Industry News: A New Study Show Which Vehicles Are Returned In The First Year

While Americans are keeping their cars longer (Experian Automotive says the average ownership length is now 7.75 years), there are some models that owners can't wait to get rid off within a year of buying.

iSeeCars.com recently compared new car sales against used-car purchases in 2014 to figure out which vehicles were traded-in the fastest. Their analysis showed that on average, around 2.7 percent of all new vehicles are traded in after only a year’s ownership. More surprising was the vehicles that had the highest amount of trade-ins. The expectation would be that the vehicles with the highest amount of trade-ins would be cheap. Not so fast. iSeeCars.com in their analysis the vehicles with highest trade-ins range from $18,000 to $45,000.

“iSeeCars.com analysts think the fact that consumers are giving more of these cars up than the average is directly linked to quality or perceived quality of the cars,” says Phong Ly, CEO of iSeeCars.com. “Because purchasing a new car is expensive and something most people tend to spend a lot of time on, it stands to reason they would make a change shortly afterward if they felt the quality was lacking.”

Here's the list of the vehicles with the highest trade-in amounts,

1. Buick Regal - 10.7 Percent Traded-In
  2. Chevrolet Sonic - 8.9 Percent Traded-In
  3. BMW X1 - 7.8 Percent Traded-In
  4. Dodge Charger - 7.7 Percent Traded-In
  5. Mercedes-Benz C-Class - 7.4 Percent Traded-In
  6. Chevrolet Cruze - 7.2 Percent Traded-In
  7. Nissan Frontier - 6.9 Percent Traded-In

Source: Forbes

View full article

Does this count fleet cars?  Some of those cars are high on rental car lots, so there could be a buy and sell after one year.

The C-class surprises me, unless people are trading the old one on the new model year, normally I'd think people would keep one of those.  The X1 is tiny, so I could see the yuppies trading to an X3 after a year and realizing they bought a small wagon more than a crossover.

Charger, Sonic and Cruze not surprised, I am surprised the Chrysler 200 or Dodge Journey isn't on there.  If they even make the Journey still.

• Agree 1

C-Class is a curiosity, but I wouldn't be surprised that buyers are jumping ship to the A4, or even Mercedes' CLA. The CLA still gets the badge, and more stuff inside for a lower price. 

The old C-Class was way behind the times compared to the competition. The new C-Class you'd have to pry from my cold-dead hands.

• Agree 1

Those new C-classes are sweet.  I was hoping to get one as a loaner on my last service visit, but I got a GLK instead.

The Journey must have a lot of sales to Avis and National.  People can't seriously buy that thing.

I'll be blunt... the Regal, although a really nice car, doesn't do anything exceptional.  It doesn't offer anything special.  And if you're tall, like me, it's impossible to get in/out of.

Those new C-classes are sweet.  I was hoping to get one as a loaner on my last service visit, but I got a GLK instead.

The Journey must have a lot of sales to Avis and National.  People can't seriously buy that thing.

Why not?  It is one of the few small to mid-size crossovers that still has a V6. The V6 gets pretty good fuel economy (better than the EPA rating).  They updated the interior about 2 years ago.  It has a 3rd row for children at a price point that only gets you a 2-row at Toyota, Honda, GM, and Ford.

Not hard to see why it still sell... you just need to look. 

Guest kara

According to the study methodology, fleet cars were excluded from the analysis. THopefully this will be updated soon on Forbes' website.

Does this count fleet cars?  Some of those cars are high on rental car lots, so there could be a buy and sell after one year.

The C-class surprises me, unless people are trading the old one on the new model year, normally I'd think people would keep one of those.  The X1 is tiny, so I could see the yuppies trading to an X3 after a year and realizing they bought a small wagon more than a crossover.

Charger, Sonic and Cruze not surprised, I am surprised the Chrysler 200 or Dodge Journey isn't on there.  If they even make the Journey still.

I'm really surprised about the Regal.  I wonder what it gets traded on.

In that eassist on buicks thread i started in Buick forum, this was what i posted

There is a glut of used 14's on the market for cheap. Was it possible there were some fleet only regals without turbo OR eAssist?

For the pricing I could live with less go juice for 30mpg everyday. That would be a luxurious 'econocar' alternative at that price. Cobalt only gets 27-28 in winter anyways.

