FCA US LLC Reports April 2015 U.S. Sales Increased 6 Percent; Best April Sales Since 2007

• 61st-consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains
  • Jeep® brand sales up 20 percent; best monthly sales ever
  • Jeep Cherokee sales increase 27 percent; best monthly sales ever
  • Dodge Challenger sales up 32 percent; best monthly sales ever
  • Nine FCA US vehicles post sales records in April

May 1, 2015 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported U.S. sales of 189,027 units, a 6 percent increase compared with sales in April 2014 (178,652 units), and the group’s best April sales since 2007.

The Chrysler, Jeep® and Ram Truck brands each posted year-over-year sales gains in April compared with the same month a year ago. The Chrysler brand’s 26 percent increase was the largest sales gain of any FCA US brand during the month. The group extended its streak of year-over-year sales gains to 61-consecutive months.

“We launched the spring selling season with nine vehicle sales records and a 6 percent year-over-year increase that extends our sales streak to 61-consecutive months of sales gains,” said Reid Bigland, Head of U.S. Sales. “Our all-new Jeep Renegade small SUV is off to an exceptional start with more than 4,200 units sold in its first full month in the market helping to propel our Jeep brand to its best monthly sales ever.”

Nine FCA US vehicles set records in the month of April, including the Dodge Challenger, which posted its best monthly sales ever. Challenger sales were up 32 percent in April compared with the same month a year ago. Likewise, the all-new Jeep Cherokee had its best monthly sales ever last month with its 27 percent increase. The Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Patriot, Chrysler 200, Dodge Dart, Dodge Journey, Ram pickup truck and Ram ProMaster each recorded their best April sales ever. The 200 mid-size sedan achieved its record with a 348 percent year-over-year increase, the largest percentage increase of any FCA US vehicle in April.

FCA US finished the month of April with a 78-day supply of inventory (567,761 units). U.S. industry sales figures for April are internally projected at an estimated 17.0 million units Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate (SAAR).

Chrysler Brand

Chrysler brand sales increased 26 percent, the brand’s best April sales since 2013 and its 10th-consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains. Sales of the Chrysler 200 were up 348 percent in April, the mid-size sedan’s best ever sales in the month of April and the largest year-over-year percentage gain of any FCA US vehicle in the month. It was the eight-consecutive month that the 200 logged record sales, including its all-time sales record in March of this year. The all-new 200 was named “Car of the Year” in April by the Rocky Mountain Automotive Press (RMAP) association. Also in April, the new Chrysler 300C Platinum made Ward’s prestigious 10 Best Interiors List for 2015.

Jeep® Brand

Jeep brand sales were up 20 percent, the brand’s best monthly sales ever and its 19th-consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains. The Jeep brand has set a sales record in each month dating back to November 2013. Three Jeep brand vehicles set records in April. The Cherokee’s 27 percent increase resulted in its best monthly sales ever. The Wrangler and Patriot each logged their best ever sales in the month of April. With its 27 percent year-over-year increase, the new Cherokee had the largest sales percentage gain of any Jeep model for the month. The all-new Jeep Renegade, the most capable small sport utility vehicle (SUV), recorded 4,214 units sold in its first full month of sales.

The Renegade picked up a major award in its first full month in the market. The Renegade was named to the Ward’s 10 Best Interiors List for 2015 last month by editors of WardsAuto.com. In addition, the Renegade was named Northwest Outdoor Activity Vehicle of the Year and winner of the Compact Utility category in last month’s 21st-annual “Mudfest” competition hosted by the Northwest Automotive Press Association (NWAPA). The Cherokee was voted winner of the Family Utility class in the same competition.

Ram Truck Brand

Ram Truck brand sales, which include the Ram pickup truck, Ram ProMaster, Ram ProMaster City, and Ram Cargo Van, were up 4 percent, the brand’s best April sales since 2005. Sales of the Ram ProMaster increased 43 percent, the full-size van’s best April sales since the vehicle was launched in October 2013. Sales of the Ram ProMaster City, which went on sale in January, continued to ramp up as greater volumes of the compact van arrived at Ram dealerships. Sales of the Ram pickup truck were up 3 percent in April, the pickup’s best ever sales in the month of April. The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel was named “Truck of the Year” last month by the Rocky Mountain Automotive Press (RMAP) association and was winner in the Pickups category at last month’s “Mudfest” competition hosted by the Northwest Automotive Press Association (NWAPA). The Ram Power Wagon was voted winner of the Extreme Capability category at Mudfest.

