GM’s Retail Sales Rise for 12th Consecutive Month Driven by Chevrolet, Buick and GMC

• Chevrolet remains the industry’s fastest-growing full-line brand of 2016 with retail sales up 4 percent in April
  • Buick’s retail sales up 13 percent; GMC retail sales up 5 percent
  • Commercial deliveries up for 30th consecutive month
  • Daily rental deliveries down nearly 18,000 units, or 39 percent  
DETROIT – General Motors (NYSE: GM) delivered 200,656 vehicles in April to individual or “retail” customers, up 3 percent year-over-year, driven by an 13 percent increase at Buick, 5 percent increase at GMC and a 4 percent increase at Chevrolet. GM’s Commercial deliveries were up for the 30th consecutive month while daily rental sales were down nearly 18,000 vehicles. GM total sales were down about 4 percent to 259,557 vehicles.

GM has grown retail deliveries year-over-year every month since April 2015 and retail sales during the last 12 months were up 9 percent, more than double the industry’s 4 percent increase during that timeframe. Chevrolet was the fastest-growing full-line franchise in the U.S. industry in 2015 and holds that honor again so far this year, based on R.L. Polk retail registrations. Chevrolet had its best April for retail sales since 2006.

Through the first four months of the year, Chevrolet retail sales are up 9 percent. The all-new Malibu is having a major impact, with retail deliveries up 53 percent year to date and 45 percent in April. According to J.D. Power PIN, Malibu has nearly doubled its retail share from 5 percent in 2015 to 10 percent year to date. In addition, the new Cruze is beginning to arrive in dealers showrooms.

Buick has grown retail registrations faster this year than all but one other major brand, according to R.L. Polk, and posted a 13 percent year-over-year gain in April. Year to date, Buick retail deliveries are up 10 percent.  

“GM’s retail growth over the last 12 months has outpaced the industry by a wide margin because our redesigned large pickups and SUVs are hits, we made smart investments in new segments like small crossovers and mid-size pickups, and our momentum in the car business is accelerating with each new model introduction,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “GM bucked the industry trend with flat year-over incentives, we are managing with lean inventories and our Commercial and Government fleet business is growing.”

Looking ahead to May, GM expects to continue executing its retail-focused sales plan, and maintain disciplined inventories and incentives. The company’s deliveries to daily rental customers, which are less profitable than retail deliveries, are expected to be down approximately 18,000 to 20,000 units, year over year, which will make May the largest single-month decline of 2015-2016. Calendar year to date through April, GM’s rental deliveries are down more than 61,000 units from a year ago, as planned.

April Retail Sales and Business Highlights vs. 2015 (except as noted)

Chevrolet
  • The brand had its best retail April since 2006.
  • Car sales were up 4 percent, with the Camaro up 13 percent, Malibu up 45 percent, Spark up 2 percent and Volt up 139 percent.
  • Truck sales were up 19 percent, with the Colorado up 55 percent, Silverado up 14 percent, Suburban up 16 percent and Tahoe up 8 percent.
  • The Trax crossover was up 46 percent.
  • Malibu has its best year-to-date sales since 1980.
  • Silverado had its best April since 2006.
  • Tahoe and Suburban had their best year-to-date sales since 2008.
  • Colorado had its best month since launch of the all-new model.
GMC
  • The brand had its best April since 2004.
  • The Sierra had its best April ever, with deliveries up 14 percent, the Canyon was up 23 percent, and the Yukon had its 8th consecutive month of year-over-year growth, with deliveries up 13 percent. Yukon XL was up 8 percent.
Buick
  • The brand had its best April and calendar-year-to-date sales since 2005
  • The Encore was up 39 percent, Enclave up 2 percent
  • Buick sold 1,090 Cascada convertibles in April, the second full month in the market.
Cadillac
  • Cadillac ATPs were $54,600 in April, up approximately $1,600 from last year.
  • The Cadillac ATS, CTS and XTS all gained year-over-year retail market share in their respective segments.
Average Transaction Prices (ATP)/Incentives (J.D. Power PIN estimates)
  • GM’s ATPs, which reflect retail transaction prices after sales incentives, were $35,400 in April, more than $4,200 above the industry average.
  • GM’s incentive spending as a percentage of ATPs was 10.3 percent in April, well below domestic and many Asian competitors and in line with the industry average of 10.2 percent.
  • The industry increased incentives year over year by 0.7 percentage points, while GM incentives were in-line with a year ago.
Fleet and Commercial
  • GM’s fleet mix in April was approximately 23 percent of total sales, in line with the company’s full-year guidance of 20 percent.
  • Commercial sales grew 4 percent, for the best Commercial month since 2008. Government sales were up 21 percent and daily rental deliveries were down 39 percent.
  • Small business deliveries were up 20 percent in April and 10 percent calendar-year-to-date.
Industry Sales
  • GM estimates that the seasonally adjusted annual selling rate (SAAR) for light vehicles in April was 17.6 million units. On a calendar-year-to-date basis, GM estimates the light vehicle SAAR was 17.4 million units.

