For the privileged: The S-Class Coupe Convertible Driven

It’s hard to imagine having a bank account fat enough to afford a $177,325 Mercedes-AMG S63 4Matic Cabriolet. It’s even harder trying to wrap your brain around the idea while cruising through Nice, France, and Monaco, where the sun tans beautiful jet-setters year round and where multimillion-dollar yachts and homes dot the coastline like salt on tortilla chips. (Yes, they’re everywhere.) But that’s exactly the scenario Mercedes-Benz presented media during the launch of the all-new $132,325 S550 Cabriolet (we drove S500 Cabs, though they’ll be badged S550 in the U.S.) and the aforementioned S63 Cab. And far be it for me to not give it the ol’ all-American try.

Read more at: http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-mercedes-benz-s-class-cabriolet-first-drive-review/

So.... Look at THAT:

2017-Mercedes-Benz-S500-cabriolet-310-87

Yes. Mercedes gets to build Mercedes Pretendz and this at the same thaaame....

I'm pretty sure it's this or a Bentley Continental GT Convertible or Rolls Royce Dawn or whatever that they make...

Now I'm not sure this is even a profitable car, but again they have something for everyone. And this car obviously delivers practically anything the competition has to offer for atleast half the price or even less. But it cannot offer the brand image of being British and being a barge.

Hey, I bet it's hundreds of pounds lighter than the competition... not that it matters. What I'm trying to say is that the mortals who actually can acquire these kinds of cars want their car to weigh more not less, and they want bespoke everything...

I guarantee that make profit on this car.  S-class is the Daimler gold mine.  I would have liked to see this car a bit longer and with the sedan grille.  I think it would have looked more imposing.  I feel like all S-classes, even the coupe should have the raised hood ornament, it just seems more old school and upper end.  You'll never see a Rolls with a grill logo, they put it on the hood like classic luxury of yore.

I will read the article tomorrow, the S65 convertible is $248,000, there is your profit margin, and these guys still make V12 monsters, which is great to see.

Such a shame they glued the same nose from their ratty $30K FWD sedan on this, it should have unique design for the price. How about something from one of MB's many concepts they never produce?

Rear end is hella bland, but they did one thing right: a flush trunk lid.

• Agree 1

WOW, talk about a bland looking auto. Nothing to inspire me as a luxury car. MB has NO MOJO in style anymore. Worse yet is the interiors are very questionable. Perfect example is look at that cheap little screen in the headrest on the white auto bove. 

Not only do these cars NOT have room for adults in the back seat, I doubt kids will be back there watching something on those tiny screens on a sunny day listening to it.

Wasted way to just charge money for something I doubt will ever get used but is a check off box for MB.

Such a shame they glued the same nose from their ratty $30K FWD sedan on this, it should have unique design for the price. How about something from one of MB's many concepts they never produce?

I was gonna say the same thing. ON the flip.. the S-Class Coupe sans teh front is the only Benz I would consider as attractive and mostly BECAUSE of the rear.

Such a shame that Cadillac does not have a full size convertible. The Ocean Drive concept showed the possibility of a full size convertible and Mercedes delivered one.

Such a shame that Cadillac does not have a full size convertible. The Ocean Drive concept showed the possibility of a full size convertible and Mercedes delivered one.

So then while you bash at Cadillac as always for not having one in the early years of rebuilding their image, you say nothing about a cheap ass nose put on the front end of an over priced bland auto!

When does MB need to start making a difference between their top of the line and the bottom of the line auto's in terms of looks / style?

WOW, talk about a bland looking auto. Nothing to inspire me as a luxury car. MB has NO MOJO in style anymore. Worse yet is the interiors are very questionable. Perfect example is look at that cheap little screen in the headrest on the white auto bove. 

Not only do these cars NOT have room for adults in the back seat, I doubt kids will be back there watching something on those tiny screens on a sunny day listening to it.

Wasted way to just charge money for something I doubt will ever get used but is a check off box for MB.

