FORD U.S. SALES UP ON STRONG CUSTOMER DEMAND FOR NEWEST PRODUCTS – F-SERIES, MUSTANG, EDGE, EXPLORER, TRANSIT VANS

• Ford brand SUVs sales up 10 percent, delivering best June sales performance since 2002; sales of all-new Ford Edge up 30 percent, new Explorer up 30 percent versus last year
  • Ford F-Series achieves record average transaction pricing, while all-new F-150 turns twice as fast on dealer lots than industry’s half-ton pickup segment; Ford Transit commercial vans post best June sales since 1999
  • Ford Mustang has best June performance since 2007
  • Lincoln delivers best June retail sales results in eight years
  • Ford Motor Company total U.S. sales increase 2 percent last month

DEARBORN, Mich., July 1, 2015 – Strong consumer demand for its newest products pushed Ford Motor Company total U.S. June sales 2 percent higher, to 225,647 vehicles sold.

“Strong retail momentum continues building for our newest vehicles – including F-150, Mustang, Edge, and now Explorer,” said Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “The Ford brand’s average transaction prices have increased $2,700 versus a year ago – more than triple the industry average – while our incentives are down, showing how much customers value our investment in new vehicles with the latest technologies.”

F-Series average transaction prices reached an all-time record in June, with average transaction prices moving above $44,000 per truck – $3,600 higher than last year. The all-new F-150 is turning twice as fast on dealer lots than the industry average for half-ton pickups, as Ford continues building dealer stocks.

Ford brand SUV sales were up 10 percent year over year, producing the best June sales results since 2002 – with 64,885 vehicles sold. Sales of the new Explorer are off to a fast start, with a total of 20,377 sold, an increase of 30 percent versus a year ago. Sales of the all-new Edge increased 30 percent in June versus last year, with 12,587 vehicles sold. Edge continues to turn quickly on dealer lots – at just 15 days – while the new Explorer is turning in just seven days. 

Ford van sales totaling 21,419 vehicles represent a 31 percent increase relative to last year, for the best June results since 1999. During the first half of the year, van sales totaled 109,783 vehicles – a 26 percent increase and our best first half van sales performance since 1988. The all-new Transit, with sales of 12,134 vans last month, is driving Ford’s segment growth, with its strongest-ever sales month.

Mustang sales were up 54 percent, with 11,719 cars sold. This represents Mustang’s best June performance since 2007. Mustang sales are particularly strong in America’s largest sports car region, Southern California, where retail sales are up 157 percent in June. 

Lincoln retail sales increased 20 percent versus a year ago, providing the premium brand with its best June results since 2007. Lincoln MKC continues to build momentum, along with Navigator, which posted a 39 percent sales increase for June. All-new Lincoln MKX sales started late last month.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Great to see Lincoln continue it's double digit increases. 

I think that by summers end we will see it continue that with new MKX selling briskly.  I bet sales of 10K by years end with clearance sales.  Next year should be a big one for Lincoln.  Finally.  

I hope for Ford's sake the F150 sales drop IS due to frame shortages.  Anybody know what the turn rate is for the new F150?  How many days are they spending on the lots?  It says it is turning twice as fast as competitors but what is the actual number?

I do wonder if the tepid styling changes w/ this new generation has hurt sales..it looks virtually the same as it's predecessor, different light clusters and grille shape, but still the same bland, boring blocky styling themes of the last 2 generations..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

They spent too much on the body material changes and too little on the rest of the vehicle. Who cares about an aluminum body if it's still the same weight as a Silverado and has two fewer gears in the tranny? And people have caught on to the EcoBoost's inability to generate FE numbers any better than a Hemi or Smallblock.

Some folks are blaming the frame vendor issues. Maybe. But I also know it's easy to throw a vendor under the bus when a product is underachieving. And I'm leaning towards the second theory.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Find it hilarious that Wings is not bringing up the fact that Ford was 35% Fleet sales last month. 

Fleet

June Mo. '15 / '14

Commercial 11 % / 12 %

Government 6 % / 6 %

Rental 18 % / 16 %

Total 35 % / 34 %

That is because when Ford does that...its good business....but if GM does that...its bad, its bad!!!

• Agree 1

They spent too much on the body material changes and too little on the rest of the vehicle. Who cares about an aluminum body if it's still the same weight as a Silverado and has two fewer gears in the tranny? And people have caught on to the EcoBoost's inability to generate FE numbers any better than a Hemi or Smallblock.

