Z06 Engine "Fix"

ccap41

Saw this..Thought it was interesting. Thought I'd share. I haven't read it all yet because I gotta get going some place but thought I'd post it real quick.

"

Last time we checked in on the reportedly fussy Corvette Z06 engine, it was leaking vital fluids after Fox News reporter Gary Gastelu took it to the track.

Now it appears that Chevrolet has a fix for at least one of the Z06’s reported engine problems: change the oil, stat.

According to a General Motors spokesman, the catastrophic engine failures all seem to have three things in common: early production builds, oil contamination and low miles (under 2,000).

(Maybe that explains the one that bought the farm at 891 miles.)

According to Chevrolet, contaminants in the oil can cycle through the engine during break-in, causing all sorts of fun for owners. (We haven’t heard official word from some owners as to what exactly went wrong, but we’re efforting.) ..."

The rest of it is here: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/08/chevrolet-telling-corvette-z06-owners-change-oil-500-miles/

Yikes.

What's to keep minor contaminants out in the future?

"contaminants in the oil can cycle through the engine during break-in"

Reading is your friend. If you own a high performance sports car, why the hell would you start beating on the car before completing break-in and an oil change? Do we really have to stupid proof the entire planet now?

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Yikes.

What's to keep minor contaminants out in the future?

"contaminants in the oil can cycle through the engine during break-in"

Reading is your friend. If you own a high performance sports car, why the hell would you start beating on the car before completing break-in and an oil change? Do we really have to stupid proof the entire planet now?

Understood about the break-in. All engines go through break-in, and all engines are at risk downstream of other contaminants.

Agreed on personally breaking them in but I'm pretty sure manuals don't specify break in periods on anything really anymore. And if so its really short like 500 miles.. I think if I ever bought anything brand new I'd change the oil at 1000 miles then 3000 miles then every 5000 after that. I know modern engines and oil can easily hit 10000 mile intervals it's just the old school in me that has a hard time trusting that..even when there's proof otherwise..

Agreed on personally breaking them in but I'm pretty sure manuals don't specify break in periods on anything really anymore. And if so its really short like 500 miles.. I think if I ever bought anything brand new I'd change the oil at 1000 miles then 3000 miles then every 5000 after that. I know modern engines and oil can easily hit 10000 mile intervals it's just the old school in me that has a hard time trusting that..even when there's proof otherwise..

Yeah, but that's for your basic 4-cylinder Malibu.... something high end like a Corvette one would think the purchaser would be more attune to the needs of the engine during the break in period. 

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

What is confusing me is that these engines are hand assembled and then broken in properly on a dyno. Are they not? What am I missing here. This does not sound like a root cause to me.

Yeah, but that's for your basic 4-cylinder Malibu.... something high end like a Corvette one would think the purchaser would be more attune to the needs of the engine during the break in period.

I'm pretty sure that hi-po engines like the LT4 have some pretty intricate break-in recommendations. A quick Google search of a '15 Corvette Owner's Manual would probably confirm that.

But I'm tired.

From the Z06 manual:

New Vehicle Break-In
Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2414 km (1500 mi) of driving this vehicle.
Parts have a break-in period and performance will be better in the long run. For the first 322 km (200 mi):. To break in new tires, drive at
moderate speeds and avoid hard cornering for the first 322 km (200 mi). New brake linings also need a break- in period. Avoid making
hard stops during the first 322 km (200 mi). This is recommended every time brake linings are replaced.
For the first 800 km (500 mi):
. Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
. Do not exceed 4000 rpm.
. Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow, including the use of cruise control.
. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
. Do not let the engine labor.
Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.
For the first 2414 km (1500 mi):
. Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the first 2414 km (1500 mi).
. Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary.
Oil and fuel consumption may be higher than normal during the first 2414 km (1500 mi).

The only thing absent is completing an oil change at the 1500 mile mark.

I completely agree.. but in today's society if it isn't written in front of your face it'll come back to who made it's fault.

From the Z06 manual:

New Vehicle Break-In

Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 2414 km (1500 mi) of driving this vehicle.

Parts have a break-in period and performance will be better in the long run. For the first 322 km (200 mi):. To break in new tires, drive at

moderate speeds and avoid hard cornering for the first 322 km (200 mi). New brake linings also need a break- in period. Avoid making

hard stops during the first 322 km (200 mi). This is recommended every time brake linings are replaced.

For the first 800 km (500 mi):

. Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.

. Do not exceed 4000 rpm.

. Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow, including the use of cruise control.

. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.

. Do not let the engine labor.

Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. With a manual transmission, shift to the next lower gear. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period.

For the first 2414 km (1500 mi):

. Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the first 2414 km (1500 mi).

. Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary.

Oil and fuel consumption may be higher than normal during the first 2414 km (1500 mi).

The only thing absent is completing an oil change at the 1500 mile mark.

Good find!