Jump to content
  • Drew Dowdell
    Drew Dowdell

    Mercedes-AMG One Delayed

      ...if you ordered, be ready to wait two more years...

    Mercedes-AMG's ambitious plan to put Formula One technology onto the streets has reportedly hit some major snags and the project is delayed by at least two years.  The biggest issue appears to be the engine.  The rear engined carbon fiber racer is a  1.6 liter gasoline-hybrid with over 1,000 horsepower.  Four electric motors work in tandem, one for the turbocharger, one on the engine connected to the crankshaft, and two which drive the front wheels. This brings a maximum speed of over 350 km/h (217 mph).

    Even with all of that hybrid technology, a major stumbling block surrounds how to take an F1 engine and make it meet emissions standards. Several exhaust gas cleaning systems must be added to the car in order to drive it legally. There is also the issue of requiring to warm the entire engine oil circuit before even starting the engine.  Both of these must be solved before the AMG One will be ready for production.

     



    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    5 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    They aren't going to kill it, this is their moon shot vehicle.  This is their chance to build a car that it might take 20 years before anyone rivals it.  They are all in at this point, and the cost of developing the powertrain which is the expensive part is done.  This is a matter of spending money to get it emissions certified.  

    They can eat a billion dollar fine too.  These big corporations sit on big cash reserves, they'll probably use the loss as a tax write off and move on.  Daimler lost way more on money on Chrysler than it will on these fines and they are still here, and still #1 luxury car producer.

    No one has done something like this, the current F1 engines are ridiculous, I've heard the power unit in an F1 car is about $5 million.  I imagine they are selling AMG One at a loss, unless the economies of scale have allowed them to turn a profit at $3 million. 

    Your Smoking CRACK if you think this is their MOON SHOT!

    Already superior Hyper cars that go faster than the AMG One are built and shown off both EV and Hybrid and as @balthazar has pointed out, you can get an emission legal Hemi that does what this motor says it will do but cannot pass emissions.

    This MB Halo car is already old news, old hat and old tech.

    Plus if it was so close to passing emissions then why do they have to delay it by 2 years? 🤔

    This is what all auto companies do to projects that are already on the possible chopping block due to economics and money lossing cash flow.

    AMG One I am calling it now is DEAD!

    :deadhorse:

    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

    model cute coming

     

    maxresdefault.jpg

    5 hours ago, dfelt said:

    Your Smoking CRACK

     

    36yic9.jpg

    • Haha 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    14 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    These big corporations sit on big cash reserves, they'll probably use the loss as a tax write off and move on

    You can't take tax losses on fines. 

    • Upvote 3

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

    It would be more compelling if it were a pure EV  than a passé hybrid....

    ..and that it makes 1000hp makes it an also-ran, the Chiron already makes 1500hp, without the hybrid gimmick.  

    The AMG One is just a lot of hype that means nothing. AMG Zero would be a better name.  

    It weighs 2000 lbs less than a Chiron.  AMG One will decimate a Chiron on any track and will beat in in a 1/4 mile drag race which isn’t what the One is even made for.

    AMG Two (if that happens) might be a pure EV since Mercedes is entering Formula E next year.

    10 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

    Considering the C7 is out of production, it’s a moot point. 

    The Camaro doesn’t meet WLTP either and is still in production and the C8 has the 6.2 V8 still, but since that car hasn’t been tested yet we don’t know if it passes or not.

    • Haha 3

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

    Your fandom is strong but your excuse is weak. 

    Really? You use a standard that the C7 clearly doesn’t have to use as your excuse? Guess all those emission legal Vettes in US are just a sham huh? The new Vette certainly doesn’t have an emission problem so maybe it’s just Benz that can’t quite figure it out or maybe your comparison is bunk to begin with since Benz has to use EU standards to get on the road while the Vette does not since it originates here and sells the bulk of its cars here. Again that fandom clashes with simple logic. 

    They are trying to meet an emissions standard that is tougher than US regulations.  The Camaro and Corvette currently don’t pass the standard that AMG is trying to meet.  

    • Downvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    It weighs 2000 lbs less than a Chiron.  AMG One will decimate a Chiron on any track and will beat in in a 1/4 mile drag race which isn’t what the One is even made for. 

    That's all theoretical at this point, though...if it ever gets into production, then maybe such numbers might mean something...but who cares.    Outside of a few journos or M-B test drivers, it will never see a track.  

    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, dfelt said:

    Your Smoking CRACK if you think this is their MOON SHOT!

