Sales: Sales Figure Ticker - September 2015

Ccap: Once again, read the article.

C/D have already commented on both the slower steering and more conservative tires on the GT350 compared to, say, the outgoing Z/28. So, if you have a 3700 pound car that has real-world tires, it ain't gonna be a Z/28 killer, though it'll still probably be a nice track machine. More likely it'll be a ZL1-focused style of performance, with a peakier engine.

And, as has already been pointed out, it'll cost a lot more.

To keep this sales-focused: pumping up prices without pumping up performance is probably not going to work, if Mopar and GM are any examples to go by.

yeah, strange how the topic switched to 1/4 mile times.

And price. Don't forget the PRICE DIFFERENCE.

It's a holistic thing, is what I'm saying. Especially as it pertains to sales.

Edited by El Kabong

Eh. All I know is that once innovation happens in a segment, the incumbent needs to scramble to catch up. So, as I said, I can live with a once in a blue moon sales spurt.

Why are you feeding him (as evidenced by his lack of knowledge as to why production stopped on the previous F bodies in the first place)?

I'm just putting up facts and third-party articles, as I usually do to back up my points. The folks in charge know what's what.

The points I brought up about the Shelby's projected performance numbers were an illustration of how you need to improve all aspects of a car before you can jack prices and keep sales strong. I used Mopar as an example

of how to do it right, and I expect that I may be able to use GM in a few day's time.

Even if they run identical lap times on every track they get run on I don't think a single sole will worry about GT350 sales.

But elsewhere you were the guy complaining about the Camaro being overpriced for the driveline it offers. Do you really think that if the Shelby cannot decisively put a run-of-the-mill SS back on the truck that people will overlook it?

And again, for possibly as much as an extra TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS?

Sorry, man. That dog don't hunt.

Yes, I still feel that a BASE Camaro SS starting north of 37,000 is high.

In a straight line? or on a track, again? Because, I've mentioned this before, as cars get quicker and quicker one tenth of a second becomes a larger deal than it was 10 years ago. Cars can only accelerate to 60mph so fast(theoretically lets just say 1 second is the fastest POSSIBLE) so as they are slowly approaching that golden 1 second mark 0.1 is a larger and larger percentage of time. 0.1 for a car that goes to 60mph in 15 seconds is nothing. 0.6% of time. 0.1 off of a 4 second 60mph sprint is 2.5% of the time shed.  Does this make sense where I'm going with this?  It means that a 0.1 second win is more of an engineering feat today than that same victory 10 ears ago. So if it wins by 0.1 while a VERY marginal number so us average drivers it is actually a decent gap as cars are progressing and becoming quicker and quicker. 

Is 0.2 or 0.3 of a second worth 12k? Not to me. But let's flip that and say is 0.1 worth the gap from a Mustang GT to a Camaro SS? Heck, what's the Z/28 sprint to 60mph in? MT tested at 4.0 and 12.3 through the 1/4(You were ONLY looking at straight line numbers - but that car isn't about straight line speed, like the GT350). So let's look at those numbers again and put them into perspective.. Dollar:Performance:Want ratio and you can make an argument for all of them. I just think it is unnesessary to be as cocky as you are about two cars in which we don't have numbers on yet.

• Agree 1

Even if they run identical lap times on every track they get run on I don't think a single sole will worry about GT350 sales.

But elsewhere you were the guy complaining about the Camaro being overpriced for the driveline it offers. Do you really think that if the Shelby cannot decisively put a run-of-the-mill SS back on the truck that people will overlook it?

In a straight line? or on a track, again? Because, I've mentioned this before, as cars get quicker and quicker one tenth of a second becomes a larger deal than it was 10 years ago. Cars can only accelerate to 60mph so fast(theoretically lets just say 1 second is the fastest POSSIBLE) so as they are slowly approaching that golden 1 second mark 0.1 is a larger and larger percentage of time. 0.1 for a car that goes to 60mph in 15 seconds is nothing. 0.6% of time. 0.1 off of a 4 second 60mph sprint is 2.5% of the time shed.  Does this make sense where I'm going with this?  It means that a 0.1 second win is more of an engineering feat today than that same victory 10 ears ago. So if it wins by 0.1 while a VERY marginal number so us average drivers it is actually a decent gap as cars are progressing and becoming quicker and quicker. 