FIAT Brand

Sales of the Fiat 500L were flat in April, compared with the same month a year ago. FIAT brand sales, which include the Fiat 500 and 500L, were down 13 percent in April. Just in time for the spring and summer top-down driving season, the FIAT brand introduced in April the new Fiat 500 1957 Edition Cabrio. This new addition to the FIAT brand product lineup offers vintage Italian styling with open-air driving excitement, starting at $24,700 U.S. MSRP.

Dodge Brand

Sales of the Challenger were up 32 percent in April, the muscle car’s best monthly sales ever. The Dart posted its best ever sales in the month of April. Sales of the Dart were up 42 percent, the largest percentage sales gain of any Dodge brand vehicle in April. The Charger posted a 12 percent increase for its best April sales in seven years. Dodge brand sales were down 16 percent in April, compared with the same month a year ago, due in large part to model changeover at the Windsor Assembly Plant in Windsor, Ontario, where the Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country are built.

post-10485-0-27601300-1430489216_thumb.j

The Renegade outsold the Trax.  I wounder if that will turn into a trend  I'm glad to see 200 sales are way up and Dart sales also up a decent percentage.  Hopefully those bumps are due to the Avenger inventory running out and not big fleet orders.  BOTH Caravan and T&C down big!  I wonder what is going on there.

I must be Canadian as I see threw an unnecessary u in wonder. LOL  I need to pay closer attention to the spell checker.  :blush:

I haven't priced out a Trax.  I assumed it would be the same price or even slightly cheaper than a comparably equipped Renegade (which I have priced out :) ).  I guess I have some homework to do.

• Agree 1

I find it too funny that the Wrangler-or-nothing crowd continues to be proven wrong regarding the Cherokee and Renegade.  Not to mention the plucky little Patriot, still waving the flag.

• Agree 2

I find it too funny that the Wrangler-or-nothing crowd continues to be proven wrong regarding the Cherokee and Renegade.  Not to mention the plucky little Patriot, still waving the flag.

There are a lot of people out there who can't justify a Wrangler or can afford a Grand Cherokee, yet really want a Jeep. Not exactly rocket science for Jeep to offer something to those people.

• Agree 3

FCA keeps having a massive success with each new vehicle. Renegade outsells its competition in its first full month, 200 has finally caught on and if it keeps up its pace, will outsells most of its competitors, Cherokee sales are still going up along with Ram sales. Really, the only weak spot is Fiat. 

• Agree 1

The 200 is selling well, looks like they actually came up with a winner.

I don't get how the Compass and Patriot are still on sale, let alone people actually buy them.  Those haven't be redesigned in 10 years it seems, and the new Renegage and Cherokee are similar size and price for more entry level Jeeps.  They should kill the Compass off now, maybe keep the boxy Patriot.

Or sell this company to VW and be done with it.  The Chrysler 200 is selling, the Passat is not.  VW has no minivan or commercial van or pickup, so the Ram Tucks don't overlap, and Jeep is proving that they still sell and Jeep is a valuable brand.   Rework the Dart to a Chrysler 100, the 200 sells, keep the 300 and Town and Country.  Kill Dodge and Fiat, let the 38 people a month that want an Alfa special order it. 

Or sell this company to VW and be done with it.  The Chrysler 200 is selling, the Passat is not.  VW has no minivan or commercial van or pickup, so the Ram Tucks don't overlap, and Jeep is proving that they still sell and Jeep is a valuable brand.   Rework the Dart to a Chrysler 100, the 200 sells, keep the 300 and Town and Country.  Kill Dodge and Fiat, let the 38 people a month that want an Alfa special order it. 

VW has plenty of their own brands to kill first before buying up other companies to kill.  

The Ram truck alone outsold all of SEAT by 100k units last year... and VW USA is being vastly outsold by little Subaru and with even Mazda  and Chrysler brands (three cars... three!) are each within 50k units of overtaking them as of end of 2014.  

Jeep alone outsold VW and Audi combined by 144k units. 

They can dump SEAT and Skoda also.  Jeep and Ram are the profit centers of FCA, at least in the USA.  I am just saying if VW were to buy them, then you don't need VW, Chrysler and Dodge brands, so either Chrysler or VW has to go away.  The other option is move the 300 and repackage it as a $35-45,000 Phaeton, move the 200 to be a new Dodge Avenger and kill the Chrysler brand.  Then Dodge would have the Dart, Avenger, Charger, Challenger, a real 4 car lineup, plus the Journey and Caravan.  VW would get a full size car and resurrect the Routan to replace Town and Country.