post-10485-0-77191000-1462283955_thumb.j

I'm not surprised the Nox was down as it is very long in the tooth at this point but I am surprised by how much it is down. 

If there are 320 CT6's and 304 XT5's out there then where are the in depth reviews/comparisons of them????

I can tell you neither one have hit the press fleet yet. I was told this a few weeks ago when scheduling some GM vehicles for review. I don't know when they'll be hitting, but I have to guess it will be sometime in the near future.

I'm not surprised the Nox was down as it is very long in the tooth at this point but I am surprised by how much it is down. 

If there are 320 CT6's and 304 XT5's out there then where are the in depth reviews/comparisons of them????

I can tell you neither one have hit the press fleet yet. I was told this a few weeks ago when scheduling some GM vehicles for review. I don't know when they'll be hitting, but I have to guess it will be sometime in the near future.

I assumed so.. It is good to get the product into the consumer's hands as quick as possible but I have to believe if it was on the cover of X magazine it would help actually move some. 

Either way I am very eager to read about both new Cadillac products. 

Edited by ccap41

Sedan sales are dropping fast in all segments. They can probably start merging products like Regal and Verano, Spark and Sonic etc and just put more crossovers out. I don't know if this trend will reverse.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Sedan sales are dropping fast in all segments. They can probably start merging products like Regal and Verano, Spark and Sonic etc and just put more crossovers out. I don't know if this trend will reverse.

Eventually it will.. I think whenever it is gas goes back up people will think a little more about that extra 1-3mpg hit the CUV is taking. 

Cadillac vs Audi in 3 Key Cars:

A6+AllRoad ( 1619+147) vs CTS (1335)

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Audi 2492 sales vs Cadillac 3141. The A7 is really the only weird match up due to price... but still.. how is Audi still getting a pass and Cadillac gets blasted for its mid/large car sales?

• Agree 2

The Audi A7 is priced $10,000 above CT6 for base model, but overall the A7 lines up well with the CT6 price.

A4 beat the ATS 2,983 to 1,737.  On overall sedan sales Audi is beating Cadillac, plus Audi has 3 crossovers that were all up big.

The thing about Audi is they don't even need the American market, they sell 1.7 million cars outside of the USA.  Cadillac is American market dependent.  Mercedes and BMW beat Audi here by wide margin, but in China Audi sells nearly as many cars as BMW and Mercedes combined.

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Audi 2492 sales vs Cadillac 3141. The A7 is really the only weird match up due to price... but still.. how is Audi still getting a pass and Cadillac gets blasted for its mid/large car sales?

Why did you not include A4 and ATS sales figures in your summary?

The Audi A7 is priced $10,000 above CT6 for base model, but overall the A7 lines up well with the CT6 price.

A4 beat the ATS 2,983 to 1,737.  On overall sedan sales Audi is beating Cadillac, plus Audi has 3 crossovers that were all up big.

The thing about Audi is they don't even need the American market, they sell 1.7 million cars outside of the USA.  Cadillac is American market dependent.  Mercedes and BMW beat Audi here by wide margin, but in China Audi sells nearly as many cars as BMW and Mercedes combined.

I'm not talking about global.. I am talking about US sales. Furthermore it is well known that in most areas Audi is competing pretty much on par with Cadillac.. and BUICK.. which then tells a different sales story

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Because it specifically says MID-LARGE. 

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Why limit to make your point?

Why not include all competing sedans from both mfg's?

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Why does it matter so much to you? He laid it out clear as day so splitting hairs over it is just silly.

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

Why does it matter so much to you? He laid it out clear as day so splitting hairs over it is just silly.

What does it matter to you that I find his selective sales comparison odd?

The S-class and E-class/CLS outsold all the mid-large Audi and Cadillacs combined.   The A6, A7, A8, CTS, CT6, XTS all have lousy sales.  Many buyers are moving toward crossovers, those buying a sedan must want the best or nothing.

