 

The GS electronically controlled shocks are unique to the GS.

As for the AWD, I'm not sure but I think the systems are different with the GS using the higher end Haldex system from the XTS.  The Coms person from Buick just added me on Facebook last night, I sent him a note to ask about this detail and will let you know what he says.

Distinguishing the more-driver-oriented GS is a tuning tweak that moves the torque peak of 295 lb-ft down the tach (from 3000 rpm in the regular Regal to 2500 rpm in the GS), supposedly at the cost of some NVH

The GS has a high-performance (Hi-Per, in GM speak), torque-steer-mitigating front-strut design, and the all-wheel-drive version replaces the rear multilink suspension with a control-arm setup, both doing a better job of keeping the tires firmly planted throughout the suspension travel. The Regal GS gets bigger brakes from Brembo, rides lower, and has standard 19-inch wheels or optional 20s (the latter clad in summer-only Pirelli P Zero tires). The driver can choose Sport and GS modes via dashboard buttons; they call for firmer suspension, tighter steering, and sharper shift behavior for the automatic.

That $6,000 discount is surreal.

Thanks guys--leaning more towards the GS at the moment. I couldn't find any specs for the ground clearance, but comparing pictures of the Turbo and GS it looks like the ground clearance is the same but the GS has different body molding and bumpers that make it look a little lower. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going to look at a GS AWD today, fully loaded with metallic paint and both Driver Confidence packages. MSRP is $45,000 but the dealer is advertising it for $39,579. I think there's still significant room for them to go down further...

It has the standard 19" wheels, not the optional 20"ers.

Listing here: http://www.koonschevybuickgmc.com/new/Buick/2015-Buick-Regal-vienna-virginia-d693307b0a0a00653722897a39ceab70.htm

Going to look at a GS AWD today, fully loaded with metallic paint and both Driver Confidence packages. MSRP is $45,000 but the dealer is advertising it for $39,579. I think there's still significant room for them to go down further...

Listing here: http://www.koonschevybuickgmc.com/new/Buick/2015-Buick-Regal-vienna-virginia-d693307b0a0a00653722897a39ceab70.htm

Nice, has the active cruise control.... you'll love that in traffic.

I can get the GM Supplier Price through my employer, but the "discount" they offer is less than what the dealer is advertising. Can I take the discount off the negotiated price or is it useless in this case? 

I can get the GM Supplier Price through my employer, but the "discount" they offer is less than what the dealer is advertising. Can I take the discount off the negotiated price or is it useless in this case? 

Supplier price usually doesn't work with any other rebates or incentives (some exceptions may apply), and that dealer discount is just about guaranteed to be just that, a combination of all available rebates and incentives, some of which you may qualify for and others you won't.  Probably once you find out which you qualify for the supplier price will turn out to be the better bargain.

Edit:  That kind of advertising is deceptive, but not technically false advertising because it's possible, though highly unlikely, to qualify for all of the possible discounts.  It tends to make for angry customers when they get into the store and find out that they can't get that advertised price, but it's pretty common practice across the industry.

Edited by SalesmanSean

Thanks, I'll see what happens at the dealership. I'm hoping to turn that $45k into more like $35k so we'll see how that goes.

Good luck.  I know that wouldn't work out here, because at that point there is just nothing in it for us anymore, but depending on where you are, bigger dealers in bigger cities are sometimes more willing/able to take a bigger loss on things like that, especially depending on how long it's been on their lot.

Alright I just drove an AWD Regal GS, a FWD Regal GS, and a Verano Turbo. I was honestly underwhelmed by the Regal--I like the styling, but the interior wasn't great and it felt sluggish. Interior trim pieces flexed and creaked easily when you push on them, and the capacitive touch buttons for the temp control are as bad as the reviews make them out to be. I thought the Verano actually drove better, but I don't like the styling on that car and the interior is a mess. If the Verano looked better I would have chosen it without thinking about it. As it is, I'm back to the drawing board. Perhaps an Acura TLX is in my future, or maybe even an ATS. 