They are not video screens on the seat back, it is the air intake for Airscarf. I don't think they even offer back seat video screens on any of their 2 door cars.

When does MB need to start making a difference between their top of the line and the bottom of the line auto's in terms of looks / style?

Maybe Chevy should put the Spark's nose on the next generation Corvette.
They put the Camaro's nose on the Sonic. I actually don't love the S-class coupe grill, I think the sedan grille is better. I'd like to see the Maybach S600 front on the coupe and convertible.

Ocean Drive concept came out TEN YEARS ago.

And this isn't that; yet another concept car mercedes won't build.

Maybe Chevy should put the Spark's nose on the next generation Corvette.
They put the Camaro's nose on the Sonic. I actually don't love the S-class coupe grill, I think the sedan grille is better. I'd like to see the Maybach S600 front on the coupe and convertible.

You might want to put that pipe down because clearly they look NOTHING alike. Just sounds like you hate a dose of the truth. That CLA nose does not belong on a $175K+ S-Class ANYTHING. If this were about Cadillac, you would be having a field day with that fact. 

You cheated balty! Those are both S Class Convertibles! 

No they are not (unless you were being funny there).

CLA:

Mercedes-Benz-CLA250-front.jpg

S Class Coupe

2014-Mercedes-s-class-coupe-grille.jpg

They put the Camaro's nose on the Sonic. 

Let's take a look at this knucklehead claim :

2016-Chevy-Sonic-front.jpg

a3bb3e899043d875cbf6200d3154373d.jpg

Now; my claim that MB just recycles the same nose :

cla-45-amg-front.jpg?itok=GmY91OLC

2016-mercedes-s-class-con-8_600x0w.jpg

You cannot tell them apart without seeing the side/ reading the rear.

It's WEAK.

Bless his heart. He tried Balt but it is clear as day. The Camaro and Sonic don't share anything up front. Not even close when compare to the CLA vs. the S Class Coupe.

They are not video screens on the seat back, it is the air intake for Airscarf. I don't think they even offer back seat video screens on any of their 2 door cars.

OK, I can appreciate new tech, but having never heard of an Airscarf, what is it supposed to do? Cool the driver / riders neck?

I am being honest here, I have no idea what this is or the purpose as in the picture to me and yes I do wear glasses, it looks like a small video screen.

Appreciate the explanation. :)

Airscarf is offered on all Mercedes convertibles, came out a few years ago.  It blows hot air around the driver's neck and shoulders, so you can drive with the top down in cooler weather.  That combined with the AirCap spoiler thing on top of the wind shield and the wind diffuser behind the back seat, keeps you comfortable in all season.

Airscarf is built into the seat though, so it takes the air in from behind the seat and heats it and blows it out.  It isn't run off the car's HVAC system fans.

Lets get back to discuss how bland this convertible is.

Like I said about the coupe. I dont like the coupe, and I dont like the convertible.

Because they are too conservative.

With that being said. Maybe THIS car aint marketed towards testosterone abundundant, sexually charged hormonal teenaged males hocked up on steroids looking at playboy magazines instead of doing their homework. (Yes....I still view myself this way, although Im 43 years old, play pitch and catch with my daughter for a couple of hours and havent had sex in 3 months, because still happily married to the same woman for the last 13 years....)

Yeah, this car aint for me...but then again, a Trans Am convertible with all kinds of curves and nostrils and sex appeal...like this one:

FL0116-236875_1.jpg

aint for me either anymore....the T/A  is too much of a horn dog.

In other words....I dont know what the hell I want!

Actually almost all of the auto press is fine with how the CLA looks. That's not the issue.

It's just the way it drives. I'm okay with the way the CLA looks and damn well everyone in the luxury segment does this.

You have the same Audi R8 grille that shows up on the MQB based Audi TT.

Design sharing, especially that even Cadillac now subscribes to the one size fits all mentality, is a problem of the entire industry. 

Actually almost all of the auto press is fine with how the CLA looks.

I'm okay with the way the CLA looks and damn well everyone in the luxury segment does this.