Lincoln was up 20% and Cadillac down 28%.  Lincoln has Ford crossovers with wood and chrome added on and is growing (although still small) and Cadillac is shrinking despite the performance charachteristics of the Alpha chassis.  Most buyers don't care about perfoamnce sadly, they just want a lame crossover.  Bad news for us performance car fans, but that is where the market is going.

• Agree 1

The S-class and E-class/CLS outsold all the mid-large Audi and Cadillacs combined.   The A6, A7, A8, CTS, CT6, XTS all have lousy sales.  Many buyers are moving toward crossovers, those buying a sedan must want the best or nothing.

Lincoln was up 20% and Cadillac down 28%.  Lincoln has Ford crossovers with wood and chrome added on and is growing (although still small) and Cadillac is shrinking despite the performance charachteristics of the Alpha chassis.  Most buyers don't care about perfoamnce sadly, they just want a lame crossover.  Bad news for us performance car fans, but that is where the market is going.

Lincoln had nowhere to go but up and sure wasn't because of their sedans.

Honestly I'm surprised that the Camaro is not doing better. Kind of a head scratcher given how well it's been received by everyone that has reviewed it.

Lowest priced Camaro is still barely on lots. I don't kno what the f@#k GM is doing on that car, but if they want to regain the bottom sales they need to bring it. The 2.0L is just now hitting lots. Outta the 16,000 Camaros on sale.. Cars.com is reporting that only 1900 are 2.0L, and many of them are in transit

I think it's pretty obvious why it was done.. just say'n. 

It was done because I was comparing MID-LARGE sales between Caddy and Audi because I happen to own a CTS. 

• Agree 1

I think 7,000 Camaros is pretty good.  Coupes are a hard sell.  Granted there are only a small handful of coupes left, but you aren't ever going to see big numbers out of a coupe.  Plus they did raise the price, the Camaro is in the Impala prince range.  Impala sold 9,000 units as a practical sedan, 7,000 out of a coupe is decent.

Young people tend not to buy sports cars like they used too, a lot go toward crossovers.  So the market fir a Camaro or Mustang isn't as big as it was 20 years ago.

Honestly I'm surprised that the Camaro is not doing better. Kind of a head scratcher given how well it's been received by everyone that has reviewed it.

Lowest priced Camaro is still barely on lots. I don't kno what the f@#k GM is doing on that car, but if they want to regain the bottom sales they need to bring it. The 2.0L is just now hitting lots. Outta the 16,000 Camaros on sale.. Cars.com is reporting that only 1900 are 2.0L, and many of them are in transit

It was done because I was comparing MID-LARGE sales between Caddy and Audi because I happen to own a CTS. 

There is a 2.0T at my dealer... 41k(marked down to 37k). WTF? Why would that car optioned that way be stocked? I understand it can be optioned and built like that but it doesn't seem like THAT is how many people will be buying them. For 41k you can have a well packaged SS...which is what any sane person would do. 

There is a 2.0T at my dealer... 41k(marked down to 37k). WTF? Why would that car optioned that way be stocked? I understand it can be optioned and built like that but it doesn't seem like THAT is how many people will be buying them. For 41k you can have a well packaged SS...which is what any sane person would do. 

Bottom line is that the Camaro isn't cheap. U want performance?? U are gonna pay for it. A friend of mine just bought his son a WRX and paid $38K for it..  They live in New Hampshire and wanted AWD. I don't even have to get into the fact that the Camaro really is a Cadillac. GM is getting its investment back via Chevy.. as it should have been doing from git. Had the CAmaro come out first.. on Alpha.. before the CTS and ATS.. I would haven't thought any worse of it. Its only American cars that get dumped on when platform sharing comes into play

• Agree 1

As I said to someone in private message:

The reason the ATS wasn't included was because it was a comparison of mid/large cars. The reason it was only a mid/large car comparison is because that's where there is a double standard of complaints against Cadillac and for Audi in that segment (really any segment where they perform roughly the same, or Cadillac does better but gets criticized while Audi gets a pass)

It was that double standard on Audi v. Cadillac that was being pointed out.....  As the A3 is doing really well right now while the ATS isn't, that double standard does not apply, thus the ATS/A3 comparison not being included.

