GMC News: Revealed! 2016 GMC Sierra All Terrain X

The Ford SVT Raptor currently rules the roost when it comes to off-road trucks. But it seems no one wants to take it head on. Instead, a number of truck manufacturers are introducing models with some modest upgrades to tackle the trail - Ram 1500 Rebel and Toyota TRD Pro. GMC is the latest automaker to join the latter group with the 2016 Sierra All Terrain X.

Unlike the Rebel and TRD Pro, the All Terrain X isn't a separate model. Instead, it's a set of packages available on the Sierra 1500 Crew Cab equipped with four-wheel drive. It begins by equipping the truck with the All Terrain package that includes the Z71 off-road package with Rancho shocks, an Eaton rear-locking differential, hill descent control, skid plate for the transfer case, and a bed liner.

From there, you can option the All Terrain X package that adds a set of Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Mud-Terrain tires wearing 18-inch aluminum wheels, bed mounted bar to support off-road lights, LED headlights, and a new sports exhaust boosting power of 5.3L V8 from 355 to 365 horsepower. It should be noted that you can only equip the X package if the Sierra is a SLT short box crew cab.

“Styling is the biggest influence on Sierra customers and the new Sierra All Terrain X builds on that with a more aggressive, personalized appearance that complements its exceptional capability. It joins other models such as the new Sierra Elevation and premium Sierra Denali to offers more choices for finding the premium truck that matches customers’ style and capability needs,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing.

You'll be able to pick up a Sierra All Terrain X at your local GMC dealer later this spring.

Source: GMC

Press Release is on Page 2

GMC Announces Sierra All Terrain X

GMC today announced the 2016 Sierra All Terrain X – a special edition of the All Terrain model, featuring exclusive premium content that enhances off-road capability and an aggressive, monochromatic appearance.

The All Terrain X’s powerful attitude reflects a popular personalization trend among off-road enthusiasts, executed with the top-range refinement GMC has cultivated for years with models such as the Sierra Denali. Its premium package of monochromatic exterior trim and special equipment offers a customized appearance in a limited-edition model, complemented with GMC’s latest technologies.

The Sierra All Terrain package blends capability with unique style to make a statement on or off road. Highlights include:

• 4WD with Eaton locking rear differential
  • Z71 Off-Road suspension package with Rancho monotube shocks, high-capacity air cleaner, Hill Descent Control and underbody transfer case shield
  • Rear Park Assist
  • Unique grille with body-color surround and tinted chrome accents; body-color front and rear bumpers (rear bumper with corner steps)
  • Spray-on bedliner
  • All-Terrain-logo instrument cluster
  • Inclinometer in the driver information center.

Product Details
The new Sierra All Terrain X is offered on the 2016 Sierra 1500 4WD crew cab/short box models with SLT trim. In addition to the standard All Terrain content, the “X” package includes:

• 265/65R18SL Mud-Terrain-rated Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac MT tires, designed for off-road competence in dirt, gravel and mud, with on-road composure in dry, wet and wintry conditions
  • 18 x 8.5-inch black aluminum wheels
  • Sport side steps (black)
  • Bed-mounted sport bar (black) designed to support the accessory off-road LED lighting package
  • High-performance LED headlamps
  • Performance exhaust system, which bumps output of the 5.3L V-8 engine to 365 horsepower and adds an aggressive note
  • Body-color door handles and body-side moldings
  • Black exterior mirrors, belt moldings and B-pillars
  • Interior floor liners
  • Available colors: Onyx Black, Summit White, Stone Blue Metallic, Iridium Metallic, Crimson Red Tintcoat, Light Steel Gray Metallic.

On Sale
Spring 2016

“Styling is the biggest influence on Sierra customers and the new Sierra All Terrain X builds on that with a more aggressive, personalized appearance that complements its exceptional capability,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing. “It joins other models such as the new Sierra Elevation and premium Sierra Denali to offers more choices for finding the premium truck that matches customers’ style and capability needs.”

View full article

That is Freakin Sexy! I at first thought it was a new generation Avalanche now named All Terrain X. Clearly wrong as it is just a fancy off road package but it does make this stand out. Very sweet! :metal:

I have to agree with Drew, It seems like it is more of an appearance thing than performance thing. Looks gnarly, but that's just it. 

Optional to the package are the A/T tires, "bed mounted bar to support off-road lights, LED headlights, and a new sports exhaust boosting power of 5.3L V8 from 355 to 365 horsepower." . So without choosing those optional items then what the heck is even in the All Terrain X? 

"Styling is the biggest influence on Sierra customers and the new Sierra All Terrain X builds on that"...

GM is only doing appearance packages and have not done much more. While this has a little hardware it is not a Raptor killer by any mean's. 

I am not sure why they have resisted but they must have a reason. 

I would not hold my breath for a mid gate. If they ever did one the short bed Colorado needs it worse. 

• 5 months later...

My question is was there an issue with the mid gate. GM has run from it like a seal from a killer whale and no one else has even tried it. 

