Chevrolet News:Spying: Chevrolet Cruze Minus Camo

Well what do we have here? A new set of spy shots show off the next-generation Chevrolet Cruze without any camouflage - most likely due to the model being part of a photoshoot.

The overall shape of the new Cruze is very striking and takes some ideas from the new Malibu and Volt with a rising beltline and sloping roof. Other details to take into consideration is a new design of the split grille, headlights, and flared out fenders.

The new Cruze is expected to get the turbocharged 1.5L four-cylinder that was introduced in the Malibu earlier this year. A diesel and plug-in hybrid are rumored to be available as well.

The Cruze is expected to debut at the LA Auto Show in November.

Source: Left Lane News

View full article

It does bring the Kia Forte to mind like Uncle Dave said, but like Cory said, maybe it's the camera lens.  Weird rear bumper likely an RS item.  After the criticism of the black triangle, they've doubled down on that element with this one.  I am sure once we see it in the metal, it will look good though.

I has fears we would get the Chinese version at first but when the add with the 5 new models were in shadow I saw the nose of this car had a Cruze nose with proper grills. This told me we were not getting the car from China.

GM pretty much has brought the Cruze and Volt together closer. With the Malibu Hybrid and CT6 also getting Volt like packages in they cars I wonder if they will roll the Volt into the Cruze as they expand the Voltec line into more models.

In other words GM will grow the Volt line in most of their cars and the Volt itself in a gen or two will just be a Model of the Cruze.

I like the car but I am not keen on the side view with the tall hood to fender area. It may just be the photo so I will not rush to judgment. The car other wise looks up scale and I love the blue on it.

Designing a small sedan is one of the toughest things to do today. To make it Practical, Stylish, Usable and Aero you have to pack a lot into a small area. As for looking like other models most cars today do and if they are already popular sellers that will not hurt a thing. I really do not think many will mistake the bow tie on this one for anything but a Chevy. The nose has the new Chevy face we were told was coming .

This looks great IMO.. as I loved the new Volt, this car is just as great as that one and more, but without the same grille work it loses the similarities to the Acura designs. This one looks more upscale and luxo than the current model before the facelift. The current one with the facelift was an obvious precursor to what we would be seeing thru out the Chevy line.. just as the recently debuted Malibu was. 

Finally I think that Chevy will have a name that isn't marred by BS and cheap materials. The Cavalier lasted for 3 Generation.. I have a feeling that this one will go well beyond that, as it has earned a rep that signifies acceptance in the market place, of quality workmanship and great tech and fuel economy. 1.5L turbocharged four-cylinder engine, A dual-clutch transmission, and return of the diesel engine option is welcome and a continued and concerted effort to retain leadership in that fuel economy. There is also speculation that this car will be getting Voltec as well. Meaning that Chevy will have two Hybrids in the line and two all out EVs. Anyone questioning this hasn't been listening for the past 9 years about compliance needs for CAFE.. which kick in soon. 

Well...  they sell a lot of Cruzes..  The Volt was distinctive, but maybe it was too out there for potential buyers and now Volt is in line with the Cruze so they will compliment reach other in the show room?  I do not know.. I am just thinking..  I do not think the new Cruze is unattractive. It looks better than the current car.

current Cruze is a classic chevy design and might be the best received Chevy design this decade. However, it was looking dated.

This follows up on it, leaves a more laid back look for something cab forwardy (which I hope is coming back).  It brings in a futuristic look on the same platform and guts mainly which is amazing. It manages to look American and yet comparable to Asian cars at the same time (like the Civic most particularly).  This helps Chevy win over new buyers, particularly Asian intenders.

The car also has a youthful look, so will lure in younger buyers as well.

If you look at the Volt interior, the Cruze interior will be very close to that also.  Its a home run inside and out.

With good looks inside and out, new tech and powertrains, more space, this should be a good seller for Chevy.  They will overprice it though, and not produce enough for launch plus the existing Cruze will continue...so all that will conspire for a typically slow botched GM car launch.