As I said to someone in private message:

The reason the ATS wasn't included was because it was a comparison of mid/large cars. The reason it was only a mid/large car comparison is because that's where there is a double standard of complaints against Cadillac and for Audi in that segment (really any segment where they perform roughly the same, or Cadillac does better but gets criticized while Audi gets a pass)

It was that double standard on Audi v. Cadillac that was being pointed out.....  As the A3 is doing really well right now while the ATS isn't, that double standard does not apply, thus the ATS/A3 comparison not being included.

NOt to mention.. Audi is currently selling in its numbers due to a hecka avail product quantity versus Cadillac. Even with the CT6 now on.. Cadillac is still only selling about 60% less nameplates than Audi, with those nameplates of Audis numbering 3X that of Cadillac in CUV segement. 

To the Mid-Car; A6 and CTS are damn near on par in sales.. barely 300 sales apart.. that's while the XTS continues to siphon sales away from it.. and now the CT6, which seems able to pass the A8, and wouldn't be surprised.. A7 combined in coming months

Sounds right because it makes no sense for GM to keep hindering their numbers for whatever reason. I do wonder how much the price point affects it. Even though the base price for the 4 is reasonable, you know there are not going to be too many of those on the lots at any one time. They are, more often than not, going to be equipped in such a way that it might (key word is "might") be a little high versus the Stang, even though I feel the Camaro is better than the Stang in just about every metric and it does seem to come with more standard equipment.

I pulled the luxury sales from 2010 and 2015 to compare how much everyone has grown.  Everyone is up since 2010 since the market rebounded.  I ranked it based on 2015 sales volume.  Mercedes had the biggest volume gain, Audi is the fastest growing, nearly doubling sales in the past 5 years.

Brand        2015 sales           2010 sales             Change             % Change

BMW                346,023                       220,113                      +125,910                 +57.2%

Lexus               344,601                       229,329                      +115,272                 +50.2%

Mercedes        343,088                        216,448                      +126,640                 +58.5%                (Sprinter not included)

Audi                 202,202                       101,629                      +100,573                 +98.9%

Acura              177,165                        133,606                       +43,449                  +32.5%

Cadillac           175,267                       146,925                       +28,342                  +19.3%

Infiniti              133,498                       103,411                        +30,087                 +29.1%

Lincoln            101,227                        85,828                         +15,399                 +17.9%

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

And don't forget that the CT6 is just getting up to speed as well.

• Agree 1

I pulled the luxury sales from 2010 and 2015 to compare how much everyone has grown.  Everyone is up since 2010 since the market rebounded.  I ranked it based on 2015 sales volume.  Mercedes had the biggest volume gain, Audi is the fastest growing, nearly doubling sales in the past 5 years.

Brand        2015 sales           2010 sales             Change             % Change

BMW                346,023                       220,113                      +125,910                 +57.2%

Lexus               344,601                       229,329                      +115,272                 +50.2%

Mercedes        343,088                        216,448                      +126,640                 +58.5%                (Sprinter not included)

Audi                 202,202                       101,629                      +100,573                 +98.9%

Acura              177,165                        133,606                       +43,449                  +32.5%

Cadillac           175,267                       146,925                       +28,342                  +19.3%

Infiniti              133,498                       103,411                        +30,087                 +29.1%

Lincoln            101,227                        85,828                         +15,399                 +17.9%

Interesting numbers.. and look at that.. only ONE member of that group is pulled it off with one SINGLE CUV

Why does Cadillac only have 1 CUV?  Horrible job by the product planners.  Even Buick has 3 of them, and they share a showroom with a brand that only makes trucks and SUVs.   Cadillac has gone from 4th place to 6th place in the past 5 years.  They need crossovers fast. 

• Agree 1

1- I am still am...long in the tooth or not. The now 10 year old Jeep twins are beating sales pretty well.....and they are not even giving them away!  Who knows....I'm seeing a truckload of new Malibus....could be the reason....

2 Agreed!!

Why does Cadillac only have 1 CUV?  Horrible job by the product planners.  Even Buick has 3 of them, and they share a showroom with a brand that only makes trucks and SUVs.   Cadillac has gone from 4th place to 6th place in the past 5 years.  They need crossovers fast. 

Where we truly agree.....Caddy should have never been an afterthought here...

A7 (543)  vs XTS  (1521)

A8 (330) vs CT6 (285)

And don't forget that the CT6 is just getting up to speed as well.

I wouldn't even call it up to speed yet.... it's barely hit the lots. 

BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi have all pulled off those numbers by moving down market into Buick territory... so if you want to include that market, merge the Buick and Cadillac numbers.  If you don't want to include that market, drop the 1/2-Series, GLA/CLA/B-Class, A3 and low end lexuses.

