What Would You Buy Instead- V6 Camaro Edition

C&D has what I believe is the first test of a manual V6 Camaro up. It's a rather glowing review- http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-chevrolet-camaro-lt-rs-v-6-test-review.

I decided this would be a great car to use for a new 'WWYBI' piece. 

Base price- $30,140

As-tested- $35,150

Range to spend- $27,125-38,665

As always, you have the price range allotted above to spend on a similar car that is new, and on sale now. Must use MSRP. 

Must spend at least $27,125. Cannot spend more than $38,665.

Bet you never saw this coming-

2016_ford_mustang_gt_premium_guard_metal

Built a new GT Premium out to $38,590. 6MT w/ 20" wheels and no PP. I thought about the standard SS, but similar money gets heated/cooled leather in the GT, and I think it's the better looking car. Plus, the Guard Green is just gorgeous, and is going away after this year.

• Agree 1

I try to keep as close to the original segment as possible just to diversify my choices from one thread to the next, but I suppose.

In the real world, if I were spending 38K on a car to fulfill anywhere near the same purposes- fun, fast, usable daily- I'm buying a Golf R w/out question.

Oh boy....

This is tough.

Because as a family guy, a 2 door sports coupe is NOT on the radar.

As a toy...then maybe even a V6 might not even fly.

Or it might, but not as a Camaro.

Or I might even do 4 cylinder Camaro or Mustang...or...Subaru BRZ with a boxer 6....

OK...

Pony Cars....

I went on the Dodge USA website and it tells me that a Challenger R/T starts at $35 000.  Scat Pack R/T Shaker at $38 995.

It dont matter what trim I get, it means that a HEMI R/T Challenger fits in....so its that!

interior-2017-dodge-scat-pack-colors.jpg

And if a V8 is out of the question because of gas prices are high or what not...

And Im looking for a 2 door sport coupe of some sorts to compensate me for a divorce and/or mid life crisis...and I wouldnt care for back seat space as much....then a Cadillac ATS 2.0T is how I would go.

MSRP at 37 000 and change...

2016-Cadillac-ATS-Coupe-067-652x435.jpg

If this is going to be my second vehicle and therefore more of a toy... Mustang GT, not premium, with the PP and I think that might have been all that I added. Oh, I think I added the cloth Recaros as well. 

EC49F8E5-9DBD-418F-BCA0-ACE7BE3AC10B_zps

84B10AFA-AA55-4894-AC05-09870A042E17_zps

If this were to replace my daily.. it would easily be between one of these two: Golf R and Focus RS.

D3217BF4-A505-4C93-AFD1-A470C50213AE_zps

0F894433-5B02-4ECA-AC7D-9B2B1B51688C_zps

It would really just depend on the test drive because I love them both. The looks leans towards the Focus, interior Golf, performance, both are plenty quick even if they are 2-3 tenths of a second apart in whatever the race is. 

I couldn't get the blue that I wanted as it was a premium price. I wanted those wheels regardless so I went back to white. But honestly, any of the 4 colors available look great.

Edited by ccap41

Dang, I'd love to just be able to get behind the wheel of one of them! Luuuuucky!

What was the sticker on it?

$37,570. Base car w/ just DSG. The thing is awesome. 

All the people who say it's not worth the stretch over the GTI, I don't get it. I think it is. I didn't expect there to be as big of a difference as there was. It's night and day. It's like a GTI turned up to 11.5. Better in every way. 

As it stands, it is hands down the #1 contender to replace my GTI.

Dang, I'd love to just be able to get behind the wheel of one of them! Luuuuucky!

What was the sticker on it?

$37,570. Base car w/ just DSG. The thing is awesome. 

All the people who say it's not worth the stretch over the GTI, I don't get it. I think it is. I didn't expect there to be as big of a difference as there was. It's night and day. It's like a GTI turned up to 11.5. Better in every way. 

As it stands, it is hands down the #1 contender to replace my GTI.

Now you need to find a way to get behind the wheel of an RS. Your reviews are solid and seen very unbiased so I know it would be a fair write up. Do that, find an RS to get behind. Lol

I would buy a Mazda 6 Grand Touring with the technology package.  That comes out to about $33k, which is pretty much loaded for a Mazda 6.

Not even remotely in the same ball park, chief.

There isn't really a $30k coupe that I like, the Genesis coupe is rough and loud, I wouldn't drive a Mustang, Challenger is too big, and too cheap inside.  370Z does nothing for me.  So I'd rather have a Mazda 6 that is a good all around car.

I know you CAN option a Camaro V6 to $38k, but it's a little ridiculous that every person is picking an alternative at that price point. C&D's $35k Camaro was pretty much loaded, short of unnecessary add ons like ground effects, stripe packages, and other useless frills. You can build a track-ready (brembos and track cooling systems) V6 trim for a hair over $30k, that's basically an N/A 335 horsepower sports car with more practicality than a 370Z.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

I know you CAN option a Camaro V6 to $38k, but it's a little ridiculous that every person is picking an alternative at that price point. C&D's $35k Camaro was pretty much loaded, short of unnecessary add ons like ground effects, stripe packages, and other useless frills. You can build a track-ready (brembos and track cooling systems) V6 trim for a hair over $30k, that's basically an N/A 335 horsepower sports car with more practicality than a 370Z.

I don't think anyone is disputing that cp. Also, some have picked the Camaro is SS guise. For what it's worth, at closer to 30K, I'd take the 'Maro V6 stick.

I don't think anyone is disputing that cp. Also, some have picked the Camaro is SS guise. For what it's worth, at closer to 30K, I'd take the 'Maro V6 stick.

I'm just having a knee jerk reaction to alternatives that are priced to Camaro SS levels. Of course there are going to be superior cars if everyone defaults to $37,000+ as the benchmark against a Camaro V6 that starts at $28,000. I don't see anyone picking legit contenders like the Mustang Ecoboost, Challenger V6, the new Miata hard top, or the FRZ/BRZ/FT86, isn't that the point?

It's like what would you rather have over a Kia Optima Turbo ($28k-$40k)? Well for $40k I can get an Infiniti Q50 or ATS 2.0T.

I'm just having a knee jerk reaction to alternatives that are priced to Camaro SS levels. Of course there are going to be superior cars if everyone defaults to $37,000+ as the benchmark against a Camaro V6 that starts at $28,000. I don't see anyone picking legit contenders like the Mustang Ecoboost, Challenger V6, the new Miata hard top, or the FRZ/BRZ/FT86, isn't that the point?

It's like what would you rather have over a Kia Optima Turbo ($28k-$40k)? Well for $40k I can get an Infiniti Q50 or ATS 2.0T.

Not really.. I thought the point was a "for the money" would you rather have less options but a larger car? or in your Optima Turbo and ATS question.. would you rather have a smaller, way less equipped ATS or a fully loaded up Optima with more space and possibly better fuel economy as well? 

I went with the Mustang GT but I'm definitely not getting the options and features one would get with the V6 Camaro. Heck, I went with a car with cloth seats at that price! All the while that v6 Camaro is fitted with about every gadget GM offers short of engine and performance upgrades.

Just under the top price, but I would be happy with this!

attachicon.gif2016FocusRS.jpg

YUP. If I had to daily this sporty car I would go RS or Golf R route hands down. 

Well, CP....with me, ya'll know quite well that I dont really like the 'Maros' exterior looks....and Im more of a mid-sized muscle car kinda guy....so....

Between the Alpha platform mates....'tis the Cadillac that I prefer.  Not because of the badge, but because what body the badge is on....