Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Quick test 2015 Charger rental.

Stew

Well, it was time for another business trip for my brother and another rental.  To mine and his surprise his ride was a 2015 Charger with the Pentastar V6/8 speed auto.  (He also had a choice of a base Cherokee or escape, but the charger was easily the winner).  As a rental it was a base model with a few options.  It had no foglamps, but did have some very nice looking LED accents on the front and the racetrack lights on the rear.  For a base model he interior was very nice.  It had the smaller 5 inch touch screen, but it is still VERY intuitive and easy to use.  All touch points and the dash top were covered in high quality/soft touch materials  The seats were very comfortable and the cloth had a very high quality look and feel to it.  They were firm, but in a good way.    The only piece that seems maybe a little base is the plastic around the gauges/head unit.  This is not the case on higher trims especially with the 8.4 inch touch screen.  It also had remote start and push button start.  The backseat, even with the front seat pretty far back had lots of leg and head room.  I like the fact you could comfortably put your feet under the front seats as well.  Rear seat passengers also got their own rear vents and 2 USB ports.  The seats back there were very comfortable too. 

The drive:

The 15 upgrades have simply made the 15 LXs seem like totally different cars.  The feeling is smooth, the structure is solid and the handling is secure.  When my brother fist met me and got out his comparisons were to his A5 and much they felt alike.  I agree.  I had said the same thing about the 15 Challenger with the V6 and the track pack i drove last year.  Now, his Charger didn't have that track package so it did roll a little more and lacked the shift paddles.  The shifter did provide manual shifting with the proper "pull back for upshift and push Forward for downshifts.  The Transmission always responded cleanly and quickly regardless of whether you were shifting manually or letting the transmission do it's own work.  I continue to be impressed everytime I use the ZF 8 speed.  The pentastar, as always, was a willing dance partner and companion.  Never lacking for power and always able to move these big  cars with an unexpected ease.  .  Thew brakes were still excellent though maybe a little touchier than i like.

Overall it may have been the base car, but it felt anything but.  Hopefully my brother will give me some FE figures since he took it on an 8 hour drive Saturday night.

I've also has some extensive seat time in one. LX cars are lot of goodness for a decent price. They churn them out of a suburb 30 kms from where I live.

But I could tell the age of the vehicle immediately. Soft curves everywhere inside, hard touch plastics (where they are) that don't have as close matching of grain patterns to the soft materials. The door trim was actually quite creaky, and the dash while a soft touch material, is not what I would consider a "high-quality" version of it. More like slightly below average - but perfectly adequate for the price.

The drive-line tunnel is kind of thick though, and the driver's foot well felt cramped for such a big car. Again, not bad for the car's price and mission.

Overall, I felt it was well enough assembled, but the new Impala, or heck even Avalon feel exceptionally well screwed together. But alas they're not RWD.

I find the racetrack lights a bit off-putting in person in the Charger. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but it just dominates the rear.

Welp, we're going that same road again...

My views are not consistent with yours, you place a premium on consistency and self-confirmation and therefore something with my statements has to be wrong.

Nope. I've sat in, and driven both the pre-refresh and refreshed Charger. I examined every touch surface and poked and prodded till I got bored. The car is competent for its age, you are getting a decent enough, but well worn RWD sedan setup in place of the latest front wheel drive competition. Sure it's got E-Class bits - but they're atleast a decade old, just retuned and refined to be decent enough for today.

The interior changes were superficial over the refresh, not like the Challenger that got a brand new interior. The unconnect buttons were re-arranged and the shifter was changed, and gauges were newer font typeface. Nothing else felt different.

I will give points for the transmission choice, and the PentaStar combo works great here. But that's all I have left for the car. The front grille is ok. But I felt it was a downgrade over the unique look the changer had before IMO.

Look Stew, I'm not trying to prove you wrong... I'm just presenting my take on the car as a reply. 

Good car for the price you pay, but not greatness worthy of being in every garage. 

<u;tiple issues with that last post.  For starters, there are no Benz designed pieces left in the suspension and what was there was very minor.  Second, the guages were all new and even he base model has a colorful TFT touchscreen that it didn't have before.  The entire center stack and center console was also redone.  Also, the suspension oes NOT feel old.  I am sorry, see it as you will, but even big mag and youtube roadtests talk about how solid it feels, and it does.  The interior materials were completely redone also BTW.  this is why I have my doubts, you are obviously missing a lot of the changes in the car.  It has nothing to do with disagreement, but rather logic. 

