another used car shopping endeavor

I am fearing our 3rd car, a Taurus wagon, has transaxle issues, as a filter/fluid change today did not remedy shifting issues it intermittently has. Trans has no adjustment capabilities; it was suggested that a cracked filter may suck air; old filter showed no signs (it's plastic, floating in a sea of liquid- how's it going to crack?)… but pan gasket was fairly weepy anyway.

It's a '95, bought it cheap a year & a half ago (from a friend) with 70K on it, now has 86K. Not worth rebuilding the transaxle. Not worth it as a 'local only' car, either. 

Haven't yet determined a budget, but would like to get something with actual cargo space. I know that's not easy to accomplish anymore- most of the CUVs are jokes as far as square (not cubic) footage goes. I don't really have much else in the way of wants, other than I'm not partial to foreign brands.

So with that distinct lack of criteria, who has any suggestions? ;)

I am fearing our 3rd car, a Taurus wagon, has transaxle issues, as a filter/fluid change today did not remedy shifting issues it intermittently has. Trans has no adjustment capabilities; it was suggested that a cracked filter may suck air; old filter showed no signs (it's plastic, floating in a sea of liquid- how's it going to crack?)… but pan gasket was fairly weepy anyway.

It's a '95, bought it cheap a year & a half ago (from a friend) with 70K on it, now has 86K. Not worth rebuilding the transaxle. Not worth it as a 'local only' car, either. 

Haven't yet determined a budget, but would like to get something with actual cargo space. I know that's not easy to accomplish anymore- most of the CUVs are jokes as far as square (not cubic) footage goes. I don't really have much else in the way of wants, other than I'm not partial to foreign brands.

So with that distinct lack of criteria, who has any suggestions? ;)

Flex.

It's a shame you missed out on this though.

^ How is "the worst" also 'mid-pack'… and in what venue am I competing against vehicles I didn't buy?

Flex's are a bit steep in price from the few I saw online.

Full-size truck is out, I think… but I'll look into them (IE: Tahoe, but definitely not a Suburban).

Not looking forward to this process….

^ How is "the worst" also 'mid-pack'… and in what venue am I competing against vehicles I didn't buy?

Full-size truck is out, I think… but I'll look into them (IE: Tahoe, but definitely not a Suburban).

You kinda need to give us a budget

I said mid-pack AT BEST, being the best models of the domestic offerings. The GM duo is awful imo, and base Escapes aren't much better. The transmission kills the I4 Cherokee. V6 ones are pricey new, not sure about the used market.

Another used car shopping endeavor?

Howza 'bout a Mitsubishi Endeavor for your used car endeavor?

04808111990001-480.jpg

If I were you, Id leave it up to these nonsensical coincidences of life and buy that Mitsu.... to fulfill your endeavor with an Endeavor.

tumblr_inline_n4rgc7zOuf1sabwr0.jpg

But if your budget permits, Id go for this Endeavor instead.

Khi-tau-vu-tru-My-bo-tren-pho_Tin180.com 

This way, you could actually take a trip and visit Vader's tombstone and really fulfill your destiny...with Kylo Ren.

And since you are good with your hands, maybe you could tinker with it and make it do the kessel run in 11 parsecs beating the Falcon.

Yes : definitely used. 

Prices even on 3-4 yr old stuff is surprisingly high, now that I'm looking at stuff, ESP for an intended 3rd vehicle my sons will split.

I'm willing to 'spend more' (still talking out how much) to get a reliable, worry free vehicle. AWD would be nice, but not necc. Solid cargo space is a bit more of a criteria, but budget is going to rule over all.

Japanese brands are off my consideration list; too many problems… not to mention; I'm an automotive bigot.

We've done what I would consider really well WRT recent vehicle purchases. Bought an '03 GP in '05, 29K on it, cost $13K. Put 108K on the car, only non-maintenance repair was the infamous intake gasket ($600). Replacement '09 Malibu, bought new, stickered for about 24K, got 2K off via incentives, 1K off via GM card, plus $4600 on my F-150 trade- so we paid around $17K for it. Has been very reliable with no issues other than maintenance, still no rattles, has 102K on it now. That's 210K miles over 2 sedans for $30K.

Edited by balthazar

Hoping to get something one can fold the 2nd row flat & get like 6 linear feet inside. Taurus has a pretty good sized, totally flat 'bed' inside, I'm not going out in the dark now to measure linear footage, but the '93 brochure says the wagon has 81 cubic feet with the 2nd row folded. In comparison, a '16 Escape has 67; you have to go to an Explorer to get 81. Flex does hit 83.

Again- cubic footage is a misdirect, I want square footage. Cubic 'advantages' as seen in CUVs are not real world practical, IMO.

I'm certainly not married to Ford, BTW.

HHR is small; 57 cu ft.

Edited by balthazar

Flex is probably it then if you can find an old enough one in the budget.  It is, in essence, the only modern full size wagon left being based on the Taurus.

I'm not going to suggest an old Saab 9-5 wagon, too hard to find and too much care and feeding to keep on the road.  9-3 wagon isn't awful and the last ones are GM products.

Outside of that, you're looking at minivan.

So the algorithm formula is large cargo length in surface area, preferably the aspect ratio of the width being a chunk smaller to imply length, reliability, Amuricane, 

and a good deal....

