Cruze RS/SS May Soon Be Reality

Chevy Exec Alan Batey had some interesting comments about the new Cruze 5-door when interviewed about the potential for a hot hatch or performance model like so many automakers offer in this segment.

“We’ve really positioned this as sporty, and to appeal to those young, fashion-conscious consumers that are looking for something in the compact segment,” he said, with the Cruze’s 1.4-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine (with 114kW of power and 240Nm of torque) a standard fit for the US market.

When asked if there is potential for a performance model – with a big engine – to come, he said: “Yes – for sure, for sure”.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/408651/chevrolet-cruze-rs-hot-hatch-absolutely-has-potential/

chevrolet-cruze-hatch-hero_a.jpg

I loved the Cobalt SS. It put out pretty damn good numbers for its time. Was it a canyon carver like today's hot hatches? Probably not. But the supercharged version was 205hp/200tq which was ahead of the GTI up until 2015. Then they turbocharged the engine and it jumped to like 250hp or so. Very stout for its time! Heck, that's still a stout engine/car. 

I'd love to see them throw their 2.0T tuned to 275hp/320tq or so. It'd put the ST/STi/GTI/Speed3 to work for sure. As cool as it would be for them to make an RS fighter I highly doubt they would instantly jump into the 35-40k hot hatch group with the RS and Golf R. The only thing the GTI has going for it over any of those is it's chassis. While superb it's grossly under powered for its competition. One of my best friends has a '12 GTI and it's a cool car and the DSG works great but it's still a high 14 second car. It's crazy how the movement from 1/4 mile racer to canyon carver is going on right now. Cars are handling better than they ever have, people care less about straight speed. I think it's in part because cars are just so fast in a straight line that you can' take advantage of that on the streets anymore so the next performance metric to brag about it lateral g's and cornering ability. 

I loved the Cobalt SS. It put out pretty damn good numbers for its time. Was it a canyon carver like today's hot hatches? Probably not. But the supercharged version was 205hp/200tq which was ahead of the GTI up until 2015. Then they turbocharged the engine and it jumped to like 250hp or so. Very stout for its time! Heck, that's still a stout engine/car. 

I'd love to see them throw their 2.0T tuned to 275hp/320tq or so. It'd put the ST/STi/GTI/Speed3 to work for sure. As cool as it would be for them to make an RS fighter I highly doubt they would instantly jump into the 35-40k hot hatch group with the RS and Golf R. The only thing the GTI has going for it over any of those is it's chassis. While superb it's grossly under powered for its competition. One of my best friends has a '12 GTI and it's a cool car and the DSG works great but it's still a high 14 second car. It's crazy how the movement from 1/4 mile racer to canyon carver is going on right now. Cars are handling better than they ever have, people care less about straight speed. I think it's in part because cars are just so fast in a straight line that you can' take advantage of that on the streets anymore so the next performance metric to brag about it lateral g's and cornering ability. 

It was the fastest FWD around the Nurbergring until some froggy Renault took that title.  It was beating its RWD contemporaries from BMW at time.... so yeah, it was probably more canyon carver than most hatchbacks today aside from the GTI. 

Cruze hatch with 6 speed and about 250 hp would be all i would care for.  Even 210-220hp this thing would be a thrill ride.

I drove the Focus ST at a ride and drive event.  It was nice but I don't really want the full sports treatment.  The RS is absolute overkill but I know that has its fans.

200+ hp with the manual trans option and decent buttoned down suspension with good steering I think would be a sweet spot I would like.

Maybe its GM looked into magnetic ride for a car in this class.

• Agree 1

It was the fastest FWD around the Nurbergring until some froggy Renault took that title.  It was beating its RWD contemporaries from BMW at time.... so yeah, it was probably more canyon carver than most hatchbacks today aside from the GTI. 

Wow. Impressive. I hadn't realized that. I just knew it was punching above it's weight class at the time(and is still a very capable car). Especially considering the Turbo was made in '09 there wasn't a Camaro, the Mustang GT was only 300hp... You get the point. 

I'd say handling-wise the Fiesta ST has to be thrown in there with the best as well. 

250 HP turbo 4 is plenty for this segment car. More than that is just going to torque steer anyway. A 1.6 turbo with 200 HP would be a good up-level engine for the Cruze sedan, and middle engine for the Hatch.

Completely agree. Once you pass that 250ish area with even more tq it's a recipe for a CAPABLE car but a disappointing car.

This actually reminds me..

My buddy with his '12 GTI pulled up to a stop light next to a Focus ST which he had heard the blow-off valve on(assuming it was at least slightly modded). He wanted to race him(assuming he would lose to the much more powerful ST so his expectations were low). When the light turned green he just stood on the "go pedal" and the ST just sat there and lit up his tires. My friend let off fairly quick as it wasn't even a race at that point but the point being.. FWD is very limited when it comes to power to the pavement.

The Turbo charged 2008 Cobalt SS had 260HP and 260 ft lb of torque. .. it was pulling 0-60 in 5.5 secs and pulling .92 gs on the Skidpad.. It held the record on the Nur Ring for about 7 years. GM offered a factory back boost that pushed it from 260HP/260lbs to 290hp/340lbs of torque.. in 2008. I kno 3 different people with Cobalt.. HHR.. and Sky RL with this upgrade.. NOTHING but the truth

Lol at the Focus's Recall history. Won't even bring up the Escape's.

I swore there was something I heard the other day about glass houses Casa...

LOL... He started it

• Disagree 1

250 HP turbo 4 is plenty for this segment car. More than that is just going to torque steer anyway. A 1.6 turbo with 200 HP would be a good up-level engine for the Cruze sedan, and middle engine for the Hatch.

Completely agree. Once you pass that 250ish area with even more tq it's a recipe for a CAPABLE car but a disappointing car.

My buddy with his '12 GTI pulled up to a stop light next to a Focus ST which he had heard the blow-off valve on(assuming it was at least slightly modded). He wanted to race him(assuming he would lose to the much more powerful ST so his expectations were low). When the light turned green he just stood on the "go pedal" and the ST just sat there and lit up his tires. My friend let off fairly quick as it wasn't even a race at that point but the point being.. FWD is very limited when it comes to power to the pavement.

Admittedly they should incorporate the AWD system in it.. but even with 300HP my Impala is devoid of any torque steer

Admittedly they should incorporate the AWD system in it.. but even with 300HP my Impala is devoid of any torque steer

That's the HiPer strut talking in your Impala I'm sure.

There will not be AWD in the Cruze. I'm told it is not possible with the suspension setup they are using.

That's the HiPer strut talking in your Impala I'm sure.

There will not be AWD in the Cruze. I'm told it is not possible with the suspension setup they are using.

Chevy Impala did not get HiPer Strut. And its too bad about the lack of AWD in the Cruze.. altho if they decide to go up against the Focus RS.. I could see them figuring a way to do it.

You got me there! I thought it had it.  Even more impressive that it handles as well as it does without HiPer then. 

Yup.. but I think it is a thing with all the Epsilon IIs. The Impala, especially for being as large as it is.. is one helluva handler. Believe me.. I have done things with it that most sports cars drivers have to drop their jaws in AWE. Same thing goes for the K2XXs