Ford F-150 stands alone in 'good' result on IIHS crash test. Ram 1500s are worst-performing pickups on small-front overlap test.

Ford has gained a big advantage in one of the most competitive segments in the auto industry.

The company's F-150 SuperCab was the only one of nine pickup trucks tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety to earn a "good" rating on an influential new crash test. The vehicle joins its SuperCrew sibling as the only large pickups to earn the organization's "Top Safety Pick" award when equipped with a collision warning system.

"Ford is leading the way among large pickup manufacturers when it comes to protecting people in a range of crashes and offering technology to warn drivers of imminent frontal crashes," said Raul Arbelaez, vice president of the IIHS Vehicle Research Center.

This is the first time the overall pickup class has been put through the new small-front overlap test, which evaluates how vehicles withstand crashes in which their front quarters strike a fixed object. Except for the F-150, all the pickups allowed moderate to severe intrusion of vehicle structure into the cabin, putting occupants at risk for injuries.

Read more and view pictures at provided links.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/12/ford-f-150-pickup-crash-test-iihs/

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/04/2016-ford-f-150-named-iihs-top-safety-pick.html

The lightest truck, F-150,  is the safest truck and highest ratings!

The heaviest truck, Ram 1500,  is the least safe truck with by far the poorest rating. Granted the Ram is the most dated truck, but it goes to show how far more advanced the F-150 is.

Hail the King, the F-150!  :gitfunky:  

Ram, bow your head in shame  :(

• Disagree 1

The Tundra looked pretty bad as well. Neither would i choose to sit in for an accident. 

Sadly, I still won't consider these crash tests when looking for a new vehicle. Until I have a child, I honestly..just don't care..

It was a very important factor when I bought my Volvo, because the wreck I was in with the Ranger made me think safety first and foremost.

Didn't care about it over bit when I bought the Miata. It was too much fun! But in the real world Miatas have been holding up VERY well in accidents.

I think the firewall on the F150 is still steel. I could be wrong though. I think that was one of the few areas that steel just worked best. 

No you're not wrong.

" The steel firewall, by the way, is used because steel has optimal noise, vibration, and harshness–quelling characteristics. "

http://blog.caranddriver.com/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-2015-ford-f-150/

I think the firewall on the F150 is still steel. I could be wrong though. I think that was one of the few areas that steel just worked best. 

No you're not wrong.

" The steel firewall, by the way, is used because steel has optimal noise, vibration, and harshness–quelling characteristics. "

http://blog.caranddriver.com/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-2015-ford-f-150/

Which seems odd because I thought that was one of the benefits to aluminum was the thicker guage being used also did a better job of insulating.. I must be wrong there then lol 

Ford has done good.

But it aint surprising.

Ford, knowing that its competitors will try to use any angle they can to dismiss an alumimium F-150 probably did millions upon millions of hours of computer crast test simulations to achieve this.

Well done Ford.

FOR SHAME, General Motors....FOR SHAME!!!!

Especially since GM will be going aluminium for its Silverado/Sierra...

Ill NEVER forgive GM for this stupidity....the stupidity of making fun of Ford, then copying Ford...

AND THEN LOSING THE CRASH TEST RATINGS TO AN ALUMINIUM TRUCK!

So much for protecting yourself in a bear attack in a Silverado.

Ill take the Built Ford Tough F-150 please!

builtfordtough.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

Aluminum is stronger than steel, so this makes sense.  Kudos to Ford for taking the gamble on making the F150 aluminum, cutting the weight, going with turbo V6s, etc.  They are trying to move toward the future and keep the F150 compliant with crash regs and the coming CAFE hurdles.

• Agree 1

Ram folded easier than French Soldiers.

:rofl:

I took away a positive vote...I downvoted....

Why?

Other than WW2, French Soldiers over the course of modern history have been a very strong formidable force.

I believe, the French Armies have been the armed forces that have seen the most battles in the modern era and I also think that the French Armies are the forces that have had the most successes and victories....

I may have to do research to back up my claims, something tells me Im right on both accounts though...

So...I took offense by that comment....

Im sick and tired by fellow Canadians and some Americans continually making fun of the French Forces...

If one took the time to read history, one would not laugh so hard at the French Armies...

Takes balls to attempt this...and the French NEVER hesitated to protect itself...

