2016 Car, Truck, and SUV of the Year Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which car did you feel deserved to win COTY?

• 2016 Audi TT
    • 2016 BMW 7 Series
    • 2016 Chevrolet Camaro
    • 2016 Honda Civic
    • 2016 Mazda Miata
    • 2016 Mercedes-AMG GT S
    • 2016 Toyota Mirai
  2. 2. Which truck do you feel deserved to win TOTY?

• 2016 Chevrolet Colorado
    • 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    • 2016 GMC Canyon
    • 2016 GMC Sierra 1500
    • 2016 Nissan Titan XD
    • 2016 Toyota Tacoma
  3. 3. Which SUV do you feel deserved to win SUVOTY?

• 2016 Honda Pilot
    • 2016 Lincoln MKX
    • 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class
    • 2016 Nissan Murano
    • 2016 Volvo XC90

Adam Carolla bombed and the audience was barely present all night.

Wtf was up with GM not accepting the Colorado award on stage? I thought that was pretty crappy of them. It's an award show, an embarrassingly bad one, but an award show nonetheless. The whole point of coming was to represent your company and hope for the honor of an award.

Adam Carolla bombed and the audience was barely present all night.

Wtf was up with GM not accepting the Colorado award on stage? I thought that was pretty crappy of them. It's an award show, an embarrassingly bad one, but an award show nonetheless. The whole point of coming was to represent your company and hope for the honor of an award.

I think it being the first one of its kind probably equates to some kind of growing pains. 

But that Camaro. But that Cayonado. But that XC90. Pretty tasty.

Now, the Golf was rejuvenated with COTY. 

I expect the Camaro to go balls-out, on a sales chart upheaval. 

Excellence of Execution reaps its reward, both in car and truck form.

Chevy is on an epic roll.

Really the Colorado? Why not the Canyon?

Probably just a small price difference thing.

circa 2002 - my father raved about the Impala he would get as a rental when he'd go on frequent business trips. And that was before, where he was a disciple of Toyota.

I show him Chevy now and he's basically a full-on convert. If he wants a new car, well, like the Chevy ad for the 3 Chevy trucks.

Chevy, Chevy, Chevy. 

Impala, Camaro, Colorado.

• Agree 1

Goddamn now - talk about salience and self-confirmation bias.

I wanted the Camaro to win, and told myself I would basically ensure that in the next few years I would buy it - if it won.

And now it has won, I have to buy it. But I already wanted to buy it, so the award win is just a self-confirmation from automotive jesus.

Now, what's the best way to kit it out?

I want the V8...but to be honest I think I'd be fine with the 2.0T. 

The base model comes really nicely setup. Only choice is automatic, which is a thrilling no, yes it exists, but no I don't want it.

Not surprised on the truck. I knew it had to be down to Camaro or Civic based on events planned here in LA for the Auto show (I'm here till Friday).

The Volvo earned it with the XC90. That is a fantastic vehicle and the beginning of Volvo's Renaissance and ascent to true luxury status if they keep executing like that.

The XC90 is a nice vehicle. As long as the Chinese let the Swedes build it to their standards it will succeed.

Just read the top 50 people of the year list. It's definitely a Camaro-themed night for GM-their highest-ranked name on the list was Al Oppenheiser, at #4. When Tadge steps down, I'd say Al should be a shoo-in.

The XC90 is a nice vehicle. As long as the Chinese let the Swedes build it to their standards it will succeed.

Just read the top 50 people of the year list. It's definitely a Camaro-themed night for GM-their highest-ranked name on the list was Al Oppenheiser, at #4. When Tadge steps down, I'd say Al should be a shoo-in.

At the rate Camaro's going...it's already a Corvette at a Camaro price point.

I remember making a post once on MT, and that was about a year ago.

"GM has to make every vehicle it makes the Corvette of its class"

Boy is this becoming the reality. The reality that I want. Finally I can cheer for GM without any irreverence.

You'd have to be a someone who flat out hates cars to not like what companies that disrupt - basically what GM and Volvo did this year.

• Agree 1

I've seen the comments section over at MT. "Rational" isn't exactly he word I'd use to describe it. The amount of crying over there is unreal :P

From who?? The Mustang Fans?? 

Mustang fans will come in with every excuse in the book.. then follow up with crazy suggestions to try and hobble the Camaro so that they can eeek out one magazine win. 

Over at GMI there are some who suggest a 5.3L as an option .. because in 2016.. heading into CAFE, manufacturers are looking for a reason to drive up their corporate average. People should be happy that they are still offering a V8 at all. The fact that now we have a V6 with as much HP as the top Camaro or Mustang from 2002, albeit less torque, should be cause for rejoice.. on both sides. One great thing is that the numbers seems to damn near match those coveted LS1 powered Camaros

5.1 seconds and cover the quarter in 13.5@103 for the new 3.6L versus the 2002 LS1 CAmaro's 5.1 and [email protected]
  • Agree 4

That's $15,000 more than MSRP on my 2015 Colorado LT extended cab 4X4 3.6L.  I'm satisfied with what I got.  I can butch it up with tires, flares, body color grille and black bowties for a heck of a sight less than $15k.

• Agree 1

Yup.  Back to back TOTY... who else could have done it?  :P

And COTY... there was no other rational choice.  :suburban:

Oh really....

tumblr_ljhx7g621D1qcfyhd.png

Here's what I will say about the Camaro. It is a step in the right direction in a number of key areas - interior, overall driveability, performance. But compared to some of other models, I think it is just a step.

For example, the Mazda Miata. This car is about the same weight as the original model - impressive when you consider the number of new safety regulations, emissions, and feature bloat that has happened since that its introduction. What about the Honda Civic with its new turbocharged engine and improved interior?

The Camaro is good, but I think there are some other cars that could have taken the crown.