Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Germany Could Ban 2.8 Million Diesel VWs From Its Roads

ccap41

"The German government has given VW until October 7 to present a viable solution to the "cheat code" diesel cars, or else the company's 2.8 million affected cars are banned from driving on German roads.

Germany is coming down hard on its biggest carmaker over the diesel-emissions crisis, giving Volkswagen just over a week to come up with a fix to a problem eight years in the making.

Yesterday, VW received a letter from Germany's Federal Motor Transport Authority, signed by transport minister Alexander Dobrindt, demanding that it deliver a binding plan and schedule to fix the 11 million "cheat code" diesel cars by October 7.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

If Volkswagen can't present a viable solution by then, according to Dobrindt, the German government would have no choice but to ban the 2.8 million affected cars from driving on that country's roads. Switzerland has already banned affected cars from being sold, new or used, and other countries continue to investigate their options; the U.S. arm of VW issued a stop-sale order on new diesel VWs last week. ..."

Now THAT is a headline if you ask me.

Sounds like the Lawyers are lining up to file lawsuits on the 11 million owners of Diesel VW/Audi/Porsche owners who just saw their car value plummet!  :nono:

I've already been seeing web ads for attorneys these past few days. 

Actually, so have I.

Sleazy scum in most cases, I would hope a judge would require this to all be wrapped up into a class action lawsuit rather than multiple little ones that will draw things out.

I feared this might happen...

Well...fear from where Im sittin at might not be the accurate terminilogy...

tumblr_md3s14icSr1r4g3xlo5_250.gif

That would be a more accurate expression...giddy...and now Im ECTASTIC!!! ELATED!!!

gus-malzahn-boom.gif

petec.gif

Oldsy...show some class!!!

3.gif?w=343&h=193

NEVER!!!

tumblr_inline_nkb0dzaDjc1r5s6wx.gif

I WANT MORE!!!  BLOOD!!!

tumblr_inline_njc0zi3bBW1t7oi6g.gif

Time for California...or the entire country......NORTH AMERICA....to do the same...BAN VW DIESELS!!!

• Disagree 1

OK...I called it...

Like I keep on harping.

Environmental laws are put into place for a reason...

When products dont comply...they dont comply...

Environmental disasters are a big deal...

Does this one qualify as a disaster?

Maybe the word disaster is a tad too harsh...but it aint too far away from it either...

I like this GIF tooo much...I gots to play it again, Sam...

BOOOM!!! The HAMMER DROPPED!!!

gus-malzahn-boom.gif

Not yet....but its close to happening...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Disagree 1

OK...I called it...

Like I keep on harping.

Maybe the word disaster is a tad too harsh...but it aint too far away from it either...

gus-malzahn-boom.gif

BUMP...JUST BECAUSE THE PERSON WHO DOWNVOTED COULD GET TO DOWN VOTE IT AGAIN!!!

It is really foolish to ban the cars from the roads. It would penalize the owners more then VW. It also would wreck havoc on the economy if people could not use their cars.

Lets face it while the exhaust is dirtier than it should be it is far from what we have had from millions of cars for nearly a century. The sun will not vanish and there will not be bodies in the streets if they continue to drive them till a retrofit is introduced.

I figure that this will take a computer flash and a retrofit of a Urea tank. To do this it will take months to make the parts and get the certified. Then to make them in numbers to fit the cars and the time to install them could be up to 2 years easy. Just look at the GM deal on the ignition as it tool about 2 years to get to this point and there are still many who have not had the repair done.

This is a deal where the German government and VW need to sit down and work out a plan that is realistic and acceptable. They too have politicians from the Green party that will grand stand this as we did on the GM ignition here.

While some politicians may want to grand stand they much remember if they do too much here by banning cars they may lose 2.8 million Votes too.

