Mercedez Benz News Mercedes-Benz Confirms Off-Road Variant of E-Class Wagon

Earlier this week saw Mercedes-Benz introduce the next-generation E-Class wagon. But there is a new variant that will debut later this fall.

Mercedes-Benz confirmed to Autocar that a model to compete against the Audi A6 Allroad and the upcoming Volvo V90 Cross Country will be shown at the Paris Motor Show in September. Known as the E-Class All Terrain, the wagon will feature Mercedes' 4Matic all-wheel drive system and an air suspension that can be raised or lowered depending on the terrain.

“It won’t be as good as an SUV off road, but it will be able to go farther than most owners will expect,” said Michael Kelz, chief engineer on the E-Class.

The exterior will come with plastic body cladding, new bumpers, and underbody protection.

Mercedes-Benz will kick off sales of the E-Class All Terrain early next year. At the moment, there are no plans to bring it to the U.S.

Source: Autocar

View full article

I have no doubt it will be better than an Allroad or Volvo Cross Country, but why even bother?  Those dont' sell at all here, they probably dont' sell much in Europe either.

I think this is a dumb idea, they already have an all wheel drive wagon which non one will take off road anyway, and they have an off road E wagon called the GLE.

• Agree 1

Unless you're invading another country, there is no superiority about the kind of off-roading this Mercedes can do. Even then the Unimog is a MUCH better vehicle.

And there is hardly any place on Earth where the correctly spec'd version of those 3 can't go. The only thing maybe a water fording... which still is a niche use, and most militaries now have the deployable bridges.

Unless you're invading another country, there is no superiority about the kind of off-roading this Mercedes can do. Even then the Unimog is a MUCH better vehicle.

And there is hardly any place on Earth where the correctly spec'd version of those 3 can't go. The only thing maybe a water fording... which still is a niche use, and most militaries now have the deployable bridges.

Yeah but Suave...if the Germans know one thing....it IS about invading other countries!

Back on point, what sort of corporate board would approve a model for production to compete with a vehicle that sold 106 units last month in the entire U.S.??

Sorry Balthy, yes back on point...

Maybe the board got sidetracked with visions of invading Poland again.

Edited by oldshurst442

This is a Perfect place to repost the pictures Drew took of the G Wagon at the autoshow that had miss matched screws, terrible fit n finish, etc. If only I could find them.

LOL Over rated in my book this beast is.

• Agree 1

Three locking diffs?  That's not exactly high tech or ground breaking. I think even the old F-150 from the 80s could have 3.  I know the previous generation Avalanche and Suburban 2500s had center locking transfer cases (same as a center locking diff).   My 2004 Avalanche had front and rear locking diffs. 

• Agree 1

Three locking diffs?  That's not exactly high tech or ground breaking. I think even the old F-150 from the 80s could have 3.  I know the previous generation Avalanche and Suburban 2500s had center locking transfer cases (same as a center locking diff).   My 2004 Avalanche had front and rear locking diffs.

I don't know how many times this has to be said. None of that matters because obviously Mercedes does it better.

Back on point, what sort of corporate board would approve a model for production to compete with a vehicle that sold 106 units last month in the entire U.S.??

I think an off road E-class Estate is pointless.  But the only reason I could see the justification is if they think wagon sales are dropping too low, and the E-class wagon alone doesn't have enough volume.  By using the exact same body and drive train, and just lifting the suspension 2 inches and putting a skid plate or side skirt on it, it doesn't take any development cost, and maybe it makes the total wagon sales volume go up.

I don't think it will make total wagon sales go up, but that is the only reason I can see them doing it.

The G550 4X4 squared or whatever it is called has 3 locking differentials.  It would toast those other cars off road, and the HummVee is wider and not as powerful.

Not to mention the Hummvee was garbage and the G550 4x4 probably has much better cupholders...

Always amusing to note the same degree of engineering in a Wrangler -based in the 1940s- as a mercedes G -based in the 1970s… STILL.

The Wrangler though has very little in common beyond the concept with the '40s Jeeps, while the modern Merc G has a lot in common w/ the '70s G...

• Agree 1