What Would Buy Instead- Dodge Journey Edition

Awww yeah, we're getting practical in here this go 'round.

The fine gents over at C&D just got their hands on the Dodge Journey V6 AWD. Now, you might not have known they still built this thing. Hell, you could be forgiven for not being aware of, or fine tuning out, it's existence in the first place. But a hell of a lot of buyers find some reason to buy this thing, so let's see what you guys will decide to buy with your (imaginary) dollars.

Here's the test- http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-dodge-journey-v-6-awd-test-review

Base price is $27,590. As-tested it rang in at (hold your laughter) $34,660.

So you must spend at least $24,630, but no more than $38,130 on a NEW on sale vehicle of the same basic genre. So no sedans, trucks, etc. Keep it in the CUV/van/SUV realm.

Again, you have between $24,590 and $38,130 to spend.

Pics-

2016-dodge-journey-v-6-awd-test-review-c

2016-dodge-journey-crossroad-plus-inline

Anything that isn't a Dodge Journey. 

Okay but on a more serious note.. I believe my Escape is in this category and it had a tag of 35k.. well now that the MKC is out I think it'd rather have a marginally lesser optioned MKC still 2.0T and AWD but no pano moon roof because I don't use it anyway and some of the other high end goodies that I already don't have. I wish I could have gotten the 2.3T for the price but It started a few hundred bucks more or something. I went with a MKC, 2.0T, AWD, and the one step up equipment group that adds: 

• 18-inch Luster Nickel Painted Aluminum Wheel
  • LED Daytime Running Lamps
  • Power Folding Side Mirrors
  • Leather Seating Surfaces
  • Power Liftgate

I would want one of these two colors.. if not black. 

AEC42F71-D1DE-43A5-89DD-75F42A2CB3EB_zps

36D669AE-27A8-4202-B131-41EF69D78FAB_zps

470A3EA1-A266-4D86-9AFA-50A005352039_zps

There are some minivans that offer more value for less.

I might consider something like the new Pacifica.

But we gotta remember - this thing has a lot of incentives.

I'm pretty sure most people pay a good chunk below invoice for these.

So realistically, the price ceiling is like $35,000.

Probably a Kia Sedona Minivan. Or Pacifica.

Chrysler Pacifica, the 2017 Acadia, or a Ford Explorer at this price point.  Especially if you want 3 rows.  If a 2 Row vehicle is okay, a lower trim Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The Acadia and Explorer are not that well-equipped optioned at that price tho.

And Frisky...

The Dodge Journey... this is one of those vehicles that has perpetual incentives from the manufacturer. And lots of off-lease rentals depressing used values, which means I think this "would you rather" has distorted results...

Trying to account for the relevant range here...managerial accounting....fair market value...derp derp derp.

• Agree 1

i put quite a few miles back on a 2014 Journey v6 AWD SXT in a previous job and my like of the powertrain was what led to us partially getting the town and country van.  The Journey would pull some crazy good mpg sometimes.

It's decently roomy and stuff for the price, in fact for what you can buy them for they are a legit and possibly better option than the Equinox and Terrain.  More for your money than say, a CRv.  It is more of a mid sized feel and more solid on the road than a lot of the 'compacts'.

Not pretty to look at and i don't care for some of the ergonomics and radio / climate controls., and the steering is a bit off to me.....but i actually would endorse it if i knew a friend was looking at one and asked about it.

for the right price, i don't think you buy a loaded journey.  Keep off the options and get a good deal.

Its sort of the Impala Limited of CUV's to me, won't be worth much after you buy it, but you can buy it discounted and there will be a lot of them used for cheap.  I don't think in this case it makes it a bad vehicle.

This is one option I have been thinking of for my mom to replace her 2002 DTS.  I'd like to find her a good deal on a used SRX but anything she'd afford for that would have like 80,000 miles on it. A new Journey, or a year old one with like 15,000 miles would be all she would need really and she'd probably think it drives well.  She likes my aunt's Terrain but the Terrains with a v6 are not as good on gas as the Journeys.

Edited by regfootball

Man, I would've gone with the MKC, believe it or not, but I'm a little short of getting one how I'd have it. Back to the start.

Yeah I couldn't get it exactly how I'd like it because I'd definitely like the 2.3 and a few other things but that brings the price to nearly 45k. I think I would just really like a really nice version of what I have now which the way I built it would basically be that. 

Idk how anyone could pick an Outback. I absolutely despise them. I think I might rather have the Journey.

I don't despise them as much as a Journey but for some reason I've just never fell for them either. I've always liked the Impreza/WRX/STI but anything else Subaru I've just viewed kind of as..junk.. I know that isn't a fair assessment. I just don't view Subaru as anything special outside of the WRX, below average interiors, average or below fuel economy and performance, but they have superb AWD systems. Maybe I just don't live in the right area to need a superb AWD system matched to fuel economy and vehicle size...? 

I really liked the Crosstrek when it first came out as well. It added some style and flare to an otherwise boring company but it's just kind of sat w/o much updates and it has one lone gasoline engine making 148hp/145tq. 

Idk how anyone could pick an Outback. I absolutely despise them. I think I might rather have the Journey.

I don't despise them as much as a Journey but for some reason I've just never fell for them either. I've always liked the Impreza/WRX/STI but anything else Subaru I've just viewed kind of as..junk.. I know that isn't a fair assessment. I just don't view Subaru as anything special outside of the WRX, below average interiors, average or below fuel economy and performance, but they have superb AWD systems. Maybe I just don't live in the right area to need a superb AWD system matched to fuel economy and vehicle size...? 

I really liked the Crosstrek when it first came out as well. It added some style and flare to an otherwise boring company but it's just kind of sat w/o much updates and it has one lone gasoline engine making 148hp/145tq. 

The Outback is just awful to drive. They're reliable, but painfully boring and vanilla. The CVT trans is terrible, fuel mileage is mediocre at best, they're underpowered. The VX Crosstrek could be amazing with a WRX engine and 6MT. <_<