Another thing you stretched a bit is acting like every LX developed squeaks and rattles.  i have been in them from brand new to well over 100k and they have all seemed tight and quiet.  My Chevies (such as the 99 Z71 i have right now) seem to be some of the worst for developing squeaks and rattles.

Another thing you stretched a bit is acting like every LX developed squeaks and rattles.  i have been in them from brand new to well over 100k and they have all seemed tight and quiet.  My Chevies (such as the 99 Z71 i have right now) seem to be some of the worst for developing squeaks and rattles.

Uh no... I was just referring to the one I was in. The door trim was squeaking on passenger side. It was a rental too, but it had about 10,000 kms. About 7,000 miles I'm just guesstimating.

The E-class bits - I'm referring to the door switches for the windows. A redesign is a brand new interior. A refresh is a nip and tuck - a replacement of interior bits and pieces while the overall design is fundamentally the same. And it's not like new is suddenly better. Again, I liked the old designs in some areas more. I don't like new always. Why should I? Part of being rational is to resist the temptation to jump on everything that is newer and suddenly cherish it for its fresh appearance rather than resulting outcomes.

Again, the car is nice overall. But I cannot fundamentally agree with youtube reviewers and car mags because my own experience wasn't up to the expectations set by them. Who's at fault there? No one.

Logic. Well, I guess I'm the most illogical poster here. Hmmm. Well nothing I can do about my own idiocy. Change what you can, manage what you can't.

Again, I am inconsistent with your beliefs and self-confirmation bias. And that will not change. Again, I love how whenever I disagree with folks here, I get called names, and get descriptions ascribed because I must be wrong. Yet they forget how I mention the car is great for the price. 

Look, you can refer to your old Chevy car with tons of miles as a point of reference for an acceptable amount of sqeaks and rattles instead of my experience with the latest competition that is similar enough in price and segment space. That's fine.

In that respect however, the interior of the Avalon is better than a more expensive ES... and the Impala - well it didn't just totally surprise the folks at MT at just how competent it was, despite being FWD. There's real stitching in the Avalon interior and the padded vinyl stuff is on the doors and dash. The Toyota controls were actually quite simple as well.

Living in the city, I can't really hound any of the cars mentioned here, so they all performed well enough, but I liked the Impala the most of all 3 in driving it. The Avalon was smooth as butter, ride was closer to the Charger than I would have liked though.

FWIW, again, nice car. But you're not missing out ton by getting the FWD Impala instead, and you do gain in some respects, lo and behold.

• Agree 1

I have a friend who picked up one equipped identically to this. Pretty solid wheels. FWIW I don't think the interior's bad at all, especially compared to the old 300 he traded in for it.

Yep. I liked the interior too. But I still think is there plenty of room to improve. The tech is great though.

But it's not a revelation like the Challenger. Proof: the challenger has the best interior in its class.

For me to get an LX 4-door car to do that, you have to step up to the 300. The 300C and Platinum just take it to another level.

Whoa, you looked too far into my post!  I don't think i called you names, just doubting you drove one or paid much attention if you did.  i never said the interior was al new, in fact I even stated what was upgraded.  I agree the Avalon is nicer than the ES too and the Impala is a fantastic car.  If i bought a V6 Charger it would be AWD BTW.  that is the main reason while the FWD only cars would not be on my list.  the new Lacrosse is interesting though.  My point in comparing not the only the old truck, but the other 10 or so GM products i have owned, a lot purchased with very low miles, is that seem to develope squeaks more than others.  No big deal, just a observation. 

You made the interior issue one about logic. Subjective opinion is the exact opposite of logic. Did I ever try so say what I said correct is for all?

Also, you entertained the thought that I fabricated words. I didn't think you were capable of going that low, so I'll just pretend it didn't happen.

I made the issue one about the competition, the strengths and weaknesses of each product, and what works and what doesn't, my circumstances added to the mix as well.

I can't take any distracting argument construed as 'logic' against my opinion as being veritably persuasive when it isn't sensible and it tries to define some sort of credibility that exists at a level higher than my own first-hand experience.

Your first post was the best one Stew. Then it devolved into dissecting what I said to try to find some injustice I did to the car. I presented only my experience with the one old version and the one new one.

And now that I feel a bit off-put, you are saying I am reading too much into this. So at every stage I am either wrong, misleading or lacking detail in my own experience.

