BMW Unviels 3.0 CSL Hommage

dce84e5fd6d1b4ae968ca0225afde81e_big.jpg

image.jpg?OriginalImageUrl=%2Fuk%2Fasset

Interesting design elements.

I think I like it.

That figures.

Im always AGAINST the grain when it comes to BMWs.

The models that EVERYBODY loves...I hate...and the ones that EVERYBODY feels iffy about..I like.

Im not feeling the colour either, but it works. The only thing that Im iffy about is the way the aero front wraps around and lays itself on the hood. I dont like that...the front part is nice...the hood part not so much.

Would I be a future BMW CSL Hommage buyer?

NOT A CHANCE though. I think Ill stick to the American Pony Cars.

Future Camaro ZL-1 or Z/28

Mustang GT350...definitely the Mustang GT350 over the CSL Hommage.

I am excited about its performance cred though...

Edited by oldshurst442

Talk about a hard car to keep clean, I assume the small gaps on the fender wraps are designed to trap air and create downward force, but over all like Buzz says, looks like a Hot Wheels car.

Producing a styling homage to a car that was an homologation special is setting yourself up for failure. If the original emphasized function over form then why would you attempt to replicate the form?

For the good 'ol American life...

For the money, for the glory and for the fun.

Mostly for the money...

Oh...I mentioned that I like this Bimmer...I actually do.

I like it  a lot.

But I would rather

1. a  2016  Camaro

2. a  2016 Mustang GT350..and at only $47 000 American Dollars..its a NO BRAINER to choose the Mustang over this Bimmer!!!

and I would rather this hommage car over the Bimmer...(youtube link below)

Just my :2cents: with a little bit of entertainment for ya'll.

Edited by oldshurst442

That thing is ugly.  They need to bring back the M1 or the 850csi and pay homage to 2 of their best products, that for some reason they cancelled so they could make SUVs.

If they took this exact body and only change the head lights and tail lights to LED, this would be their best looking car for 2016.  Look at those wheels, no B-pillar, the small grille.

bmw-850-08.jpg

Edited by smk4565

The M1 was a failure. Both in sales and in engineering. To boot,  It was uglier than this homage car.

The 850 was also a failure. Not in the looks department...with me...because looks are subjective...but in terms of sales and image....it failed to elevate BMW into the luxury car status.. both cars failed actually.

The 850 did not know what it wanted to be. BMW engineers did not know whether the 850 was a personal coupe or a GT grand tourer sports car like a Porsche 928...They wanted to compete with a Big Benz SL coupe but also wanted it to be a sports car like a Porsche 928....pure fail...

The 850 reminds me of the modern 6 series BMW....big and clumsy. Now...its a 4 door coupe...go figure...

and this is why I stick mostly to GM threads.. WTF was that.. and WHY the EFF did Olds post a video and try and blind me??? That looks tacky as all get out.

Retro?? Yeah, but retro in a way that certain makers have past cars that looked like $h! in the 80s.. and look even $h!tier now. Come on GM.. bring back the minivan via a retro look at the Aztek... or Ford.. can we get a hatchback based on the magnificent Pinto.. Chrysler??? U kno I want a channeled AMC Pacer in a sport coupe. Nissan??? I'm dying for a rework of the B210

Point is..retro for a lot of makers means picking thru a bunch of ugly trash in the first place that was ugly then.. uglier and tackier now. They simply do not have your 1970 Challengers, 1968 Camaros, or 1967 Mustangs like we do. Would U really balk if Cadillac brought a modern interpretation of the 1967 Eldorado???

Cadillac-Eldorado-Opening-Carscoop%2523.

yes.. because I love the Ciel more than the El Miraj   :wub: 

The M1 was a failure. Both in sales and in engineering. To boot,  It was uglier than this homage car.

The 850 was also a failure. Not in the looks department...with me...because looks are subjective...but in terms of sales and image....it failed to elevate BMW into the luxury car status.. both cars failed actually.

The 850 did not know what it wanted to be. BMW engineers did not know whether the 850 was a personal coupe or a GT grand tourer sports car like a Porsche 928...They wanted to compete with a Big Benz SL coupe but also wanted it to be a sports car like a Porsche 928....pure fail...

The 850 reminds me of the modern 6 series BMW....big and clumsy. Now...its a 4 door coupe...go figure...

While it wasn't a blistering success, the 8 Series was not a failure. It was exactly what it was supposed to be- a GT Coupe with more emphasis on luxury than sport. It was no more a failure than the 928.

And the M1 a failure?? Lol, please. I know you don't like BMW, but come on, get real.

While it wasn't a blistering success, the 8 Series was not a failure. It was exactly what it was supposed to be- a GT Coupe with more emphasis on luxury than sport. It was no more a failure than the 928.