Anyone with common sense would understand this but we are dealing with government officials.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

It is really foolish to ban the cars from the roads. It would penalize the owners more then VW. It also would wreck havoc on the economy if people could not use their cars.Lets face it while the exhaust is dirtier than it should be it is far from what we have had from millions of cars for nearly a century. The sun will not vanish and there will not be bodies in the streets if they continue to drive them till a retrofit is introduced.I figure that this will take a computer flash and a retrofit of a Urea tank. To do this it will take months to make the parts and get the certified. Then to make them in numbers to fit the cars and the time to install them could be up to 2 years easy. Just look at the GM deal on the ignition as it tool about 2 years to get to this point and there are still many who have not had the repair done.This is a deal where the German government and VW need to sit down and work out a plan that is realistic and acceptable. They too have politicians from the Green party that will grand stand this as we did on the GM ignition here.While some politicians may want to grand stand they much remember if they do too much here by banning cars they may lose 2.8 million Votes too.Anyone with common sense would understand this but we are dealing with government officials.

I think all they need by the 7th is a plan though, to make sure things are heading in the correct direction. But I agree with everything you said.

Foolish you say???

The cars POLLUTE....

They DONT confirm with the environment...

What is it that you dont understand from all of this???

Blame the government all you want...IT IS VW and ITS CEOs that are KNOWINGLY POLLUTING!!! 

It aint the GUVMENT that circumvented the bloody cars to POLLUTE...

But I know...you told me that I was against the rich guy...

Yoy know what you are????

Yoy are a modern hippie....problem is that those 1960s hippies....they actually cared for the planet...YOU dont trust the government that YOU actually VOTED...

ITS A DEMOCRACY your government...

Excuse me...a republic as another similar type such as yourself once told me...

Hate the government dude...but for Christ's sake...lay blame where blame needs to be laid...

There are laws there for a bloody reason...

• Disagree 1

EPA laws are there for EVERYBODY to repesct and to COMPLY...

Who the hell is VW CEOs to circumvent them???

Bosch even WARNED them NOT to install those on the cars to be sold to the public...

Yeah I know...the guvment's fault because the drunk outside your street pissed on the sidewalk...and did not shot to maim him...

• Disagree 1

There is NO plan...either FIX them or GET THEM OFF THE BLOODY road...

remember this commercial?

Green police...

VW AG is a green company?

They LIED OUTRIGHT about how GREEN their cars really are...

THEY SPEW CRAP...THEY CIRCUMVENTED the software to show that the cars are LEGIT...but the cars aint LEGIT...

The people whose cars cant be driven?

Well they have LEGAL RECOURSE TO SUE VW AG!!!

I guess though...in Mr Capitalism's Hyper V6's world...corporations are FREE TO PHOQUE THE WORLD!!!

• Disagree 1

I wouldnt be sooooo hard on this...had VW AG NOT marketed to the buying public how green their cars are...

Germany....VW's HOME...decided that THIS is not acceptable...

You know how protective GERMANY is of their OWN industry?

Ask Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy...and even France...hell...ask ANY WW2 survivor...

• Disagree 1

OK...I called it...

Like I keep on harping.

gus-malzahn-boom.gif

And DOWNVOTE IT AGAIN!!!

OK...I called it...

Like I keep on harping.

gus-malzahn-boom.gif

And DOWNVOTE IT AGAIN!!!

And AGAIN

• Disagree 1

OK...I called it...

Like I keep on harping.

gus-malzahn-boom.gif

And DOWNVOTE IT AGAIN!!!

And DOWNVOTE IT AGAIN!!!

OK...I called it...

Like I keep on harping.

gus-malzahn-boom.gif

And AGAIN

• Disagree 1

Olds, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But if there's any angle the U.S. has on this, is that VW might get a deal, a 'plea bargain' of sorts.

Here's what I think:

-VW will eventually pay a fine somewhere within their reserved of $7.3B. I expect it to be about half of that, and that's the worldwide fine total

- Developed countries U.S. and Germany (which VW is moving production AWAY from or have small presence entirely) may get VW to cough up more investment dollars

-HyperV6's plausible timeline of solutions and similar circumstances is right on the money

Industry wide fallout is greater scrutiny with diesels but:

- Any industry from primary, manufacturing or service sectors with a heavy utilization of diesel; such as major construction, agriculture and courier, long haul trucking as well as conventional (in a sense) heavy duty trucks will get preferential treatment as to the emissions of their vehicles. Whether it be testing intervals or actual compliance with regulations or anything in the red tape.

- Passenger car diesels will see a setback in North America, but it's not unrecoverable. 

