Chevrolet News:Spying: Next-Generation Chevrolet Equinox Slims Down

The current Chevrolet Equinox is nearing the end of its lifecycle and we have been wondering when we'll be seeing any information about it. Thanks to a spy photographer, we have some photos to show what Chevrolet has in store.

The most apparent thing we can tell the photos is the new model is smaller than the outgoing model. This confirms a report back from January that Chevrolet will be moving the Equinox downmarket to compete better with compact crossovers. We can't you much about the exterior thanks to excellent camouflage job done by GM.

Car and Driver says the Equinox will use GM's Delta architecture and possibly feature the same suspension setup as the Buick Envision - struts up front and a multilink setup in the rear. Power is expected to come from a 2.5L four-cylinder and a turbo engine - Car and Driver isn't sure if it will be the 1.5L or 2.0L turbo. A choice of front or all-wheel drive will be offered.

When could we see the new Equinox? Either late this year or early next year.

Source: Car and Driver

View full article

Not much to really tell at this stage, wish there was a better shot of it along side the current model to really tell if it is smaller or bigger. Hard to tell from the single image they have.

Not much to really tell at this stage, wish there was a better shot of it along side the current model to really tell if it is smaller or bigger. Hard to tell from the single image they have.

I guess I can tell it is smaller because I have been staring at many Equinox photos to tell this. But give it time and we'll see it out on the road where it will be easier to tell. 

Cool, I would LOVE for GM to shock the world again like they did with the BOLT concept by showing off an Equinox Plug-in powertrain, aka using a beefed up version of the VOLT system but with the battery of the BOLT. That way you should have about a 600 mile range of driving for road trips but at least the first 200+ would be pure electric. :D

An excellent idea to move to Delta2 and make it smaller.  The current Equinox is about a foot longer than an Escape or CRV.  This will get it right sized, and it opens the door for Chevy to add a crossover in between the Equinox and Traverse.  Being smaller, this might be close to the Malibu's weight, the 1.5L turbo could be used, that should top 32 mpg easily.

Preferably I want to see a 2.5L base engine and a 2.0T optional. Even with extreme weight loss, I don't want to see the 1.5L engine trying to move a 3500-3700 lb crossover.

I don't expect the EPA rating to increase dramatically, at least on the highway, because the current model seems to have trouble cracking 30 mpg at all. An honest 22/32 mpg would beat the outgoing Equinox.

Well here is what we will see. 

Yes they will be physically smaller outside but the interior will packaged much better and will be nearly the same size if not more usable. The present model is not packaged as well as it should or could have been. 

They new model will be lighter and performance braking and MPG will be better. I do not expect a big gain in MPG but the related power vs MPG will be much better with the added torque. 

There will be a new larger model slotted in to take the place of the present model in size similar to the new GMC Acadia. 

The new model will be cheaper than the present model starting price but I expect it can be optioned right up to near where it is today. 

As for a plug in I think there is still work to do. If you note there really is not much in high profile plug in models because of the large frontal area. CD is a real range killer and that is why most EV plug in  models are lower profile cars. 

I remember them saying just the squaring off of the rear bumper on the Volt add a good amount of range just because of the Aero effect. Until we have better batteries I do not expect much in a plug in CUV unless it is short like a Tesla X where it is more a tall car than CUV. 

Not only is the large frontal area an issue on drag but if it is tall the suspension also takes a chunk out of the CD number.  We will get there in time but just the physical nature of the vehicle hurts Miles per charge and they are still getting the cars to where they need to be and there is still work to do. 

• Agree 1

Rumor is the Terrain will have the 1.5 turbo base and the 2.5 liter will be the optional engine, so I'd imagine Chevy will do the same.  In a way that makes sense, because the Buick Envision at $35,000 has the 2.5 liter, I don't think a $23,000 Equinox would have the same engine, they'll make you pay more for it.  I guess time will tell.  I am sure CAFE will dictate a lot of what engines end up in these new crossovers.  

I like a truck look, but then I am Blah on the Chevy Version and love the GMC current look.

Wonder if these engines will be part of the new GM Powertrain lineup?

I like a truck look, but then I am Blah on the Chevy Version and love the GMC current look.

I originally hated the Terrain but now I own one and come to love it. While I know it is the same thing as the Nox it just does not have that feminine look. 

Hey I don't highlight my hair and I still got a pair, what can I say? 

I have always preferred the GMC styling even if it was just the grills. It always appeared less cluttered and more refined. Though the new Chevy truck nose is damn good looking in mono chrome. 

Edited by hyperv6

I originally hated the Terrain but now I own one and come to love it. While I know it is the same thing as the Nox it just does not have that feminine look. 

I have always preferred the GMC styling even if it was just the grills. It always appeared less cluttered and more refined. Though the new Chevy truck nose is damn good looking in mono chrome. 