Is 0.2 or 0.3 of a second worth 12k? Not to me. But let's flip that and say is 0.1 worth the gap from a Mustang GT to a Camaro SS? Heck, what's the Z/28 sprint to 60mph in? MT tested at 4.0 and 12.3 through the 1/4(You were ONLY looking at straight line numbers - but that car isn't about straight line speed, like the GT350). So let's look at those numbers again and put them into perspective.. Dollar:Performance:Want ratio and you can make an argument for all of them. I just think it is unnesessary to be as cocky as you are about two cars in which we don't have numbers on yet.

I have yet to see a new 5.0 GT break 4.4 to 60. If you can find a credible link by all means post it.

If the new SS even matches (instead of exceeds) GM's numbers, you're looking at 4/10 of a second to 60 alone. And in the real world, most of these cars will be on the high end of the price spectrum.

In reality, the 5.0 would exist in a performance no man's-land between the V6 and V8 Chevies, and the small and big Hemis. If they price it out low, it'll probably move out of showrooms. But the bang for the buck is going to be critical.

Ccap: Once again, read the article.

C/D have already commented on both the slower steering and more conservative tires on the GT350 compared to, say, the outgoing Z/28. So, if you have a 3700 pound car that has real-world tires, it ain't gonna be a Z/28 killer, though it'll still probably be a nice track machine. More likely it'll be a ZL1-focused style of performance, with a peakier engine.

And, as has already been pointed out, it'll cost a lot more.

To keep this sales-focused: pumping up prices without pumping up performance is probably not going to work, if Mopar and GM are any examples to go by.

So... You're saying the regular GT is performing where the GT350 will be? If you think that then yes, it's a huge waste of money. But if you realize the performance gains over the GT then you'll see where the dollars are coming from.

They pumped up the performance from GT to GT350 and price also went up. Factual numbers? None yet. But that goes for you as well. The ones you got as "estimates".

• Agree 1

No, I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying that Ford's new 5.0 only puts out numbers as good as the old one, although no doubt it does so in a much more refined manner. And if the V8 feel is the main thrust of what you're looking for then by all means buy a basic one for a lower price than a 37-large SS. In theory you will be able to.

In reality, we have already seen C/D drive an ECOBOOST Mustang that went for over 42 grand. Which tells me that most sales of these cars will be on the high end of the scale. It may also explain a bit of the Shelby's pricing strategy too, because I'm guessing re-engineering your chassis and drivetrain one model year in ain't cheap.

Edited by El Kabong

Eh. All I know is that once innovation happens in a segment, the incumbent needs to scramble to catch up. So, as I said, I can live with a once in a blue moon sales spurt.

Why are you feeding him (as evidenced by his lack of knowledge as to why production stopped on the previous F bodies in the first place)?

I'm just putting up facts and third-party articles, as I usually do to back up my points. The folks in charge know what's what.

The points I brought up about the Shelby's projected performance numbers were an illustration of how you need to improve all aspects of a car before you can jack prices and keep sales strong. I used Mopar as an example

of how to do it right, and I expect that I may be able to use GM in a few day's time.

Oh I'm not debating the facts you are presenting. It's who you are presenting them to when you know where this will end up. Just an observation.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I have yet to see a new 5.0 GT break 4.4 to 60. If you can find a credible link by all means post it.

If the new SS even matches (instead of exceeds) GM's numbers, you're looking at 4/10 of a second to 60 alone. And in the real world, most of these cars will be on the high end of the price spectrum.

In reality, the 5.0 would exist in a performance no man's-land between the V6 and V8 Chevies, and the small and big Hemis. If they price it out low, it'll probably move out of showrooms. But the bang for the buck is going to be critical.