    Already superior Hyper cars that go faster than the AMG One are built and shown off both EV and Hybrid and as @balthazar has pointed out, you can get an emission legal Hemi that does what this motor says it will do but cannot pass emissions.

    This MB Halo car is already old news, old hat and old tech.

    Plus if it was so close to passing emissions then why do they have to delay it by 2 years? 🤔

    This is what all auto companies do to projects that are already on the possible chopping block due to economics and money lossing cash flow.

    AMG One I am calling it now is DEAD!

    :deadhorse:

    What superior hyper car?  The Nurburgring record is 6:47 and AMG One is shooting for under 5:30.  That is over a minute and a half quicker than the fastest Ferrari or Corvette ever tested.  

    • Haha 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    ccap41

    Posted (edited)

    Well, as of now, the AMG One doesn't meet the WLTP standards either... 🤷🏻‍♂️

    Edited by ccap41
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    25 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    What superior hyper car?  The Nurburgring record is 6:47 and AMG One is shooting for under 5:30.  That is over a minute and a half quicker than the fastest Ferrari or Corvette ever tested.  

    You genuinely think they will beat the all-time record by 40 seconds? You realize how absurd of a goal that is, right? I don't think it is bad to set a very high goal but there is only so much time to be taken off on such a bumpy and uneven track. 

    • Upvote 2

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    22 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

    You genuinely think they will beat the all-time record by 40 seconds? You realize how absurd of a goal that is, right? I don't think it is bad to set a very high goal but there is only so much time to be taken off on such a bumpy and uneven track. 

    1000 hp doesn't help you in turns. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    38 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    1000 hp doesn't help you in turns. 

    No, that's what the light weight and high down force is for. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

    You genuinely think they will beat the all-time record by 40 seconds? You realize how absurd of a goal that is, right? I don't think it is bad to set a very high goal but there is only so much time to be taken off on such a bumpy and uneven track. 

    They think they can beat the all time record by 90 seconds.  Keep in mind an F1 car to a LaFerrari is like comparing a LaFerrari to a Golf GTI.

    52 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    1000 hp doesn't help you in turns. 

    Weight, active aero, grip and downforce will.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    It weighs 2000 lbs less than a Chiron.  AMG One will decimate a Chiron on any track and will beat in in a 1/4 mile drag race which isn’t what the One is even made for.

    AMG Two (if that happens) might be a pure EV since Mercedes is entering Formula E next year.

    The Camaro doesn’t meet WLTP either and is still in production and the C8 has the 6.2 V8 still, but since that car hasn’t been tested yet we don’t know if it passes or not.

    Again with the damn emissions comparisons. Let me say for you one more time. The Vette and Camaro don’t have $h! to worry about because they only need to meet US emissions guidelines. They have so little presence in Europe, that is does not matter that they don’t meet WLTP standards. The simple fact is that the One has more issues than just simple emissions of Benz is delaying it for two years (which by that time will make it old news). All of your fanboy defensive nonsense will not change those facts. 

    2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    They are trying to meet an emissions standard that is tougher than US regulations.  The Camaro and Corvette currently don’t pass the standard that AMG is trying to meet.  

    See above post and stop deflecting. 

     

    “Hey everyone! My vaporware car will run circles around any other car on the planet! Mercedes told me so it must be true! Fanboys rejoice!”

     

    Thats pretty much your defense and deflection in a nutshell. 

    6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

     

    maxresdefault.jpg

     

    36yic9.jpg

    Yeah, I realized the autocorrect error a little too late to correct it to “cuts” instead of “cute” but it does make it funnier. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    What superior hyper car?  The Nurburgring record is 6:47 and AMG One is shooting for under 5:30.  That is over a minute and a half quicker than the fastest Ferrari or Corvette ever tested.  

    What superior hypercar? How about all the ones currently running said roads and not part of Daimler’s imagination right now, which is all the AMG One is right now. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    30 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    They think they can beat the all time record by 90 seconds.  Keep in mind an F1 car to a LaFerrari is like comparing a LaFerrari to a Golf GTI.

    I completely understand that part but I think the track surface will hold it back more than the performance capabilities themselves. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

    I completely understand that part but I think the track surface will hold it back more than the performance capabilities themselves. 

    Sorry but he is hitting that pipe pretty hard to make such assumptions, even by his fanboy standards. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    51 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

    Meanwhile Aston Martin is getting their seven chuckles over this while they ready their Hypercar for release. The One will be old news in 2021.