I see the Russian Armies and the Israeli Armies doing this, nobody else....no Canadian or American....

except Ford "corrects" poor crash performance with STEEL reinforcements. . . 

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150729/OEM11/150729843/new-test-shows-disparities-in-ford-f-150-crash-protection

"IIHS says it comes down to four protective steel bars that Ford installed on the SuperCrew that are left off the SuperCab. The tubular bars, welded to the frame and placed in the front wheel wells, also are missing from regular cab F-150s."

So the correction was to do the same thing they did to the SuperCrew. 

They must have thought the smaller configurations would weigh enough less that they wouldn't be necessary. That's why they have these tests. Good thing they corrected it and brought the safety of not just the SCrew but of the smaller cabs up to a high standard.

Ram folded easier than French Soldiers.

:rofl:

I took away a positive vote...I downvoted....

Why?

Other than WW2, French Soldiers over the course of modern history have been a very strong formidable force.

I believe, the French Armies have been the armed forces that have seen the most battles in the modern era and I also think that the French Armies are the forces that have had the most successes and victories....

I may have to do research to back up my claims, something tells me Im right on both accounts though...

So...I took offense by that comment....

Im sick and tired by fellow Canadians and some Americans continually making fun of the French Forces...

If one took the time to read history, one would not laugh so hard at the French Armies...

Takes balls to attempt this...and the French NEVER hesitated to protect itself...

I see the Russian Armies and the Israeli Armies doing this, nobody else....no Canadian or American....

Its a modified Simpsons line from the " The Blunder Years ".

Lenny, as a kid, was standing on the edge of the old quarry and was about to jump in. He looks down and says....

" I'm shaking like a French soldier ".

• Disagree 1

Exactly. Mr. FordCosworth....

Like I said...

The Simpsons...an American cartoon TV show...

Its all in good fun....for a cheap laugh, I get it....

HA! HA! HA!

OK....now that we laughed out loud ("LOL" in youth internet/phone texting speak)

Does the youtube link look like that particular French Special Ops Force was shaking and/or surrendering?

No....no it doesnt.....

To boot, that hostage take-down happened in 1994...at the height of The Simpsons popularity....

So....

While I get the fact that its satire....I do it myself countless of times...

I only downvoted you because I saw you had 2 upvotes....and I did not agree with that....I originally ignored that post...so I felt like correcting a misconception....

After all, I sometimes get downvoted for that kind of stuff from folks around here....

At least I did not hide from it....AND I gave an explanation to why I downvoted...

• Agree 1

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150729/OEM11/150729843/new-test-shows-disparities-in-ford-f-150-crash-protection

"IIHS says it comes down to four protective steel bars that Ford installed on the SuperCrew that are left off the SuperCab. The tubular bars, welded to the frame and placed in the front wheel wells, also are missing from regular cab F-150s."

They must have thought the smaller configurations would weigh enough less that they wouldn't be necessary. That's why they have these tests. Good thing they corrected it and brought the safety of not just the SCrew but of the smaller cabs up to a high standard.

exactly. people keep crowing about how strong the aluminum Ford is, when really steel came to the rescue. what exactly IS military grade, anyhow?

Anytime a truck is hurtling into some object I think the object will always be worse off...

I think the tough part is that sometimes you have a huge engine causing intrusion.

I would think the Chevy Small Blocks and steel would make for a safer design. Ah well.

I guess going to aluminum will fix it.

I always thought that stupid bear commercial by Chevy was extremely stupid. Speaking out of both ears basically.

• Agree 1

exactly. people keep crowing about how strong the aluminum Ford is, when really steel came to the rescue. what exactly IS military grade, anyhow?

"By now, you have undoubtedly heard that the 2015 Ford F-150 is constructed with a high-strength steel frame and military grade aluminum alloy body, but what is military grade aluminum exactly? Well, aluminum on its own is not the strongest of metals so it has to be combined with other metals to produce an alloy. The new F-150 is primarily built from 6,000 series aluminum alloy, the strength of which is increased by heat-treating after it is formed. By using different alloy mixtures and heat treating them, the Ford engineers have made actually the aluminum even stronger than the steel that it is replacing"

http://www.muziford.com/2015-F-150/why-the-aluminum-f150-is-better-than-its-steel-counterpart.htm

• Agree 1

:palm:

in that case why did they have to go back to the drawing board and add steel tubing? why not more aluminum? why need to add anything at all?

