2016 Mazda Mazda6 sport 2.5 AT

DRIVEN:
2016 Mazda Mazda6 Sport 2.5 AT

HIGHS:

For many, quite a rakish look in the blah midsize sedans segment.  Looks sinister in certain colors with gunmetal wheels.

Knockout cabin, in particular when fitted with white seats and dash accents.  Like the Mazda3, its very reminiscent of German designs like BMW and its done fantastic.  Great materials.
Ergonomics and controls all down pat.  Control wheel for the screen is a nice add.
Like the engine in the Mazda 3, the 2.5 has pep and goes about its business with almost 'just enough' power for most.  Linear power delivery and within decent smoothness.
Automatic trans seems well mated to the car's power output.
Backseat accommodates many, even if leg room is a little less than competitors.  Comfort is good for size given.  Seats well shaped.
Very confident this rig will get advertised mpg, which is quite good.

Feels stable on the road.  "Good" ride, handling, steering.
Linear and predictable action in all the controls.
Seems quieter than the 2014 model. 
Good value for the price, and feeling of a well made piece.

The fact that I could duplicate many of these same good attributes from the Mazda3 test drive, yes the cars feel very much the same.

LOWS:
Needs a bit more punch, and lacks torque.  Needs a sweet spot in the powerband somewhere, otherwise, this is merely just a motor.  Auto tranny tries, but you might want to sample the stick.  Hey Mazda, do a turbo.
Not as bad as the tires on the Mazda3, but these OEM's weren't great.
Again, like the Mazda3, there is nothing elevated driving experience.  There is no zoom zoom in the ride, handling or steering.  Steering in fact felt pretty slow.

I am still liking the Passat and Fusion ahead of this.  In particular I don't see this Mazda doing anything the Fusion doesn't already do as well or better, with the only exception being the BMW knockoff interior.

Improved noise level inside doesn't come with all road surfaces, some pavement types will bring a fair amount of tire noise back inside.

Like the Mazda3, to me this car struggles to compel you to buy it with any one superior feature.

No performance version in a car and brand that advertises it inside and out is pretty lame.

Yes, I understand I was not testing the top end model........

SUMMARY:

Again, this will be similar to my Mazda3 review, except i think more criticism can be laid down here.  Don't expect any sizzle with the steak as far as elevated performance here.  Yes, it's a nice uptick over a Camry or an Altima, but this really is not a driver's car yet.  The magazine buff books are do desperate to crown a king in this segment that has some life in it and so they don't have to heap all the praise on Honda.  So its almost like they are giving a trophy to anyone who half heartedly tries.

I do give Mazda props for the interior updates, they are knockout, and in fact if you tell me you love this car for merely the styling, interior, and pleasant drive for a Japanese brand, I say that's bangup.  But that's only because the Camry's and Altimas are so low bar.

Mazda up until now has had to spread their resources real thin, and so I imagine this body will be around several years.  The fact that they remade the interior so quickly and integrated the new screen and control wheel, it shows me they are committed to keeping this design fresh.  So I have to believe they have some things in the works for the future for performance here.  I can't blame anybody for liking the car, as it is good or very good.  But it's not king of the class.  It's probably in the top 3 or 4.  The Fusion is still really the car that will satisfy the biggest cross section of buyers.  Mazda really desperately needs to get a version of this car out that has a killer motor and damn great steering and handling, and leverage their supposed elevated driving experience rep.  Maybe the upper trim does?  Buy it, you are not in any way getting a bad car, but for all the hype, its still a bit away from delivering on that IMO.......  B+

Edited by regfootball

The Mazda 3 and 6 are two of the quickest models in their segments, why so lukewarm toward the skyactiv engines? Maybe jaded by 300 hp offerings everywhere? I do wish they'd design a new performance engine to go head to head with V6s and turbo 4s within the class, but volume engine against volume engine, the 2.0L and 2.5L are some of the best. The Fusion in particular is almost a full second slower from 0-60 with the 1.5T, and the turbo lag of these small displacement turbos leaves a lot to be desired off the line.

Powered by a 184-hp 2.5-liter four-cylinder and driving the front wheels through either a crisp six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic, the 6 is efficient, but acceleration is relaxed compared to some of its rivals—but we love its finesse so much, it’s easy to forget such minor issues.

http://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/mazda-6