Uh...a Durango tango mango. Maybe like an earlier build of the new gen?

You could get a minivan. I mean if that solves everything...I dunno. I give up!!!

OK...my first post was a humorous one because I dont fare too well with advice like this...but a 1990s GM B-Body wagon?

Buick Roadmaster or Caprice station wagon?  If you could find one in good condition that has not been drag raced to death.

Too old?

What about a used first gen 2010 Ford Transit Connect?

Taurus X probably had really low sales volume and could be hard to find.  It was the Freestyle for a couple of years too.  Transit Connects aren't that cheap, I have seen 100k mile ones for like $14k before which seems nuts.

The diesel in the R-class will never stop running though.   Gets like 27 mpg highway I think.  

I suppose the Rendezvous/Aztek have too small a load floor?  Dodge Magnum wagon too low of a room in the cargo area, and those have poor reliability.  

Volvo V70 or V90?  Whatever their larger wagon is called, or that XC70 Volvo Outback wagon?

of course we had a taurus X and it was fantastic......drove like a car.....great hauling capability.....third row was even good.  Fold down front seat meant 10 foot items could fit....even did the christmas trees inside the car. Close to a minivan as we could get without getting a van.

got rid of it when the tranny and some AWD bits started acting up.  But I think that's not isolated to that vehicle.  Flex is the same vehicle with a stretch.  A good Taurus X around 100k miles should be under ten grand, but for sure get the extended warranty.  The issues we had did not seem like isolated events for just our Taurus X based upon my internet research.  They seemed often enough that it made me think hanging on to mine was going to cost me.

Our Aztek was good...until the tranny acted up also.  We had just fwd.  But boy could it haul stuff.  Rendevous is good.  

Love our new pentastar chrysler van.  They drive nicer than you'd expect and the engine is quite good.  MIght surprise you how inexpensive those can get....or Routans even.  Be sure to go 2012+ with the pentastar.

Looked into a Magnum before also.  Always wanted to find a 2008 Magnum v6 AWD.  Tough to find, those have the new front end and the nicer interior.  Then they killed it after they fixed it.

I even did research on the mercedes R class diesel.....avoid those, those have a bad rep....or buy a REALLY good warranty.  What else would you expect from a used German vehicle?

Lots of people like those original Honda Pilots.

Mitsubishi Endeavor was actually a great ride but it REALLY sucked gas and it says you need to use premium for those.  Fuel costs with 13-15 mpg and premium will kill you if gas goes up.

Prob some of those a bit large and not really wagons but i know they are good value for the $$$$

Edited by regfootball

I don't recall (after looking them up) ever seeing a Taurus X in person. Those within 200 miles of me seem to all have over 100K on 'em.

Transit Connect is a bit too utilitarian. B-body wagon is too large. mercedes' are too junky.

Am I being a PITA with this yet? ;)

No.

You need something.

You want something.

Its your gosh darned right to choose what you want.

Lamba SUV, like a Saturn Outlook.  2006, 2007, 2008...

Then there is  the Saturn LS Station Wagon from the early 2000s.

While looking clean, the cost to buy replacement parts as things fail will negate the low cost of the station wagon.

Now that we have a budget(!!!!! - lol ) I think the Trailblazer is also a good option.  My dad had an Envoy XL and the only thing to go wrong with it was the catalytic converter went out on it in the ~130k miles he owned it. 

That Taurus X/Freestyle is also a good idea. It seems there are plenty under 100k miles and under $8k as well. 

I'm not sure how much room you need or size in general that you want but my buddy has an HHR and when the seats are folded down there is a lot of room for a smaller vehicle and it gets much better fuel economy than the larger vehicles that have been brought up. 

I'm not sure how you feel about the previous generation Escapes but they seem to be in the ballpark as well. 

Dodge Nitro..? 

This is an odd one for me. I'm not used to looking up something to practical and useful..lol 

All right. 

Did some 'Sunday Lot Recon' today in the snow, and $8K buys total crap. I alluded to it above; I could go higher if the value is there. After today's trip, I think to be realistic I have to be in the $12K range. I'm not spending $8K for 25K miles of usage; as at that price level - everything is solidly over 100K miles.

• Looked at the Escape, Edge, Equinox ('09, 125K, $11K), and a Volvo XC70 ('08, 82K, $13.7K) 

• Focus hatch is a bit small, Transit Connect is ridiculously utilitarian for the money, Flex is pretty big (I do have some driveway constraints). Those are all out.

What's missing on the market is a Fusion-sized wagon.

• Not up on the Grand Cherokee or Jeeps in general (my buddy swears against them), what's the reliability on those?

• Trying to stay away from a minivan. I'm not at 100%, maybe 75% against, I dunno what my reasons are.

I think I'm at least gelling on the budget and the vehicle size/type… will keep looking this week.

I'd stay far, far away from a Journey.

Hey!!!   :cussing: 

I pity the fool who dont like Journey! :mr-t:

They got good music! :bowl:

I faithfully listen to their music still today.

I have never stopped believing in Journey.

Steve Perry's voice is like a fine wine...sherry wine.

so...who's cryin' now for avoiding Journey?

(I couldnt fit this song in my little story, but Id thought Id force it on to you folk anyway! :yes: )