• Disagree 2

They can dump SEAT and Skoda also.  Jeep and Ram are the profit centers of FCA, at least in the USA.  I am just saying if VW were to buy them, then you don't need VW, Chrysler and Dodge brands, so either Chrysler or VW has to go away.  The other option is move the 300 and repackage it as a $35-45,000 Phaeton, move the 200 to be a new Dodge Avenger and kill the Chrysler brand.  Then Dodge would have the Dart, Avenger, Charger, Challenger, a real 4 car lineup, plus the Journey and Caravan.  VW would get a full size car and resurrect the Routan to replace Town and Country.

So you really need to.. .like... do some basic Googling before you post.  SEAT, yes they could dump, but Skoda sold over a million units in 2014 with strong and steady growth since 2002. 

It's a good thing you're not CEO of anything.

• Agree 2

And some googling shows Skoda took a $570 million loss in 2013.  And that is with a line of products based on the Golf platform, and the Superb is a Passat.  They are losing money to resell what they already designed and paid for at VW.  VW could replace most of the Skoda line with VW brand cars, and if they owned Fiat, the Panda, Punto and 500L could fill in the gaps that the Golf, Jetta and Tiguan don't cover.  Skoda is just VW's Pontiac, and volume does not equal strength.

• Disagree 2

And some googling shows Skoda took a $570 million loss in 2013.  And that is with a line of products based on the Golf platform, and the Superb is a Passat.  They are losing money to resell what they already designed and paid for at VW.  VW could replace most of the Skoda line with VW brand cars, and if they owned Fiat, the Panda, Punto and 500L could fill in the gaps that the Golf, Jetta and Tiguan don't cover.  Skoda is just VW's Pontiac, and volume does not equal strength.

that sounds like some old-GM style accounting right there....  losing $570 million on 1 million units who's designs that have already completed their life-cycle at the VW brand and are now being resold after mild facelifts? 

volume does not equal strength.

• Agree 1

VW already has a massively profitable luxury group, adding Ram and Jeep to their mix would make them stronger, because Ram and Jeep are profit centers.  If they bought FCA they would not need Fiat, Chrysler, Dodge, Skoda, Seat, and Lancia.  They could dump half the brands, and rebadge the models they want to existing brands.  Then you take 6 brands into maybe 2 or 3, and VW brand obviously stays, so you get 3-4 strong mainstream brands to go with the luxury powerhouse they already have.

The Problem with GM's 8 brand strategy is Pontiac, Saturn, Oldmobile, Buick and GMC were all on some level competing with Chevrolet and each other.  VW with FCA could cover the entire market from 3rd world city car, to American pickup truck to $300,000 luxury sedan to $2 million sports car.  They can go from Fiat Panda to Bugatti Chiron and everything in between with massive economies of scale and dealer network.

How did this thread get moronically off topic? VW will never buy Chrysler...not going to happen. I did test drive a 300 with the new 8 speed, the eight speed is fantastic. Also, I have had Darts as rentals, along with other Chrysler company rentals. I will say this...the era of Calibers and Avengers I spent years ranting about seems to he dead and buried.

Wondering what happened, but the quality seems to be way up. Would seriously consider a Dart SXT to replace the Cooper S when the Jetta is paid off...

Also like the restyle on the Charger and 300...

But the pentastar V6 and 8 speed auto...that combo is the cats ass IMHO...fantastic!

• Agree 3

I also had an ohhhh crap why did I not think of that moment when I test drove the 300... The information and entertainment system is more user friendly in the Chrysler products than Ford, GM, Toyota,Honda, etc...wonder if that is driving sales?

It certainly could not hurt...

VW already has a massively profitable luxury group, adding Ram and Jeep to their mix would make them stronger, because Ram and Jeep are profit centers.  If they bought FCA they would not need Fiat, Chrysler, Dodge, Skoda, Seat, and Lancia.  They could dump half the brands, and rebadge the models they want to existing brands.  Then you take 6 brands into maybe 2 or 3, and VW brand obviously stays, so you get 3-4 strong mainstream brands to go with the luxury powerhouse they already have.

The Problem with GM's 8 brand strategy is Pontiac, Saturn, Oldmobile, Buick and GMC were all on some level competing with Chevrolet and each other.  VW with FCA could cover the entire market from 3rd world city car, to American pickup truck to $300,000 luxury sedan to $2 million sports car.  They can go from Fiat Panda to Bugatti Chiron and everything in between with massive economies of scale and dealer network.

Again:

Chrysler Brand - 308,785 units sold - 3 models and one model base price is $30,000

Volkswagen Brand - 366,970 units sold - 11 models - only 1 model base prices above $30,000.

