Suburban vs Yukon XL vs Escalade ESV

LLT

Hello -

My wife and I are looking for another SUV and I'm just curious what you all think of the Suburban vs the Yukon XL and the Yukon XL vs the Escalade ESV. Do you think the significant price hike between the XL and ESV is worth it?

As best as I can tell, the noticeable differences are a much better quality trim (leather-wrapped in the Escalade - painted plastic in the Yukon), the Escalade has a Bose 5.1 surround system, a bigger navigation screen and a better ride (IMO.) The downside is, even with my GMS pricing, it's $12k more and it doesn't have Active Fuel Management and FlexFuel (stupid move on GM's part)

I appreciate any feedback and insight. :)

If you're going to use it to lug kids around, I'd go for a plain-'ol Suburban. Kids just mess cars up anyways. Otherwise its the Denali vs. Escalade dilemma. I've always been partial to the GMC in that scenario, less ostentatious. But the 'Sclade does have a few more hp along with the differences you mentioned in trim, etc. Honestly, I'd go the Denali route.

Thanks guys. It's actually more for my use and I do a lot of traveling for business... nonetheless, the wife insists it be "family friendly" :)

I was referring to the standard XL versus the ESV -- '07 is the first year that I'm not seeing as much value in the Denali. If memory serves, it's not significantly cheaper than the Escalade (comparitively speaking, of course), comes with less standard features and less optional features. It also has a similar powertrain, meaning the FlexFuel and AFM aren't available. You're right though, it is a bit tamer and one might argue even a bit more practical. :)

I got a fully loaded 07 XL Denali for 52K. I would be surprised if you can get a loaded ESV for less than 67-68K. That is a huge difference.

To me the 6 speed tranny was a must have. It is sooo awesome. Shifts quicker and firmer than an other american made tranny I have driven. It makes the vehicle drive "lighter" because the engine is not so stressed. Very impressive.

If you go with the Burb or the regular XL you are stuck with the 4 speed.

From what I read the AFM is more marketing hype than anything. V-4 mode is only in effect when going downhill basically, or coasting to a stop. Once stopped, it goes back in V-8 mode for smooth idleing. So for those of us stuck in bumper to bumper traffic a lot, AFM is useless.

Read the Tahoe boards- people are only getting 16 - 17 MPG for the most part. Thats funny...I am getting that in my non-AFM 6.2L with the 6 speed.

I heard AFM this fall (2007). Are they making the 2008 models early????? Doesn't seem right. It just may be added to the 2007model. I heard it was updates with bluetooth, AFM, and express windows.

I'm hopeing that the Z pacakge this fall will include the 6.0 AND the 6-speed!!!! Hey I can hope right!!

I did see a little blurb in a Consumer reports mag. It was the one for new 07 Trucks and SUV's. The afore mentioned blurb is JUST for the 07 Suburban, IT said the Z71 package was 5,000. there was very little info on it and if so you better get way more that some cosmetic upgrades (PLEASE DO NOT "TAKE THIS TO THE BANK") It may have been a mis-print. I did not see that for the Tahoe or Yukon or Yukon XL. I'll look at it tonight after work.

Edited by 84jeepjohn

From what I read the AFM is more marketing hype than anything.  V-4 mode is only in effect when going downhill basically, or coasting to a stop.  Once stopped, it goes back in V-8 mode for smooth idleing.  So for those of us stuck in bumper to bumper traffic a lot, AFM is useless.

Read the Tahoe boards- people are only getting 16 - 17 MPG for the most part.  Thats funny...I am getting that in my non-AFM 6.2L with the 6 speed.

That's exactly what the GMC dealer (oddly enough) said, so I'm not overly concerned with that anymore. I ended up ordering a 2007 Escalade ESV afterall... once I drove one, there was no turning back. Should arrive in mid-July. :)

I heard AFM this fall (2007). Are they making the 2008 models early????? Doesn't seem right. It just may be added to the 2007model. I heard it was updates with bluetooth, AFM, and express windows.

I'm shocked that the Denali, Escalade, Suburban don't have Bluetooth, telescopic steering wheel, etc. The '05 STS had all sorts of features such as bluetooth, heads-up display, adaptive cruise, etc.... why they couldn't carry those over to other vehicles is beyond me. As far as I know, the STS is the ONLY GM vehicle at the moment with bluetooth capability. Seems shortsighted to me -- even the new camry has bluetooth.

I'd be happy if they provided the ability to use Onstar handsfree with Cingular or another provider other than Verizon. Baby steps. :)

Edited by LLT

oh..and good luck with the ESV. Nice choice. Dare I ask what you had to give for that puppy? If you would prefer privacy...I understand.

I have 4K miles now on my Denali and I love it. I towed a fairly heavy load the other day (about 4500 pounds). That 6 speed is awesome. The tow-haul downshift mode behaves just like my Father's diesel.

The only problem I have with my truck is a nagging "Service Suspension System" message that appears on the info panel every few days. Gotta get it in for that.

From what I read the AFM is more marketing hype than anything.  V-4 mode is only in effect when going downhill basically, or coasting to a stop.  Once stopped, it goes back in V-8 mode for smooth idleing.  So for those of us stuck in bumper to bumper traffic a lot, AFM is useless.

Read the Tahoe boards- people are only getting 16 - 17 MPG for the most part.  Thats funny...I am getting that in my non-AFM 6.2L with the 6 speed.

the AFM sees generally 12-15% increase in fuel ecconomy... and what that means on a 15-21 mpg vehicle... is just that, 1 or 2 mpg, if you drive conservatively...

the tahoes can get much better then 22 mpg... you just have to drive them that way...

• 6 years later...

well my mom had all of them (we are big car people) and she liked the escalade the best and the yukon the second best. the escalade is a little more money but it's worth it.

• 7 months later...

I agree if it was just a family wagon, go Suburban. Between the Escalade and the Denali and the fact you said a lot of driving and business I would go Escalade. A friend had a late model Denali that had the rear end drooping because of the air suspension failing. When we looked it up online, it has been a big issue. My friend got no help from the dealer, traded it in on a Cadillac and is estatic.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a fully loaded 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum edition that I bought New and still love to this day. Sadly the new GM900 platform does not have the same sitting room as the 800 and so I will continue to hold onto mine as it is sharp, clean and does not have any problems.

In regards to the old statement about kids trashing auto's so just get a subruban, I say grow up and dictate what kids can and cannot do. Until they turn 18 and move out to be on their own, it is a dictatorship and you train them to respect and take care of things all things including respecting a nice expensive auto. My kids never trash my auto's.

• 1 year later...