You have the same Audi R8 grille that shows up on the MQB based Audi TT.

A 5-yr old would know these are 2 different cars :

02-rieger-a3-8v-audi-full-front-bumper.j

236055.jpg

No where near the identical appearance of the MB CLA & S.

Not the same thing, remotely.

• Agree 1

And how is the Audi A3 an Audi TT?

And the CLA is itself is meant to be a swoopy sedan not unlike the larger CLS. Which itself is another on of those cars that are meant to be a coupe. 

This is a Mercedes coupe. Non-paying, non existent customers are preaching to the choir. 

I fail to see this grille choice as deal-breaking issue. The grille itself is made of some precious stones and metal.

Making the front end of the CLA ugly won't help any.  I do wish the E-class had the split head light set up to make it different from the other model lines, or that the SL went back to 50's era round headlights, but this soft, homogenized look seems to work for their customer base and gives them broad appeal.  They have to have a styling theme that works in Germany, China, Middle East, USA, etc.

Aero plays another role, most Mercedes are around .24 drag coefficient, so the similar style is probably a push toward maximum aerodynamics, plus the pedestrian impact and crash standards, that make the shape of a lot of cars similar.

Edited by smk4565

And the CLA is itself is meant to be a swoopy sedan not unlike the larger CLS. Which itself is another on of those cars that are meant to be a coupe. 

This is a Mercedes coupe. Non-paying, non existent customers are preaching to the choir. 

I fail to see this grille choice as deal-breaking issue. The grille itself is made of some precious stones and metal.

An A3 isn't a TT, the comparison is between the entry-level model and one of the priciest.

AKA; CLA is to A3. A TT starts @ $44K.

Coupe, sedan, squashed sedan calling itself a 'coupe'… these are immaterial to my point of the same front fascia. The body behind the front fascia doesn't enter into it.

Audi does a much better job at model tier delineation than MB does.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

Lets get back to discuss how bland this convertible is.

Like I said about the coupe. I dont like the coupe, and I dont like the convertible.

Because they are too conservative.

With that being said. Maybe THIS car aint marketed towards testosterone abundundant, sexually charged hormonal teenaged males hocked up on steroids looking at playboy magazines instead of doing their homework. (Yes....I still view myself this way, although Im 43 years old, play pitch and catch with my daughter for a couple of hours and havent had sex in 3 months, because still happily married to the same woman for the last 13 years....)

Yeah, this car aint for me...but then again, a Trans Am convertible with all kinds of curves and nostrils and sex appeal...like this one:

FL0116-236875_1.jpg

aint for me either anymore....the T/A  is too much of a horn dog.

In other words....I dont know what the hell I want!

I love me some T/As but why'd they put Mustang wheels on that one?!? Although I do appreciate the "deep dish" rear wheels. I always wanted a set similar to put on my Mustangs. 

Well, those wheels are American Torque Thrust wheels.

A version of them.

Classic Muscle Car wheels.

69CamaroVN1055761VN10558061.jpg

Dodge_Charger_with_17in_American_Racing_

ar-torq-thrust-d-gray-machined-chevy-cor

torque_thrust_small.jpg

2008-ford-mustang-bullit-001.jpg

The Bullitt Mustang's...Ford used these from the factory, from 1968 to the 1990s and into the 2000s...

But as you could see, these wheels make any muscle car look good.

Just like Cragar SS wheels.

Or BBS mags for BMWs.

Edited by oldshurst442

Well, anybody could buy an American Torque Thrust wheel.

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/4604/torq-thrust

Many styles to choose from, including the style that was factory for the Mustang 99-04.

However, I do agree with you that the factory 5 spoke wheel the Trans Am came with looks much better.

But I dont dislike the Torque Thrust wheel on that Trans Am either.

I love the car, love the wheels.. but think they could both be matched better with different wheels and car.. just my opinion though. I actually came across one of those Anniversary(?) T/As the other day on AutoTrader. It was a coupe not a vert and still like 22-23k I believe. I love how those and the 03-04 Cobras just don't depreciate anymore. They hit like mid-low 20's and have been hanging around there for awhile. 

