Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2015 200 Limited rental review.

Well, had to go with my brother to pick up his car at the dealership Wed and he got a rental car to take us down.  They had originally given him an Impala Limited, but he had been trying to get a new 200 for about a year.  They told him they were detailing it and he could trade the next morning.  

Basics:  2015 200 limited.  39000 rental miles.

It was pretty basic in features by today's standards but still had a backup camera and power driver's seat. 

Exterior:  Even in basic white in the basic model the 200 is still a striking car.  I love all the detailing, he LED running lights, and especially the rear stling

Interior:  I really liked the interior.  It was very pleasing to look at and all the controls just fell into place.  The turn knob shifter was a non-issue and I was adapted to it by the second time using it.  It was a nice 2 tone color, dark upper/light lower.  I LOVE the seats FCA use in their cars.  They are not overly padded and are shaped perfectly to prevent long distance fatigue and to provide long term comfort.  I love all the storage cubbies.  The storage beneath the center console is very convenient and a rubber pad to prevent items from sliding.  The dual center console is huge!  Basically there is a rear one with a hinged door and a front one under the sliding cupholders.  The cupholders were very nice and "grabbed" your drink o hold it into place.  They had no problem holding my 52 ounce diet Mtn Dew in place.  Even with the front seats in place for my 6.0 ft frame and my brother's 6 ft 2 fram there was still decent legroom left in the rear.  The trunk was a good size too with a nice flat load floor.    My only gripes were that there is an odd seam at the front of the center console and dash and the fact the touchscreen seems to need ou to hit the buttons a few times every now and then to respond.  I have used the same system and have never had this problem before so I think it probably just a matter of all the rental use and it felt like it may have had a film on it from whatever cleaner they used.  I also don't like the fact they used conventional hinges instead of space-saver ones. 

Ride/Handling:  Surprisingly the structure was very solid with not a single squeak or rattle, even after 40k miles of rental abuse.  The handling was flat and secure and the ride was good.  You heard potholes instead of feeling them.  The braking was very good, though the pedal seemed a little touchy.  Overall a very enjoyable car to drive. 

Engine and transmission:  I was VERY surprised here, especially with all the carp some people give the Tigershark/9 speed auto combo.  The engine provided plenty of power for accelerating and passing.  It was not tomb quiet, but was not harsh or overly loud either.  Nothing special, but nothing bad either.  The transmission surprised me.  Shifts were smooth and when called upon downshifts happened in a quick direct order.  It did not hunt climbing hills or grades and always kept the engine in it's powerband.  Overall I was very surprised and whether they just found the right tune, or this was a just a good trans in this car, it felt every bit as adept as the ZF 8 speed in his A5 (which i drove back). 

Finally fe:  On our way back we decided to have a little contest to see who could get better FE in their vehicle.  Note that we were both using fuel computers, so I make no guarantees on the accuracy. 

On the Freeway at 80 or so both pulling around 31-32 MPG.  the difference showed up once we hit stop and go traffic.  Once all was said and done I had averaged 31.3 in A5 and he had averaged 28.8 in the 200. 

Overall:  the 200 is a very nice piece and should on he shopping list of anyone looking in this segment.  I of course would want the V6/AWD S model, but for basic transportation the limited is just fine.  I took a bunch of pics and will try to get them added in a day or so if anyone is interested.   Also, there may be some grammatical mistakes because I am not proofreading this right now, will get to that later.

If you made it through this, thanks for reading!

Very sweet write up. In thinking about the auto, other than the nav and the seem on the dash and the regular hinges, anything else stick out as a wish they had done this better?

Agree with you that the V6 AWD would be the best version to get IMHO.

Look forward to the pictures.

nice write up.  I find the 200 appealing for many of the reasons you said.  The v6 AWD combo would be a rock star i believe.

Agreed.  The S V6/AWD is a top contender for my next vehicle along with the Cherokee Trailhawk and Colorado Z71.

I'm surprised you didn't find anything you didn't like about it..  :scratchchin:

Hey now, i named a few things lol.  It is a really good car though.

Very sweet write up. In thinking about the auto, other than the nav and the seem on the dash and the regular hinges, anything else stick out as a wish they had done this better?

Agree with you that the V6 AWD would be the best version to get IMHO.

Look forward to the pictures.

The tires.  very noisy on the interstate.  Also, I redundant controls, but an odd omission was one of the climate controls, think it may have been temo or fan speed that doesn't have a redundant button. 

nice write up.  I find the 200 appealing for many of the reasons you said.  The v6 AWD combo would be a rock star i believe.

Agreed.  The S V6/AWD is a top contender for my next vehicle along with the Cherokee Trailhawk and Colorado Z71.

I'm surprised you didn't find anything you didn't like about it..  :scratchchin:

Haha just messin, I really do like the looks of the 200 and it sounds like when it is mated to the v6 the 9spd is a great combination as well.

Are you looking to buy for yourself soon? I dig the Cherokee, it just wasn't in my price range when I was buying. They were a too new still. 

It really sucks our brothers Audi is a hunk of $h!.. It sounds like a really frustrating situation to be dealing with. I know I would be willing to part ways with it as quick as I could. 

Edited by ccap41

Haha just messin, I really do like the looks of the 200 and it sounds like when it is mated to the v6 the 9spd is a great combination as well.

Are you looking to buy for yourself soon? I dig the Cherokee, it just wasn't in my price range when I was buying. They were a too new still. 

Within the next 12 months hopefully.  Won't be new, but low mileage used.  As you can see with my main choices I am really in the air on exactly what I want lol. 

lol I really like the "small" truck choices between the Taco and Canyonado. I just can't justify the cost and fuel cost because I know damn well I won't be utilizing it for what it is made for. 

Go Diesel if you do end up with a Canyonado, they are pretty darn efficient. Otherwise look at EV or Hybrid, there are plenty of choices that are pretty amazing.

lol I really like the "small" truck choices between the Taco and Canyonado. I just can't justify the cost and fuel cost because I know damn well I won't be utilizing it for what it is made for. 

Go Diesel if you do end up with a Canyonado, they are pretty darn efficient. Otherwise look at EV or Hybrid, there are plenty of choices that are pretty amazing.

There are EV or hybrid small trucks for sale?!?! ;) 

There are EV or hybrid small trucks for sale?!?! ;)

EV West can do it for you just like they did this awesome Ford Ranger.