So you didn't really read anything I wrote or just ignored most of it..

435hp and 455hp are awfully close to say one is in no man's land.

I won't blame the engine for the speed deficite as much as the now dated trans.. I would assume it is the same from 2011 and the auto..well we know it's still the same damn 6spd from probably the '03-'04 Cobras(exaggerating but you know what I'm getting at). Chevy is working with what sounds like a great 8spd. I don't think the engine in the GT is the weak link if you're wanting to point to one.

I said PERFORMANCE no-man's land, not NUMBERS. Who cares about your engine if your chassis, transmissions, and brakes aren't up to snuff?

4.4 to 60 is probably not gonna cut it against the Alpha, especially at similar price points. This holds true for the track and the showroom.

Edited by El Kabong

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Topic please, stop inciting. 

I'm outie on this one. Bouncing around from performance to price to engines to value per tenth to 60mph is absurd.

'Bong: The Camaro is the greatest car ever created. That's all you're looking to hear so there it is. Don't say I've never said it. ;)

The SS is an awesome performance bargain that deserves to sell well. Ford will probably have nothing that matches it's combination of performance and price.

I am sorry that you cannot see this, but facts are facts. I'm not writing any of these articles, nor am I pulling these numbers outs thin air.

All good, solid, third-party stuff.

Lack of production could have a definite impact on sales. Sounds topical to me. Edited by El Kabong
  • Agree 1

Don't have to incite. You're doing a fine job of that yourself. Carry on.

• Agree 1

Fact is while the big bump in Mustang sales is a boon for Ford, it is not surprising when you consider,

A.) It is a brand new model after ten years of the basically the same car. 

B.) It's biggest competition, the Camaro, is on the way out with capacity cut months ago (hence their lower sales numbers). It's the same thing the Mustang went through at this time last year (under 4,000 sold in 9/14 I believe).

C.) Once the new Camaro is out, then we see more competitive numbers come into play. The last six months mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Just thinking out loud here to justify my previous remark on sales numbers, but,

SS is out in 1st Qtr of 2016.  So that means new camaro sales will not be enough to surpass Mustang, due to slow build up of camaro trim models.

So Mustang should easily top camaro the rest of this year, which means 13-14 months of continued sales domination.

I think when SS drops, it will be a couple months before supply builds, so lets say mid spring is when SS volumes will make a big impact on sales.

Yeah, it will get interesting, for sure.  But I honestly don't see camaro taking monthly sales crowns before spring, and I also doubt that it can accumulate into a yearly sales crown next year as well.

But after that, I don't know how having so many performance cars under one Ford umbrella will impact Mustang sales, could bolster it, but of course, an RS sitting in the showroom is a compelling vehicle as well.  So Mustang sales will probably struggle in the long run.  But total performance sales should be brisk.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

So now why you know why we're not all gaga over Mustang sales.

Glad we had this little talk

Don't really know what that means.

Edited by Wings4Life

Meh. Let's not rehash things. He came around on the Mustang sales, right? Case closed.

But the small trucks really are the big sales success story for this year IMO. Nearly 120,000 units sold with no noticeable impact on half-ton sales is astonishing.

So now why you know why we're not all gaga over Mustang sales.

Glad we had this little talk

Don't really know what that means.

Really? After the last two pages of sales talk between you two, you don't know?

Wow

No sorry, I don't speak troll.

Especially bad grammar troll.

I am sure you know what I mean ;)

Stick to the topic.

So evidently Wings clever little response got deleted for obvious trolling and a personal attack but not before it got quoted by Bong. Thanks Bong. He has, once again, shown his true colors.

Can't click on the right links or click on the right voting options.

And it's my grammar that is the issue.

Back to the topic...

So evidently Wings clever little response got deleted for obvious trolling and a personal attack but not before it got quoted by Bong. Thanks Bong. He has, once again, shown his true colors.

Back to the topic...

