General Motors Quietly Stops Production of Cruze Diesel in US

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

General Motors has quietly stopped building diesel-powered cars for the U.S. market.

Steven Majoros, marketing director for cars and crossovers for General Motors Chevrolet Division, said GM halted production of the diesel-powered Chevrolet Cruze at its assembly complex in Lordstown, Ohio, this past October when it switched over the new version of the Cruze.

More at the link below:

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2016/01/general-motors-quietly-stops-production-of-cruze-diesel-in-us/

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

So is it lack of interest in Diesel, or GM's fear of the regulatory microscope up their butts due to the VW scandal?

Or both?

Anyway, color me not surprised.

The Cruze diesel is coming back.  It was dropped when the first gen Cruze turned into Cruze Limited.  It will be a new smaller diesel with greater fuel efficiency than the existing model. 

Edit: The new gen diesel was always going to be a 2017 rather than 2016.  Staggered diesel launch just like the GM mid-size trucks. 

Well you only have to look around right now and see what the conditions are in America. 

#1 Diesels are not a big engine in America even under the best conditions outside of trucks. Few people want to roll smoke in a Cruze. 

#2 The low price of gas right now is not going to entice people to pay more for an engine they are not in love with. 

#3 The cost as I mentioned above of Diesel engines anymore with the emission packages that are required are high and that only makes a car more expensive and not as likely to make it back with the low price of fuel. 

I am sure they will try this again but I think we will see a pause here as the market conditions are not really at their best for this. Even the fall out over the VW has made many people who have no clue wary of any diesel. 

GM will be ok as they will continue to sell them globally and really have had little to lose here in North America. Just one of those things where timing is important and this time it was all wrong. 

They will continue with the Colorado and we will see how it does. Most Diesel fans are large truck guys who like to tow big things or just play with the Diesel. Also companies like them for fleets in some cases. 

Hey give GM credit that they were willing to give it a try. But this is another case of the public on the web saying build it and the truth is the market and the conditions were not accepting of it. Now we will see if all those who said to build a hatch will now buy one or become no shows at the dealer. 

Hey GM is responding to the people but yet where are they. Keep this in mind when you see GM not build something and then people bash them for not doing it. 

• Agree 1

So then sales are just really slow for Diesel cars?  

Sales of the Cruze diesel were slow because it was only equipped as a nearly top line LTZ model.  The Cruze diesel being dropped for 2016 and back for 2017 isn't news. We've reported both stories months ago, so the link you provided isn't exactly a breaking story.   This isn't a slow sales thing, it is a model change-over thing. ... you appear to be trying to push a particular narrative.

Chevy is actually planning on capitalizing on VW's woes in advertisements with the new Cruze diesel.  It's the 1.6 liter unit from Europe that the European media has dubbed the "Whisper Diesel". It has 140hp and 250 lb ft of torque.

• Agree 3

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Well you only have to look around right now and see what the conditions are in America. 

#1 Diesels are not a big engine in America even under the best conditions outside of trucks. Few people want to roll smoke in a Cruze. 

#2 The low price of gas right now is not going to entice people to pay more for an engine they are not in love with. 

#3 The cost as I mentioned above of Diesel engines anymore with the emission packages that are required are high and that only makes a car more expensive and not as likely to make it back with the low price of fuel. 

I am sure they will try this again but I think we will see a pause here as the market conditions are not really at their best for this. Even the fall out over the VW has made many people who have no clue wary of any diesel. 

GM will be ok as they will continue to sell them globally and really have had little to lose here in North America. Just one of those things where timing is important and this time it was all wrong. 

They will continue with the Colorado and we will see how it does. Most Diesel fans are large truck guys who like to tow big things or just play with the Diesel. Also companies like them for fleets in some cases. 

Hey give GM credit that they were willing to give it a try. But this is another case of the public on the web saying build it and the truth is the market and the conditions were not accepting of it. Now we will see if all those who said to build a hatch will now buy one or become no shows at the dealer. 

