I Don't Know What I Want.

So, I don't plan on having the Toyota for too much longer. If it doesn't sell (seems like this will be the case), I'm just going to trade it in. My dilemma pertains to the recurring fact that I am beyond indecisive. I look at vehicle after vehicle, day after day, and I can never whittle down what exactly I want. My tastes are always changing based on the flavor of the day (usually something impractical).

What I do know is this: I need a car. It should be cheaper to own (incl. gas, ins, etc.). It mustn't be a snore. I can't do another car like the Avalon; it kills me everyday. It must be a stick or at least a dual-clutch that isn't made by Ford/Fiat. It should have a few goodies (no strippers). It doesn't matter whether it's American, European, Asian, etc.; I have no qualms, no reservations, no bias. It also doesn't matter what fuel it sips, as long as it just sips it, not chugs it. I also need some form of reliability that can be backed by a reputable source. It needs to be a good car, not a crappy one. Oh, and I guess a price point would probably be helpful... $18k or less. Preferably 2010 or newer. 

So, have at it. Throw me some suggestions, I'm an open book at this point (though my flavor of day is VW TDI's).

Edited by blackviper8891

Hasn't the Avalon been reliable? I would think a Toyota would be as reliable as anything..I'd focus, keep the Avalon till it's got 200k or more and save money towards something else...I'd rather drive a boring reliable car and focus on the big picture and not waste time and money chasing every fleeting whim..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Hasn't the Avalon been reliable? I would think a Toyota would be as reliable as anything..I'd focus, keep the Avalon till it's got 200k or more and save money towards something else...I'd rather drive a boring reliable car and focus on the big picture and not waste time and money chasing every fleeting whim..

Beyond reliability, I'm throwing more money away by keeping it.

I've been ecstatic that gas prices plummeted 6 months or so ago, as this car has never really lived up to its rated gas mileage. It's still great considering the power and size of the car, but I'd like to do better than averaging 22ish mpg in mixed driving. On top of that regular maintenance is more expensive than I'd like (pricey parts, 7qt oil changes, etc.). Same with the insurance rates. Lastly, I'm looking to lower my monthly payment, finance wise. I could refinance, but I don't see the benefit in doing so on a 10 year old car with 120k.

My main goal is to lower my bills so I can focus on the big picture and move on with my life. This car is holding me back, financially, more than anything. If I didn't make it abundantly clear, I apologize, but I'm looking for a car that won't hold me back. As I said, good on gas, cheap to own, reliable, and cheap. I simply also ask for something that's not a bore nor completely basic and lacking in features (plus I want to row my own gears). Seems like I would be saving money going that route, no?

Regardless, I suppose it's a valid point. Kudos. If you have any further suggestions more in line with the direct question at hand, I'd love to hear them.

It's still great considering the power and size of the car, but I'd like to do better than averaging 22ish mpg in mixed driving. On top of that regular maintenance is more expensive than I'd like (pricey parts, 7qt oil changes, etc.). Same with the insurance rates. Lastly, I'm looking to lower my monthly payment, finance wise.

Good grief ... 22mpg mixed driving?  My 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham does better than that ... & has much lower maintenance & insurance costs!

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Don't get me wrong" __ Billy Joel __ 'My Life'

Seeming how you're coming from a Avalon is size a requirement as well?

I size isn't high on your lift what about either a GTI with the DCT(reated at 34 hwy) or a Focus ST? The ST is rated 32mpg highway. I think both of those could squeeze into your price bracket. I've only heard great things about both of them. A buddy of mine has a '12 GTI and loves it. I've driven it once and it's a really nice and sporty car. Not fast, but enough to play around with.  

Honda Civic. Cheap, reliable, good gas mileage, manual available, popular w youths

+1

Civic Coupe with a manual or if you're fuel consumption conscious, a Civic Hybrid (the first ones could be had with a 5-speed).

I like the VW TDIs as well, but your luck with VWs has not been the best in the past. 

Scion TC?

Thanks, y'all! I'm beyond ecstatic about it. I love it.

More details and specifics can be found in my garage post, for those interested. Includes link to pictures, as well. 

Can never go wrong with a GTI. PDK or stick? 

DSG. Would have prefered a manual, but the DSG is pretty good.

Nice, did you buy the extended warranty?

No, I'll make due with VW's CPO warranty. I'll probably regret it eventually. :P

• Agree 1

Wow ... congrats!  Great pic of you with it in your profile.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us" __ Mat Kearney __ 'Nothing Left To Lose'

My suggestion is, take someone who knows a lot about cars with you to the dealership or even look at some from your computer. Getting to learn more about the different models will help you to decide what exactly will satisfy you.

My suggestion is, take someone who knows a lot about cars with you to the dealership or even look at some from your computer. Getting to learn more about the different models will help you to decide what exactly will satisfy you.

Good advice, but I think it's a little late to the party.  Definitely when buying used I have always taken someone more mechanically inclined with me, buying my last one new I was less concerned with getting help.  Only advice I got there was my uncle saying beware of Dodge for the high cost of parts/repairs.  I was never really sure if that statement was accurate, or came down to some bias (though he did work for NAPA as a manager and also is a pretty decent mechanic).

I'm sure BlackViper doesn't need anyone to accompany him to the lot who knows a lot about cars. 

Possibly not, but for many car buyers out there, it's still good advice.  I know a lot more about new cars than I ever used to, but I'm still not ever going to be a mechanic, for example, so were I looking towards used I'd like to have someone more knowledgeable than myself along for the ride.  I've only ever learned to identify one sound on a car, and that's when a tie rod is starting to go, I've learned that lesson.  I love to drive, but I've never been mechanically inclined, my skill set just doesn't flow in that direction, and I'm surely not the only one.