Well, we can only be online and be in a capacity to moderate at certain times of the day. There's going to be some blind spots in between rotation, but know that your patience will be of great virtue. 

Back to the topic...

Well, we can only be online and be in a capacity to moderate at certain times of the day. There's going to be some blind spots in between rotation, but know that your patience will be of great virtue. 

No worries on my end.

Chillin' like a villain here :)

On a sadder note, poor sales may be killing the Viper in a year or two.

Viper was and still is a sharp looking auto, but the beast is outclassed by superior auto's like the corvette.

Chillin' like a villain here :)

On a sadder note, poor sales may be killing the Viper in a year or two.

Yeah, I saw that too.

I'm actually not sad about that anymore. When it first left us I was..but I honestly just don't care about the Viper anymore. At that price point there are just so many better choices out there that the Viper wouldn't even cross my mind if I was 100k car shopping. If it was priced closer to a regular Stingray(and went up from there) I think it would appeal more to me. At 100k though.. Not as if I would buy it if it were 60k but it just seems more like a 60-100k car(like the Vette) rather than a 90-120k car. Other than the heating issue the Vette has been plagued with what does the Viper do better than it? Make a few hot laps behind the wheel of a professional driver(which Randy Pobst doesn't even like)? That's about it and even then the Z06 would be on it's rear bumper. Interiors? Hands down Vette. I just don't know why anybody would buy a Viper in 2015 unless the sole reason was to have something somebody else doesn't have.

Oh I'm not debating the facts you are presenting. It's who you are presenting them to when you know where this will end up. Just an observation.

Topic please. And that thread topic is SALES

Nice work Ford! A 23% increase is remarkable!

Edited by Burnt Valve LS7
  • Disagree 2

Almost 100k Mustangs YTD!

Averaging close to 10k a month must please Ford.

Well, if they've sold 96,225 through September that's only 9 months. 10,691 averave per month. I wouldn't expect November or December to maintain those high of sales though. Tough to sell RWD sports cars anywhere near north in the US when there's frost on the ground and knowing snow will be here soon, if it already isn't.

Well, if they've sold 96,225 through September that's only 9 months. 10,691 averave per month. I wouldn't expect November or December to maintain those high of sales though. Tough to sell RWD sports cars anywhere near north in the US when there's frost on the ground and knowing snow will be here soon, if it already isn't.

My bad. I apologize. I was thinking Oct. Hence 96,000/10months  which brought me to my incorrect tally.

I'm even more impressed now!

My bad. I apologize. I was thinking Oct. Hence 96,000/10months  which brought me to my incorrect tally.

I'm even more impressed now!

At first glance I did the same thing. Then when I went to GoodCarBadCar.com to look up the actual number it clicked that it was a total through Sept..obviously not October..

5 pages to this thread, and not ONCE do you discuss Septembers Sales.

On the PREVIOUS PAGE.

"Fact is while the big bump in Mustang sales is a boon for Ford, it is not surprising when you consider,

B.) It's biggest competition, the Camaro, is on the way out with capacity cut months ago (hence their lower sales numbers). It's the same thing the Mustang went through at this time last year (under 4,000 sold in 9/14 I believe).

C.) Once the new Camaro is out, then we see more competitive numbers come into play. The last six months mean very little in the grand scheme of things."

Like I said, a day late and a dollar short. I anxiously await your apology for being ignorant to this fact.

Edit (after the down vote)--Nice. I give you the facts after you accused me of not doing so and then you down vote that very fact. Pathetic LS7.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

On the PREVIOUS PAGE.

"Fact is while the big bump in Mustang sales is a boon for Ford, it is not surprising when you consider,

C.) Once the new Camaro is out, then we see more competitive numbers come into play. The last six months mean very little in the grand scheme of things."

Like I said, a day late and a dollar short. I anxiously await your apology for being ignorant to this fact.

Edit (after the down vote)--Nice. I give you the facts after you accused me of not doing so and then you down vote that very fact. Pathetic LS7.