Some folks are blaming the frame vendor issues. Maybe. But I also know it's easy to throw a vendor under the bus when a product is underachieving. And I'm leaning towards the second theory.

Na, inventory is low.  Friends of mine just bought an F-150.  They wanted a very specific configuration.  They couldn't get it... and the one they settled for still had to be shipped 150miles.

I'm not casting doubt on your story by any means... but that's also what happened with my Ram. I specified my engine, bed length, and air suspension. It took a few days to get to South E-town, and when I asked where it came from I got a look like "man, you don't wanna know."

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Find it hilarious that Wings is not bringing up the fact that Ford was 35% Fleet sales last month. 

Fleet

June Mo. '15 / '14

Commercial 11 % / 12 %

Government 6 % / 6 %

Rental 18 % / 16 %

Total 35 % / 34 %

Yeah, rental fleet needle moved a bit last month, but that is on the heels of months of scaling back on Edge, Focus, F150 and Explorer as they launched new products.  But still, 18% of 35% (or 6.3% of total sales) is still lower than GM.

Btw, care to put up GM's numbers casa for reference.

Edmonton, man.

Edmon-frickin-ton. The Texas of the North. And no, that's not just patriotic boasting. Alberta is nearly as crazy for trucks as the Lone Star crew.

I know, but I'm talking overall regional population. 

I'm reasonably sure that the current retail sales standings for the Detroit Gang are:

1) GM

2) Mopar

3) Ford

...which is kinda astonishing, really.

I dunno why I indulge that simple mutha***ker, but when I get to have my cake.. and eat it too.. its worth they typing:

GM's fleet sales made up 20 percent of its volume in June, down from 28 percent a year ago

Ford's fleet sales made up 35 percent of its volume in June, UP from 34%  percent a year ago

What that means to Wings is that of:

GM's 259,353, only 51,870 were fleet, leaving 207,483 retail.

Ford sold a total of 225,647, and 78,976 were fleet with retail being  146,671.

Wait WHAT!!! GM sold almost as many Retail alone as Ford sold TOTAL????!!!! LMFAO :bowl: 

Edmonton, man.

Edmon-frickin-ton. The Texas of the North. And no, that's not just patriotic boasting. Alberta is nearly as crazy for trucks as the Lone Star crew.

I know, but I'm talking overall regional population.

The Edmonton/Calgary corridor has a population of 2.5 or 3 million. Not quite as big as Pittsburgh I suppose, but still pretty darn big.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I'm reasonably sure that the current retail sales standings for the Detroit Gang are:

1) GM

2) Mopar

3) Ford

I dunno why I indulge that simple mutha***ker, but when I get to have my cake.. and eat it too.. its worth they typing:

GM's fleet sales made up 20 percent of its volume in June, down from 28 percent a year ago

Ford's fleet sales made up 35 percent of its volume in June, UP from 34%  percent a year ago

Wait WHAT!!! GM sold almost as many Retail alone as Ford sold TOTAL????!!!! LMFAO :bowl: 

For years now casa, I have been repeating the same fact, and for years now, you have been ignoring it, in that rental fleet is the worst fleet and commercial, government, etc......is the good fleet.

Transit sales ALONE have spiked the commercial percentage, by design. You keep pretending that it is a mistake on their part to design and build and grow commercial fleet, and I keep spiking that ball in your face.  Will you ever learn?

So go ahead and show the rental percent for GM, which is only 6.3% for Ford. You know, for reference. :thumbsup:

Edited by Wings4Life

1) GM

2) Mopar

3) Ford

For years now casa, I have been repeating the same fact, and for years now, you have been ignoring it, in that rental fleet is the worst fleet and commercial, government, etc......is the good fleet.

Transit sales ALONE have spiked the commercial percentage, by design. You keep pretending that it is a mistake on their part to design and build and grow commercial fleet, and I keep spiking that ball in your face.  Will you ever learn?

So go ahead and show the rental percent for GM, which is only 6.3% for Ford. You know, for reference. :thumbsup:

1)  RETAIL > Fleet. Any Fleet. GM beat the $h! outta Ford on Retail.. by about 60,000 retail vehicles. Are U implying that Ford's Fleet vehicles.. rental, gov't. or commercial.. is better than GM having more Retail??? If so.. U are a drunk on Field's juices  :thumbsup:

2) Look at the numbers Dimwit.  Hell even without the actual GM breakdown of  numbers:

Ford sold 18% of it's 35% Fleet.. to Rental.

