2017 Lincoln Continental spied inside and out

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Too much camo to tell us much of anything unfortunately... but the proportions seem to be different than the concept and not in a positive way.

I was going to say the same thing but I was getting tired of him downvoting me. I think it's a reflex action at this point.

On a serious note: this is precisely what any level-headed car guy could see coming a mile away. Ford will not be doing anything serious in the near-lux/luxury game until the D6 platform drops. As it stands this will have trouble keeping up with the Hyundai Equus, never mind Cadillac or the Europeans.

Edited by El Kabong
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

What's the policy on posting watermarked images? Just wanted to show the difference in the front overhang, in particular. Even with enormous wheels, the concept had a much better dash to axle ratio. The production version might even have a larger rear overhang too, but that's harder to tell.

03-lincoln-continental-concept-ny-1.jpg

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Can't show images watermarked like that, sorry.

Too much camo to tell us much of anything unfortunately... but the proportions seem to be different than the concept and not in a positive way.

I was going to say the same thing but I was getting tired of him downvoting me. I think it's a reflex action at this point.

On a serious note: this is precisely what any level-headed car guy could see coming a mile away. Ford will not be doing anything serious in the near-lux/luxury game until the D6 platform drops. As it stands this will have trouble keeping up with the Hyundai Equus, never mind Cadillac or the Europeans.

It all depends on pricing.  As I said, we really can't see much under the camo.  If it keeps most of the look of the concept it will easily do better than the Equus and K900.  If it matches the XTS's highpoint in sales while having a higher pricepoint, I'd consider that successful for a brand as damaged as Lincoln.

I think we're putting too much weight on what is expected of the Continental. It doesn't need to out S-Class the S-Class... it just needs to make a compelling argument as to why the Lincoln brand should continue. I think it has a really good chance of providing that.

It all depends on pricing.  As I said, we really can't see much under the camo.  If it keeps most of the look of the concept it will easily do better than the Equus and K900.  If it matches the XTS's highpoint in sales while having a higher pricepoint, I'd consider that successful for a brand as damaged as Lincoln.

I think we're putting too much weight on what is expected of the Continental. It doesn't need to out S-Class the S-Class... it just needs to make a compelling argument as to why the Lincoln brand should continue. I think it has a really good chance of providing that.

I'd say both pricing and styling, personally. If this thing gets dumbed-down for production then what was the point of the concept? All the car mags (and more than a few Ford fans) were crowing about how the Continental was the hit of the New York show. Now the spy photos show up and more and more it looks like it was just another mirage. The CT6, whatever you may think of it, is at least an accurate snapshot of where Cadillac currently stands.

As for pricing... if the number starts with a five, it's fighting an uphill battle. If it starts with a six it's DOA.

• Agree 1

$49,950 would probably be a fair starting price.

If that's your stance on concepts... why ever do a concept?

I think it's a particular case with Lincoln. People have been begging for greatness, they don't want a significantly dumbed down flagship in 2016. A lot of hopes ride on the production version of the Continental.

Good question.

I guess these days we're spoiled by the ability of modern automakers to use tech and manufacturing techniques that let production cars look much like concept cars, certainly way more than in the past. Some may take the opposite side of that and argue that concept cars have themselves become less imaginative. But when I see something like a Zeta Camaro or i8 come to market it still makes the mind boggle.

When the Continental Concept debuted everyone raved about the proportions, and how it didn't look like a FWD-based car. That was the big thing, along with the limousine back seat. The bodywork itself was pleasant enough, but painfully derivative.

So. Now it looks like we are going to be getting pleasant but derivative bodywork with conventional FWD-based overhangs and a more conventional interior. Which begs the question: what makes this car so special, again?

• Agree 2

In my head I was thinking $49,950 base price before I read your post. And that would be with the 400 HP engine and AWD standard.

• 1 month later...