     

    It also appears that the One’s issues extend beyond simple emission restrictions hence the two year delay.

     

    https://carbuzz.com/news/aston-martin-is-laughing-at-mercedes-amg-s-latest-struggle

    Starter Problem

    Oil Heating problem

    High RPM idle problem

    Connection of having the F1 engine power 4 electric motors problem

    Pathetic battery pack problem

    AMG One is a Problem that I easily can see being killed off as MB has to pay billions for their Diesel FRAUD!

    AMG One is DEAD AUTO before it even leaves the factory.

    Moon Shot FAILED!

    failure GIF

    • Haha 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

    Meanwhile Aston Martin is getting their seven chuckles over this while they ready their Hypercar for release. The One will be old news in 2021.

     

    It also appears that the One’s issues extend beyond simple emission restrictions hence the two year delay.

     

    https://carbuzz.com/news/aston-martin-is-laughing-at-mercedes-amg-s-latest-struggle

     

     

    They company that buys AMG engines and transmissions and Mercedes infotainment is laughing at Mercedes?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    20 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    They company that buys AMG engines and transmissions and Mercedes infotainment is laughing at Mercedes?

    See dfelts post above outlining all the issues Mercedes is dealing with. And yes they are laughing because theirs is almost ready while Benz can’t figure out their own $h! so much so that they delayed it for two years while claiming “emissions problems” when that is clearly NOT the only issue. 

     

    And the Valkyrie is using a Cosworth V12, not from AMG. 

    Edited by surreal1272
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I don't think it is dead at all and that's kind of odd to say it's dead while they just stated they're still working on it... Also to say it is old tech..? Huh? 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    16 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

    I don't think it is dead at all and that's kind of odd to say it's dead while they just stated they're still working on it... Also to say it is old tech..? Huh? 

    Yes, I take the risk of an ASSumption that at a 2yr delay, Auto technology will leap frog this auto and be old tech at the rate MB is going to attempt to address the issues.

    I might end up being an ASS :P if they really deliver it in 2 years, but how would it be relevant when others are surpassing them already?

    I something that was shown off 2 years ago and now delayed another 2 years being 4 years old not old tech?

    I do not see F1 or Formula E stopping yearly development to wait for AMG to get their Halo Car built and working.

    AMG One will be a 4yr old concept if they get it working to deliver to their customers. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    26 minutes ago, dfelt said:

    Yes, I take the risk of an ASSumption that at a 2yr delay, Auto technology will leap frog this auto and be old tech at the rate MB is going to attempt to address the issues.

    I might end up being an ASS :P if they really deliver it in 2 years, but how would it be relevant when others are surpassing them already?

    I something that was shown off 2 years ago and now delayed another 2 years being 4 years old not old tech?

    I do not see F1 or Formula E stopping yearly development to wait for AMG to get their Halo Car built and working.

    AMG One will be a 4yr old concept if they get it working to deliver to their customers. 

    What else is in the auto pipeline that'll be pumping out 1200hp and weighing 2,600-2,800lbs? There is one thing for sure, I don't think it would be irrelevant even in 2 years. People are still talking about the McLaren F1 20 years later... even though it's been surpassed with technology long ago. 

    I would agree if it was only ICE but with it being a full plug-in hybrid with all of that technology, I can't see it being irrelevant in 2 years or even 5 years. Unless there are skunkworks programs from other major automakers, this will still be 1 of 1 in it's "segment". 

    Personally, I am not a fan of the whole stripped out full blown race car made street legal. It just doesn't suit my driving style or "needs". I think a true GT car would be best for me if money wasn't an issue but this thing will rip, if they get everything sorted out. 

    • Thanks 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    ^ Agreed with the above principal; tech just doesn't move nearly fast enough to make anything 4 years old 'irrelevant'. Most production redesigns are on a 7 year window as it is. I don't feel that a 2-yr delay does anything other than cause a dozen serious buyers a longer wait.
    That said; the car as a marketing tool IS irrelevant. Not going to sell a single 'nuther A- or C-class if this thing eventually sees the light of day.

    • Thanks 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

    See dfelts post above outlining all the issues Mercedes is dealing with. And yes they are laughing because theirs is almost ready while Benz can’t figure out their own $h! so much so that they delayed it for two years while claiming “emissions problems” when that is clearly NOT the only issue. 

     

    And the Valkyrie is using a Cosworth V12, not from AMG. 

    The Valkerie is Cosworth but all those Vantages they are selling are AMG powered, and rumor is their SUV is AMG powered too.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...