Industry News: Rumorpile: Apple Ramps Up Development On Car To Debut In 2019

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple is going forward on building their own vehicle. According to sources, the company recently gave the approval for the project after spending a year investigating the feasibility of it. Codenamed 'Titan', the team behind the vehicle will grow from 600 to around 1,800 people.

Not much is known about the vehicle except for that it will be electric and feature some sort of autonomous technologies. A fully autonomous vehicle isn't expected till later on. The report says Apple has set a 'target ship date for 2019.' Whether that means it will be launched or reaching a major milestone in 2019 is unknown.

Rumors about the Apple car have been flying around for a number of years. But this year has seen a number of people leaving Tesla and other jobs in the automotive industry to work for Apple, causing reports to intensify. Adding on this were reports from last month saying that officials from Apple met with officials from California’s Department of Motor Vehicles.

Source: Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)

View full article

FAILURE, We do not need Apple or Google building cars. Autonomous garbage. Leave them to their software. They lack passion for auto's and only see it as a tool to get from A to B.

My initial reaction: "Oh God." But if they're in it to innovate, I'm all for it. We have too many appliance builders, too many disposable car builders as it is today.

The thing is, though, the auto industry's probably the worst place for a company like that to get involved. The auto industry, despite the competition among the many manufacturers, simply evolves too slowly. And the field is pretty crowded as it is. (I expect new players will enter the picture in the next decade or so, but I also expect some serious consolidation). Plus, who's going to actually build their cars? Them? Or, as I fear, will they partner up with a Chinese manufacturer?

Now if they wanted to get into mass transit, I think that could be exciting. Of course that would be a dead end in this country... with this congress...

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I used Uber recently, and while discussing some of the future offerings/services that Uber will provide with the driver.....I realized that in the next few years, things are going to change faster than at any other time in history for the transportation industry.  I think Apple will be innovating like a mofo, and buying out the Uber's of the world, or at least combining services/technologies.  I don't know the whole impact of all this, few do, but I assume it will be crazy quick how fast people will be on board.  So in 5-10years, we won't even recognize the world we live in.

Edited by Wings4Life

apple will get the Chinese to build them, and the whole cars thing will become much more about 'technology' than they even have become today.  The machinery that propels the car will become afterthoughts, or.......full electric (which I don't mind its just that long range and 10 minute charging would be the way to go if thats the case)

Cars used to mean freedom, if the tech giants get on board they will become a source of monitored tyranny

• Agree 1

apple will get the Chinese to build them, and the whole cars thing will become much more about 'technology' than they even have become today.  The machinery that propels the car will become afterthoughts, or.......full electric (which I don't mind its just that long range and 10 minute charging would be the way to go if thats the case)

Cars used to mean freedom, if the tech giants get on board they will become a source of monitored tyranny

Another reason to hold onto your older cars to keep your freedom. No need for Big Brother monitoring your every move.

• Agree 1