Silverado 3500HD Chassis Cab joins growing ranks of Bi-fuel

G. David Felt
Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

Chevy Adds 3500HD Chassis Cab to CNG Lineup

GM anounced quietly back on 5-7-2015 that they would be adding their Silverado 3500HD Chassis Cab Bi-fuel truck to the CNG lineup. This truck will be available in either 2WD or 4WD and comes with a 24.5 gallon CNG tank and a 23.5 Petrol tank. They have launched this new bi-fuel option with Southern California Gas Co who will take delivery of 5,000 trucks between now and the end of the year. Southern California Gas has committed to making their fleet CNG by 2020 per the Press Release. These CNG trucks will come with GM's standard 5yr 100,000 mile warranty for qualified commercial and government fleets. All other customers will get a 5yr 60,000 mile warranty. Regardless of who you are all CNG customers will get 2 years 24,000 miles of scheduled maintenance.

If I recall, CNG has some crazy octane rating but lower energy density than gasoline. So she will run, but not for overly long.

Wrong, CNG is 110 Octane and on a gallon to gallon equal you get higher HP and Torque for CNG. 

Ethanol is where you loos HP and Torque. Terrible Fuel and Waste of Tax dollars plus the increase in food costs on corn.

When are they gonna launch it?

Available now from your fleet sales rep.

If I recall, CNG has some crazy octane rating but lower energy density than gasoline. So she will run, but not for overly long.

Wrong, CNG is 110 Octane and on a gallon to gallon equal you get higher HP and Torque for CNG. 

Ethanol is where you loos HP and Torque. Terrible Fuel and Waste of Tax dollars plus the increase in food costs on corn.

So I was right on the octane, and possibly wrong on the mileage (I'm pretty sure the mpg versus ethanol is roughly the same). Either way, it'll probably remain a niche fuel solution for now.

So I was right on the octane, and possibly wrong on the mileage (I'm pretty sure the mpg versus ethanol is roughly the same). Either way, it'll probably remain a niche fuel solution for now.

Actually CNG is growing and is a logical next step off oil till batteries can hold 500 miles in a charge.

Right now 15% of the US Trucking fleet is either CNG or LNG, UPS has plans to have both long haul and local delivery all on CNG by 2018. Washington state Ferry system largest in the US is changing over to LNG and will be complete by 2018.

Since you get more HP and Torque and it only produces about 1/3 the green house gas, and the US has the worlds Largest proven reserves I believe we will move this way. Plenty of available CNG models also from the OEM's.