Hey GM is responding to the people but yet where are they. Keep this in mind when you see GM not build something and then people bash them for not doing it. 

Diesel in trucks makes more sense than sedans obviously, but I think the backlash from VW not only damaged perceptions.  Combined with scrutiny over regulations, I see less overall interest while much cheaper GTDI is gaining traction.

It has to do more with cost and the fact Americans are not Diesel lovers in cars. 

But hey it really did not hurt to try as GM just brought here what they already sold else where. 

Gas Turbo engines are going to be the norm and GM is already well vested there too. Many think  Ford invented it but GM has had them even longer as has VW/Audi. 

My 2.0 is a 08 and still running strong at 23 PSI. 

But I like what GM is doing. They are using all technologies Gas, Diesel, Electric, Hybrid, Propain and even Hydrogen. They are well vested and involved to a high degree in all of them. This is a safe way to go as it will give the most flexibility to react to a market that right now so many really are not sure where it will end up. 

As for the Gas Turbo DI. It is not gaining traction as many cases today you have no choice as it is a standard engine in many vehicles. I learned long ago how well the Turbo loves the DI and others will too find out about them. 

The one issue though is not all Turbo engines are the same. Some are trouble free and others have seen some issues. It will be a matter of investing in these engines to make them bullet proof. Some have and some have not. 

Note even VW will recover. Diesel have a strong base in Europe with VW and most owners were not put off as the media has tried to make it appear. 

It's the lack of cheap lease deals really.

Which can only come with greater scale. Which isn't happening.

But the Cruze diesel will have its chance to get a good whack at the segment. It's like having two baseball batters and the first one tested positive for PEDs while the second one is coming into his prime right now, and the rest of his team is riding a hot streak.

Chevy has some decent momentum, that it really hasn't had in a while. VW is out of the picture.

Question as Drew has pointed out, the Whisper Diesel is scheduled for 2017, the drop for 2016 was known and expected and not news to those aware of the industry.

Bigger question, if the BOLT takes off like I believe it will with a 225 mile battery pack as stated by GM, then is there a need for the Cruze Diesel? Will GM end up shelving it if the BOLT really takes off in sales?

Thoughts?

The Bolt will effectively over time get the cheap lease deals and the benefit of absurdly low fuel equivalent costs that the Cruze diesel might not ever get.

But again... throwing the kitchen sink to get something to stick is rearing its head again.

Honestly, I would not be going gaga over a new certified diesel. It just doesn't seem like the right configuration for the North American market.

Despite what enthusiasts say about diesel, it is already in the process of being totally inconsequential, like gas, as electrics improve. 

Now the only thing holding electric vehicles back has been the historical choke price of electric vehicles for the masses and still just the lack of infrastructure  ...which in price is coming down in orders of magnitude very, very quickly.

For full substitution though, electric cars need some packaging constraints addressed. They can't all be dumpy dumplings forever, and they certainly need variety and spice. They need luxury models. They need a realistic model line.

Because if the Tesla Model S is enough to crush the best performing sedans in its class, and win awards world over, then the Bolt will have the advantage of doing the same to every affordable $30-40k car in certain respects, for an exclusive head start that may be as little as zero days (depends on when the Leaf or Ioniq or the next few holdouts are marketed) or up to a full year give or take a quarter.

But diesel cars shouldn't just be afraid of Bolt. Volt. Model 3. Nissan Leaf. Ford's supposed dedicated hybrid/electric car. Hyundai Ioniq.

They're all ready for prime time very soon. And then the real shift begins or doesn't start at all. Will people go away from legacy nameplates?

The fastest way to do the conversion would be to just keep the legacy nameplates and just ditch gas in own fell swoop. But that's also utterly stupid and a nonstarter for shareholders. But you'd get CAFE everywhere compliance in a span of the time it takes to redo a showroom. So within 5 to 8 years.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

GM expected that Diesel would account for 10% of Cruze sales, but only got to 2% it's first year, which is typically where there is some pent up demand.  I believe it has gotten lower since.  So although they have mentioned 2017 for the return, anything is possible, given those sales numbers.

