Mercedez Benz News Rumorpile: Mercedes Gives the Go-Ahead On A S-Class Four-Door Coupe

Mercedes-Benz wants to try and fill every little niche in the automotive marketplace. Case in point is doing a four-door coupe for the next-generation S-Class.

Expected to arrive sometime after the next-generation S-Class, due in 2020 or 2021, the S-Class four-door coupe will wear the SEC nameplate. This name hasn't been seen since 1993 when it was used for Mercedes' flagship coupe. Sources tell Car the SEC will use the mid-section of the long-wheelbase of the S-Class sedan paired with the front and rear end of the coupe. Expect alterations to make the various bits look coherent.

The obvious question is WHY?! The S-Class lineup is doing quite well for Mercedes in terms of sales. The past several years have seen over 100,000 S-Class models sold. The German automaker believes they can add more sales with another variant.

Source: Car Magazine

View full article

I say BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24 hours later when Cadillac announces no CT8, Mercedes picks up the pace, baby!

giphy.gif

Poor Cadillac.

No mojo. No ballz.

image001.jpg

This is Mercedes to Cadillac:

mojo.jpg

"And Im running away with it since the late 1970s.."

I don't think they need a 4-door coupe S-class, the Mercedes sedans are getting a bit more of a sloped rear window due to getting the drag coefficient down.  The 3-box look is pretty dead.  

CLS makes sense since there is a price gap between the E and S, and the E550 is gone, if the next gen CLS gets a V8 that is sort of the car for those that want a V8 E-class.  I hope there is never a C or S class 4 door coupe, they don't really need an extra body sales on a car.  But this is 5-6 years away, we'll see if they bother, the S-class is the chauffeur driven market king, a 4-door coupe does nothing for that.

Well...I  agree with you there SMK, about M-B not needing this S-Class 4 door Coupe and I too,  think M-B cars are getting uglier, some exceptions of course.

I did that post:

1. to have fun poking fun at Cadillac.

2. Although I like the new S Class, it does seem a tad bland to me, and since Cadillac aint gonna give me a car to drool over in this price range, it might as well be a Mercedes-Benz S-Class...but sportier and sleeker....something that the Cadillac CT8 would have been...so...Im all for a 4 door Coupe S-Class.

PS: I dont really like the S Class coupe.. :blush: 

Edited by oldshurst442

revenue revenue revenue, the Prime Directive of Daimler.

Can the crossover/GT S-class be right behind it?

I just don't think that fair on Mercedes.

Call the Mercedes Pretednz as BS, but this going to be nothing the same.

And yes they can pursue these lucrative oppurunities because they feel they can corner this segment.

Why American brands are so inept to not even try convince even the home market buyers that their potential ultra luxury ventures are on par with the leaders is all on Cadillac and Lincoln.

I think Mercedes will sell few units of these, but if they'll be building of the W222, the they'll have scale benefits.

I don't know.... but I do know that Cadillac has a superior chassis missing some eye-popping extravagance and first-rate interior from being the true Standard of the World. And then there's a rumour floating around that kind of car might be dead.

I don't know about you, but I want Cadillac to at least build a car that should be recognized as at least the ultimate competitor to the pinnacle of the world. They don't have to chase every niche. But top sedan or SUV, preferably both.

This is a $300,000+ Mercedes for sure. And compared to the initial Maybach's it's downright downmarket!!!

Mercedes also floats of a lot of rumors about what they are considering to gauge interest.  They also said they are thinking of a GLC convertible and a GLS coupe SUV.  How you make a coupe out of a 17 foot long SUV is beyond me.  But at any rate, they float ideas out there to see what sticks, before committing to anything.

Mercedes also floats of a lot of rumors about what they are considering to gauge interest.  They also said they are thinking of a GLC convertible and a GLS coupe SUV.  How you make a coupe out of a 17 foot long SUV is beyond me.  But at any rate, they float ideas out there to see what sticks, before committing to anything.

Which is the same tactic used by just about every other automaker.
  • Agree 1

Niches within niches...it's proven successful for MB so far, so no doubt Audi will have an A9 4dr coupe and BMW an 8 series 4dr coupe (an 8 and a 9 series are coming, I think I saw somewhere)?   The big 3 seem to match each other in nearly lock step..

Maybe they can think outside the box and do something truly different, like a shooting brake version of the AMG GT or SL, or a 2dr fastback coupe version of one of their SUVs, or a 4dr coupe Sprinter (low roof van w/ fastback roofline).  

(Edit: speaking of the SUV 2dr coupe idea, I recall Audi had a concept maybe 15 years ago of a coupe SUV that was really sharp, can't recall the details, though). 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Niches within niches...it's proven successful for them so far, so no doubt Audi will have an A9 4dr coupe and BMW an 8 series 4dr coupe (an 8 and a 9 series are coming, I think I saw somewhere)?  

Maybe they can think outside the box and do something truly different, like a shooting brake version of the AMG GT or SL, or a 2dr fastback coupe version of one of their SUVs, or a 4dr coupe Sprinter (low roof van w/ fastback roofline).  

Something along the lines of my thoughts as well. Out of the box would really work here....

Completely superfluous.

AND WE AGREE YET AGAIN. $h! is getting weird.  :scratchchin:

The goal of Mercedes seems to pretty much have a variation of every car type on the market in every market. Pretty much seems that they are moving their European strategy over to the U.S... probably recognizing that some Americans are inept mentally... and will buy anything that they think makes them look well off. I say let them continue with this.. and in another generation or so.. Mercedes will have over-saturated the market so much so that their vehicles will be at best on par with Honda.. in the eyes of the American buyer. Seriously.. how special or unique does one feel driving anything below the CLS? In fact... I would venture to say that the CLS and the S-Class COUPE are the only real Benzes that are truly aspirational at this point.. especially in terms of exclusivity