2017 Chevrolet Cruze Hatchback!

ocnblu

Here you go, apparently an orange Premier RS... reminds me of a Hyundai product, but I think it looks great... definitely not awkward this time around!

post-37-0-22101400-1452163628_thumb.jpg

Click and make it big!

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

^^^^ Enthusiasts. They always want what they won't buy. I don't consider myself an enthusiasts anymore... because I like to buy what I ask the makers to make.

That being said. Looks damn sweet. Looks better than any Mazda 3, even its heyday. Zero reason why this should not also translate into Buick getting the Verano Hatch.. aka Astra. 

Side note. Why won't Chevy bring out an SS and lay waste to the Focus ST and onward to the RS with an AWD version? With the proper drivetrain, I'm betting that the 200lb drop might put this already in league with the ST. Wait... when did this happen? "powered by a 1.4-liter turbocharged inline-four engine, with 153 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque"

Anyway... 2.0L would put a hurtin on a certain Ford

Looks pretty dang good! I've always had a spot for hatchbacks, I've always thought they looked better and sportier than their brother, the sedan. 

As a Ford guy I'd love for them to turn on of these up into an ST/GTI/Speed3 fighter. More competition always breeds better products for them all. The 2.0 GM has is a great little motor and just pull it from one of their other vehicles and it would be good to go. 

{this is for Bill…}

Let's see, Spark, Sonic, Volt, Bolt, Cruze….

Chevrolet is really becoming the Little Car Company.

:D

The truth is they all are becoming the little car companies anymore. Even Cadillac is only half the size they used to be.

• Agree 1

^^^^ Enthusiasts. They always want what they won't buy. I don't consider myself an enthusiasts anymore... because I like to buy what I ask the makers to make.

That being said. Looks damn sweet. Looks better than any Mazda 3, even its heyday. Zero reason why this should not also translate into Buick getting the Verano Hatch.. aka Astra. 

Side note. Why won't Chevy bring out an SS and lay waste to the Focus ST and onward to the RS with an AWD version? With the proper drivetrain, I'm betting that the 200lb drop might put this already in league with the ST. Wait... when did this happen? "powered by a 1.4-liter turbocharged inline-four engine, with 153 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque"

Anyway... 2.0L would put a hurtin on a certain Ford

An enthusiast is someone who loves cars.

A automotive authority understands why some are not built.

An Automotive Expert begs fro a car that is cool but has no market while handing you the wrench you need to fix his car as he is leaning on the fender.

I would love an SS but it would be a difficult business case at Chevy. The price of a well optioned SS would not be cheap like the Ford. Ford has become a company that tries to do it all with one brand pretty much. GM on the other hand has a Buick division they could bring the Opel Astra OPC over with a Buick grill and lay waste to the Ford with a much better car from a division that could better justify the lower volume of a high priced FWD.

At Chevy you would be staring at $35K for a Cruze SS if you did it right. [Note my HHR SS in 08 Stickered at $28,000 and it had a cheap interior} Being the car would not be sold in other markets it would need to be at higher volumes. The Camaro on the other hand in V6 form would be as fast or faster and about the same price and maybe a little cheaper.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-opel-astra-opc-extreme-photos-and-info-news

Really look at the sales volume of the Cobalt SS and see there is a small market for this kind of car in a local market but Ford and Honda both market their cars globally at lower volumes that add up. This is a perfect play for the Buick White Space cars and it would fill the niche with a better car than Chevy could offer.

I am all for a Chevy Cruze SS in my heart but my business side leads me to a model already there and could be a better car with more profits.

Note too as a Buick they could make the car Premium Required easier and bump the HP of the 2.0 much higher. The limiting factor on the 2.0 is Chevys insistence of Premium Recommended Ratings as not to hurt sales. My LNF is now with the GM performance tune Premium Required but I gain over HP right to 300 HP and 315 FT LBS. With the better tranny the car could do 340 FT LBS.

Edited by hyperv6

I like the looks, I think it looks better than the Cruze sedan.  It also gives buyers more practicality and cargo space than a sedan, but handling or fuel economy than an SUV.    I like the design and the standard powertrain is adequate for daily driving.