- VW will have to rethink their strategy of cost-cutting. Lets see here, 3 strikes in a row. Toyota suffered because of cost-cutting. GM suffered because of cost-cutting and here we go VW, fresh butchered meat, suffered because of cost-cutting. But again, it's not a completely bad situation.

Because everybody else pollutes...

We should just let VW CEOs oof the hook...and just leave the cars continuing to pollute...

Its OK...because...well...pollution is everywhere...no need to try to curb it...or to set rules...let it be...

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/pictures/5-recent-underreported-environmental-disasters-20140407

From the link above...

On March 22nd, almost 170,000 gallons of heavy marine fuel poured into Galveston Bay on the Texas coast after two commercial boats collided in the busy waterway. In Indiana, on March 24th, energy giant BP spilled as many as 1600 gallons of oil — a mix of domestic crude and tar sands oil from Canada — into Lake Michigan, the primary source of drinking water for Chicago's seven million residents. And on March 17th, 20,000 gallons of pipeline oil leaked into a nature preserve in southwest Ohio. Meanwhile, January's Elk River chemical spill, which contaminated the drinking water of 300,000 West Virginians, continues to frighten citizens, many of whom are still not drinking or bathing in it.

Pollution has long been an accepted cost of cheap energy production, particularly in states desperate for jobs. Big Energy is a powerful presence in Washington, working hard to block and gut environmental regulation and to defang the agencies tasked with protecting the country's natural resources. Weak or outdated laws governing toxic chemicals, and the absence of standardized oversight, tracking mechanisms or meaningful punishment for oil spills and leaks gives industry the leeway to keep polluting.

I guess...because THIS happens often....we should continue to keep a BLIND eye....no matter how big (like that Galveston Bay accident) or how small (how small you think it is....like in VeeDub's case)

Sure...the guvment is stupid to actually try to punish and to try to CORRECT a fault...

- The diesel cars from VW EXCEED the amounts TOLERABLE...

- Had the EPA knew how bad those amounts were back then....the CARS WERE HAVE NEVER BEEN SOLD and KEPT OFF THE STREETS...BACK THEN...

VW PROFITED and MADE MONEY from this FRAUD...

Yet Hyper V6 sees no problems with that...yet he sees the GERMAN government trying to get these pollutants off the streets as UNREASONABLE...

Yet...someone downvotes MY posts because there is a SMIDGEN of truth to my opinion....NOW you know why I went ballistic...

Its ANNOYING to have some TWIT downvote you because you state an opinion....MORE SO to than that....its as close to reality as it can get!!!

STOP LIVING IN A BUBBLE....accept the fact that VW did wrong...and I...am HAPPY that the HAMMER fell UPON them...

Rightfully so...Im happy...

VW LIED, FRAUDED the BUYING public...AND...CONTRIBUTES TO POLLUTION KNOWINGLY AND WILLFULLLY!!!

Yet some moron finds a problem with me pointing that out...

Sure...its over the top...

Kinda like how VW's solution to circumvent was over the top..;

VW TDi loyalists are defending their brand all over the place.  The TDi is a great engine.  If the Amarok were sold here with TDi and a manual transmission, in a regular or extended cab with 4WD at a competitive price, I would have bought one.  That is not to say I love my Colorado any less.  I cannot argue with 23.5-25 MPG out of a 305-hp gasoline V6 in a 4WD pickup truck.

If the majority of VW TDi owners love their cars and are not overly concerned by what has transpired, then they should be treated as the authority on what has happened.

All the while, what pollution controls are in effect to govern the aviation industry?

VW TDi loyalists are defending their brand all over the place.  The TDi is a great engine.  If the Amarok were sold here with TDi and a manual transmission, in a regular or extended cab with 4WD at a competitive price, I would have bought one.  That is not to say I love my Colorado any less.  I cannot argue with 23.5-25 MPG out of a 305-hp gasoline V6 in a 4WD pickup truck.

If the majority of VW TDi owners love their cars and are not overly concerned by what has transpired, then they should be treated as the authority on what has happened.

All the while, what pollution controls are in effect to govern the aviation industry?

I dont know...I sell hot dogs for a living...

let me ask my dad...he worked at Canadair for 40 years....ooopsies...he is dead....died in 2006...

Let me tell you about how Im supposed to run a restaurant in Quebec...