And the M1 a failure?? Lol, please. I know you don't like BMW, but come on, get real.

Yeah...the 850 WAS a failure...in the sales department...and the image that BMW wanted to pass on...it wasnt a ultimate driving machine...nor was it a luxury car in the minds of the consumer...Mercedes held on to that title...The 500 SL...was engineered like no other...and it stayed that way in the minds of the consumer...while BMW was trying to make something that would stick...in the minds of the consumer...hence the Bond cars...with the Z3, Z8 and the 750...

The M1...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-m1-trilogy-the-history-of-the-m1-feature

from the link:

"The M1 finally took to the racetrack in 1979, but failure dogged it from the first. The Procar series brought mixed reviews, providing a show of brilliance but also evidence of early engine problems. The Group 4 entries at the Watkins Glen and Le Mans endurance races failed. Furthermore no turbo was ready for the M1’s M88 engine, because all work had been focused on McLaren’s turbocharged four-cylinder for the 320i. So even when Neerpasch commissioned a special Group 5 M1 from March later in 1979, the wildly illegal car that resulted was underpowered. A similar version raced by Jim Busby in America ultimately suffered the indignity of being fitted with a Chevrolet small-block V-8."

The bold part is the real funny part...

Im sorry guys...but BMW is NOT the car company you guys imagine it is...BMW's marketing division is responsible for BMW's  "greatness" ...

I would like to see how they get into the engine on this car. It looks like even the side front panels must go up with the hood to allow access to the engine. Still ugly but interesting at the same time.

Yeah...the 850 WAS a failure...in the sales department...and the image that BMW wanted to pass on...it wasnt a ultimate driving machine...nor was it a luxury car in the minds of the consumer...Mercedes held on to that title...The 500 SL...was engineered like no other...and it stayed that way in the minds of the consumer...while BMW was trying to make something that would stick...in the minds of the consumer...hence the Bond cars...with the Z3, Z8 and the 750...

The M1...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-m1-trilogy-the-history-of-the-m1-feature

from the link:

"The M1 finally took to the racetrack in 1979, but failure dogged it from the first. The Procar series brought mixed reviews, providing a show of brilliance but also evidence of early engine problems. The Group 4 entries at the Watkins Glen and Le Mans endurance races failed. Furthermore no turbo was ready for the M1’s M88 engine, because all work had been focused on McLaren’s turbocharged four-cylinder for the 320i. So even when Neerpasch commissioned a special Group 5 M1 from March later in 1979, the wildly illegal car that resulted was underpowered. A similar version raced by Jim Busby in America ultimately suffered the indignity of being fitted with a Chevrolet small-block V-8."

Im sorry guys...but BMW is NOT the car company you guys imagine it is...BMW's marketing division is responsible for BMW's  "greatness" ...

Again, the 8 Series was not a failure. It was produced for 10 years, with over 30,000 built. It met it's demise like so many other cars of that era, 928 included. Also, your comparison to the SL is rather moot, as it was not intended to be a direct competitor. Hell, you're comparing a car that is exclusively a roadster to one that is exclusively hard top. A more apt comparison is the Mercedes SEC- S Class Coupe- which only sold 2/3 the numbers the 8 Series did over it's production run.

As for the M1, maybe you should read the second and third parts to the very article you referenced. The road car was sublime. It outperformed virtually every other sports car of it's era, and changed the automotive landscape forever by getting the M Division up and going. The only thing you have to stand on is the car's lack of success in Group 4 guise. The car would later find success in IMSA, however, winning several races leading to winning the 1981 GTO category. This before it was used in various other smaller series throughout the 80's to decent success.

BMW has the second most motorsports wins behind Porsche. And the M1 was a game changer that doesn't get the recognition it deserves. BMW is wholly the car company I imagine them to be. Not perfect, but FAR better than you and many others give them credit for.

Edited by Frisky Dingo

The M1...

from the link:

Again, the 8 Series was not a failure. It was produced for 10 years, with over 30,000 built. It met it's demise like so many other cars of that era, 928 included. Also, your comparison to the SL is rather moot, as it was not intended to be a direct competitor. Hell, you're comparing a car that is exclusively a roadster to one that is exclusively hard top. A more apt comparison is the Mercedes SEC- S Class Coupe- which only sold 2/3 the numbers the 8 Series did over it's production run.

As for the M1, maybe you should read the second and third parts to the very article you referenced. The road car was sublime. It outperformed virtually every other sports car of it's era, and changed the automotive landscape forever by getting the M Division up and going. The only thing you have to stand on is the car's lack of success in Group 4 guise. The car would later find success in IMSA, however, winning several races leading to winning the 1981 GTO category. This before it was used in various other smaller series throughout the 80's to decent success.