As I said in the other thread, there is one problem with this car.  You need a "Hot" engine.  This car is begging for a 2.0T with 250 hp.  A lukewarm hatch is okay, a hot hatch is where it is at.

I actually think this is one of the best looking Chevys right now.  Makes me think what a Malibu hatchback would look like.  And not a Malibu Maxx, I don't want to revisit that, but imagine if they turned the Malibu into a hot hatch, that could be epic.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Competition?  :roflmao:

For instance, the best selling car in the world......Focus.

And may the fleas of a thousand Greek goats infest your jockey shorts.

The key word here is world not US market.

The real challenge here is that this car has to sell in the US market a market not really big on Hatchbacks. In todays market most people if given a choice of a car like this or say an Encore of Trax optioned similar at the same price the American will take the CUV.

The CUV rules in this market as the higher roofs and higher sitting vehicle appeal to people here. If they can't have it bigger they want it taller.

The Focus sales are global and that is why it does well. Opel also does well with the hatch but it is in Europe. That is why I think a OPC based Buick would be a better move here than a 4 door hatch Chevy. The lower volume can be leveraged over several markets.

Just look at the price of the top performance Ford Hatch and the volume of the performance version here. The numbers are low enough that with out the help of global sales they may not have had a business case for it. The Buick Opel would enjoy the similar volumes global. The new Civic will also enjoy the same volumes as it is also global. But here in the states they will be not a car you will see daily.

Then factor in the Camaro and Mustang. The cheaper cars with smaller engines are good buys and as fast as the V8 cars of just a couple years ago. Makes even a hatch SS or even the Focus a hard choice when you can get the power in RWD and a sporty coupe. You don't even have to remove the interior to make it faster.

The VW Golf is a huge global seller as well.  Hatches don't have a lot of sales in the USA because there is basically the Focus and Golf.  There aren't a lot of choices.  I think if there were more hatchbacks out there, there would be more sales.

People like the way a sedan drives, but also want more space and utility so they might go to a crossover to get that.  But this body style gives another option.

Car and Driver had a survey for most desired features among car enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts.  For non-enthusiasts the #1 desired feature was cargo space, #2 was all wheel drive (which is why I argue for an AWD malibu) and #3 and #4 are adaptive cruise control and automatic breaking.  If cargo space is the #1 desired feature, the hatch back hits that mark.

Conversely the least desired feature by enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts was electric cars and 2nd least desirable was plug-in hybrid.

• Agree 1

The real challenge here is that this car has to sell in the US market a market not really big on Hatchbacks. In todays market most people if given a choice of a car like this or say an Encore of Trax optioned similar at the same price the American will take the CUV.

The CUV rules in this market as the higher roofs and higher sitting vehicle appeal to people here. If they can't have it bigger they want it taller.

The Focus sales are global and that is why it does well. Opel also does well with the hatch but it is in Europe. That is why I think a OPC based Buick would be a better move here than a 4 door hatch Chevy. The lower volume can be leveraged over several markets.

Just look at the price of the top performance Ford Hatch and the volume of the performance version here. The numbers are low enough that with out the help of global sales they may not have had a business case for it. The Buick Opel would enjoy the similar volumes global. The new Civic will also enjoy the same volumes as it is also global. But here in the states they will be not a car you will see daily.

Then factor in the Camaro and Mustang. The cheaper cars with smaller engines are good buys and as fast as the V8 cars of just a couple years ago. Makes even a hatch SS or even the Focus a hard choice when you can get the power in RWD and a sporty coupe. You don't even have to remove the interior to make it faster.

This is why GMC needs to squeeze the Twin Turbo into the Terrain and have a New Typhoon AWD! :metal:

This is why GMC needs to squeeze the Twin Turbo into the Terrain and have a New Typhoon AWD! :metal:

Sorry as a owner of a Terrain I would rather wait to see what the Blazer and All Terrain is before I would even think of putting that engine in a high centered over weight old platform.

The Terrain as much as I like it is just a tall mini van as most CUV models are.

Wait to see if they build a Colorado based model that could really take the power and do it right.

I really never understood the people taking Terrains and trying to make them into off road vehicles or performance vehicles as it really is not a good basis for one. Great vehicle but not a performance vehicle even on a good day.