So because one is not a potential buyer of a Benz, they don't get to have a opinion on how their $175k car looks just like their $30k car? That's news to me.

Benz A-Class and B-Class have been sharing Benz grilles quite a while.

Again, I'm fine with grille sharing. And the CLA looks good. It just doesn't drive how it looks.

What is a wrong with a small car getting premium styling?  

The issue isn't that this new top of the line variant lacks the substance to back its looks. Now I think the front-end itself here is weaker. What SMK suggested - just using the regular S550 grille would have been more ostentatious, but it has precious gems and metal. 

And some nuances - the overall front ends are not exact carbon copies. The grille is the same, but everything else, be it headlights or front splitters are different. 

I can't see any reason to complain. This vehicle offers everything and more its competitors costing 3 times as much and weighing hundreds of pounds more do. And the interior is exceptionally-made.

Do I like it? No.

Still waiting on El Mi Ciel....

Go look at the pics again. It's like Daimler was trying to make them as similar as possible from the front, and just jiggled a few lines. Like they had an hour to finalize the Scoupe's nose. I can't think of another brand that intentionally makes the buyers of $100K models look like they're driving a $30K model.

It's not the styling per say, it's that they look so staggeringly identical coming at you.

• Agree 1

Again, I'm fine with grille sharing. And the CLA looks good. It just doesn't drive how it looks.

The issue isn't that this new top of the line variant lacks the substance to back its looks. Now I think the front-end itself here is weaker. What SMK suggested - just using the regular S550 grille would have been more ostentatious, but it has precious gems and metal. 

And some nuances - the overall front ends are not exact carbon copies. The grille is the same, but everything else, be it headlights or front splitters are different. 

I can't see any reason to complain. This vehicle offers everything and more its competitors costing 3 times as much and weighing hundreds of pounds more do. And the interior is exceptionally-made.

Do I like it? No.

. See. There's the problem. You think it's of a case of a small car getting premium styling when there is

A. Nothing premium about a $30K Mercedes

And

B. It's a case of the newer $175k S Class coupe using the same nose as a $30k Mercedes. I understand family unity and all but a car in this price range can afford to look more distinguished than that.

• Agree 1

Do I like it? No.

. See. There's the problem. You think it's of a case of a small car getting premium styling when there is

A. Nothing premium about a $30K Mercedes

And

B. It's a case of the newer $175k S Class coupe using the same nose as a $30k Mercedes. I understand family unity and all but a car in this price range can afford to look more distinguished than that.

I agree but I think Benz is viewing it as, "Our little 30k car looks similar to our flagship." And not, "our flagship looks like our econobox." 

In my opinion, this is how they are pulling 30-40k out of the CLA. 

They obviously WANT it to look the same, it probably helps CLA and C class sales as they all look like baby S Classes now and probably 99% of the people buying CLAs and C Classes will never be able to afford an S Class..now they have a baby version. I don't hate it..I don't like it.. but I understand why they are doing it..

So then you will have those that are all about the badge saying why should I get the higher end versions when it looks like the cheap CLA? Saving money, I am driving an MB.

Those in the 100K class and above are probably not ever looking at the low end models and could care less.

• Agree 3

So then you will have those that are all about the badge saying why should I get the higher end versions when it looks like the cheap CLA? Saving money, I am driving an MB.

Those in the 100K class and above are probably not ever looking at the low end models and could care less.

Does the car look good on it's own? My opinion - not really. But I have poor taste in luxury vehicles.

Given the money, I'd beg for a CT6 coupe and pocket the $50-70k less it'd cost...

• Agree 1

Does the car look good on it's own? My opinion - not really. But I have poor taste in luxury vehicles.

Given the money, I'd beg for a CT6 coupe and pocket the $50-70k less it'd cost...

+1 I would totally agree with you on that. I think the S class is totally over valued.