BMW has the second most motorsports wins behind Porsche. And the M1 was a game changer that doesn't get the recognition it deserves. BMW is wholly the car company I imagine them to be. Not perfect, but FAR better than you and many others give them credit for.

The article does not say that at all, Frisky...

"The project’s failure had become complete by 1980. The budget of BMW Motorsports had been slashed nearly 75 percent. The Procar contract was sold to England’s BS Fabrications. Under attack internally for diverting engineering effort from street cars, and yet anxious to develop the turbo four-cylinder for Formula 1, Neerpasch left BMW Motorsports. Everyone understood that the M1 had failed as a race car because its development proved too costly and could not keep pace with changes in racing regulations—two important failures in silhouette racing, as any IMSA or NASCAR competitor will attest.

The production of the M1 halted in December 1980 at 430 cars—35 to 40 of which were race cars. Since family sedans had saved BMW from bankruptcy in the early Sixties—not exotics like the 507 sports car—BMW saw little reason to perpetuate the M1 in the face of what it saw as a declining market for exotics."

The rest of the article is just wax poetic by Csaba...spinning...in a dream world...and the irony with all of that...

from the article that Csaba himself wrote...is that...Ferarri with the F-40, BB512, Testarossa, and Lamborghini with the Countach 5000 (you know...the exotic car that was on young lad's wall in poster form...you know...a Countach was actually a 1970s car...) and El Diablo and Porsche with the 959..., they did not seem to lack any exotic car sales...oh...let us not forget that Acura...less than a decade...got the NSX done up all right and good...

The 8 Series WAS a failure...The....like I said...marketing geniuses wanted to strike up interest with the folk to try to lift BMW into the world of luxury because 8 Series was a failure...hence product placement Bond cars...yo know...James Bond...English Diplomacy and Intrigue...driving around in Aston Mart...errrr...BMWs...

The 850 was always to be a grand tourer, it was the coupe version of the 7-series.  BMW has no product like that now.  Actually the S-class coupe is the only product on the market like that now other than a DB9 or Maserati Gran Turismo, which are smaller sports cars. 

The 6-series is ugly, the 6-series gran coupe is nearly the size of a 7-series, that makes no sense.   But perhaps Mercedes is just cornering the grand tourer market with the SL and S-class coupe.  The Jag XK is gone, Lexus SC is gone, XLR gone, 8-series gone.  One by one they all tumbled.

The 850 was always to be a grand tourer, it was the coupe version of the 7-series.  BMW has no product like that now.  Actually the S-class coupe is the only product on the market like that now other than a DB9 or Maserati Gran Turismo, which are smaller sports cars. 

The 6-series is ugly, the 6-series gran coupe is nearly the size of a 7-series, that makes no sense.   But perhaps Mercedes is just cornering the grand tourer market with the SL and S-class coupe.  The Jag XK is gone, Lexus SC is gone, XLR gone, 8-series gone.  One by one they all tumbled.

I see you are trying to justify...XK is gone but replaced...Lexus...it was ugly...Porsche 928...well yeah...hat flopped...only because Porsche was still considered the 911 maker...and the 928 was supposed to replace it...however...the Cayman is a nice compromise between a  924/944/964 and a 928...

XLR?

Its a small Corvette sized sports car...because IT IS indeed a Corvette...it went away...because GM dropped the ball on it...like BMW did with the 8 Series...not because "one by one they all tumbled". 

What is laughable though...is that you admitted the failure of the 8 Series and you dont even know it...

And THAT was the problem with the 8 Series...what was it?

M-B SL sized?

Same as that XLR...

Or was it a Grand Tourer? Both?

Well, that is why it failed...it was neither...

Was it a sales success?

Frisky brought up a valid point on that...I somehow thought it was a sales dud...oh well..I dont really care for that argument as I ALWAYS loved an 8 Series...

Even a fan like yourself seems to be confused...because you mentioned an XLR in a comparison of an 8 Series...

Edited by oldshurst442

I know the 8-series wasn't a roadster or sports car, it was a big executive coupe.  And as much as like to see Mercedes clear out and monopolize the luxury 2 door segment from $60-120,000, it would still be nice if BMW had an 8-series or even a Z8 style car.  Something with some cool factor, rather than their sedans that all look the same and their SUVs that all look the same.  And I know BMW has the i8, so I do give them credit for building what looks like a concept car and actually putting it on sale. 

The pic of this BMW earlier here at eye level shows obvious inspiration, with the giant grilles, from the Pontiac G6 GXP. Nice! ;)

I agree, it would seem BMW is pulling design from Pontiac!

post-12-0-00437900-1433512672_thumb.jpg