GM expected that Diesel would account for 10% of Cruze sales, but only got to 2% it's first year, which is typically where there is some pent up demand.  I believe it has gotten lower since.  So although they have mentioned 2017 for the return, anything is possible, given those sales numbers.

The Cruze diesel is just the foot in the door for GM doing a wider spread of diesels here.   Johan has already said that Cadillac would be getting a number of diesels.  The Whisper diesel is used in the Opel Mokka which means it could easily be used in the Buick Encore (It just needs the EPA certification, they're built in the same plant).  

Given the attention VW has received over the diesel emission scandal, it does not surprise me that the Cruze struggled in sales. A lot of people probably became a little wary that it was more widespread than it is. GM is doing the right thing by not giving up though and making sure that the new generation Cruze diesel will have it's day.

It's the lack of cheap lease deals really.

Which can only come with greater scale. Which isn't happening.

But the Cruze diesel will have its chance to get a good whack at the segment. It's like having two baseball batters and the first one tested positive for PEDs while the second one is coming into his prime right now, and the rest of his team is riding a hot streak.

Chevy has some decent momentum, that it really hasn't had in a while. VW is out of the picture.

i looked really hard at trying to get into the cruze diesel back about a year and half ago or whatever, when gas was 3.50+ and i was driving 90 miles a day.  The price of a fully loaded LTZ was too much for the fact it was a small car and the higher fuel price.  Even just comparing leases (Which of course don't work for high mileage but i compared them anyways) you are right, the diesels didn't have a 'cheap lease'.  Chevy is giving Cruzes away right now with their lease terms.  There was never a buy deal or a lease deal on the Cruze. 

The Cruze diesel has had some teething issues here also.  Nothing catastrophic, but I'm not sure the dealer network is 'fully' ready to deal with servicing diesel issues in the car line.  A lot of buyers don't want to deal with DEF either.

I test drove the diesel a few times and in truth it was a really nice powertrain.  The most enjoyable, which maybe isn't saying much, of the Cruze.  But i spent about 1,000 miles in two separate Cruze rentals a few months ago and the character difference between the hyper and noisy gas 1.4 turbo and loafing turbo was night and day.  If you wanted a Cruze and wanted the best powertrain available with it, it was the diesel.

The diesel as it was was very heavy as well.  So the upcoming diesel will weigh less and be more refined.  I don't expect just as much power, but I would bet the car gets 50 mpg consistently on the highway.

GAs was 1.68 at the station i drove by earlier today.  Diesel has been closer to gas lately than it was 18-24 months ago.  Still, diesel is a pretty hard sell when gas is that cheap. There are enough diesel fans though, I think that you could move at least 10,000 of the things a year, even with gas prices this cheap.  If you are willing to do that and gradually build diesel volume over time, you can poach a lot of VW diesel fans.

Too bad CARB and EPA are out to make criminals of all the carmakers.

When Cruze diesel comes back, they really should offer a 1LT diesel.  Only an LTZ meant the price was high enough to turn profit and could be massively discounted to move them at the end of year and still have a decent enough sell price on them.  But I think for commuters of long distances to work, leather etc. is not what they really want too often.  A 1LT for around 23 grand sticker would sell pretty well at invoice and with a light rebate.

I would build off the Cruze diesel and bring an Insignia diesel over here for Buick.  

Edited by regfootball

Well the game changes with the VW story. While GM will contiue on in some markets I expect some plans may change and be adjusted in others depending on demand. 

Second factor is the lower gas prices. How long they last may also change plans here. 

Third this is never going to be a cheap engine in America. The cost to build and sell it due to regulations anymore make it a premium engine. You are not going to get it in a base model as few would buy a high priced base model. hence the loaded car. You also are not going to get low ball lease deals either unless there is a bunch sitting unsold on dealer lots. 

Finally Cadillac needs it for Europe. There will still be a need and market there for the Diesel but even regulations there could get to American standards and drive them out of the market there too. 

