Chevrolet News:Meet the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro

Welcome to our two newest members!  If you do have software issues, I'm rarely far away from an internet connection (and if I am, I get the shakes).  I'm constantly tinkering with the site to get better performance and layout from it, but in general, it just runs.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me. 

I'll try not to screw it up.

I am curious.  Now that the Camaro6 and Corvette7 are finally here, does that mean that the LS7 will be retired?  That engine has had a 10 year run.  Will it continue in the Z28 form so that the LT4 goes into the ZL1 and become a Hellcat fighter?

I am curious.  Now that the Camaro6 and Corvette7 are finally here, does that mean that the LS7 will be retired?  That engine has had a 10 year run.  Will it continue in the Z28 form so that the LT4 goes into the ZL1 and become a Hellcat fighter?

Interesting question.  Seems like such a good engine to let go.

homer-simpson-crazy.gif

OK.. now I have to find out how U guys did this, because even I have never posted a video.. LOL

It is simply a GIF.

That is a video. I got skillz. What are the chances GM trickles this new 3.6 liter V6 into all the other applications? After all - more power. Sounds great.

Im also excited with the turbo 4...

Almost giddy about it.

Knowing that it will be light on its feet...Im mostly curious to see how it fairs with BMWs...the base  turbo 4 Camaro against a base 4 Series Bimmer...

Chevy/GM is really taking it to the Germans and BMW...with the Camaro and Cadillac...

The Camaro isn't really in competition with the 4-series, someone before posted about the Camaro being an M4 killer.  I am not a BMW fan boy, but I wouldn't under estimate the M3/M4.  But again they aren't really in competition, one is a luxury car, one is not.

On the LS7 issue, I bet they just drop it.  Would make more sense to offer a supercharged LT1 in a top end Camaro because the engine is already used in the Corvette and CTS-V.  They could turn down the boost to make it a little less powerful than the Corvette if they are worried about overlap.

I think the LS7 is gonna be retired or, at some point maybe morphed into a larger V10.. or V12. Who knows??? The biggest issue for the LS7 really boils down to CAFE and Globalization. The Z28 in Europe or China??? Your costs would skyrocket because of the size of the engine. I'm betting good money that the Z28 in Europe would cost more than a Z06 in Europe due to taxation.

Of course now we are seeing a great deal of forced induction.. Supercharging now.. but turbo charging is becoming a major player as well. Look at the Cadillac line. I foresee the LT4 in the CTS-V as a temporary thing, and the Turbo V8 we've been hearing about going into it after the CT6 gets it.. and possibly their recipe for a CTS-V AWD.

The turbo v8 is going to be smaller displacement than current CTS-V V8, so I don't think that it will get that engine. 

Exactly. Smaller displacement would be more welcome in other markets. There could be substitutions. The ATS-V, for instance, could have had a V8.. excuse the pun. Cadillac wants their own engine family.. thus it got the TTV6.  As a future CTS-V Gen3 owner, I'm actually wondering if they are gonna come in year two with a TTV8

Almost giddy about it.

Knowing that it will be light on its feet...Im mostly curious to see how it fairs with BMWs...the base  turbo 4 Camaro against a base 4 Series Bimmer...

Chevy/GM is really taking it to the Germans and BMW...with the Camaro and Cadillac...

The Camaro isn't really in competition with the 4-series, someone before posted about the Camaro being an M4 killer.  I am not a BMW fan boy, but I wouldn't under estimate the M3/M4.  But again they aren't really in competition, one is a luxury car, one is not.

Yeah I am constantly perplexed why people cross-compare these cars when they are not cross-shopped. I love GM. I love Chevy and Cadillac, but I have no desire or delusions that a Camaro would be cross shopped with a BMW, Cadillac, Benz, or Lexus. I do, however, believe that the Camaro will perform as well as many of the similar HP/Handling cars from those makers. Why?? Its a Pony car for the 21st century. It has technology that blurs the lines between it and the perceived luxury car.. but so does my Impala.. so doe the Cruze, or Sonic. 

ATS-V might get a V8 once Cadillac gets their own V8.  Now that there is an upgraded 3.6 V6, I guess they could turbo that, but I see Cadillac going with the 3.0 TT V6 in the future, and phasing out that current 3.6 twin turbo engine when this new V8 arrives.  Seems a bit redundant to offer a 3.0 and a 3.6 on the same model and if displacement tax is a concern, the 3.0 will win out.  Then you set up an all turbo lineup for Cadillac with 4-6-8 cylinder options.

I think the LS7 is dead.

Cadillac is going back to having exclusive Cadillac engines that will be separate from the rest of GM.  If the LT4 lives on in other cars, then it would only make sense to be in a Camaro (and SS sedan perhaps?).   Regardless of whether or not engines like the LS7 continue in production, the real question is when the government standards get rid of all these engines altogether.  For all we know, the base model 2.0T will be the only power plant available by the end of the decade.

Almost giddy about it.