I apologize.

1 out of your 10 or so posts you actually did discuss the thread topic - after you were asked to get on topic.

On the PREVIOUS PAGE.

I apologize.

1 out of your 10 or so posts you actually did discuss the thread topic - after you were asked to get on topic.

That request to get back on topic was by a troll who also has trouble getting back on topic on top of the fact that he followed that with a personal attack that was deleted by a mod (but not before it was quoted by Bong). Oh, and nice apology to go with the passive aggressive remark (never mind the fact that I only made TWO damn posts before the post in question, not ten as you mistakenly claim). Again, pathetic.

Anyways, back on topic...

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Since the Focus ST did better than Ford anticipated, I'm interested in how the Focus RS is gong to sell.

The more I read about that car, the more I'm thinking Hmmmmm, maybe my next ride.

I read somewhere today there have already been 1500 preorders in the UK for it.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/10/ford-focus-rs-orders-reach-1-500-mark-in-the-uk.html

Edited by ccap41

The Focus ST will be a sure fire hit but I wonder if it doesn't risk stepping on the Mustangs toes a bit with that kind of performance. Also, GM needs to get off their butts and offer some competition for the hi-po compact crowd.

Edited by surreal1272

Since the Focus ST did better than Ford anticipated, I'm interested in how the Focus RS is gong to sell.

The more I read about that car, the more I'm thinking Hmmmmm, maybe my next ride.

I read somewhere today there have already been 1500 preorders in the UK for it.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/10/ford-focus-rs-orders-reach-1-500-mark-in-the-uk.html

Wow. 1500 pre orders. Nice. 

So if FCA is expecting to make a difference then they need to get working smarter as well as harder. The F side of this group is sucking big time! Alfa is NOT going to make their sales target of 160,000 auto's based on the pathetic sales listed so far. Sergio blaming the economy should not save his sorry pathetic ass from being fired.Take the money from C,D,J, & R and reinvest in those brands only. Kill off Alfa as it should have never been done in the first place.

Alfa Romeo - N/A (54 Vehicles Sold This Month, 197 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

Chrysler - Down 5% (27,250 Vehicles Sold This Month, 248,800 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
Dodge - Up 3% (45,170 Vehicles Sold This Month, 382,347 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
Fiat - Up 1% (3,398 Vehicles Sold This Month, 31,819 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
Jeep - Up 40% (77,201 Vehicles Sold This Month, 632,910 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)
Maserati - Down 33.8% (872 Vehicles Sold This Month, 8,378 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

Ram - Up 4% (39,946 Vehicles Sold This Month, 358,488 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

For those that say the Alfa platform will allow better other auto's under other names. BS I call you out. They could have used that platform at Maserati and reproduced it out to the others.

So if FCA is expecting to make a difference then they need to get working smarter as well as harder. The F side of this group is sucking big time! Alfa is NOT going to make their sales target of 160,000 auto's based on the pathetic sales listed so far. Sergio blaming the economy should not save his sorry pathetic ass from being fired.Take the money from C,D,J, & R and reinvest in those brands only. Kill off Alfa as it should have never been done in the first place.

Alfa Romeo - N/A (54 Vehicles Sold This Month, 197 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

Chrysler - Down 5% (27,250 Vehicles Sold This Month, 248,800 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

Dodge - Up 3% (45,170 Vehicles Sold This Month, 382,347 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

Fiat - Up 1% (3,398 Vehicles Sold This Month, 31,819 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

Jeep - Up 40% (77,201 Vehicles Sold This Month, 632,910 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

Maserati - Down 33.8% (872 Vehicles Sold This Month, 8,378 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

Ram - Up 4% (39,946 Vehicles Sold This Month, 358,488 Vehicles Sold So Far This Year)

For those that say the Alfa platform will allow better other auto's under other names. BS I call you out. They could have used that platform at Maserati and reproduced it out to the others.

Edited by Drew Dowdell
  • Disagree 1