Edit: and possibly GMC Denali numbers...

• Agree 3

1- I am still am...long in the tooth or not. The now 10 year old Jeep twins are beating sales pretty well.....and they are not even giving them away!  Who knows....I'm seeing a truckload of new Malibus....could be the reason....

2 Agreed!!

Yeah no clue how those old as F Jeep twins sell..at all.. unless they're throwing heavy discounts on them. They just look so dated inside and out.

With the Nox being a Chevy I expect it to sell fairly well even if the product was sub par just because of availability and if it weren't selling hot GM can afford to throw some money at it regardless to get them to move. 

My local dealer has a TON of the new Malibus already. Very sharp looking car. I originally hated it, thought it looked terrible. Now, it's grown on me quite a bit. The only thing that kind of annoys me about it is the LED fog lights.. I feel like they should be flipped over. I don't like the angle of the bend. Picky? Yep. It wouldn't keep me from buying one though. 

That didn't take too long.. lol

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-cadillac-xt5-awd-first-test-review/

I pulled the luxury sales from 2010 and 2015 to compare how much everyone has grown. Everyone is up since 2010 since the market rebounded. I ranked it based on 2015 sales volume. Mercedes had the biggest volume gain, Audi is the fastest growing, nearly doubling sales in the past 5 years.

Brand 2015 sales 2010 sales Change % Change
BMW 346,023 220,113 +125,910 +57.2%
Lexus 344,601 229,329 +115,272 +50.2%
Mercedes 343,088 216,448 +126,640 +58.5% (Sprinter not included)
Audi 202,202 101,629 +100,573 +98.9%
Acura 177,165 133,606 +43,449 +32.5%
Cadillac 175,267 146,925 +28,342 +19.3%
Infiniti 133,498 103,411 +30,087 +29.1%
Lincoln 101,227 85,828 +15,399 +17.9%

BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi have all pulled off those numbers by moving down market into Buick territory... so if you want to include that market, merge the Buick and Cadillac numbers. If you don't want to include that market, drop the 1/2-Series, GLA/CLA/B-Class, A3 and low end lexuses.

I have been telling him the same thing for weeks. If you are going compare all Mercedes models for sales purposes then you have include all that apply from GM, not just Cadillac. Of course, that would kill his weak argument and he wouldn't be able to continue his cherry picking campaign. Edited by Drew Dowdell
Fixed your quoting

I pulled the luxury sales from 2010 and 2015 to compare how much everyone has grown. Everyone is up since 2010 since the market rebounded. I ranked it based on 2015 sales volume. Mercedes had the biggest volume gain, Audi is the fastest growing, nearly doubling sales in the past 5 years.

BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi have all pulled off those numbers by moving down market into Buick territory... so if you want to include that market, merge the Buick and Cadillac numbers. If you don't want to include that market, drop the 1/2-Series, GLA/CLA/B-Class, A3 and low end lexuses.

I have been telling him the same thing for weeks. If you are going compare all Mercedes models for sales purposes then you have include all that apply from GM, not just Cadillac. Of course, that would kill his weak argument and he wouldn't be able to continue his cherry picking campaign.

GM covers these two markets with 3 brands, Mercedes covers it with one.  There is a valid debate to be had over which strategy is superior, but comparing sales numbers without acknowledging these facts is dishonest. 

• Agree 1

I pulled the luxury sales from 2010 and 2015 to compare how much everyone has grown. Everyone is up since 2010 since the market rebounded. I ranked it based on 2015 sales volume. Mercedes had the biggest volume gain, Audi is the fastest growing, nearly doubling sales in the past 5 years.Brand 2015 sales 2010 sales Change % Change

I have been telling him the same thing for weeks. If you are going compare all Mercedes models for sales purposes then you have include all that apply from GM, not just Cadillac. Of course, that would kill his weak argument and he wouldn't be able to continue his cherry picking campaign.

GM covers these two markets with 3 brands, Mercedes covers it with one.  There is a valid debate to be had over which strategy is superior, but comparing sales numbers without acknowledging these facts is dishonest.

I agree 100%

And once you combine them, you see that GM is in these two segments with not just one crossover, but 6 crossovers, 4 SUVS, and 2 or 3 trucks (depending on how you count the 1500/2500).