Keep in mind My HHR SS even lowered is high centered. I have seen many roll overs with the model because of the high center of gravity.

Edited by hyperv6

hyper,

I recall hearing once that NA Focus hatch sales equal 43% which is quite significant.

Yes but even with out NA it would still be small compared to sedan sales in general here. Hatches generally account for 1/3 of sales with most models that offer both sedan and Hatch models globally and in America some drop below that.

Ford for sure has the best sales but if you look around not many others offer much anymore and with as few that are sold it is easy to be a best seller in the segment.

Don't get me wrong I do not hate hatch cars as I know many over the years I love but the market has shifted. The Minivan killed a dying wagon market and the CUV is working hard on the hatch and also has knocked the mini van market to a point we never thought it would drop to.

The Automakers like it as they found a model that people will buy that they can still make roomy and useful yet look much like all the others and still sell. The Two box design is tough to style but yet they are getting away with it. MPG is pretty good compared to cars and night and day better than most full size SUV models.

I hope this car sells like crazy as it would bring more variety to a stagnate market of choices.

I just tire of the people who cry out for models without really thinking it though and then never do buy them even if they are offered.

I look at these things and judge the sales and volume of similar models. I look at trends and then I consider price and that is what they look at in a business case along with other metrics like plant cost and so on.

This is why we did not get the Opel OPC Insignia. While it was a cool car many never really looked at what it cost in Europe. It was a damn expensive car there right at $60,000 Now how many people would have paid $60,000 for a Regal even with a TT V6?

Edited by hyperv6

Sorry as a owner of a Terrain I would rather wait to see what the Blazer and All Terrain is before I would even think of putting that engine in a high centered over weight old platform.

The Terrain as much as I like it is just a tall mini van as most CUV models are.

Wait to see if they build a Colorado based model that could really take the power and do it right.

I really never understood the people taking Terrains and trying to make them into off road vehicles or performance vehicles as it really is not a good basis for one. Great vehicle but not a performance vehicle even on a good day.

Keep in mind My HHR SS even lowered is high centered. I have seen many roll overs with the model because of the high center of gravity.

By the way would you pay the over $50K it would cost to build a Turbo Terrain by the time you added the engine and re engineered the driveline so it would not shred? With the Denali at already over $42,000 I could see that one going at the least $50K or even more. The present rear axle and transaxle I could not see it holding up.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

hyper,

I recall hearing once that NA Focus hatch sales equal 43% which is quite significant.

Yes but even with out NA it would still be small compared to sedan sales in general here. Hatches generally account for 1/3 of sales with most models that offer both sedan and Hatch models globally and in America some drop below that.

Ford for sure has the best sales but if you look around not many others offer much anymore and with as few that are sold it is easy to be a best seller in the segment.

Don't get me wrong I do not hate hatch cars as I know many over the years I love but the market has shifted. The Minivan killed a dying wagon market and the CUV is working hard on the hatch and also has knocked the mini van market to a point we never thought it would drop to.

The Automakers like it as they found a model that people will buy that they can still make roomy and useful yet look much like all the others and still sell. The Two box design is tough to style but yet they are getting away with it. MPG is pretty good compared to cars and night and day better than most full size SUV models.

I hope this car sells like crazy as it would bring more variety to a stagnate market of choices.

I just tire of the people who cry out for models without really thinking it though and then never do buy them even if they are offered.

I look at these things and judge the sales and volume of similar models. I look at trends and then I consider price and that is what they look at in a business case along with other metrics like plant cost and so on.

This is why we did not get the Opel OPC Insignia. While it was a cool car many never really looked at what it cost in Europe. It was a damn expensive car there right at $60,000 Now how many people would have paid $60,000 for a Regal even with a TT V6?

You can't just combine all sedans for comparison, because it is segment specific. Nobody wants large or mid sedan hatches, because they are proportioned like wagons, which America hates.  Not so with a small compact. Ford has seen great success with the hatch and obviously GM noticed, which is why they are bringing it here.

And aside from looking better, IMO, the hatch is very functional too.