GM only sold 20% Fleet overall.  I'm pretty sure that GM sold more than 2% of that 20% to places other than Rental.

3) your foolishness has always supposed that GM send all of its fleet cars to Rental for some odd reason. Despite all of knowing that the Tahoe, Yukon, Impala, Caprice, Malibu, Express Van are all known quantities in Gov't fleet

What I do know is that GM favored Retail and commercial fleet sales over Rental last month. 

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Ford brand outsold every other brand in NA.

No debate there.

Now, casa, kindly show the GM rental fleet, preferably with a link.

No debate there.

The problem with that argument, of course, is that Ford the BRAND is basically Ford the COMPANY. The other companies on my list do not face these limitations.

Like I said... Mopar beating Ford in retail sales is nothing less than a disaster for Dearborn.

• Agree 1

No debate there.

No.. U effin do it. I provided U with what matters overall; GM 20% Fleet sales vs Ford 35% Fleet sales, with Ford having 18% of their 35.. being Rental. U can't be this dumb. 

Ford's Rental Fleet sales, alone,  were almost the entirety of GM's TOTAL fleet sales

This is why a lot of people have U on their ignore list.. because U are blatantly stupid.. and a troll to boot that very rarely does anything, but ask idiotic questions or pose foolish innuendos.

Ford BRAND outselling every other GM BRAND in the U.S. is like suggesting that U are wealthier than some one because

U have

$20,000 (Ford) in Bank of America

$5,000 (Lincoln) in Wells Fargo

vs them having:

$19,000 in Bank of America (Chevy),

$14,000 in Wells Fargo (Cadillac)

$17,000 in Citibank (Buick)

$18,000 in JP Morgan Chase (GMC)

... with U only focusing on the Bank of America part

• Agree 1

1) GM

2) Mopar

3) Ford

1)  RETAIL > Fleet. Any Fleet. GM beat the $h! outta Ford on Retail.. by about 60,000 retail vehicles. Are U implying that Ford's Fleet vehicles.. rental, gov't. or commercial.. is better than GM having more Retail??? If so.. U are a drunk on Field's juices  :thumbsup:

2) Look at the numbers Dimwit.  Hell even without the actual GM breakdown of  numbers:

GM only sold 20% Fleet overall.  I'm pretty sure that GM sold more than 2% of that 20% to places other than Rental.

3) your foolishness has always supposed that GM send all of its fleet cars to Rental for some odd reason. Despite all of knowing that the Tahoe, Yukon, Impala, Caprice, Malibu, Express Van are all known quantities in Gov't fleet

What I do know is that GM favored Retail and commercial fleet sales over Rental last month. 

Sorry, gotta disagree with you here. I am not signaling out any one manufacturer with these statements.

Government fleet and commercial fleet is usually pretty profitable. It also has the advantage of not damaging residual values 18 months later like rental fleet does.   Retail isn't necessarily better than commercial or government fleet when there are large wads of cash on the hood to get them to move. 50 Retail sales with $3,500 in rebates aren't better than an order for 50 commercial vans at or close to invoice. 

Ok. Fair enough. But after enduring endless ranting about GM's large SUVs being helped out by government fleet sales it's funny to see Sergio's motley crew of brands putting more cars in garages than Henry and Son's One Brand Fits All Inc.

• Agree 1

1) GM

2) Mopar

3) Ford

Sorry, gotta disagree with you here. I am not signaling out any one manufacturer with these statements.

Government fleet and commercial fleet is usually pretty profitable. It also has the advantage of not damaging residual values 18 months later like rental fleet does.   Retail isn't necessarily better than commercial or government fleet when there are large wads of cash on the hood to get them to move. 50 Retail sales with $3,500 in rebates aren't better than an order for 50 commercial vans at or close to invoice. 

OK... then what is the profit per unit on both? GM is on record as saying they are not only making money on retail.. but even their rental sales yield nice profits versus the pre-2010 days. If U kno Wings... he has always.. and I mean always asserted that GM's Fleet sales are pretty much 100% Rental, while Ford's is 100% Commercial or Gov. While I will agree that GM normally has a higher rental percentage fleet than Ford... it doesn't mean that GM doesn't also have Gov/Commercial fleet sales. 