Encore

Envision

Enclave

Terrain Denali (25% of Terrain sales)

Acadia Denali (25% of Acadia sales)

SRX/XT5

Yukon Denali

Yukon XL Denali

Escalade

Sierra Denali 1500/2500

Canyon Denali

• Agree 1

@ Drew.. I said the same thing in post #11. He ignored it. If Cadillac is going to be compared to Audi, Benz, Lexus, and BMW.. one must absolutely realize that GM hits the luxury car field in the same way they do except it utilizes its brands fully in its strategy. Denali, for example, is a luxury brand within an already near lux brand named GMC. GMC sits on the same showroom as Buick in many cases. Denali, last year, was pushing almost 25% of its 559K GMC sales, equaling out to 139K Denali sales... add that to Cadillac all by it self and the two pulled in 314K sales last year. If GM fleshed CAdillac out to sell just 300K in the U.S. + Denali/GMC+ Buick..  it will be unstoppable 

On to what was said by Smk and CUVS..   Cadillac... this is what U should be doing. 45% of your offerings should be CUVS.. and that's with at least a whopping 16 products to sell versus your measly 7. 

It truly makes the idiot in me... the IDIOT.. in me wonder how the hell is Mercedes outselling Cadillac 2:1 (343K vs 175K) with not just double.. but 10 more vehicle available to the buying public.. in more variants to boot     :scratchchin:  How is that even possible?? and would that have more to do with the Benz brand being supposedly better and not just having more product?    :bowl:

So the question remains... if Caddy had 16 products.., not 7, even with the variations they currently have of their products (no diesel.. not one effin convertible.. no wagon) would they be able to sell at least equal to Benz?

• Agree 1

BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi have all pulled off those numbers by moving down market into Buick territory... so if you want to include that market, merge the Buick and Cadillac numbers.  If you don't want to include that market, drop the 1/2-Series, GLA/CLA/B-Class, A3 and low end lexuses.

The CLA costs more than a Buick LaCrosse, and no BMW or Mercedes or Audi costs $21k like a Verano.  The Germans have more up market products, say $75k and up, than the American and Japanese brands also.  The Escalade and The LS460 and LX570 are it.  

• Agree 1

Then you have to give BMW all Mini sales, because the cheapest Mini costs the same as a Verano and the Clubman is the same price as an Encore.   Mini sales aren't any good, but if you want to compare sales down to $21,000, BMW should get them too, Audi should get to add the Volkswagen CC, Tiguan and Toureg, because those are priced higher than similar Buicks.  

Bottom line is Cadillac is GM's luxury brand, it is the one with the task of targeting Lexus and the Germans.   

The CLA costs more than a Buick LaCrosse, and no BMW or Mercedes or Audi costs $21k like a Verano.  The Germans have more up market products, say $75k and up, than the American and Japanese brands also.  The Escalade and The LS460 and LX570 are it.

[/quote

Sorry but you don't get to cherry pick this.

The CLA costs more than a Buick LaCrosse, and no BMW or Mercedes or Audi costs $21k like a Verano. The Germans have more up market products, say $75k and up, than the American and Japanese brands also. The Escalade and The LS460 and LX570 are it.

Sorry but you don't get to cherry pick this. You don't get to use Benz sales across the board, which I noticed you didn't exclude the $15k Smart cars, and then say that we can't pick this or that. Sorry, but you screwed yourself here. Edited by surreal1272

Then you have to give BMW all Mini sales, because the cheapest Mini costs the same as a Verano and the Clubman is the same price as an Encore.   Mini sales aren't any good, but if you want to compare sales down to $21,000, BMW should get them too, Audi should get to add the Volkswagen CC, Tiguan and Toureg, because those are priced higher than similar Buicks.  

Bottom line is Cadillac is GM's luxury brand, it is the one with the task of targeting Lexus and the Germans.   

Cadillac is targeting the non-cheap-$h! Germans. Not all German made MB/BMW are to the same built quality/standard as the S Class and 5 Series. 

What's funny is GM makes a car in that price category that'll roast the Germans in about any form of race you can think of.. it just wears a Bowtie loud and proud. 

Mercedes doesn't compete in Buick territory.  The cheapest Mercedes is more than the LaCrosse.  The only Buick that cost more than the CLA the past 5 years was the full size SUV Enclave, and most full size SUVs are going to cost more than a compact sedan.  That isn't cherry picking, that is a fact of what the prices are.    If Buick wants to make the Verano base at $32k, the Regal at $40k, and the LaCrosse at $50k (yes above XTS) then they can say they compete in the Mercedes price tier.

What is Buick's ATP?  Like $33K?  The median price for all new cars is $34k, Buick is just average.