This is a link...

http://www.mapaq.gouv.qc.ca/fr/Transformation/Qualitedesaliments/Hygienesalubrite/Pages/Hygienesalubrite.aspx

I hope you read French...

I have to comply with these rules...if not...they close me down...

Well I took two years of high school French, but I am not sure I could get the gist of your link there.

So you're saying there are no current pollution controls governing the aviation industry?

If that is what High School French in America leads you to believe...

Edited by oldshurst442

PS...

you sarcasm is not lost on me..

Except you are not that wise...

Google is your friend...

The thing is...the aircraft industry is not what we are talking about here...

But...lets just say that the standards for a Boeing 777 Dreamliner are lower...just because the aircraft industry is allowed to pollute...tht does NOT excuse VW to pollute...

If you are heading in that direction...its a one way street to a cul-de-sac...

Use google translate on the last part...

I feared this might happen...

Well...fear from where Im sittin at might not be the accurate terminilogy...

tumblr_md3s14icSr1r4g3xlo5_250.gif

That would be a more accurate expression...giddy...and now Im ECTASTIC!!! ELATED!!!

gus-malzahn-boom.gif

petec.gif

Oldsy...show some class!!!

3.gif?w=343&h=193

NEVER!!!

tumblr_inline_nkb0dzaDjc1r5s6wx.gif

I WANT MORE!!!  BLOOD!!!

tumblr_inline_njc0zi3bBW1t7oi6g.gif

Time for California...or the entire country......NORTH AMERICA....to do the same...BAN VW DIESELS!!!

Downvote this again

OK...I called it...

Like I keep on harping.

gus-malzahn-boom.gif

and again

There is NO plan...either FIX them or GET THEM OFF THE BLOODY road...

remember this commercial?

Green police...

VW AG is a green company?

They LIED OUTRIGHT about how GREEN their cars really are...

THEY SPEW CRAP...THEY CIRCUMVENTED the software to show that the cars are LEGIT...but the cars aint LEGIT...

The people whose cars cant be driven?

Well they have LEGAL RECOURSE TO SUE VW AG!!!

I guess though...in Mr Capitalism's Hyper V6's world...corporations are FREE TO PHOQUE THE WORLD!!!

Downvote this too again and again

Edited by oldshurst442

That goes to show me how childish the guy(s) are being with this downvote...

REALITY has not sank in to you...

Its OK....DOWNVOTE those POSTS until I am at NEGATIVE LEVELS!!!!

LIKE I SAID...

STOMP YOUR FEET IN PROTEST because IM POINTING OUT THAT VW AG DIESEL CARS WILL BE OFF THE ROAD BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT LEGAL TO BE ON THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!~

DOWNVOTE THIS TOO!!!

BOOM!!!

gus-malzahn-boom.gif

GERMANY DROPS THE BAN HAMMER!!!

OTHERS TO FOLLOW SUIT!!!

Edited by oldshurst442

Yes I know...

Other industries pollute....so lets give free reign for VW AG to lie, cheat, fraud, and pollute...

Timely fashion to get these cars off the road?

THEY SHOULDNT BE ON THE ROAD TO BEGIN WITH!!!

THAT is a hard concept for some to accept...

DOWNVOTE AWAY!!!

• Agree 2

It is really foolish to ban the cars from the roads. It would penalize the owners more then VW. It also would wreck havoc on the economy if people could not use their cars.

I would hurt VW long term.... imagine if 2.8 million Germans could suddenly not drive their cars for 3 to 6 months while VW issues a fix.... do you think they would buy another?  Resale value would be destroyed.

This is the German government forcing VW's hand... and it is an effective threat I think.

• Agree 2

I would hurt VW long term.... imagine if 2.8 million Germans could suddenly not drive their cars for 3 to 6 months while VW issues a fix.... do you think they would buy another?  Resale value would be destroyed.

This is the German government forcing VW's hand... and it is an effective threat I think.

I really do not believe they need to apply much more pressure. They know they are globally in trouble PR wise and they are already working on a fix. They have already forced people out and I suspect more will fall.