Edited by CSpec

Alright I just drove an AWD Regal GS, a FWD Regal GS, and a Verano Turbo. I was honestly underwhelmed by the Regal--I like the styling, but the interior wasn't great and it felt sluggish. Interior trim pieces flexed and creaked easily when you push on them, and the capacitive touch buttons for the temp control are as bad as the reviews make them out to be. I thought the Verano actually drove better, but I don't like the styling on that car and the interior is a mess. If the Verano looked better I would have chosen it without thinking about it. As it is, I'm back to the drawing board. Perhaps an Acura TLX is in my future, or maybe even an ATS. 

We just got a red ATS coupe in used, was a former company car, only 45 miles on it.  Man, those things are sweet.  If I was thinking about a new Buick, I would definitely check out a used Cadillac if I could get one for the same or close to the same money.  ATS is definitely a well-put-together car in my opinion.

$40k for a Buick Regal?!?!  No way is it worth it.  Could get a year old 335i or IS350, C-class, etc.  Probably a year old CTS even for that money.

$40k for a Buick Regal?!?!  No way is it worth it.  Could get a year old 335i or IS350, C-class, etc.  Probably a year old CTS even for that money.

I'm with you on the CTS....  Not sure what CSpec's tastes are, but the others wouldn't even enter into it for me, just plain ugly boring cars.  Not that the Regal is that exciting in the looks department, either, but a little better at least.

I think, from his earlier posts, he's looking to lease.

I was floored to see that there are 2011 BMW 550i's out there for under $30k. That's a hell of a lot of car for the money; I think they're so cheap because they get pretty terrible mileage. But 400 hp V8 and a luxury German interior is pretty enticing. 

The Regal GS is nicer than you guys give it credit for. You can option a Fusion or Optima close to $40,000 now, at least the Regal GS has advanced AWD, selectable sport suspension, and runs high 14s with a performance tuned drivetrain. Not that many new luxury cars give you as much for the money. You'd only be looking at stripper models of smaller cars like the 3 series.

The thing is, the Regal, in all due respect, is a really nice Malibu. Or what the Malibu should have been without the Regal. The Lacrosse is barely more expensive, yet is so much more car. The Regal sits in a stupid segment positioning. Even a Lincoln MKZ is more towards what the Regal should have been, because it isn't toting around a design from 2008. 

The Regal is simply a day late and a dollar short in the premium midsize segment. Either a TLX or a MKZ is more appropriate, because they're fresher; but the same kind of vehicle in terms of what they deliver.  

The thing is, the Regal, in all due respect, is a really nice Malibu. Or what the Malibu should have been without the Regal. The Lacrosse is barely more expensive, yet is so much more car. The Regal sits in a stupid segment positioning. Even a Lincoln MKZ is more towards what the Regal should have been, because it isn't toting around a design from 2008. 

The Regal is simply a day late and a dollar short in the premium midsize segment. Either a TLX or a MKZ is more appropriate, because they're fresher; but the same kind of vehicle in terms of what they deliver.  

That's not quite accurate. The Malibu and Regal were designed and engineered separately, which is why they share no hardpoints in the interiors and the cargo capacities are different. The Regal is even smaller than the Malibu in back and has a smaller trunk, a sign of the european Opel development. The MKZ has significant Fusion roots that you can see when you look at them side by side, so your comparison is ironic in that sense.

I'm not arguing the Regal's failed marketing position, though. That's obvious from the sales alone. However, I've been in pre and post refresh Regals and I was impressed by the interior. Moreso than $40-50k Acuras, which is really the segment Buick is going for. I don't fault CSpec for his reaction with the high-end expectations he had.

That's not quite accurate. The Malibu and Regal were designed and engineered separately, which is why they share no hardpoints in the interiors and the cargo capacities are different. The Regal is even smaller than the Malibu in back and has a smaller trunk, a sign of the european Opel development. The MKZ has significant Fusion roots that you can see when you look at them side by side, so your comparison is ironic in that sense.