LOL, I know you still have a Pair. But I have to disagree with you on the chevy truck, I still think the full size GMC is way better looking.

I totally agree on the fem look of the Chevy CUV product line.

LOL, I know you still have a Pair. But I have to disagree with you on the chevy truck, I still think the full size GMC is way better looking.

Looks are subjective and you have yours and I have mine. My point is the GMC was a slam dunk before now I would at least have to think about it. Even my GMC buddies have said the same thing. Two of them have bought GMC full sized trucks in the last 2 years and both said they may have gone over to Chevy if they had this model out. 

As for the fem look 50% of buyers today are women so it makes sense. But with that said women like trucks too. That is why my wife wanted the Terrain. She grew up driving her dads truck often. I love it when she wants to opt for the largest wheel packages too as she said they look better. This takes the pressure off of me when I want that option. LOL!  We got the 19" on the Terrain because that is what she wanted and and it is was I was going to push for if she had not wanted them.

Powerful engines are also something we are both in agreement with. She has never turned down a V6 option or Supercharged option. If there was a V8 she would want it too. 

Now keep in mind she is not into cars like I am but we have the same wants when we buy. 

She also hates minivans and can shoot a gun with a high degree of accuracy. I was lucky to find her. 

Edited by hyperv6

Looks are subjective and you have yours and I have mine. My point is the GMC was a slam dunk before now I would at least have to think about it. Even my GMC buddies have said the same thing. Two of them have bought GMC full sized trucks in the last 2 years and both said they may have gone over to Chevy if they had this model out. 

As for the fem look 50% of buyers today are women so it makes sense. But with that said women like trucks too. That is why my wife wanted the Terrain. She grew up driving her dads truck often. I love it when she wants to opt for the largest wheel packages too as she said they look better. This takes the pressure off of me when I want that option. LOL!  We got the 19" on the Terrain because that is what she wanted and and it is was I was going to push for if she had not wanted them.

Powerful engines are also something we are both in agreement with. She has never turned down a V6 option or Supercharged option. If there was a V8 she would want it too. 

Now keep in mind she is not into cars like I am but we have the same wants when we buy. 

She also hates minivans and can shoot a gun with a high degree of accuracy. I was lucky to find her. 

That Rocks hyper :metal: I too have a wife like that so very lucky to have found her.

current Equinox is super popular due to passenger space and that sliding rear seat.  Four large adults can ride in it all day long.  It's cargo area is not as good though.  Some of the room is due to to a larger wheelbase.

It looks like the new one in the spy photos has a shorter wb, but also a lot less hood.  It's proportioning is on the way to minivan (kind of like the newest Escape).  The current CRv for as much of a terrible device as it is, has pretty good packaging and room and space.  I would expect that Chevy has improved how much of the space it is using, even if overall space goes down some.

The new Acadia which is a major gaffe to bring that nameplate down in size, actually is probably what the Terrain should have morphed into.  Enlarge the Terrain or call it Envoy instead of undermining everything about the Acadia brand.  Chevy won't bear that sin here, there should be a new model to slot between this new Equinox (which then won't have to squeeze in a useless third row) and the Traverse, which they ought to keep the same size as it is now or we really know there are complete idiots running GM.

As per classic GM though, they will probably still try to jack up the price on the model change, while at the same time reducing room and downsizing the motors.  If they weren't under the tyranny of agencies and governments, they could just make their vehicles the size customers want, with the engines they want.  The 1.5 in the new Malibu is actually a bit of a dog and i think it will struggle with a few hundred more pounds.  I've driven the Escape 1.6 and the new 1.5 has about the same specs, and it's not a complete dog.  Why GM's 1.5 is deficient to the Ford, I'm not sure.  There are a lot of GM vehicles that would benefit from a 1.75 liter displacement (that matches my whiskey bottles)......a nice happy medium between the 2.0 and the 1.5 for power and mileage.

The 2.5 is a boat anchor, i really hope it doesn't surface here.

I get mixed reads in my research for the current Equinox and Terrain.  I have rellies and friends who have them and like them.  I read online that their gas mileage is not near as advertised.  I have another friend who got a 15 equinox for a company vehicle and he hates it (and he apparently already had a cracked intake manifold).  I didn't really like the way they drove myself but realize this is not a sports sedan.

If the new Equinox is as quiet inside and pleasurable for its class as a new Cruze, then I think their strong sales will continue.  If there is one area they need to keep their advantage over the Escape, it's rear seat space.  The Escape's rear seat is too tight and chintzy looking.

Sedan sales keep going down, so many people i see in newest Escapes, Rav's, Equinoxes, Rogues etc.  I hope the Equinox is somewhat stylish, it will need whatever help it can get to compete vs. import names.