Edited by Wings4Life

hyper,

You can't just combine all sedans for comparison, because it is segment specific. Nobody wants large or mid sedan hatches, because they are proportioned like wagons, which America hates.  Not so with a small compact. Ford has seen great success with the hatch and obviously GM noticed, which is why they are bringing it here.

And aside from looking better, IMO, the hatch is very functional too.

I agree only the smaller cars hold much appeal in hatch configurations. But even then cars like the Sonic it sells more in sedan than hatch. A car like the spark it has to be a hatch or you would never get anything in it.

No way in hell I would want to see a Malibu hatch or Fusion hatch here in the states.

Lexus has tried hatches that are more expensive and they have not proven to be much in sales. So you also need to keep the price down.

Even Audi who has has some sweet hatch models really have not moved much product at the higher price.

It is a tough segment and unless you can rob sales from someone else I see little growth.

Edited by hyperv6

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

They don't need to grow it however.  They just need to offer what the customers are obviously requesting, otherwise GM would not go to the trouble.

I suspect Cruze will see similar sales of ~40% hatch, and with 20-25K sales per month, I would say that plenty justifies bringing it here, which by the way, is much easier and cheaper.

There is no loss here.  GM will gain, customers will gain and I bet GM sees sales lost to other hatches even come back to them.

there has actually been several late twenty early thirty somethings i know or have worked with that bought cars in the last couple years and actually more than one or two have gotten hatchbacks.  One friend got a last body 2.5 skyactiv mazda3.  A new coworker got her first newer car, a 14 elantra gt.  Another person i had worked with had a focus hatch.  

I think this cruze makes the last cruze hatch look terrible,  I am glad we didn't get that.  This new one, the doors look like the same sedan to hatch and the windows on the side look  the same too.  That is good.

This Cruze reminded me of the Elantra, but its lower and more rakish looking by some.

I thing now that the millennials might starting to get to be able to buy cars, i feel like the hatch segment may take off again.  Crossovers may not fit their budget and may be getting stigmas as old person cars.  So a hatchback can provide CUV utility but be cool.

I was starting to look at Malibus pretty hard but after seeing this hatch i wonder if i should wait.  This is pretty cool.  Thing is, the hatch practically begs for a stick and I (and my wife whose turn it is to buy) want to go back to a slush box next time.

This is getting upsetting because every new car Chevy or GM puts out I want one.  So, a Cruze hatch with a stick.  Next gen Cruze diesel automatic.  Malibu hybrid or 2.0.  Camaro 4 popper with stick or / and 6 cylinder (ok one of stick and auto for that).  A CT6 and XT5 and an ATS....ok I'll take a CTS also.  Give me a few Buicks too.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think the only automaker who offers a compact hatch, that I consistently see more of the sedans of is the Elantra.  Obviously, the sedans are selling more, but Ford, Mazda, and VW have had success with their hatches.  Since GM was already developing the Cruze hatch, the costs of federalizing it for NA (assuming it didn't require major structural changes for crash worthiness) are probably a small fraction of the overall development budget.

They don't need to grow it however.  They just need to offer what the customers are obviously requesting, otherwise GM would not go to the trouble.

I suspect Cruze will see similar sales of ~40% hatch, and with 20-25K sales per month, I would say that plenty justifies bringing it here, which by the way, is much easier and cheaper.

There is no loss here.  GM will gain, customers will gain and I bet GM sees sales lost to other hatches even come back to them.

Well we will see. How often have I seen GM offer something all cry for on the web only to watch no one come to the dealer and put up their money. 

At least with this model it is based overseas and if works good if not the bills will be paid overseas. 

I would be shocked if it is 35% here. 

I will say it will reach 35%, especially if the Sonic is dropped.  The Spark has moved up in size and amenities.  The Cruze hatchback is happening.  The Trax is here, and people are buying more CUV type vehicles.  Does the Sonic have a clear territory anymore?

The Sonic is mostly sedan sales as the Hatch is not a common sight here. It's key is price. 

The Cruze will fight with the Sonic hatch but mostly with the Nox and Trax for sales at the dealer. I expect the Trax and even the encore will take the bulk of the sales. 

Like the HHR. It was really a Cobalt wagon but make it look like a truck and people will chose it over the car. Also the added height of the CUV models are welcomed as making better use of the space. 

