Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Geneva Motor Show: 2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport: Comments

Power isn't everything in a sports car and Chevrolet would like to prove to that you with the introduction of the 2017 Corvette Grand Sport.

The Grand Sport retains the 6.2L LT1 V8 producing 460 horsepower. But is able to pull 1.2 Gs and is almost as quick as the last-generation ZR1 at GM's Milford proving ground. How did Chevrolet pull this off? It comes down to the chassis and body. Corvette engineers fitted new stabilizer bars and springs to improve handling. A set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires keep the Grand Sport sticking to the road. Other changes for the Grand Sport include a limited-slip differential, a Z06-style front grille, wider rear fenders, and a new aero package.

Optional is the Z07 package that adds carbon-ceramic brakes and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Cup tires.

Chevrolet will be offering Collector Edition of the Grand Sport that includes a Watkins Glen Gray paint finish with Tension Blue hash marks, satin black stripes, black wheels, and a full leather and suede interior finished in blue.

The Grand Sport will be offered in a coupe and convertible when it goes on this summer.

Source: Chevrolet

Press Release is on Page 2

2017 CORVETTE GRAND SPORT HAS RACING ROOTS

• A ‘purist’ model that leverages a half-century legacy of motorsports success

• Lightweight architecture and track-honed aerodynamics
  • An engine offering an estimated 1.05g in cornering capability and up to 1.2g with the available Z07 package
  • Coupe and convertible available this summer in U.S. and fall in Europe
  • Grand Sport Collector Edition available later in model year

GENEVA – With Corvette Racing in its DNA, the all-new 2017 Corvette Grand Sport is a pure expression of the car’s motorsports-bred pedigree. It was introduced today at the Geneva International Motor Show.

Like the 2015 Le Mans-winning Corvette C7.R GTE Pro race car, the new Grand Sport combines a lightweight architecture, a track-honed aerodynamics package, Michelin tires and a naturally aspirated engine.

The 2017 Corvette Grand Sport offers an estimated 1.05g in cornering capability – and up to 1.2g with the available Z07 package.

Heritage-inspired design cues and exclusive features acknowledge the historic Grand Sport legacy, established in 1963 to take on the world’s best sports cars. Only five were built before a corporate decision suspending direct motorsports involvement ended the project.

“Racing has been part of Corvette’s essence for more than 50 years and that track experience has helped us build better, more capable cars,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president of Global Product Development and Global Purchasing and Supply Chain. “The global acclaim for the seventh-generation Corvette validates that direct link and the 2017 Grand Sport takes its track-bred technology to a new, exciting threshold.”

The Corvette Grand Sport coupe and convertible go on sale this summer in the U.S. and in the fall in Europe.

No holding back

Engineers adapted the chassis tuning, upgraded cooling systems, and performance technologies of the Corvette Z06 to give the new Grand Sport capability commensurate with its racing-derived history.

“We didn’t hold back with the new Grand Sport,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. “For the first time, buyers can equip the Grand Sport with a Z07 performance package – which adds carbon-ceramic brakes, Michelin Sport Cup 2 summer tires, and carbon-fiber aero package that delivers true downforce.”

The result is a potent track car. In fact, the Grand Sport with the Z07 package is less than one second off the track record for the previous-generation Corvette ZR1 on the road course at GM’s Milford Proving Ground.

Content highlights for Grand Sport include:

• Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires: 285/30ZR19 (front) and 335/25ZR20 (rear)
  • Specific Grand Sport wheel design: 19x10 inches (front) and 20x12 inches (rear)
  • Brembo brake system with (355 mm) 14-inch rotors and six-piston calipers in front and (340 mm) 13.4 inch rotors and four-piston calipers in the rear
  • Standard magnetic ride control, specific stabilizer bars and unique springs
  • Standard electronic limited-slip differential
  • LT1 V8 engine rated at (343 kW) 460 hp, with dry-sump oiling system and active exhaust
  • Seven-speed manual transmission with active rev match and available eight-speed paddle-shift automatic with specific performance calibration

Available Z07 package adds carbon ceramic-matrix brakes and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Cup tires.
In addition to track-focused aero elements, the Grand Sport also features specific front fender inserts, a Z06-style grille and wider rear fenders – a distinctive design package that gives the car a track-ready attitude.