Yeah I am constantly perplexed why people cross-compare these cars when they are not cross-shopped. I love GM. I love Chevy and Cadillac, but I have no desire or delusions that a Camaro would be cross shopped with a BMW, Cadillac, Benz, or Lexus. I do, however, believe that the Camaro will perform as well as many of the similar HP/Handling cars from those makers. Why?? Its a Pony car for the 21st century. It has technology that blurs the lines between it and the perceived luxury car.. but so does my Impala.. so doe the Cruze, or Sonic. 

I am not talking about the Camaro being cross shopped against the BMW...4 Series or otherwise....

I am talking about pure performance criteria.

I am talking about driving feel.

I am talking about driving dynamics.

I am talking about handling...you know...Bimmers are known to have this magical formula that puts the driver in a daze of driving extasy...

Well...because the Cadillac ATS has shown to out-BMW iat BMW's own game, logically, the Camaro shouts as well. And, because  the Alpha plaform Camaro is closer to what a BMW 2 door 3 Series coupe was all about in the 1980s....I find this comparo more pleasing then the ATS comparo versus a BMW 4 Series. Again...Camaro Turbo 4 versus base 4 Series BMW...

Edited by oldshurst442

The turbo v8 is going to be smaller displacement than current CTS-V V8, so I don't think that it will get that engine. 

Exactly. Smaller displacement would be more welcome in other markets. There could be substitutions. The ATS-V, for instance, could have had a V8.. excuse the pun. Cadillac wants their own engine family.. thus it got the TTV6.  As a future CTS-V Gen3 owner, I'm actually wondering if they are gonna come in year two with a TTV8

Actually, I've been told there was another reason for going with the TTV6 and it is entirely technical.  Once I post my ATS-V story you'll see why.

+3.6TT

I don't think they're going to drop that one so soon after intro... and they have two distinct versions of it... the V-Sport version and the V-Series version.  The internals are different enough that the V-Series version gets its own engine code.

So then Cadillac engine line up could be a 2.0T 4 banger, 3.0T v6 and a 4.0T v8. That would be interesting for sure.

No doubt.. I was thinking this the other day in the Cadillac JDN thread:

2.0L TT could go from 220HP to 320HP

3.0L TT could go from 340HP detuned to 400HP

3.6L TT could go from 410 to 465HP

then bring in the TT V8 4.5L as a 500 to 600 HP engine.

So Casa, did you figure out how to post vids yet?

Just in case you missed both of my messages.

You just copy and paste the Youtube URL and drop it in the quote box...its embeds it automatically.

Easy as pie.

Nice shots of the Camaro.

I cant believe how I went to hating the gen 5 with, a PASSION I might add :explode::fiery:  to actually loving this 6 gen.

I wanted to just kill it with fire :killitwithfire: , this 5th gen....now Im back as a Chevy guy again with the 6th gen....its weird how that worked out.

Edited by oldshurst442

• 4 weeks later...

I see GM Media posted this with more details on the 2016 Camaro's Powertrain lineup.

post-12-0-35812600-1434559893_thumb.jpg

2016 Camaro Powertrain lineup!

Quoting from the posted news release:

Ecotec 2.0L turbo details
The Camaro LT’s standard engine is a new Ecotec 2.0L turbocharged I-4, rated at an SAE-certified 275 horsepower (205 kW) and 295 lb-ft of torque (400 Nm). For impressive power on demand, it offers a wide torque band with 90 percent of its peak torque available from 2,100 rpm to 3,000 rpm, and maximum torque from 3,000 to 4,500 rpm.

All-new 3.6L V-6
The new 3.6L V-6 ,available in the Camaro LT, offers the highest specific output for a naturally aspirated V-6, producing an SAE-certified 335 horsepower (250 kW) and 284 lb-ft of torque (385 Nm). It’s an all-new design that represents the fourth generation of GM’s DOHC V-6 engine family and incorporates new features, including Active Fuel Management.

Return of the LT1
The 2016 Camaro SS is powered by the Small Block 6.2L LT1 V-8 engine, with output SAE-certified at 455 horsepower (339 kW) and 455 lb-ft of torque (617 Nm), making it the most powerful Camaro SS ever.

Its use in the sixth generation marks the third time the LT1 moniker has been bestowed on a Camaro Small Block V-8 engine, with previous iterations used in the 1970-72 Z28, 1993-97 Z28 and 1996-97 SS. 

New Hydra-Matic eight-speed automatic transmissions
All 2016 Camaro models are offered with new, Hydra-Matic 8L45 and 8L90 paddle-shift eight-speed automatic transmissions. The 8L45 is available with the Ecotec 2.0L turbo and 3.6L V-6 engines on LT models, and the 8L90 is available with the LT1 V-8 on the Camaro SS.

The very cool part is the extensive engine features they list out for each motor. Check it out. This is a cool line up!

So now that I have gone over the details, I really do have to question why would you want the under torqued V6? The Turbo 4 to me is a superior engine and if I wanted max performance, then the V8 is a no brainer. :metal:

Actually, I've been told there was another reason for going with the TTV6 and it is entirely technical.  Once I post my ATS-V story you'll see why.

Did I miss this or have you not had time to post the story yet? Very excited to read what you have to say about the ATS-V with the TTV6 engine. :D