It will take some time to make the parts. I am sure the agencies of many countries will require them to recertify the cars and changes made. And then they have to get the parts made and then the customers to the dealers. There is no fast track to this and you can apply all the pressure in the world but it will take 2 years if it goes fast to fix a majority.

Then they will have to eat the cost of parts, labor, fines, recertification, legal fees and many other things. This will be very expensive in the end. I bet it tops 25-35 billion Dollars in the end minimum.

It will for sure hurt VW either way. But if the government stops me from driving my car for no real logical reason till a fix is approved that is a sure way not to be reelected.

Lets face it even with the failing readings these engines are cleaner than the diesels of the last 100 years. People are not falling over in the streets and what the media fails to report is many of the 11,000 that are claimed to be victims already smoked themselves into respiratory failure before they were affected by the fumes. You would have to almost live in a truck stop with running trucks for years to do that much damage.

Lets face it the people most exposed to Diesel fumes are Farmers with a stack in the face as well heavy equipment workers. You do not see them dropping like flies.

This EPA stuff is as much agenda as it is to clean the environment. It is brought to you buy the same people who are promoting the carbon exchange. There is big major profits in environmentalism.

• Agree 1

I really do not believe they need to apply much more pressure. They know they are globally in trouble PR wise and they are already working on a fix. They have already forced people out and I suspect more will fall.

It will take some time to make the parts. I am sure the agencies of many countries will require them to recertify the cars and changes made. And then they have to get the parts made and then the customers to the dealers. There is no fast track to this and you can apply all the pressure in the world but it will take 2 years if it goes fast to fix a majority.

Then they will have to eat the cost of parts, labor, fines, recertification, legal fees and many other things. This will be very expensive in the end. I bet it tops 25-35 billion Dollars in the end minimum.

It will for sure hurt VW either way. But if the government stops me from driving my car for no real logical reason till a fix is approved that is a sure way not to be reelected.

Keep in mind that the deadline is only for VW to submit the plan, not necessarily to have the plan implemented. 

Lets face it even with the failing readings these engines are cleaner than the diesels of the last 100 years. People are not falling over in the streets and what the media fails to report is many of the 11,000 that are claimed to be victims already smoked themselves into respiratory failure before they were affected by the fumes. You would have to almost live in a truck stop with running trucks for years to do that much damage.

Lets face it the people most exposed to Diesel fumes are Farmers with a stack in the face as well heavy equipment workers. You do not see them dropping like flies.

This EPA stuff is as much agenda as it is to clean the environment. It is brought to you buy the same people who are promoting the carbon exchange. There is big major profits in environmentalism.

YOU are putting the BLAME on the WRONG entity...

Dude....its pollution...

The cars are not LEGAL...

I dont give two shytes if its the same people that are pushing carbon taxes...

Yoy dont want to re-elect the officials that are ushing for VW to clean up the mess...

Again...YOU are blaming the WRONG people...

VW AG  are the ones that sold YOU the ILLEGAL car...

Again...who gives two shytes what the media is pushing for???!!!

The cars as is ....would NOT have been sold if the cars originally FAILED the EPA emissions tests...

I get it...YOU are stuck with NO vehicle to drive and out thousands of dollars...

VW AG is the one to blame...

GREEDY CEOs that run/ran VW AG...

You live in America...the  land of lawsuits...

In the ONE time that a collection of lawsuits SHOULD be had against a corporation its THIS one...

Nothing FRIVOLOUS about that...

Do I have to re-link the VW commercials again???!!!

You...to save face even...dont even want to admit the cancerous shyte box you are driving is an ILLEGAL polltun' machine!!!

And do you know why Im being aggressive with you?

Its because YOU are an intelligent guy...yet...here you are...you are even blaming YOUR government for this mess...and you know what?

ITS THE GERMAN GOVERNMENT THAT MAY BE FORCING THE VW DIESELS OFF THE ROAD IN....GERMANY!!! NOT IN THE USA....SO....WHY ARE YOU EVEN MENTIONING YOUR GOVERNMENT IN THIS???!!!

Dont tell me you are yet another American who DOES NOT TRUST  their own DEMOCRATIC ELECTED Government...Every 4 years you guys get to elect YOUR leaders...unless of course the USA is in some sort of dictatorship that I dont know about...

Besides all that...you guys have the RIGHT to bear arms...