Is there rattle issues? Roll over roof issues? There has to be some reason they walked away from it. I liked the idea and would have loved to see more of it but something tells me there is an issue some place. 

A solid back wall creates so much rigidity in a cab. They already killed the reverse doors for more stiffness on the extended cab. Also have you ever seen how much a roof moves with no windshield. The glass is now part of the structure. 

I suspect there is a good reason for no mid gate.  Cost, weight, safety etc. 

I'm no expert on this subject, but I believe the Avalanche was hurting the Suburban sales, since you needed a Suburban body/frame to make the Avalanche.  I regret not pursuing an Avalanche a few years back, as it offered the best of both SUV & Pickup worlds for me (I'm a stickler for GMC-branded vehicles).  

GM designed an Avalanche-like bed accessory seen on the 2015 Chevy Silverado High Desert concept:

chevrolet-silverado--2_600x0w.jpg

chevrolet-silverado-_800x0w.jpg

This would work for me with a Sierra Crew Cab, as I wasn't interested so much with the Avalanche's mid-gate as I was with the covered bed storage features.  Seeing as how I have the Canyon now, I'd really considered this bed insert for a mid-size truck too.  GM is foolish for not putting this option into production ASAP for both its truck lines.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

My question is was there an issue with the mid gate. GM has run from it like a seal from a killer whale and no one else has even tried it. 

Is there rattle issues? Roll over roof issues? There has to be some reason they walked away from it. I liked the idea and would have loved to see more of it but something tells me there is an issue some place. 

A solid back wall creates so much rigidity in a cab. They already killed the reverse doors for more stiffness on the extended cab. Also have you ever seen how much a roof moves with no windshield. The glass is now part of the structure. 

What do you mean by "mid gate"? What is that? 

The gate in the Avalanche that used to open the smaller bed up and into the cab. You could remove the wall and window in the back of the cab to expand storage.

It made a small bed large enough to carry ply wood, 2x4 etc.

It was only used on the Avalanche and I ponder that there may have been some issues as it was a great idea but never used on anything else. It would be great on a Colorado crew but never used.

It has to be a structural thing or warranty issue. I never heard of one but it is crazy they never used it for anything else with no explanation.

I do not believe the Suburban issue was a big deal as Suburban sales are no where near what they used to be.

Approximately zero of that is any issue with the Avalanche. The buttresses at the rear of the cab on the Avalanche weren't just a styling detail, they were structural. Also, the bed and cab are a single piece, there is no separation like there is on all other trucks besides the Ridgeline. It would have to be a very specific and very extreme roll-over situation to crush the roof on one of these.  Like landing upside down on a fallen tree after rolling down a cliff.  The Ridgeline is unibody, so without the frame there, it probably wouldn't be stiff enough.

In my years with the Avalanche, rattle from the mid-gate was never a problem...  if it was, it was operator error.  If I heard a rattle, I would get out and check because it meant that I didn't close a latch properly.  Where I did have a rattle was in my sunroof. 

My guess is that the Avalanche's demise had to do with cost.  The Suburban jumped from $43k base price to $49k base price, and the Avalanche would have needed to move with it.  They probably couldn't justify the price of the Avalanche at that range. 

My guess is that the Avalanche's demise had to do with cost.  The Suburban jumped from $43k base price to $49k base price, and the Avalanche would have needed to move with it.  They probably couldn't justify the price of the Avalanche at that range.

Oh, I don't know if I agree with that, Drew.  Every Avalanche I saw on Chevy dealer's lots in 2012 and 2013, when I was actively looking to purchase one, was priced in the $48-$52k range, and these were the LT-trimmed models. The LTZ, the one I drooled for, was approaching $55-$57k.  With the price that new 2016 crew cab pickups are selling at ($52k and up), I think the Avalanche would have continued to sell if it was updated along with the Suburban.  I was hoping that the new mid-size twins were going to spawn an Avalanche-like model, hence the full-size Avalanche's departure. The Chevy Silverado High Desert concept tells me that the Avalanche isn't really dead with the GM designers ;)

Oh, I don't know if I agree with that, Drew.  Every Avalanche I saw on Chevy dealer's lots in 2012 and 2013, when I was actively looking to purchase one, was priced in the $48-$52k range, and these were the LT-trimmed models. The LTZ, the one I drooled for, was approaching $55-$57k.  With the price that new 2016 crew cab pickups are selling at ($52k and up), I think the Avalanche would have continued to sell if it was updated along with the Suburban.  I was hoping that the new mid-size twins were going to spawn an Avalanche-like model, hence the full-size Avalanche's departure. The Chevy Silverado High Desert concept tells me that the Avalanche isn't really dead with the GM designers ;)

Oh I know they typically sold new in the $55k and up range, but can you imagine them trying to add another $8k on top of that when the most recent ones came out?  It's a great truck and a great concept, but at $63k for it to be equipped the way people like it you're already into Sierra Denali range.