The Cruze hatch really only slightly betters the use of the Sedan by the opening size. Now the Cruze wagon has more cargo space if you really want to use it. Hatches tend to be like Coupes more about styling than function and in today's market people tend to go for the utility over style. I blame the mini van for that. 

I had thought Buick should sell the new Astra hatch here but the new model's styling is not what the last gen was. The opc Astra 3 door in particular was HOT. the all new Astra doesn't have the sizzle or style appeal the new Cruze hatch does.

The new Cruze sedan is good looking but in lesser trims as you see pictures come out you see it's not quite as dynamic as the current gen Cruze. Having the stylish hatch in the showroom now should help offset the Asiany quality of the new one.

The Sonic probably had to be planned to be built and sold for a decade to pay for its development and to be built in US. at the prices it sells at, it won't be getting a remake any time soon unless a new design comes out and it's assembly is shipped to China or Korea.

New spark is nice but the low power engine will keep it from big sales. It really needs a engine option of 130-140hp, or at least something that can keep up with the lowly Versa. I'll be honest I really like the new spark. I hope this gen offers the electric version also.

Chrysler will regain inroads with the new Pacifica in the van segment. I am shocked by the commitment to the product and the stylish new execution. I never thought I would ever be in a position to be a REPEAT Chrysler customer. The van segment is still viable.

I'll be cautious and say Cruze hatch should get 15% of sales. More would be no surprise. All the newer Elantras I see on the road now are the GT hatches. Funny how the new Elantra sedan went dead in the market around here. Probably where all the new sonata leasers are going to move up in size.

Cruze wagon is a nice idea but THAT wouldn't sell and it would ruin cruzes style. Astra wagon would be a good verano lineup choice and then they could even offer the diesel there too.

Edited by regfootball

The only company that could pull off a Minivan is Chrysler but even they will see reduced numbers. Many sales are lost to the CUV segment and if they add more CUV models they will take them from their mini van sales. 

Mini vans are like the station wagon and their run is on the decline. 

Some how I bet you will be close on the 15%. I expect a little more but even my estimate of 35% I think is high. 

The Cruze wagon on many web sites got more positive hits over the hatch. I almost wonder if they are doing the wrong car. The cargo area is so much more useful in the wagon and it does it with out looking like a family truckster. 

• 4 weeks later...

{this is for Bill…}

Let's see, Spark, Sonic, Volt, Bolt, Cruze….

Chevrolet is really becoming the Little Car Company.

:D

Yeah, but the Cruze is now as big as an early fwd Malibu or the 2nd last Grand Am.

Very good to see one of the greatest posters of all time back here. 

• Agree 1

I had thought Buick should sell the new Astra hatch here but the new model's styling is not what the last gen was. The opc Astra 3 door in particular was HOT. the all new Astra doesn't have the sizzle or style appeal the new Cruze hatch does.

The new Cruze sedan is good looking but in lesser trims as you see pictures come out you see it's not quite as dynamic as the current gen Cruze. Having the stylish hatch in the showroom now should help offset the Asiany quality of the new one.

The Sonic probably had to be planned to be built and sold for a decade to pay for its development and to be built in US. at the prices it sells at, it won't be getting a remake any time soon unless a new design comes out and it's assembly is shipped to China or Korea.

New spark is nice but the low power engine will keep it from big sales. It really needs a engine option of 130-140hp, or at least something that can keep up with the lowly Versa. I'll be honest I really like the new spark. I hope this gen offers the electric version also.

Chrysler will regain inroads with the new Pacifica in the van segment. I am shocked by the commitment to the product and the stylish new execution. I never thought I would ever be in a position to be a REPEAT Chrysler customer. The van segment is still viable.

I'll be cautious and say Cruze hatch should get 15% of sales. More would be no surprise. All the newer Elantras I see on the road now are the GT hatches. Funny how the new Elantra sedan went dead in the market around here. Probably where all the new sonata leasers are going to move up in size.

Cruze wagon is a nice idea but THAT wouldn't sell and it would ruin cruzes style. Astra wagon would be a good verano lineup choice and then they could even offer the diesel there too.