I'm not arguing the Regal's failed marketing position, though. That's obvious from the sales alone. However, I've been in pre and post refresh Regals and I was impressed by the interior. Moreso than $40-50k Acuras, which is really the segment Buick is going for. I don't fault CSpec for his reaction with the high-end expectations he had.

No, I actually wanted the irony. It doesn't really matter if the Regal is superior because it's different from the Malibu. Because the MKZ is far closer to the Fusion, yet is the more compelling product. Again, being a largely unchanged car from 2008 just isn't helping the Regal. Sure, a new engine and face-lift helps; but right now's the time for a full redesign, not carry over refreshes

Edited by Suaviloquent

What has always impressed me about the Regal is the balance of the chassis.  It is probably one of the best balanced FWD cars out there along with the Mazda 6.   It's not the fastest 0-60 in its segment, but I did take a GS AWD out on the same track as the ATS-V and the handling aspect felt great for what it is.

Yeah. It's one of those cars that has really aged gracefullly; yet now it's the oldest in its segment niche. And I can't help but state how the Lacrosse is mere hundreds of dollars more comparatively equipped. I really don't think the Regal has any luxury credibility; because it's basically and Opel Insignia. If that's true; its biggest competitor is a Ford Mondeo. 

With a little further extrapolation; does this look good on the Fusion or on the Regal? The Fusion is the Ford Mondeo. And a Mondeo competes against the Insignia and Passat and Euro Accord. And the Regal is an Insignia. 

This comes with the bigger problem of keeping the sole midlevel Buick offering relevant. If it continues to be the badge swap of the Insignia; it'll never be more than what it is; a Euro flavored Chevy Malibu. It doesn't matter what the chassis tuning they use to keep it separate from the Malibu; GM wants to see the Malibu succeed finally; and I can't help but think that if this Malibu is just as competent in every area as the next Insignia other than interior materials; it'll be absolutely correct to call the next Regal a fancy Chevy; not a Buick.

But, they evidently found out that artificially keeping prices up with the 2.0T only hurt sales; so now they're going to share even more with the Malibu.

The Regal got kneecapped by the fact that it was supposed to be a Saturn, and therefore not have a similarly-sized and powered Verano to compete against in the showroom to begin with. The events of '08 changed all that of course, and the Regal languished. Hopefully the next versions of each car will be better-differentiated, because neither of them is a bad car per se.

Regal is a great car, I'd love one, but here is what ruined it.

1-Regal name i think still carries old image, despite that it has lots of equity with the older demographic.  Hard to envision a new Regal with a Euro personality when the old Regals reek of typical domestic.  Should they have called it Insignia?

2-Heavy

3-Poor mpg in just about all configs, the base 2.4 non turbo in particular has no mpg benefit

4-Expensive MSRP, but GM has this issue in general.

5-The 2.4 was in a lot of the 2011, 2012 when they launched it and it has no performance in addition to the poor mpg

6-Verano is not significantly smaller but is noticeably cheaper

7-LaCrosse is larger in the back but not much more pricey

8-Malibu is possibly perceived as same car and is cheaper, hurts Regals ability to sell for more

9-tight back seat

10-melted styling

11-GS performs but is not bleeding edge in that regard

12-GS lets you have AWD or a stick, but not both

13-many/most Regal interiors are ALL BLACK, so much black its dreary and needs SOME brightwork or relief

14-Adding a coupe or wagon to the line may have helped

15-AWD late to the party

there's more should i keep going.  keep in mind, i love the car.....

• 4 months later...

Well after a few months of thinking about it, I finally pounced on something this morning:

lo9hnjk.jpg

It's a 2013 VW CC V6 Lux (that's the FWD V6 model). It's a factory certified car and has 23,000 miles. I paid $21,300 which I think is a pretty good deal. The styling is fantastic. 

• Agree 3

Well after a few months of thinking about it, I finally pounced on something this morning:

lo9hnjk.jpg

It's a 2013 VW CC V6 Lux (that's the FWD V6 model). It's a factory certified car and has 23,000 miles. I paid $21,300 which I think is a pretty good deal. The styling is fantastic. 

Congrats, on your new ride. Enjoy it. :)