GM’s Sales Beat Analyst Expectations, Buck Industry Trend

• Total sales up 3 percent, retail deliveries up 7 percent
  • Chevrolet pickups up 30 percent: Silverado gains 3 points of retail market share; Colorado still the fastest-selling pickup
  • GMC up 12 percent as crossovers and pickups surge
  • Commercial deliveries up for the 19th consecutive month 

DETROIT – Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac dealers in the United States delivered 293,097 vehicles in May 2015, for General Motors Co.’s (NYSE: GM) best May sales since 2007 and its best month since August 2008. Total sales were up 3 percent year over year and retail sales were up 7 percent in a month when most major competitors lost ground. Pickup trucks and crossovers were especially strong sellers.

“Chevrolet has the hot hand in the pickup market thanks to our three-truck strategy,” said Kurt McNeil, General Motors’ U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “Our market share is growing and our strategy is to retain these customers with the best overall ownership experience.”

The Chevrolet Silverado’s estimated retail segment share was 27 percent in May, according to J.D. Power PIN data, up 3 percentage points year over year. Calendar year to date, the truck’s retail segment share is 26 percent, up 1 percentage point.

Demand for the all-new Colorado midsize pickup is rising faster than GM’s ability to increase production, even with the addition of a third production shift in March. With 8,881 sales in May, the Colorado controls about one-quarter of the retail market for midsize pickups and it has been the industry’s fastest-selling pickup for four consecutive months. Its “days to turn” is only 13 days, according to PIN, and retail inventory is 11 days.

Demand is also soaring for Chevrolet crossovers, which had their best sales ever in May. The Equinox was up 30 percent compared to a year ago and the Traverse rose 2 percent. Retail deliveries for the Equinox and Traverse were up 15 percent and 30 percent, respectively. The all-new Trax small crossover also continues to gain momentum, with 5,707 deliveries.

Growth at GMC, which focuses exclusively on trucks and crossovers, is far outpacing the industry. The brand had its best May since 2005, up 12 percent year over year.

The GMC Sierra was up 4 percent. Terrain had its best May sales ever, with sales up 11 percent, the Acadia had its best month ever, with sales up 67 percent, and the new Canyon contributed 2,901 units. Calendar year to date, GMC sales are up 15 percent.

Additional Highlights vs. 2014 (except as noted)

Chevrolet

• Chevrolet pickup sales totaled 60,483 units, up 30 percent. Silverado deliveries were up 11 percent and the Colorado had its best month since launch.
  • Sonic deliveries were up 3 percent, Malibu was up 11 percent and Corvette was up 6 percent, for its best May since 1986.
  • Chevrolet continued to have the lowest passenger car incentives in the industry on average transaction price (ATP) basis compared to other full-line manufacturers, according to PIN.­

Cadillac

• The SRX saw a 21-percent increase and Escalade sales were up 6 percent.

GMC

• GMC pickup sales were up 19 percent, and the Sierra and Canyon have the highest ATPs in their respective segments, according to PIN.

Buick

• Buick sales were up. Enclave deliveries were up 23 percent and the Encore was up 21 percent, for its 17th consecutive year-over-year sales increase.

Fleet and Commercial

• Commercial deliveries were up 5 percent in May, with full-size pickups up 9 percent. Deliveries of medium crossovers and the Chevrolet Malibu more than doubled. Through May, commercial deliveries have grown year over year for 19 consecutive months and they are up 24 percent calendar year to date.
  • State and local government sales were up 29 percent in May, and 23 percent calendar year to date.
  • GM’s total sales increase in May came despite a planned 7,000-unit decline in rental deliveries. The decline reflects the discontinuation of the fleet-only Chevrolet Captiva, as well as lower production of the fleet-only Chevrolet Impala Limited and lower sales of large SUVs.
  • June rental deliveries are planned to be down more than 20,000 units, year over year.
  • GM is prioritizing retail deliveries of large SUVs due to strong demand and low inventories, which currently stand at 62 days supply.

General Motors

• May ATPs were approximately $34,000, up $550 per unit year over year, according to PIN. They are up about $1,300 calendar year to date.
  • Incentive spending as a percentage of ATPs was 10.6 percent in May, equal to a year ago, according to PIN. Industry average spending was 10 percent of ATPs, also equal to a year ago.
  • GM estimates that the seasonally adjusted annual selling rate (SAAR) for light vehicles in May was 17.6 million units, above GM’s full-year outlook of 16.5 million to 17.0 million units.

post-10485-0-93285900-1433252878_thumb.j

It's crazy how good the Lambdas and the Equinox/Terrain are selling this late into the models' lifespans. I know they're all recently refreshed, but it's mostly cosmetic. Hoping for strong Equinox/Terrain LFX V6 sales in case I need a good low-cost family vehicle in the future. I've always liked the design and interiors, the refreshed Terrain really sparked my interest.

Cadillac rebounded a bit this month, but I really hope things improve further with the roll out of the improved 2016 line up (8-speed autos across the board, new engines, ATS-V, CT6).

I'm surprised the Camaro sold over 9,000 units, but the rest of the auto industry is probably more surprised that Chevy is crushing the compact/subcompact market.

I am amazed that the crossovers still sell so strong this late into the life cycles as well.  In general I am amazed at how much people buy crossovers from all brands.  Especially small crossovers, because something like an Equinox or CR-V probably has less usable interior space than an Accord or Camry, and a car is going to deliver better handling, braking, acceleration, and fuel economy than an SUV. 

I am amazed that the crossovers still sell so strong this late into the life cycles as well.  In general I am amazed at how much people buy crossovers from all brands.  Especially small crossovers, because something like an Equinox or CR-V probably has less usable interior space than an Accord or Camry, and a car is going to deliver better handling, braking, acceleration, and fuel economy than an SUV. 

Everyone I know with a crossover wont give the damn things up. It's the rear hatch that makes things so convenient for loading.

Keep in mind, these new crossovers at any size are faster and drive better than sedans did 10 years ago. Most people don't even realize they're missing out on "driving dynamics" compared to newer sedans (much less performance cars).

• 2 weeks later...

It's crazy how good the Lambdas and the Equinox/Terrain are selling this late into the models' lifespans. I know they're all recently refreshed, but it's mostly cosmetic. Hoping for strong Equinox/Terrain LFX V6 sales in case I need a good low-cost family vehicle in the future. I've always liked the design and interiors, the refreshed Terrain really sparked my interest.

Cadillac rebounded a bit this month, but I really hope things improve further with the roll out of the improved 2016 line up (8-speed autos across the board, new engines, ATS-V, CT6).

I'm surprised the Camaro sold over 9,000 units, but the rest of the auto industry is probably more surprised that Chevy is crushing the compact/subcompact market.

RE Compact/subcompact-It has taken a long time to rebuild brand equity....since they ahve done it with solid product, I expect them to keep incre.

Everyone I know with a crossover wont give the damn things up. It's the rear hatch that makes things so convenient for loading.

Keep in mind, these new crossovers at any size are faster and drive better than sedans did 10 years ago. Most people don't even realize they're missing out on "driving dynamics" compared to newer sedans (much less performance cars).

A lot of women are shorter and like being able to see out of the darned things....and loading groceries and getting kids in car seats is often easier in an SUV/crossover.