Why on earth would a CEO want to close Chrysler Brand in favor of VW brand if they have both in their portfolio?

You see Chrysler as a damaged brand. It isn't... it is a successful brand waiting for more models. VW is the damaged brand and their crashing sales figures show it. The entire brand is being supported on the Golf and TDI models right now.

Ocn is right that the Europeans are more patriotic than Americans. The national brands have to stay for that reason alone.

• Agree 2

How did this thread get moronically off topic? VW will never buy Chrysler...not going to happen. I did test drive a 300 with the new 8 speed, the eight speed is fantastic. Also, I have had Darts as rentals, along with other Chrysler company rentals. I will say this...the era of Calibers and Avengers I spent years ranting about seems to he dead and buried.

Wondering what happened, but the quality seems to be way up. Would seriously consider a Dart SXT to replace the Cooper S when the Jetta is paid off...

But the pentastar V6 and 8 speed auto...that combo is the cats ass IMHO...fantastic!

The Pentastar + 8speed is probably the best V6 powertrain out there right now. It's a shame Chrysler todesn't get more credit for it.

• Agree 4

I believe the European car buyer is much more patriotic in his car buying habits than Americans, who do not seem to give a crap.  VW needs to keep Skoda and SEAT.

Not the British..they seem to buy any cheap junk that comes to their market...Proton, SsangYong, Lada in the past, etc.. and the German luxury makes outsell Jaguar and Land Rover in the UK, I believe..

The Audi A6 outsells the entire Chrysler brand.  300,000 is not a lot of cars to VW who sells 10 million cars.  They could repackage products to different brands.  Pontiac sold 400,000 units a year, GM is making more money without them than they did with them.  The only reason for VW to buy FCA is Jeep and Ram pickups because of the profit margins on those, they don't really need the rest, which is why they won't buy them.

I've driven a 300 with the Pentastar and 8-speed.  The transmission is fine, non complaints about it, the V6 is average.  Not as smooth or quiet as others, not really all that punchy either.  I'd rate the Pentastar better than the Hyundai 3.8 liter or the non ecoboost Ford 3.5 liter V6, but there are a lot of better ones out there.  When I drove the 300 I wasn't impressed.

• Disagree 1

Wow, did you ever do a 180 on Chrysler.  It seems like not too long ago I was trying to convince to sit in a Durango and perhaps you might start to change your mind!  I guess it worked. lol

The Pentastar + 8speed is probably the best V6 powertrain out there right now. It's a shame Chrysler todesn't get more credit for it.

I agree with you both on the Pentastar and 8 speed.  I have to say my wife's 300 w/ V6 and 8 speed feels only marginally slower than my Hemi + 5 speed Charger that I had before the 300.  I actually enjoy driving the 300 more because of the powertrain combo.  It's a sweet combo and our only 100% highway tank on our recent trip netted 31 MPG which is pretty darn respectable for a huge (but oddly nimble) tank of a car.  My parents just drove their Durango to Michigan from Florida and I think my Dad said they averaged just over 25 mpg.

• Agree 1

They fixed a lot of what was wrong with the company. I won't be buying a Certified Pre Owned Avenger any time soon...

I think they are getting the fit and finish right...interior build quality is up. As a blue collar guy, I hate tools that feel like they are built without a passion...chryco of 2008feels passionless. Chryco of 2015 is a whole different animal.

Was a fan of the pre 74 stuff as a kid and a teenager. Did not like decades of k cars and such. But 2015 Chrysler feels a lot like 1970 Chrysler in a really good sort of way.

The Audi A6 outsells all of Chrysler... Where are we talking...the suburbs of Paris France maybe? As for reality and the American market...

In the world.  VW as a global company cares about global sales.  It is easy in the USA to think of Audi as a small brand, until you look that they sold 763,000 cars in Europe last year and another 579,000 in China. 

VW brand sold 6 million cars last year, but they only have 2% market share in the USA.  Buying FCA and leveraging some of those products/dealers could bolster their position in the USA.  VW doesn't need the American market, but it would be foolish to turn their back on it.

On the flip side, how long is FCA going to survive with their limited product lines and cars like the 300 and Charger that go back to 2005.  If not for Jeep they'd probably go bankrupt again, and I still think Sergio's grand plan is to sell off the company at some point to cash out, since they bought Chrysler on the cheap in the first place.

• Disagree 1

They are selling cars hand over fist...why would Chrysler be sold to VW? Besides Chrysler has an excellent understanding of the US market... VW has less of an understanding of the market than they did in 1948 when they first showed up here.