The thing is...you could talk to your fellow congressman to tell him how you fell about VW and its policies regarding this mess!!!

GEE WEEZ!!!

Edited by oldshurst442

Im sorry guys...

But the thing is...I dont like to hear stupid stuff like that...its one thing to have an opinion...its another to try to justify WRONG DOINGS because of a personal agenda...

I get it...you will be SEVERELY inconvenienced by this...BE ANGRY at VW AG...

IM SEVERELY ANGERED BY VW AG...and I DONT EVEN OWN A VW AG CAR!!!

OK...I never have, nor will I ever give a VW AG car a chance to own...I also have got a personal agenda going on...

But can you blame me?

I showed you pics of why in my case...

60-70-80-100-1000 years will go by before I forgive and forget...

Why do you own a diesel?

Gas mileage?

And now that VW will have to fix this mess...will you get the same gas mileage as promised?

If not...with all those green commercials...isnt that FALSE ADVERTISEMENT when the company had KNOWELDGE that that those promises were false???!!!

Isnt THAT also a crime as by U.S. consumer product laws?

Or do we ignore that too because YOU might be inconvenienced???!!!

Edited by oldshurst442

Sorry El K. Did not mean to forget you.

Im high on emotion sometimes.

And this topic...apparently touched my heart...

And it aint because of WW2....I was just trolling with that. :D   and maybe this emoticon too... :P

What got my goat with this mess....was the blatant corporate greed...the TV commercials...the lies.

That and I hate when somebody downvotes  without explanations! :D

Plus...being accused that Im against capitalists making money...

Ill admit...I like socialism...not every aspect of it, but there are MANY socialist programs that I want to be part of my country.

But to be accused of hating the rich?

Now...I aint rich, by MY definition of being stinkin' rich, but Im doing pretty good for myself if I may say so.

To say that I hate the rich....why on earth would I have invested in a restaurant chasing that stupid American Dream for the last 17 years of my life?

Just to hate myself in the end?

Would THAT be narcissism?

That would be the opposite, right?

Maybe that is being a neurotic self loathing dude...But I aint Jewish...Im Greek...hence the high on emotion stuff... :scratchchin: 

To be clear, VW did this to save $329 per car...so yes, it was about corporate greed. In VW's case they are also whores to market share.

I agree with what Drew has posted here and I believe most of us all agree this is about corporate greed.

11 million auto's with a $329.00 savings equals $3,619,000,000 savings 3.6 billion folks.

This then ended up in the Fired CEO getting a 41% pay raise in 2013 at that time. http://www.autospies.com/news/VW-CEO-Receives-41-Pay-Raise-62299/

His pay was $12 million in 2011, doubled in 2012 to $23 million and then again 41% raise in 2013. http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.php?2241-VW-group-has-record-year-so-VW-CEO-doubles-his-salary-to-23-million

So yea this is about Corporate Greed and the US as well as other countries should follow Germany in forcing them to have a plan or ban their Diesels from the road and from being able to be sold.

To be clear, VW did this to save $329 per car...so yes, it was about corporate greed. In VW's case they are also whores to market share.

I agree with what Drew has posted here and I believe most of us all agree this is about corporate greed.

11 million auto's with a $329.00 savings equals $3,619,000,000 savings 3.6 billion folks.

This then ended up in the Fired CEO getting a 41% pay raise in 2013 at that time. http://www.autospies.com/news/VW-CEO-Receives-41-Pay-Raise-62299/

His pay was $12 million in 2011, doubled in 2012 to $23 million and then again 41% raise in 2013. http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.php?2241-VW-group-has-record-year-so-VW-CEO-doubles-his-salary-to-23-million

So yea this is about Corporate Greed and the US as well as other countries should follow Germany in forcing them to have a plan or ban their Diesels from the road and from being able to be sold.

Banning them from our roads will leave a seriously NASTY taste in nearly everybody who ones one of these. If they get banned from driving their VW do you think any of them will walk back into a VW dealer? I know I wouldn't. Screw that. Too many other companies making very high quality products to go back to a company who just left me stranded with a worthless pile in my driveway.

