Thed

M vs. M vs. M  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which car?

• Miata Club ~$31k
    • Miata Sport ~$27k
    • Mustang GT PP ~$37k

Yes this is serious. 

These are my two favorite new cars out today, but I can only afford one (duh). 

Given I won't be in the market for one in a couple of years (or sooner if I get restless), I still need to keep myself amused. Yes, need. They will be my DD, keep in my I will have my trucks in case you guys ask about the practicality. Also, I'm 21 and single, if there's ANY time to have an impractical car it's NOW.

Basically it's going to go like this: Pro's and Con's for each. 

Miata Pro's

-Weight

-Price

-Cost of Insurence 

-MPG's

-Better Driver's car

-DAMN GOOD LOOKS

-Roadster

Miata Con's

-Size (I fit, though some of my my friends won't)

-Storage 

-Option Packaging

Mustang GT PP Pro's

-Coyote V8

-Interior size

-The existance of a back seat

-Torsen diff

-EVEN BETTER LOOKS

-All-around better performance

-More comfortable DD

-Storage

-Larger Performance Potential

-American made

Mustang GT PP Con's

-Weight

-Price

-Cost of Insurance

-Fuel Mileage won't be the best

-Maintenace costs (8 QTS Synthetic, expensive tires and brakes)

-Ugly wheels

Now I'm a less-is-more kind of guy. I like the base models. The Mustag is a base model. I can get everything I want and nothing I don't with the way Ford packaged it. The same cannot be said for the Miata. So here's the comparo of the Sport (base) vs. the Club (Enthusiast's choice).

Sport

-Standard radio w/ Bluetooth

-Basic power options standard (PL, PW, PS, A/C)

-Lightest option possible

Club

-Bilstein dampers

-Strut Tower Brace

-LSD

-Body-color painted door sills

-10mm wider tires on larger wheels

-Touchscreen radio interface

-Blind spot system

-Rain-sensing wipers

-other useless electronic crap. 

Basically I want the Sport, with the first five things I listed on the Club. That's my biggest gripe with the Miata. In order to get the options I want, I have to upgrade to the trim with half of the crap I really DON'T want. 

So go ahead, vote away and please add to the list of pro's and con's. Right now the Miata is winning my heart, but that may be the hype with the reviews coming out recently. 

Well, OK. Reading over the options list for US, the auto wipers and BLIS are actually NOT on the Club like I previously read. That's better. Now if they could just get rid of the touchscreen...

Two very different cars. Really depends on what you want them for. A Mustang has DD capability, and you could always go 2.3EB perf pkg to get lower weight, lower price, and more FE as a step toward the MX-5's qualities.

The real answer will follow some in-depth test drives. If you go Miata, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't get the Club. The base is for chicks with purse dogs.

Two very different cars. Really depends on what you want them for. A Mustang has DD capability, and you could always go 2.3EB perf pkg to get lower weight, lower price, and more FE as a step toward the MX-5's qualities.

The real answer will follow some in-depth test drives. If you go Miata, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't get the Club. The base is for chicks with purse dogs.

I want fun a fun DD. Yes these are completely different ways of achieving fun, but that's the only way you can compare them. In the end I think it's just going to boil down how much fun I have at low speeds, which is where the Miata is going to shine, and where the Mustang is going to likely be boring by comparison. 

Shame on you suggesting I get a Mustang with anything less than a V8.

10-4 on the Club part.

Edited by Thed

Miata, you have to settle for no space, cramped interior room and a true coffin on wheels.

I value your life more and would rather support American owned companies.

Mustang wins! :)

• Disagree 1

Another plus of the Miata, you won't be plagued by "The Musta Effect".   :XD:  :roflmao:

I know better than to spin out while driving straight. Unless you're taking about people wanting to race a Mustang all the time. Or unless you think I'll turn into Badstang.

Another plus of the Miata, you won't be plagued by "The Musta Effect".   :XD:  :roflmao:

I know better than to spin out while driving straight. Unless you're taking about people wanting to race a Mustang all the time. Or unless you think I'll turn into Badstang.

It seemed like an appropriate spot to reminisce about the hilarity of that epic failure from MTs forums.

It seemed like an appropriate spot to reminisce about the hilarity of that epic failure from MTs forums.

I actually remember a time where he wasn't that unbearable. That was a WHILE back though.

You want neither. You need to go with an Accord Coupe...because wrong wheel....err FWD drive. 

Secondly...the sun and the beach are waaaaaay overrated...snow and ice is what you crave...and you know it! :yes:

Seriously...that is such a personal decision to make. Because the cars in question are so different...

Alls I got to say is that it aint a negative if the Miata is for YOUR own driving pleasure and you cant fit more than one friend in the Miata...its too damned bad for your friends....let them hitch rides from some of your other friends...

• Agree 1

You want neither. You need to go with an Accord Coupe...because wrong wheel....err FWD drive. 

Secondly...the sun and the beach are waaaaaay overrated...snow and ice is what you crave...and you know it!  :yes:

Uhhhmmm, no.

Seriously...that is such a personal decision to make. Because the cars in question are so different...

Alls I got to say is that it aint a negative if the Miata is for YOUR own driving pleasure and you cant fit more than one friend in the Miata...its too damned bad for your friends....let them hitch rides from some of your other friends...

I don't really care about the number of friends I can fit (see Ranger) but the size of the friends themselves. Most will fit, there will be a few, however, that will be limited to short trips. 

Seriously, it's all going to be decided by the test drive. 

The new Miata is all kinda good.   I prefer cars that can dance over raw speed. 

I wish I could have both, but it's not happening in this price range. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again-if you're going to get a Miata then at least wait to see what the Fiat version looks like.

I don't believe the new Mustang will be able to match the new Camaro, trim level for trim level. But that done make it a turnip, and that engine is a pretty sweet-sounding device.

Finally, a politically-incorrect but necessary question: as a single 21 year-old, how long do you wish to remain single? Because each of these cars, rightly or wrongly, carry baggage on that front. You can be the hoon in the Mustang, or the, uh... sensitive guy in the Miata. Hey, I don't make consensus-but I do report it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again-if you're going to get a Miata then at least wait to see what the Fiat version looks like.

I don't believe the new Mustang will be able to match the new Camaro, trim level for trim level. But that done make it a turnip, and that engine is a pretty sweet-sounding device.

Finally, a politically-incorrect but necessary question: as a single 21 year-old, how long do you wish to remain single? Because each of these cars, rightly or wrongly, carry baggage on that front. You can be the hoon in the Mustang, or the, uh... sensitive guy in the Miata. Hey, I don't make consensus-but I do report it.

I'm not having high hopes for the Fiata. Unless Mazda only lets them add a badge to it, FCA ir probably just going to make it heavy with the 1.4T, and in the wrong spot, too. Besides, the 1.4T has been having turbo problems. 

The looks of the new Camaro just don't do it for me. It's a step backwards from a car that already didn't look as good as the new Mustang from a design standpoint IMO. Except for the interior, the new Camaro's interior is a HUGE improvement over the 5th-gen. 

If I was worried by the image people have of me based on what I drove influenced my car buying decisions, I wouldn't be considering either. ANd I wouldn't own a Volvo. 

• 2 weeks later...