What makes it worse is that a majority of Ford's Fleet sales last month, 18% (vs 6% Gov and 11% Commer) went to the very thing Wings says is the scourge of the industry; RENTAL. 18%!!! That's 2% lower than the entirety of GM's 20% Fleet rate last month. 

Normally.. and for the past few years GM has been firm on having about 24% of its fleet sales be Rental. That's the way its been. For June 2015.. GM's rental fleet number dropped 45% from last June.

I will also point ATPs for June were up over all makers except VW/AUDI

33mvm9k.jpg

It's almost all the F-150 though.  If Ford gets their act together on that, they'll be back above FCA again.  So any celebrating (why??) would only be temporary. 

Which says a lot.. about the Ford name. It is the quintessential "truck company." I'm never gonna celebrate Ford having to play third fiddle behind a Foreign company.. but when arguing against Wings.. I often find myself hating Ford because of it's idiot Defender #1

Again,  I was making general statements and not singling out any one manufacturer.  The assertion that Retail > Government Fleet > Commercial Fleet > Rental Fleet is not always true.   Making a profit on rental fleets is good, and all manufacturers should, however rental fleeting damages residual values and thus hurts leasing. 

These are general statements.

It's almost all the F-150 though.  If Ford gets their act together on that, they'll be back above FCA again.  So any celebrating (why??) would only be temporary. 

Which says a lot.. about the Ford name. It is the quintessential "truck company." I'm never gonna celebrate Ford having to play third fiddle behind a Foreign company.. but when arguing against Wings.. I often find myself hating Ford because of it's idiot Defender #1

If you're going to hate on Ford... hate on it for something they did...  like Sync.... not for any of their fanbois.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

As Drew mentioned above, and as I have preached ad nauseam now for what can almost be counted in decades rather that years…..is that commercial & government fleet is a far better business model than rental fleet. But I don’t just argue this point for the sake of arguing and annoyance, as some like to constantly pretend, but usually as a rebuttal to the constant negativity toward Ford for building their profitable fleet (Hi Casa!!!). 

So for Ford, rental volume is low, has been for several years now, around the 6-7% of total sales level.  But the bulk of that 35% commercial volume (and growing) comes from building a better product.  And pretending or bragging how one’s preferred brand simply avoids good fleet because they ‘focus on retail’, really only means that your commercial product/selection is either not good enough to attract sales, or that their business savvy needs to rethink how they run things.  Ford is proud of their selection that helps to build and maintain and prosper our way of lives….and….I am pretty certain generates more profit than a retail Focus or Fusion or the like.

Fleetserviceiamge.jpgTransit_Lineup_570.jpg

Edited by Wings4Life

Again,  I was making general statements and not singling out any one manufacturer.  The assertion that Retail > Government Fleet > Commercial Fleet > Rental Fleet is not always true.   Making a profit on rental fleets is good, and all manufacturers should, however rental fleeting damages residual values and thus hurts leasing. 

These are general statements.

If you're going to hate on Ford... hate on it for something they did...  like Sync.... not for any of their fanbois.

When their fanbois have acted as creepy as some of the ones we've endured over the years you tend to take a certain grim satisfaction in their difficulties :D :D :D

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Why is it that everyone but casa recognizes the irony in this statement.

Casa, how unaware are you of the fact that you are GM's biggest fan?

How then, pray tell, is my preference for Ford any different?

Shoot, I actually purchase/own GM and mopar vehicles as well, and have for years.

So you can disagree, but the hate you spew gets old. Has in fact, for decades.

I too wonder what GM is going to do about commercial fleet in the future.   They are missing out on the small commercial market even though they have the City Express (most of the profits flow to Nissan I bet) and the Express and Savana are already the oldest vans on the market.    I'd like to see GM keep in the traditional van market but also offer a "EuroVan" like the Transit and ProMaster.

The wildcard though is Nissan.  They have been quietly building a strong commercial business and if GM's traditional vans leave the market, Nissan will be the only one left with a traditional big van with a V8. 

Drew: the big van market is in flux right now. It's possible that the big V8 bruisers are dying off because they weren't allowed to evolve, or maybe the diesel/Sprinter-type is the better solution globally.

If it's a matter of manufacturing capacity limiting them then I get GM just dipping their toe in the segment. Otherwise, ya, they should be a bit more aggressive. Then again, I don't know what sales breakdowns are for the Canyonado either. Now that fleet sales have been deemed to be ok again I think it's worth looking into :D

Edited by El Kabong
  • Agree 1