I am not convinced all these regals are being 'traded in'.  I did recongnize there were a buttload of 2014 regals for good deals, but i bet they were fleet vehicles or otherwise dealer vehicles that were titled and then turned used.  I can't help but think there is a sub story behind this.  The Regal is a good vehicle and the only thing i can think is some old farts bought Regals thinking they were floaters and then found out they were not and maybe wanted the bigger backseat of the lacrosse too.

GM prob built a whole batch of 14 regals non turbo for fleets only and those are the used regals we see being 'traded in'.  a few turbos in the mix too.

Regal needs a V6.  It is not a premium vehicle without one.

But a possible $70,000 Cadillac CT6 is going to have a 4-cyldiner, so by that level of engine placement the Regal should have a base turbo 3-cylinder and the top end Lacrosse a turbo four.

Personally, I think Cadillac should use the 330 hp V6 as their base CTS and CT6 engine, turbo 4 in ATS only.  I am all for the "there is no replacement for displacement" argument, since the Maxima, Camry, Passat, Accord all come with a V6, I'd have no problem with a Regal V6.  If the Malibu is 4-cylinder only, giving the Regal a V6 is a good way to separate the two.

Regal needs a V6.  It is not a premium vehicle without one.

But a possible $70,000 Cadillac CT6 is going to have a 4-cyldiner, so by that level of engine placement the Regal should have a base turbo 3-cylinder and the top end Lacrosse a turbo four.

Personally, I think Cadillac should use the 330 hp V6 as their base CTS and CT6 engine, turbo 4 in ATS only.  I am all for the "there is no replacement for displacement" argument, since the Maxima, Camry, Passat, Accord all come with a V6, I'd have no problem with a Regal V6.  If the Malibu is 4-cylinder only, giving the Regal a V6 is a good way to separate the two.

Is this really going to be the dead horse you beat for the next 5 years?

The CT6 (bigger than a 740i remember) actually has a curb weight a few pounds under the Buick Regal and an all new 8-speed auto to make the most of the 2.0T's torque.  It is not the same transmission that the CTS has currently, so you can't base the performance off that. 

Kinda makes you wonder what model Regal was traded in....base models I could see, but I like the GS....

Sonic- You really don't get the fun models until you get the higher trims...at that point you are in Cruze range already....with very few leases on them...

Cruze- No one seems to like the 1.4 in that car....doesn't help that the engine has issues also.....also one of the oldest looking compacts out there.....

X1-Why? The realized they wasted money on this little thing....

Charger- Bet most were traded for the new model....

C class- other automakers stepping up their game....

Nissian- Can only think they might have been traded in on the new GM twins......

As has been noted by several people already, I sure wish they would've included an idea at least of what these vehicles people are obtaining in place of them.  That might help explain some things ... & maybe give more insight.  But, what do I know!?

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"And the simple truth so very much clearer" __ Everything __ 'Hooch'

Guest Brandon

My wife and I bought a Regal GS six speed manual in 2013, the car was awesome. However it had to have timing chains replaced at 6,000 miles, we traded for a crew cab 6.2l sierra

As has been noted by several people already, I sure wish they would've included an idea at least of what these vehicles people are obtaining in place of them.  That might help explain some things ... & maybe give more insight.  But, what do I know!?

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"And the simple truth so very much clearer" __ Everything __ 'Hooch'

oy

Nothing wrong with a little more info.....

Another harebrained theory:  Buick buyers WANT a soft riding, quietly luxurious car to drive after dealing with patients all day.  Regal jars them with its Euro sport sedan demeanor, it is incongruous with what people expect, and want, from a Buick. LaCrosse, Enclave and Verano seem to fit in better with that image.

I see no reason Buick can't offer both types of cars. If you want something sporty, get the Regal (and it's not bone jaring at all, unless you're in a GS using the GS setting, then what do you expect?). If you want soft luxury, get the Lacrosse or Enclave

agree with Drew here.  Buick can do both, within reason.  That 2011 Regal manual I test drove a few weeks ago was just about perfect for me.  Fairly quite and nice riding, but not a floater.  Still very luxurious.  Regal is the best car for it.  One that car is redone, lightened etc., it will improve in the market i think.  Its not marketed now, and its tight in the rear seat, but the car is a nice size for between small and barge.

Adjustable suspensions is one way a lux car maker can do both, cush and sport.  I wonder if Cadillacs new rep as drivers cars is taking away from their old cush rep, and affecting their sales.