The Astra/Verano hatch is now divorced from the sedan. The former Excelle GT built and sold as the Verano in the US has been split into a smaller Excelle GT, and a new, larger Verano sedan sharing the longer platform of the new Cruze (the new Chinese Cruze is smaller). While the Chinese market Astra-based Excelle hatch has been replaced by a new Verano hatch, that is still a Chinese-built version of the (new) Astra, not as big as the Cruze hatch or Verano sedan.

The new platforms are:

2640 mm wb Baojun 630, Excelle GT

2662 mm wb Astra, Astra Tourer, Cruze (China), Verano hatch

2700 mm wb Volt (ok, 2694, but that's a suspension adjustment), Cruze, Verano (sedan)

2750 mm wb Baojun 560 crossover, Buick Envision, Baojun 730 MPV (2740 mm in awd)

Generally Skodas are unique, and bigger than a VW on the same platform. E.g. the Jetta rides on a 2648-2651 mm wb, the Octavia on a 2686-2688 mm wheelbase, the Jetta 70" wide, the Octavia 71.4" . Also the Jetta is a 4-door sedan, the Octavia "sedan" a 5-door semi-fastback, While the new European Passat is a 109.9" wb, 187.7x72.1x57.3" sedan, the new Skoda Superb is a 111.9" wb, 191.4x73.4x57.8" semi-fastback sedan, so it has much more headroom, legroom, and shoulder room than even the US-Chinese Passat, and a much bigger trunk (625 v. 490 L). Plus neat details like hidden umbrella storage like the Phantom, and a built-in iPad stand in the rear-seat armrest.The former Roomster compact van and the Yeti crossover are like nothing any other VW Group brand has ever produced.

The only company that could pull off a Minivan is Chrysler but even they will see reduced numbers. Many sales are lost to the CUV segment and if they add more CUV models they will take them from their mini van sales. 

Some how I bet you will be close on the 15%. I expect a little more but even my estimate of 35% I think is high. 

The Cruze wagon on many web sites got more positive hits over the hatch. I almost wonder if they are doing the wrong car. The cargo area is so much more useful in the wagon and it does it with out looking like a family truckster. 

if Chrysler is the only company that can pull off a minivan why did Toyota sell 137,497 Siennas in 2015, and Honda sold 127,736 Odysseys.

• Agree 1

if Chrysler is the only company that can pull off a minivan why did Toyota sell 137,497 Siennas in 2015, and Honda sold 127,736 Odysseys.

Those are small numbers for a vehicle like this. Chrysler over the years sold many more annually and even today Chevy alone last year sold about twice those numbers in the old Nox.

Hell the HHR as Niche model sold that many vehicles almost each year it was built.

The bottom line many sold minivans but few reached or maintained the numbers Chrysler pulled. I is what kept them alive in the 80's and 90's when it was just add on sales to anyone else.

yet, when you include the sales of the chrysler vans and even the Kia Sedona, the segment is half a million strong.  It's absolutely ridiculous to suggest the segment as irrelevant or niche.

It's sort of irrelevant to compare the segment in 2016 vs. 1986 because crossovers didn't even exist.  The primary draw for the crossovers is all wheel drive + faux truck look.  Sedans like Impala used to sell a half a million a year also, now its a success if they crack say, 80,000.   But we don't put the sedan segment out to pasture.  As a matter of fact, the number of sedan choices out there is still mind boggling because there are so many.

How about we call the whole of Cadillac irrelevant, they can barely muster to sell 1/3 of the minivan segment with their entire US line.  And often their cars sit and rot on lots for one or two model years and end up as loaners to be sold at 15 grand off.  Do they really deserve the resources to be kept alive?

The lambda vehicles accused of being minivans are an additional 250,000 vehicles a year that sell primarily due to their large size similar to a minivan.  The Chrysler products are designed to add all wheel drive in a couple years.

The small and mid size crossover market is cannibalizing sedans more than anything.  The lambda vehicles drew from the minivan segment when they were introduced because of their size.  The splintering and proliferation of makes and models in the low to mid priced crossover segments is not coming from the minivan market.  It's people moving from sedans to crossovers moreso.

A lot of the younger set that finally have money to spend and buy a newer car since the recession, i've seen them buying hatchbacks exactly like the Cruze hatch.

Edited by regfootball