Real curious to see if the diesel actually carries over.  If it does, i bet it will hit 50 mpg rating.

Fantastic strategy to bring the Cruze and Volt together.  Now the Volt is basically a Cruze hatch.  Maybe the Cruze will get a hatch option.  The grennhouse design of the new Cruze would easily adapt to a coupe (2 door, ahem) as well without much fuss.  I think they should bring the 2 door to market too.

Don't really like it myself, tho it does appear to be a nice evolution of the current design theme.

To me, the rear looks like they tried to combine all other models (impala, malibu, Camaro, Volt).  Guess that's just GM making noses & tails the same for better-easier identification?

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Believe half of what you see" __ Marvin Gaye __ 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine'

Guest hyperv6

Well It has a little Ford, Kia, Hyundai and Honda with some new Malibu in it.

The old car was good but has really grown old with the Passat like roof line. It was good but in this segment you need to remain current.

This one should sell well as it look like most of the current best sellers. The talk hood and tires that even thought they are large look small on this one.

I just hope the lesser models still have that upscale look about them and do not look like a base car even if they are. That is the part of this segment that can make a winner fast is to have a entry car that does not appear to be an entry level car.

As for the Volt/Cruze Chevy all along wants the Volt to be like a regular car so they made it look like a regular car. It should do well as it does not look like a science experiment or an Apple product. With so many other models adopting the similar electric system I would not be surprised If at some point the Volt is folded over into the Cruze line as the electric version. GM is on a big push for electric and I expect all models will have some electric version soon along side the gas models.

The real news here I expect will be a major weight drop and jump in MPG. If the Volt dropped as much as it did they should do even better here. I would expect this to be at least 2900 pounds or even less.

I'm seeing the Chevy TRU 140s concept car in a lot of this Cruze design with some additional Corvette-inspired styling in the rear.  Not sure how I like it just yet, but will reserve final judgement until the official release this fall.  So far I will say I'm not disgusted with it, but see a lot of Asian influence in its design (a'la Honda Civic).

Yeah...Super, It probably will be a great little car. But its a big yuck for me in the looks department. 

I much prefer the new gen Volt.

(I think I will do blue colour for my posts....just to stand out...you know...its not as if Im an extrovert or anything...) :spin:

Yup...about the Cruze SS....and the kicker...Gm has got one it Europe all ready to go...via  Opel , however...there is a thread today about GM's business case for something like this...Ill chiume in later in the afternoon for that chat as I cant continue now...flipping burgers is what I gotta do...see you folk later.

I was behind a brand new current body Cruze in traffic today.  It was in dark green and LTZ trim..... quite handsome actually, it looks above it's station in life. 

Yeah I have always thought this. The Cruze is a borderline premium car when U get down to it. The Corolla, Civic, Focus, and Elantra look low rent IMO. The Cruze and Mazda3 look like they belong in the same segment as a Verano or TSX

I was behind a brand new current body Cruze in traffic today.  It was in dark green and LTZ trim..... quite handsome actually, it looks above it's station in life. 

Yeah I have always thought this. The Cruze is a borderline premium car when U get down to it. The Corolla, Civic, Focus, and Elantra look low rent IMO. The Cruze and Mazda3 look like they belong in the same segment as a Verano or TSX

Ill agree 100% about the Mazda 3.

Ill agree 95% with the Cruze...pre-refresh Cruze. I havent seen the refreshed Cruze just yet to have an opinion about it.

The  first gen. Cruze, especially in LTZ trim, or even in RS trim looks great...even today...when the car is a 7 year old design already.

The reason why I knocked off 5%, is because I have an issue with the Bow Tie on the Cruze. Although a gold Bow Tie does not bother me...it does not look good on a Cruze, body coloured or a aluminium finished look Bow Tie would look more luxurious on the Cruze.

Edited by oldshurst442

Ill agree 95% with the Cruze...pre-refresh Cruze. I havent seen the refreshed Cruze just yet to have an opinion about it.