How could I lack detail when I mentioned I poked and prodded everywhere? Okay, let's pretend I do lack detail. But does that mean you lack the ability to comprehend the very words that you contradicted in your insinuation?

But if this is your standard intelligible argument against others, well lets hope they don't retort back.

I came into this thread feeling happy about a car getting by with less of new and more of proven, and instead I'm leaving in disgust because of the reasons why I cannot post my opinion without it being hounded for no reason, when I am not trying to incite a war of facts or logic or anything other than a recital of impressions and opinions.

• Agree 1

I have a friend who picked up one equipped identically to this. Pretty solid wheels. FWIW I don't think the interior's bad at all, especially compared to the old 300 he traded in for it.

Yep. I liked the interior too. But I still think is there plenty of room to improve. The tech is great though.

But it's not a revelation like the Challenger. Proof: the challenger has the best interior in its class.

For me to get an LX 4-door car to do that, you have to step up to the 300. The 300C and Platinum just take it to another level.

The Challenger has the same interior (for the most part as there are some subtle differences) as the Charger. They use the same materials as well, just in slightly different places due to subtle design differences.

Charger,

6bee24437b6472a6d34a5109404d99d3x.jpg

Challenger,

maxresdefault.jpg

I find the racetrack lights a bit off-putting in person in the Charger. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but it just dominates the rear.

I totally agree here, I thought I was the only one! The racetrack lighting looks awesome in pictures, but in real life it's WAY too bright from the LED lighting. Subtlety has never been Chrysler's strong suit, and the LX cars are a decade-long testament to that. Dropping the intensity in half would be a good start, I hate getting behind a Charger at a red light because the ass glows bright enough for sunglasses.

• Agree 1

Anyway...... good point Surreal, the main difference is that the lower part of the Center stack on the challenger is a seperate piece on the hallenger and the overall dash shape is slightly different.  Oddly, I m not really a fan of the 300's interior, just not a fan of the overall design, but top end trims offer exemplary craftsmanship. 

Edited by Stew

Anyway...... good point Surreal, the main difference is that the lower part of the Center stack on the challenger is a seperate piece on the hallenger and the overall dash shape is slightly different.  Oddly, I m not really a fan of the 300's interior, just not a fan of the overall design, but top end trims offer exemplary craftsmanship. 

The 300's interior design doesn't do anything for me either. Love that contrasted Challenger interior pictured above, though.

• Agree 1

I totally agree here, I thought I was the only one! The racetrack lighting looks awesome in pictures, but in real life it's WAY too bright from the LED lighting. Subtlety has never been Chrysler's strong suit, and the LX cars are a decade-long testament to that. Dropping the intensity in half would be a good start, I hate getting behind a Charger at a red light because the ass glows bright enough for sunglasses.

There is a bright spot to that though (pun intended).  You can see a cop from a mile away haha.  The KSP has tons of Charger's here.

Edited by Stew

Love love love the pentastar in my town and country. Better than the v6 was in my ford, and it's better than the gm 3.6 up till this year. Could use some bottom end torque, and the 8 speed, but the engine blows away my old notions of chrysler.

Love the new interiors in the lx cars. Not fond of the charger body but the overall package i like.

Good write up btw.

Hope Sergio doesn't fu-- it all. Up ......

Edited by regfootball

It is a shame they are only refreshing this car when it really needs to be replaced.

Dodge could really do some major damage to the other brands if they would make a Alpha like RWD. Lose the weight and update the car and they would not have to add such high rebates to the cars. It would help provide more Volume that they need and more cash.

The lack on investment by Sergio into Chrysler will be is undoing.

Just look what Jeep has done with the proper funding yet he leaves Dodge and Chrysler getting stale with old and rebaged product. Alfa is not going to save him but Chrysler would.

My in laws bought a 300 for the price of a mid sized car new. That should not be. there is no way a $40K+ car should be discounted that much.

• Agree 1

Completely agree. I think the design is awesome but they are too freakin' bright. When the drivers' foot is off the pedal is about as bright as they should be while braking. They NEED to tone that down some. 

It is a shame they are only refreshing this car when it really needs to be replaced.

Dodge could really do some major damage to the other brands if they would make a Alpha like RWD. Lose the weight and update the car and they would not have to add such high rebates to the cars. It would help provide more Volume that they need and more cash.

Just look what Jeep has done with the proper funding yet he leaves Dodge and Chrysler getting stale with old and rebaged product. Alfa is not going to save him but Chrysler would.

