2016 Cruze walkaround video!

153 hp and 177 lb-ft makes it one of the most powerful standard engines in a compact, and the weight loss will make it among the lightest. On paper, it has every chance to rival the Mazda 3 in dynamics. The Corolla uses an engine over a decade old, and both that and the Honda Civic have switched to CVTs. With the Sentra down graded to a non-player in the segment these days, the Cruze has plenty of room to take top honors in the class.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

Yes the base model and  most others should be under 3000 pounds. That is big in this segment.

Interesting rear seat heaters. Not common even in higher classes. Nice detail.

Edited by hyperv6

Interesting that he would consider the 1.4 engine to be powerful, but I guess that compared to Tata Nanos and Hindustan Ambassadors it would be a beast.

Like CPtheNerd said.. the power in this Cruze will be quite a showing in this segment. The Mazda 3 carries 184hp/185lbs in its top engine (2.5L) and 155/150lbs in the base 2.0L. GM came up with a happy middle ground at 153/177lbs, not to mention that most likely.. based on their recent turbo undertakings.. the power and torque bands will likely be very early on the RPM run,  and linear.

Cimcasa you are correct. The turbo engines have very flat and long torque curves and are less peaky than the 3.6 V6. My two HF V6 cars do little till over 3500 RPM.

My Eco LNF will pull tree stumps at 2000 RPM and hold it to 5300.

Edited by hyperv6

HF V6 cars do little till over 3500 rpm?? You need to have a seat in my tuned Malibu. Even stock it would burn out on command with TC off.

The transverse DI V6s are just electronically limited on the low end. That's why a 4000 lb CTS 3.6L (LFX) would run 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and a 4000 lb XTS with the same exact engine would take closer to 7 seconds.

@ CP

I understand this but even then they do not have the flat torque curve of my LNF.  They are tuned for MPG.

Now on the other hand the simple tune on my Turbo adds 55-60 HP and added MPG confirmed by GM.

I have two HF V6 and they are good engines but I would take the LNF for the most fun with no tune and with a tune even more fun.

The Bu I have does just fine over 3500 it pulls well and gets around 25 around town. The even mine in the top trim is not really a sport sedan so it is enough for what I use it for.

Nice thread start, ocnblu

This car is the bomb. I hope they keep the price in check. I guess the cheapskates like me get the 'limited'.

Wish the diesel were available at job 1

The rear heated seats are a great thing. That was one of the big factors that led us to get the chrysler can instead of some others. It was more available at a lower price along with the heated steering wheel. Why should the kids freeze in the back? Elantra has rear heated seats available for a few years now.

Edited by regfootball