The flat fact is Americans do not understand the modern diesel, they have never driven one and they know they at this point will not save any money on one. So right now it is a answer to a question they are not asking. GM would love to sell a lot of these but with a disinterested public and a EPA that is wanting to pretty much drive the diesel market into the dust in this country it is a tough sell. 

With more auto companies calling for a global emissions standard, I would expect diesel in Europe to follow the US as well as in China. I think Hybrid / EVs are going to by 2020 be replacing many auto's including diesel.

Electric for the most part is vastly superior in almost everyway in terms of the total car.

For example. The Tesla Model S is a great car. but it's built rather conventionally. Now imagine a Cadillac "CT6-E". Full electric, 400+ miles range and all the fancy Omega goodness. Too bad it's not gonna happen.

Either we die or fossile fuels die.

Or we die and we become future fossils for the next set of primates to fuel ape-man style global warming for the second time in earth history.

Or we perfect global warming for maximum warming efficiency so we can ditch earth, go to Mars and siphon all the methane and natural gas from Titan to terraform Mars. 

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Electric for the most part is vastly superior in almost everyway in terms of the total car.

For example. The Tesla Model S is a great car. but it's built rather conventionally. Now imagine a Cadillac "CT6-E". Full electric, 400+ miles range and all the fancy Omega goodness. Too bad it's not gonna happen.

Either we die or fossile fuels die.

Or we die and we become future fossils for the next set of primates to fuel ape-man style global warming for the second time in earth history.

Or we perfect global warming for maximum warming efficiency so we can ditch earth, go to Mars and siphon all the methane and natural gas from Titan to terraform Mars. 

Who is going to buy these $100K electric cars anyway?  

Well there was a time I did not think the EV would become more the norm but It could happen in my life time. 

I have seen where people I know in the industry are now saying that the EV will become more and more common and they are people I never thought I would hear it from like Motorsports managers etc. 

I do not see it coming before 2025 on the EV being strong unless there are some breakthroughs. We will see an increase of Hybrids in the future. They are more expensive now but like Anti Lock brakes and Stability Control they will get cheaper and on the lower models. I expect many cars will come standard with these systems in the future. They are the best compromise till the EV is perfected. 

The truth be said the emissions are so well over played anymore. Cars and most areas now are cleaner than they ever have been. No matter what you drive they will pollute in some manor in where the electric comes from or how they are made. There are by products to anything you do even a horse.  In short we are not all going to drop dead no matter what form of transportation. This is a bit over dramatic over played from many on the green side just trying to make their points. 

The EV car still has more work to do. The issues with how fast to charge with out damaging the battery needs work. You still can not charge one in the time to fill a tank of gas. Also Many people just do not have a place to charge or enough places to charge cars. A lot of work needs done there. Hell most people struggle daily just finding a place to charge their I phone. This is why the Hybrid will carry the load for a good while. 

the CT6 will carry the load from development cost as will the Volt. Then this technology will trickle down to the other cars and the more they make the cheaper it will get. 

The global standards will make thing cheaper for all. But the stick in the mud will be CARB in California. These folks do not play in the real world. They are all about numbers and certification. I have seen were people have modified cars for better performance and lower emissions but they will not grant them legal?  It is sad that they only worry about their own ideas and not what is coming out of the tail pipe. Even over simple things like Weed Eaters and Gas Cans they have nearly made it difficult to produce these or sell many of them out there. There thinking has even moved to NY and some other States of late. 

The future needs to be a balanced agreement of all parties and not just the extreme on either side trying to call the shots. The fact is we are not going to run out of oil anything soon. We are also not going to die from car emissions any time soon and there is room for all parties to make this deal work. 

The Fact is the ICE has set a standard that most live by. Until an replacement can match and beat that standard in ALL AREAS they will always remain a issue. The greatest challenges now are still cost, The next will be where to charge and how long. We need a charge time at least the same as filling a tank of gas to satisfy most owners of one vehicle. Most people will not want to plug in and sit and wait several hours to complete a trip that is only as long as the Charge is going to be. 