Grand Sport models are offered with the Stingray’s full exterior and interior color palette. An available Heritage package includes hash-mark fender graphics in six colors, with the hash-mark detail carried onto the interior’s brushed aluminum trim. Full-length stripes are also offered.

“The choices are almost endless,” said Harlan Charles, Corvette product marketing manager. “The packages take personalization to an unprecedented level, enabling customers to create their own Corvette Grand Sport statement like no other.”

Grand Sport Collector Edition

The Grand Sport Collector Edition features an exclusive Watkins Glen Gray Metallic exterior with Tension Blue hash-mark graphics, satin black full-length stripes, black wheels and a unique Tension Blue full leather and suede-wrapped interior.

The Tension Blue color is a bold, modern take on the hue historically associated with the Grand Sport. Inside, a three-dimensional representation of an original Grand Sport race car is embossed in the headrests and that shape is also used on an instrument panel plaque that carries a unique build sequence number.

The Collector Edition will be offered later in the model year in the U.S. and Europe.

View full article

I am plesantly surprised, I love the color, the blue accent both inside and out. The dash layout is very good for the driver. I am liking this corvette.

Now if GM would just build a new SS AWD Sports SUV/CUV on this like they did with the Trailblazer. :D

It is interesting to see how GM/Chevrolet is being incremental in their release of Corvette models for C7. 

There were eight models at the peak of the C6 generation; Coupe, Convertible, Grand Sport, Grand Sport Convertible, Z06, 60th Anniversary Corvette Convertible (de facto Z06 drop top?), Z06 Carbon, and the ZR1.

Now the C7 has the coupe, convertible, Z06, Z06 convertible, Grand Sport, and Grand Sport Convertible.

This should keep the demand for new sales high and the resale value steady.

Is the ZR1 next?

I think the Camaro SS 1LE will be very close to this car in performance.

Let's all digest that for a moment.

I think the appeal of a Corvette - to me is really reduced because you can get a coupe in the same showroom, with a lot of the same tech, better daily driving, for a whole lot less.

So, how do they resolve this? Charge maybe $65-68K for this base. That's my estimate of the starting MSRP.

Seeing as how this car has a roughly 10% advantage in power to weight, more forward gears in manual form, and available carbon ceramic brakes/Z07 aero package, I'm fairly confident in saying it will put the 1LE in its rearview mirror pretty quickly.

I dig it, especially in the dark grey and blue. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is how it will look like a Z06 to most and even us from a driving distance. I don't like the foolery with that but other than that, great car. 

Well, without all of the extra goodies that will jack the price up, I think it will be competitive performance-wise to the 1LE. I mean before you add additional downforce and carbon brakes it loses huge advantages of braking late and being able to hold more speed EVERYWHERE with additional downforce. Not to say it would ever lose on a track to a 1LE but that it would be fairly close w/o the aero and carbon brake package. 

I think the appeal of a Corvette - to me is really reduced because you can get a coupe in the same showroom, with a lot of the same tech, better daily driving, for a whole lot less.

So, how do they resolve this? Charge maybe $65-68K for this base. That's my estimate of the starting MSRP.

No it won't.

• Agree 1

Outstanding. THIS is the C7 to have.

The widebody alone makes it worth buying (it's why I bought my GS). The fact that you can now get it with carbon ceramics and the Z07 package is even crazier, although the Z07 setup will make it the slowest Corvette in a straight line.

Still, you figure that an iron-brake Z07 GS will ring in around, what, maybe 70 grand? And it'll do 1.2g? And it'll be able to put the power to the ground as easy as a Stingray?