My in laws bought a 300 for the price of a mid sized car new. That should not be. there is no way a $40K+ car should be discounted that much.

but they probably wanted 'more car for their money'.....Fiat prob won't develop a new platform to replace the LX, Chrysler will prob milk it.

They prob see it as a dying market, i disagree, but Fiat is too Euro focused to understand the US.  Sergio only cares about Jeep obviously.

a 300 v6 AWD would be a great buy right now....an excoworker got one and loves it.

Cars a bit physically large for my tastes though.

Edited by regfootball

Could you at least keep your nonfounded gloom and doom out of my posts?  FYI, the Guilla platform is going to underpin the next gen dues between 2018 and 2020.  The refresh is fantastic though and the car drives as well as anything it competes with.  The interior is second to none, and with the V6/8 speed it is quick enough to be entertaining and yet achieve over 30 MPG on the highway.  99.9% of the buying public doesn't even know what wheels power their car, nevermind the platform it is on.

• Disagree 3

Could you at least keep your nonfounded gloom and doom out of my posts?  FYI, the Guilla platform is going to underpin the next gen dues between 2018 and 2020.  The refresh is fantastic though and the car drives as well as anything it competes with.  The interior is second to none, and with the V6/8 speed it is quick enough to be entertaining and yet achieve over 30 MPG on the highway.  99.9% of the buying public doesn't even know what wheels power their car, nevermind the platform it is on.

If you do not want opinions then stop posting threads.

If you want to prove me wrong that is fine I am a big boy and can take it.

Note I am far from the only one with this opinion. Hell GM gave their opinion on FCA this year.

I know the Guilia is coming but I can see you have little experience with Fiat and Alfa. I would not consider this a good thing. As for the year 2018-20 it should have been 2014. By then GM will have a new Alpha 2 platform and be one full generation ahead.

The present cars are pleasant. But they are falling behind. They have become the W body for Chrysler. While the W body was a good car too it was around way too long.

Generally most do know FWD and RWD. People are not all that bright anymore but they are at least not that stupid overall.

You should be livid if you are a Chrysler fan as many of my friends are as Sergio is screwing Chrysler royally. The biggest problem now is Alfa is going to fall way short of the Volume Sergio said he needed. If they fall short that will cut funds. If Funds are cut where do you expect them to cut them. Not on any Italian brand.

My whole point is We in America have lost too many brands already and I do not want to see Chrysler gone. As things are now they are being treated by FCA as the red headed step child. Sergio is putting all his chips on Alfa when it is Dodge that would bring up the volume and profits.

If you really are a Chrysler fan you had better pay better attention to what is happening to your company. I was terrified that this man wanted GM and I say a prayer that a large rock falls on Sergio before he takes away anymore American brands.

He already has killed the Viper due to poor management. You would thing with the resources at his control at Ferrari they could have done a much better car that would have sold in higher numbers an make a profit. He let them go to waste so he could sell his Alfa coupe.

• Agree 1

Quit comparing them to GM.  For starters,I doubt Alpha is going anywhere for the next 5 years.  Also, it is not like the Alpha cars have been major successes, in fact i would say that is to the contrary since LX cars outsell the Alphas by what, 3 or 4 to 1?  Customers for the most part could care less or even know what platform a vehicle rides on.  And i can pretty well guarantee they are making a TON of profit off of the LX cars.  Also, the LX cars timeframe is but a mere blink compared to how long the W-body, panther, or Fox cars ran.  The Camry platform is as old as the LX for pete's sake and i is the best selling car in America.  Remember, the idea is profit and they are making it on what they have.  We will see plenty of new Dodges and Chryslers in he next few years.  You don't even give them a chance.  Their continuing increased sales, month over month for how many years now?  Yes, the GM merger was dumb, but it has been months since it has even been mentioned.  Your doom and loom is pretty baseless reall. 

Sergio needs to go, FCA Needs to kill off the stupid waste of billions on a History name brand that never really sold and had terrible quality in the US and the world.

Reinvest the money back into Dodge, Chrysler, Ram and Jeep. This will allow them to have funds to improve the pathetic product line called Fiat. Or just kill it off also as they are terrible cars.

End result is the Charger is a lover car as is the 300. Yet they are now the boat anchors in the industry and they need to be replaced with lighter better autos.

Guilia should be focused on just Chrysler as a luxury line, used for a performance line on Dodge and call it a good day.

There are only 3 Alpha cars and two of them have starting prices substantially higher than the LX cars.  One of the Alphas has a starting price higher than the most expensive Chrysler. 

