Would You Rather a Cleanly modified Mazda RX8 or a 1978 Camaro Z/28

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Rather a Mazda RX8 or a 1977 Camaro Z/28

• cleanly modified Mazda RX8
    • 1977 Camaro Z/28

Before I start, I would like to thank Mr Cubical and Casa for reviving the other Would You Rather Thread with the Vette...

And the others that answered it as well....

OK...so...

Im at my son's baseball practice Saturday morning watching the kids pitch and catch and stuff when I hear a beautiful rumble from a distance coming from the parking lot.

A black 1978 Camaro Z/28.  l

It was in rough condition, but still very driveable.

Many little rust bubbles all around but the body seemed to be in decent shape.

T-Tops and white interior. Like this except in black

2637683.jpg

The V8 under the hood made glorious loping sounds...like this:

The best I could find that was similar..

Nice bloody car, too bad the owner was a dooooshe bag.

I noticed he was French, so I approached him and talked to him in French telling him I liked his car.  The bastard just looked the other way with a "WTF do YOU want??!!!" look on his face, got back into his car and SPED off in the parking lot where more parents and their kids are parking their cars for baseball practice. ( 4 baseball fields  in this area...so MANY people)

Another parent kicked his car door as he got close to him and told him to slow the eff down!!!  Early 20 year old asshat....

Today, in the drive-thru, another early 20 year old kid orders a couple of hotdogs and fries and pulls up to pay in something like this:

08ff621d5e172a1f8121a36cbda25e18.jpg

Same type of body kit. The mags were gold BBS type wheels.

Very nice car. I couldnt talk to him as it was lunch rush....not because that stops me, I was in the kitchen and I couldnt get myself fast enough to the pay window to shoot the $h! with him. Next time.

Remember. Your choices are to be only like in the pics  and like the descriptions I made.

So...a nicely modified  RX8 or a slightly rusted but glorious sounding 1978 Camaro Z28.

Hmm...I'd take a '77 Z/28 (prefer the '74-77 styling over '78-81).  Though my favorite 2nd gen would be a '70 1/2 -73.    As for Mazdas, about the only one I'd get excited about would be a 3rd gen RX-7...the last ones...

• Agree 1

I think I'm with Drew here. That's possibly the only gen Camaro that never really did anything for me(okay not a huge fan of the 5th gen either but that's for another time) and I always thought the RX-8 was a pretty sharp car and a few small mods would clean up the look fairly easily. 

I also agree with Molty, 3rd gen RX-7 is hands down my favorite but that's not included(NOR ARE THE '74-'77s!!) but it would be tough to pass up some V8.. I think if I drove both bone stock I would enjoy the Mazda more and then some clean and simple mods would make me like it a lot more. 

So while looking for some pics of some RX-8s I came across these first two.. good lord. I don't understand this "stance" thing. I mean they literally look like they broke $h!.

F031B336-EF6E-4F43-BEF2-70F5554EBFF2_zps

24401701-8371-4E25-9A02-F925390ED977_zps

Now for some that I would actually like to own.

7F5D9D85-9A4F-4174-B0A7-DE1EE532351D_zps

B393A3E9-BF61-4955-808F-F25EE852C967_zps

969145F7-4D16-4AEC-8C9D-B9DDAA63ADFE_zps

They're a bitch to maintain, but RX-8 all day every day. Literally the only thing that the Camaro has going for it is the sound of the V8. However, a Wankel can sound AMAZING with the proper setup. It's one of the best-handling cars ever made, that alone is enough of a reason for me. Plus, who doesn't love to rev to 10,000 RPM?!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Im at work. I don't have speakers installed on the computer....yet.

So...Im anxiously awaiting to hear the RX8 rev,.

Ill agree. A 2nd generation F-Body Camaro is no Trans Am... 

Honestly, if I had seen a mid 1990s RX-7 instead of the RX-8 Id probably choose it over the Camaro myself....

Maybe not...

Those T-Tops and that V8 sound...but then again, Ill have to hear the RX8 rev...

CCAP...I believ that crappy stance is called Hella Flush.

Sledneck from MT posted a link for me to read for that kind of mod.

The article was from Quebec...anfd it stated that it is illegal in Quebec this type of mod to be driven on the street.

They're a bitch to maintain, but RX-8 all day every day. Literally the only thing that the Camaro has going for it is the sound of the V8. However, a Wankel can sound AMAZING with the proper setup. It's one of the best-handling cars ever made, that alone is enough of a reason for me. Plus, who doesn't love to rev to 10,000 RPM?!

Sorry Thed, but I am NOT Impressed with that Tinny rattle of sound. It starts off nice with a deep tone and then goes high pitch tin can rattle that is not impressive. Plus to have to rev so high and hard to make it go is also not impressive. I will take a Torquey 4 banger over the out of date, green house gas producing oil consuming rotary every day.

This is a decent sounding engine.

Sorry Thed. I cant do that sound either.

Fart can exhaust notes dont do anything for me.

As far as that 10 000 RPM thing goes....I noticed the RX8 came alive at around the 6000 RPM range.

Yeah, that is awesome.

However, that 1978 Camaro....lunged forward a good 2 feet INSTANTLY as soon as the asshat pressed on the pedal.

It leaped forward like a lioness hunting for its prey, and it growled like a lion too...

He then stopped pressing the pedal, and pressed on the brake but the engine was loping louder and meaner, then he mashed the pedal down and darted off like a bat outta hell... not enough juice was given to spin or squeal the rear wheels (he did slow down enough not to be a real dik and kill somebody, but enough speed was collected that drew the ire of many parents present non-the-less)but with enough force to know that the V8 under the hood is not a smog era choked Chevy Small Block...that car moves...and it moves INSTANTLY....and THAT is what gets me excited, low RPM grunt.

Most of the time for me....its that very classic muscle car trait that attracts me.

Low RPM grunt that permits the muscle car to leap forward NOW at the slightest touch of the accelerator peddle and that glorious loping V8 sound.

I wanted to buy an RX-8 when they first came out, but the dealers had $4,000 added dealer markup.  I'm glad that I didn't end up with one of these oil-burners.

As for the question, I might prefer the Camaro.