Banning them from our roads will leave a seriously NASTY taste in nearly everybody who ones one of these. If they get banned from driving their VW do you think any of them will walk back into a VW dealer? I know I wouldn't. Screw that. Too many other companies making very high quality products to go back to a company who just left me stranded with a worthless pile in my driveway.

We have seen how slow FCA is to take care of their own recalls, worst repair rate of any company. Examples need to be made and to keep companies transparent and to have them follow through, I think this threat needs to be there to make them move forward with plans. Giving a company 90 days to come up with a solution or their product has to be taken off the streets is more than enough time to figure out what they need to do. I suspect VW knew the solution all along but the billions it saved giving the CEO huge raises and bonuses made the greed of a few overcome the health of all.

Thinking about this Bosch knew about this for years and never said anything, I have to think they also got paid off to not come clean with this and should be investigated to better understand what they knew of VW doing this.

• Agree 1

I am tired of the word cooperate greed.

This too often leads to people thinking it is only just about the money which is only part true when there are so many other factors involved.

Too often it is the pressures with in a company from investors, The pressures from the government regulations to meet, the expectations of the customers while meeting the other issues from the government and investors. Running a company is tough and making products in this climate is even more difficult. I expect we will see even more desperate moves as the gas vehicles take a MPG hit in 2025-and later.

Also these companies are so large that those in the middle get squeezed and pressured and often do things they should not do. too often we never hear the full story.

Case in point. While this one was not anything illegal it shows the thinking of people in the middle at GM under the old culture.

In Lutz one book he had a new Impala coming and he was meeting with the designer. The car had no chrome around the windows. He asked the designer that would it not look better with the chrome and the designer said yes. Then he ask was asked why he did not put it on. Well the reply was I would get in major trouble for going over budget. Well Lutz asked would it not sell better with the chrome and the designer said yes. Lutz said what would you rather get in trouble for selling a car a little over budget that had great sales or a car the failed in the market and had remained in budget?

The logic inside some of these companies is very damaged and some very simple things do not get done because of some people making some very poor choices.

While I am not going to say profit was not the motive but too often if a program is failing or has a major problem sometimes people will try to cover it over to make it go away for now hoping no one is the wiser. Corporate policy too often can get results they never intended.

While $387 sounds like a lot of money over millions of cars anyone with a clear mind generally could not think this would go forever unnoticed. The Germans are not that dumb.

I just believe like in the GM case there is much more to this than we will ever know and the most obvious things are not always the reasons they happened.

The media and the far and I mean the Bernie Sanders left want to push the corporate greed thing and while it may be true in some cases just corrupt culture of blame and expectations make people to things just to keep their job. The redistribution people are now even pushing that poor people die in car crashed more often. While true you really need to dig into the details to understand.

Sad to say but we may never hear the truth to this and if we did we would never fully understand why someone would be so stupid thinking it would go unnoticed for ever.

• Agree 1

Corporate greed.

Its as simple as that.

When business ethics go out the window to circumvent laws that are in place to minimize environmental impacts...corporate greed is your answer.

Sad to say but we may never hear the truth to this and if we did we would never fully understand why someone would be so stupid thinking it would go unnoticed for ever.

You understand it...but dont call it as it is....call a spade a spade....

You actually do say that the person(s) involved would be so stupid in thinking the charade would go unnoticed forever.

Too often it is the pressures with in a company from investors

THAT statement wreaks of only one excuse....CORPORATE GREED...

The pressures from the government regulations to meet

Yup...and there is a reason for the government that implements these regs....to minimize environmental impacts...

And when VW engineers CANNOT meet those regs...and resort to circumventing laws in order to sell their products...CORPORATE GREED is YOUR ANSWER...

the expectations of the customers while meeting the other issues from the government and investors.

Yup...and if VW cannot meet those needs and resorts to lying to their customers about how they do meet those needs with marketing campaigns and TV commercials tooting how VW's clean diesels are...clean....when in reality they are not...making those claims as false advertisement

CORPORATE GREED is YOUR ANSWER...

Then you go on to talk about GM...

Stick to VW as GM's many problems are different than VW's...

VW has a war chest of money stashed to the tune of 30 billion or something like that...

When VW got caught...VW beancounters right away said that they will put 7-8 billion on the side to take care of the problem...

If that does not sound like a guilty corporation full of greed...I dont know what does...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1