Ford spills Details about new Carbon Fiber GT350R Rims.

G. David Felt
Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

Motor Trend reports details of Fords new GT350R Rims.

post-12-0-10276300-1436802975_thumb.jpg

GT350R Carbon Fiber Wheels 

Interesting that only a few months ago in a differnt thread we were talking about tires and rims and I mentioned that Carbon Fiber rims would be the future and here Ford is making it happen with real rims.

Only 18lbs compared to 33pounds per rim for a 40% reduced weight and able to survive curb strike tests as well as Corrosive salts, road chemicals and UV.

So is the future to go to Carbon Fiber for more auto's?

Can you fix a cracked or chipped Carbon Fiber rim like aluminum and steel or is it a throw it away item?

post-12-0-01302800-1436802976_thumb.jpg

I would say that once you damage a CF rim it's a goner. Metals are malleable and ductile, carbon fibre isn't. That being said, I can't see a major manufacturer rolling the dice on technology like this if it ain't ready for prime time. It's an interesting item on what promises to be a great car.

I would say that once you damage a CF rim it's a goner. Metals are malleable and ductile, carbon fibre isn't. That being said, I can't see a major manufacturer rolling the dice on technology like this if it ain't ready for prime time. It's an interesting item on what promises to be a great car.

So if you have to throw it away, can it be recycled? Could you grind up the carbon fiber rim and reuse it in new products?

We'll Binging away I found there are companies that do recycle carbon fiber for hew products such as football gear. Even Boeing is committed to recycling all Dreamliners and their surplus product.

http://www.environmentalleader.com/2014/08/28/boeing-to-recycle-dreamliner-carbon-fiber/

http://www.adherent-tech.com/recycling_technologies/carbon_fiber_reclamation_faqs

http://carbonfiberremanufacturing.com/pages/recycling/disposal.php

Clearly we have found a way to reduce weight and make it recyclable so we do not put it in the landfills.

I'm not sure how bad carbon fibre would be for the environment. I mean carbon is, well... carbon. I suppose if individual threads of the stuff worked loose it could be bad for you like fibreglass. I'm guessing it's the resin that would be bad for you.

Yeah, CF is one and done. Even though it is stiffer than aluminum or steel; it's the type of fibres and their differing modulus that they weave to tune the stiffness while maintaining compliance.

I think for the intended purpose for a track specific vehicle that can be on the road; I think this should be a good opportunity to try the technology. Reducing rotational inertia and unstrung weight seem like the biggest benefits.