To do this if must be done in the right way as if forced it will make people mad and reject it. Cost and life style changes are the two keys. Lower the cost and make it so people can travel as they do not or better they will be happy. 

Also note cold weather needs some work too. The Tesla and other cars still need some work there too. Batteries hate cold and it effects them more than even a ICE that suffers lower miles. 

• Agree 2

Well the game changes with the VW story. While GM will contiue on in some markets I expect some plans may change and be adjusted in others depending on demand. 

Second factor is the lower gas prices. How long they last may also change plans here. 

Third this is never going to be a cheap engine in America. The cost to build and sell it due to regulations anymore make it a premium engine. You are not going to get it in a base model as few would buy a high priced base model. hence the loaded car. You also are not going to get low ball lease deals either unless there is a bunch sitting unsold on dealer lots. 

Finally Cadillac needs it for Europe. There will still be a need and market there for the Diesel but even regulations there could get to American standards and drive them out of the market there too. 

The flat fact is Americans do not understand the modern diesel, they have never driven one and they know they at this point will not save any money on one. So right now it is a answer to a question they are not asking. GM would love to sell a lot of these but with a disinterested public and a EPA that is wanting to pretty much drive the diesel market into the dust in this country it is a tough sell. 

Pretty much what I was thinking as well. Cars that use gas/ and can be charged are the future...plain and simple.

Well there was a time I did not think the EV would become more the norm but It could happen in my life time. 

I have seen where people I know in the industry are now saying that the EV will become more and more common and they are people I never thought I would hear it from like Motorsports managers etc. 

I do not see it coming before 2025 on the EV being strong unless there are some breakthroughs. We will see an increase of Hybrids in the future. They are more expensive now but like Anti Lock brakes and Stability Control they will get cheaper and on the lower models. I expect many cars will come standard with these systems in the future. They are the best compromise till the EV is perfected. 

The truth be said the emissions are so well over played anymore. Cars and most areas now are cleaner than they ever have been. No matter what you drive they will pollute in some manor in where the electric comes from or how they are made. There are by products to anything you do even a horse.  In short we are not all going to drop dead no matter what form of transportation. This is a bit over dramatic over played from many on the green side just trying to make their points. 

The EV car still has more work to do. The issues with how fast to charge with out damaging the battery needs work. You still can not charge one in the time to fill a tank of gas. Also Many people just do not have a place to charge or enough places to charge cars. A lot of work needs done there. Hell most people struggle daily just finding a place to charge their I phone. This is why the Hybrid will carry the load for a good while. 

the CT6 will carry the load from development cost as will the Volt. Then this technology will trickle down to the other cars and the more they make the cheaper it will get. 

The global standards will make thing cheaper for all. But the stick in the mud will be CARB in California. These folks do not play in the real world. They are all about numbers and certification. I have seen were people have modified cars for better performance and lower emissions but they will not grant them legal?  It is sad that they only worry about their own ideas and not what is coming out of the tail pipe. Even over simple things like Weed Eaters and Gas Cans they have nearly made it difficult to produce these or sell many of them out there. There thinking has even moved to NY and some other States of late. 

The future needs to be a balanced agreement of all parties and not just the extreme on either side trying to call the shots. The fact is we are not going to run out of oil anything soon. We are also not going to die from car emissions any time soon and there is room for all parties to make this deal work. 

The Fact is the ICE has set a standard that most live by. Until an replacement can match and beat that standard in ALL AREAS they will always remain a issue. The greatest challenges now are still cost, The next will be where to charge and how long. We need a charge time at least the same as filling a tank of gas to satisfy most owners of one vehicle. Most people will not want to plug in and sit and wait several hours to complete a trip that is only as long as the Charge is going to be. 

To do this if must be done in the right way as if forced it will make people mad and reject it. Cost and life style changes are the two keys. Lower the cost and make it so people can travel as they do not or better they will be happy. 

Also note cold weather needs some work too. The Tesla and other cars still need some work there too. Batteries hate cold and it effects them more than even a ICE that suffers lower miles. 

yup, all this ^^^^