Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Autoblog Staff debate over Continental

03-2017-lincoln-continental-detroit-1.jp

Over at Autoblog, the reception of the Lincoln Continental was as controversial and hotly debated as it was here at C&G. Some editors felt there was room for the handsome--albeit sedate--flagship sedan in the market and Lincoln will only move forward from here, while others felt that Ford fell far short of creating the halo vehicle it needs and made a number of key mistakes that will seal its fate.

Lots of interesting points from folks who know the industry.

"The Lincoln Continental may have been our fifth-place pick for Best In Show at this year's Detroit Auto Show, but it's probably the one we argued about the most. In fact, we're still talking about it. And we'll no doubt be discussing it long after we finally get to drive the new sedan later this year. We do this with lots of cars, all the time.

The Continental is an especially important, high-profile car right now. It has the task of being a torch-holder for the struggling-to-run Lincoln brand, and that's a tough job these days. But did Lincoln do right by its Continental name? Did its Detroit showcar stop us in our tracks, or were we left feeling cold?"

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/21/2017-lincoln-continental-debate-featured/

I think the most powerful remark was when one of the detractors declared "Lincoln has become Mercury," because it makes the most sense. Lincoln is almost exactly what a well sorted Mercury brand should be. FWD/AWD and a lot of shared powertrains and technology.

The only models that extend further into luxury territory are their Black Label vehicles equipped with the top engine. Lincoln should strongly consider making those interiors standard instead of filling dealers with cars one notch above Ford Titanium.

• Agree 2

I don't really get the autoshow timing dig.

Both the 2017 MKZ and Conti will probably go on sale at the same time. or within weeks. 

For us enthusiasts, most of us are already not in love with Lincoln... and won't be until very high standards are met. I mean sure the company can do even more... but like in the CT6 thread, throwing money at the problem rarely ever works right. 

So why should the brand give a single damn about what we think either?

I was feeling with the spy shots that the car was going to look dopey. But now we've seen the real images, and when I see the car in person I hope to have my mind set - I was pleasantly surprised.

I think the most powerful remark was when one of the detractors declared "Lincoln has become Mercury," because it makes the most sense. Lincoln is almost exactly what a well sorted Mercury brand should be. FWD/AWD and a lot of shared powertrains and technology.

The only models that extend further into luxury territory are their Black Label vehicles equipped with the top engine. Lincoln should strongly consider making those interiors standard instead of filling dealers with cars one notch above Ford Titanium.

"Lincoln has become Mercury" is statement about 3  or 4 decades late.  Mercury became Ford in the 70s with a direct assault on Ford's low priced lines. By the time the panther cars came out, there was nothing more than a very slight visual distinctiveness to buying a Mercury. There was nothing you could get at a Mercury dealer that you couldn't also get at a Ford dealer.  Beginning in the early 80's the same time, Lincoln descended into building the Ford "Titaniums" of the time and basically filled the spot that Mercury vacated. 

• Agree 1