Not exactly a apples to apples comparison there. 

I am a big fan of the LX cars. I think the bones of the car are sound and and I'll go against Hyper and say their weight isn't as big of an issue as he makes it out to be as they are on-par with all other sedans of equal equipment and size except the Avalon.  Rendering the weight even less relevant is the fact that they are among the best in class for real world fuel economy.  There are certain constants in the world, the sun setting in the west, rising in the east, and me getting 33+ mpg out of a V6 LX car on the highway. 

That said, as much as I like the LX cars, the interior update they got was just "sufficient".  Just enough to keep them from falling too far behind.  Aside from the Taurus which feels just as out of date, the LX cars feel at least 5 years behind all of the competition in interior materials and craftsmanship. The Impala, outgoing Lacrosse, Avalon, ES, Camaro, Mustang, Accord, new Maxima all feel much newer inside. 

I'd still pick up a 300C Platinum Hemi in a heartbeat... but that is due to the overall package. I am realistic about where the car is in terms of advancement in the marketplace. 

• Agree 2

There are only 3 Alpha cars and two of them have starting prices substantially higher than the LX cars.  One of the Alphas has a starting price higher than the most expensive Chrysler. 

Not exactly a apples to apples comparison there. 

I am a big fan of the LX cars. I think the bones of the car are sound and and I'll go against Hyper and say their weight isn't as big of an issue as he makes it out to be as they are on-par with all other sedans of equal equipment and size except the Avalon.  Rendering the weight even less relevant is the fact that they are among the best in class for real world fuel economy.  There are certain constants in the world, the sun setting in the west, rising in the east, and me getting 33+ mpg out of a V6 LX car on the highway. 

That said, as much as I like the LX cars, the interior update they got was just "sufficient".  Just enough to keep them from falling too far behind.  Aside from the Taurus which feels just as out of date, the LX cars feel at least 5 years behind all of the competition in interior materials and craftsmanship. The Impala, outgoing Lacrosse, Avalon, ES, Camaro, Mustang, Accord, new Maxima all feel much newer inside. 

I'd still pick up a 300C Platinum Hemi in a heartbeat... but that is due to the overall package. I am realistic about where the car is in terms of advancement in the marketplace. 

I can honestly agree with this.  i do the Challenger interior is out of the ballpark though and one of the best out there, just my opinion though.  I personally can't wait for lighter gens, though i hope they don't shrink them, challenger included.  Give us a Cuda as a direct competitor to the Mustang and Camaro, but leave the Challenger in it's unique position.  And do the AWD LX cars have to have more ground clearance than the 2WD versions?  WHY?!?!  Yeah, they aren't as bad as they used, an 06-10 AWD looks ready to go off-roading.  On the same note, why not at least offer the AWD system on he V6 and R/T?  It would go farther to give them a unique place in the marketplace.  Of course hey would need to keep that ground clearance in check.  Call me Crazy, but i would also love to see at least the new Camaro turbo 4 and V6 with the ATS/CTS AWD system.  Speaking of that, finally saw a 6th gen in the flesh and only as passing.  Appeared to be a white LT with black rims.  This car was stunning and really sets itself apart fom the C5 in the flesh.  It looks like a coupe that would be at home in an upper lux brand.  Anyway......

Quit comparing them to GM.  For starters,I doubt Alpha is going anywhere for the next 5 years.  Also, it is not like the Alpha cars have been major successes, in fact i would say that is to the contrary since LX cars outsell the Alphas by what, 3 or 4 to 1?  Customers for the most part could care less or even know what platform a vehicle rides on.  And i can pretty well guarantee they are making a TON of profit off of the LX cars.  Also, the LX cars timeframe is but a mere blink compared to how long the W-body, panther, or Fox cars ran.  The Camry platform is as old as the LX for pete's sake and i is the best selling car in America.  Remember, the idea is profit and they are making it on what they have.  We will see plenty of new Dodges and Chryslers in he next few years.  You don't even give them a chance.  Their continuing increased sales, month over month for how many years now?  Yes, the GM merger was dumb, but it has been months since it has even been mentioned.  Your doom and loom is pretty baseless reall. 

FCA making profit? 

You might want to look a bit deeper into that into that.

• Disagree 1

FCA making profit? 

Well, the C par makes profit.  The F part needs to go away.

FCA making profit? 

That's only because Serg is killing the golden goose to feed it to dead brands.