Read post #16.

They did not "go back to the drawing board". 

Why not more aluminum? Maybe cost vs advantage said, "aluminum isn't worth it on this piece". 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

in that case why did they have to go back to the drawing board and add steel tubing? why not more aluminum? why need to add anything at all?

Read post #16.

Why not more aluminum? Maybe cost vs advantage said, "aluminum isn't worth it on this piece". 

And the " added steel tubing " , if made of aluminum, cannot be welded to the High Strength Steel Chassis 

• Agree 1

Read post #16.

And the " added steel tubing " , if made of aluminum, cannot be welded to the High Strength Steel Chassis 

Very good call. 

• Agree 1

Did you even READ the article? I agree that you cannot easily weld aluminum to steel, so I get that. But they DID go back to the drawing board after finding the trucks NEEDED these extra protective bars. And since the single cab does not have these extra bars, I am curious how it compares to the single cab Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota...

• Agree 1

Did you even READ the article? I agree that you cannot easily weld aluminum to steel, so I get that. But they DID go back to the drawing board after finding the trucks NEEDED these extra protective bars. And since the single cab does not have these extra bars, I am curious how it compares to the single cab Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota...

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/class-summary/large-pickups

None of the single cabs are listed though. But all of the smaller cab configurations do have a worse rating as well. I have to assume they are all doing a similar thing with less bracing(of some sort) for the smaller, lighter cabs.

Over at IIHS, weights as tested are available on the website in the technical data of this test.

To keep things as even as possible, the trucks are optioned as closely as possible.

The Ford comes in at 497lbs LESS than the Chevy.

Do you have a link? Maybe I just suck at searching..lol 

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/class-summary/large-pickups

None of the single cabs are listed though. But all of the smaller cab configurations do have a worse rating as well. I have to assume they are all doing a similar thing with less bracing(of some sort) for the smaller, lighter cabs.

Over at IIHS, weights as tested are available on the website in the technical data of this test.

To keep things as even as possible, the trucks are optioned as closely as possible.

The Ford comes in at 497lbs LESS than the Chevy.

Do you have a link? Maybe I just suck at searching..lol 

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/51/4/1

Click on the truck name. Next click on the " print full report for this vehicle "

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/f-150-crew-cab-pickup/2016?print-view

Tested vehicle 2015 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 2wd

Weight 4,662 lbs.

Side airbags front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags

Wheelbase 145 in.

Length 232 in.

Width 80 in.

Engine 3.5 L turbocharged V6

EPA ratings 17 mpg city / 24 mpg highway

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/chevrolet/silverado-1500-extended-cab-pickup/2016?print-view

Tested vehicle specifications

Tested vehicle 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Double Cab 2wd

Weight 5,152 lbs.

Side airbags front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags

Wheelbase 144 in.

Length 230 in.

Width 80 in.

Engine 5.3 L V8

EPA ratings 16 mpg city / 23 mpg highway

Edited by FordCosworth

http://wardsauto.com/technology/aluminum-f-150-garners-more-safety-kudos

"Additional development work was required to add the same protection in ’16 SuperCab and Regular Cab trucks, Levine says. Blocker bars in the ’16 Regular Cab should give it similar crashworthiness, however the IIHS did not test that model and did not issue a rating for it. "

http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/04/2016-ford-f-150-bests-competition-and-is-the-only-pickup-to-get-iihs-top-safety-pick-rating-safety/

" All three cab styles of the 2016 Ford F-150 have been designed to perform well during small overlap front crash tests. The regular cab and Super Cab models received: wheel blockers, nylon hinge pillar reinforcements and rocker panel reinforcements. "

Reading these excerpts, ALL 2016 F-150s utilize wheel blockers now.

Wonder if you do end up in this type of accident and those bars bend, crack, etc. how can an owner verify that they really did fix it back to OEM spec. I know there are some body shops I would never take my auto too because of the shortcuts they have done and that even includes insurance approved places.

Wonder if you do end up in this type of accident and those bars bend, crack, etc. how can an owner verify that they really did fix it back to OEM spec. I know there are some body shops I would never take my auto too because of the shortcuts they have done and that even includes insurance approved places.

I guess I just assumed it was just every 2016 off the line was build with the additional reinforcements and 2015s weren't fixed or anything because they still passed the tests, just not with flying colors lol.