Lotsa wow there, fer sure

And yet you FERVENTLY disagreed with me when I pointed out the same problem with the new Fusion Sport and MKZ, despite the Corvette having far greater differentiation in equipment and appeal from a Camaro.

• Agree 1

And yet you FERVENTLY disagreed with me when I pointed out the same problem with the new Fusion Sport and MKZ, despite the Corvette having far greater differentiation in equipment and appeal from a Camaro.

I'm not talking about the product stealing sales though. The appeal does not translate to sales. 

And these are performance cars. I want the Corvette to become a high priced non commodity sports car. An exotic priced like it should be. Again, I want the Z06 to be $100k base price.

Lose the volume, but increase the price, and start nickel and diming for options too. GM can make a lot of money. A ton of money. The Camaro can be the value proposition that the Corvette had in the past.

I don't expect Lincoln to be fielding race cars in the GTE class for Le Mans either. 

And I will disagree, but nor will I make this a thread about a luxury car maker when it's about true performance cars.

The summary of my argument is that GM can win even more by squeezing all the juice from the wallets - and I want GM to win. They might not have as much volume, but damn. The Corvette, like the Escalade can be something that directly contributes like $20,000 for every sales directly to the bank.

Having owned both a Zeta Camaro and a C6 Vette, I can (and have) spoken from first-hand experience: they are vastly different cars that are not cross-shopped very much, if at all.

Exactly.

So, the one thing to do is to move the Corvette to Jaguar F-Type and Porsche 911 pricing schemes, because largely, the performance gap is closing.

This doesn't need to happen now...but the C8 can be a real vehicle of brand prestige and price increases,

Why?

What kind of beef do you have against (upper, admittedly) middle-class folks owning a world-class sportscar?

Power to the people, man.

The Camaro now gives power to the people.

The Corvette doesn't need to anymore. atleast not as much. Here, the they could keep the C7 like a Corvette Classic or something, only available as a GS or above when the C8 comes within a decade, and yeah man...

Power to the people?! Hell, no get the money first. Always get the money first. Don't get customers. Get paid.

GM could raise the prices of both the Camaro and Corvette by 10k and 20k respectively in ILE and GS, Z06 trims and they'd still have the best performance to price ratios in the entire industry.

So, the value pricing hurts them, not because it's not like they're not making money. But that loss of even more money is given back to the customers. Why?! They're loyal, so take it back. Make more money. 

It's like squeezing an orange. Get every last drop. 

• Agree 1

No.

The Camaro is CHOICE for the people. It's icing on the cake.

If the Corvette wasn't a moneymaker for GM it wouldn't exist. And as further proof of it's successful performance/price strategy, just look at some of the nameplates it's outlasted, even over the last three generations. 300ZX, RX-7, Stealth/3000GT, Viper (soon), 928, 968...

Perhaps it would be better for the competition if they were the ones doing the following.

No.

The Camaro is CHOICE for the people. It's icing on the cake.

If the Corvette wasn't a moneymaker for GM it wouldn't exist. And as further proof of it's successful performance/price strategy, just look at some of the nameplates it's outlasted, even over the last three generations. 300ZX, RX-7, Stealth/3000GT, Viper (soon), 928, 968...

Perhaps it would be better for the competition if they were the ones doing the following.

The dream of every marketer is to charge more for a product if it has intangible value that you can quantify and deliver to the customer.

Valid point, longevity is nice...

But the products are so improved, that to question their longevity now is a laughing affair.

We're on the same side. Democrats, Reuplicans.

I'm being Republican. GM you're winning, but you can win more - make more money. Yes. Squeeze, drink it up, taste the succulent wallets, leave no stone unturned.

(Playing in my mind is the sound of a sizzling steak)

It's the only recipe that has succeeded. And it has done so by using amazing economies of scale with drivetrains. Porsche doesn't have that. Dodge doesn't have that. Certainly the Italians don't have that.

Dead brands don't make dollars.

Edited by El Kabong