The  first gen. Cruze, especially in LTZ trim, or even in RS trim looks great...even today...when the car is a 7 year old design already.

The reason why I knocked off 5%, is because I have an issue with the Bow Tie on the Cruze. Although a gold Bow Tie does not bother me...it does not look good on a Cruze, body coloured or a aluminium finished look Bow Tie would look more luxurious on the Cruze.

Uuuum.. make it the color U want... U can get Chevy Emblems in any color.. or make it yourself

tonis002.jpg

Never have liked the gold bow tie.

The plastic covers also in harsher weather areas look like hell in a couple years.

My HHR I replaced mine with a polished billet now it is no longer in the winter. It now matches the wheels.

Uuuum.. make it the color U want... U can get Chevy Emblems in any color.. or make it yourself

tonis002.jpg

I did not know they made those.

But then again...how silly of me to think that. The aftermarket world is insanely huge.

And of course...make one yourself.

My 2005 Impala SS' Bow Tie was blue. The irony of that...I did not like it because it was...blue. I would have preferred it to be the gold Bow Tie...you know...all black car...many a time I thought of painting it myself...but in snowy, salty and sandy/tiny tiny rocky (for the ice in winter) road conditions , it would simply chip very quickly and would look worse....so I left it alone.

The Cruze has definitely been a cut above others in the class from a refinement and quality-feel perspective for the last several years. I almost just bought my wife a Cruze LTZ, but bought a 4Runner instead.

How did you go from a super efficient compact to a midsize suv?? I'm a fan of the current Cruze. Had a 2LT rental and the leather seats blew me away. Super comfortable and supportive. The interior was just very nice in general. Engine had peppy midrange, too.

The Cruze has definitely been a cut above others in the class from a refinement and quality-feel perspective for the last several years. I almost just bought my wife a Cruze LTZ, but bought a 4Runner instead.

How did you go from a super efficient compact to a midsize suv?? I'm a fan of the current Cruze. Had a 2LT rental and the leather seats blew me away. Super comfortable and supportive. The interior was just very nice in general. Engine had peppy midrange, too.

I was going to keep my BMW and buy her a Cruze. But she wasn't thrilled with it, and we got a virtually-new 4Runner traded into us that I just couldn't pass up. It was a ridiculous deal, and she loved it. We couldn't have kept it and the BMW both, however, so the 335i went bye-bye. I hate it, but it is what it is. I'll get something less practical and more fun soon. Stay tuned....

Not bad looking, it doesn't have as much personality as I would like, but I know that I can't really expect too much of that in this segment.  I'd feel confident in showing and recommending this to a customer, and that's important.  I don't get that same feeling from things like a Versa or a Yaris, or a couple other options we carry.

I think I need to see more of this car to make a full impression, but based on these grainy photos, I think it looks ugly and is badly proportioned, like the new Focus sedan with Fusion styling grafted onto it. Too much styling. The Malibu looks triple AAA grade good, except its busy front end, but this is just busy all over.

Even though the current Cruze is dated, it's an exceptionally clean design, like the 2008-12 Malibu, 2010-12 Fusion and 2003-2007 Honda Accord. I like those cars A lot.

Everything else seems top notch. A decent displacement turbo, unlike Ford's 1.0L for the segment, dual-clutch (hopely not maligned like the PowerShift or FCA's dual-clutch), perhaps a carryover diesel. Voltec seems right, but also seems redundant. Look to Toyota to see that there's no need for a Corolla Hybrid with the car already getting 40 mpg easily. It's not so easy to just plug and play power-train bits, especially when they make no sense to the target buyer. If I want Voltec, I'll get the Volt, and then if people carrying is more important than the best EREV range, a Malibu. Atleast the much hated 1.8 is finally being sent to the scrap heap. A good amount of weight loss, and a nicer interior to boot. It's more well rounded on the interior and power train front, but the exterior might irk some who trade in their old Cruze for a new one.