Variance

The Detroit News: 2006 Mercury Milan Review

12 posts in this topic

Mercury's Milan is the car to beat

By Paul & Anita Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

We're still arguing over how to pronounce the name of Mercury's new midsize sedan -- locals want to say "MY-lin" like the drag strip -- but we're fairly certain the brand planners were going for the sophisticated images of the Italian fashion capital.

That's not a bad connection for the 2006 Mercury Milan, an elegant and likable companion to the new Ford Fusion. We tested a top-of-the-line Milan Premier V-6, with a sticker price of $25,200.

SHE: If we actually had to plunk our own money down on one of the new midsize sedans from Ford Motor Co., I'd argue in favor of the Fusion over the Milan. I just think it has a sassier, bolder look than the Mercury. I don't have a problem with the Milan; I just like the Fusion better.

HE: Wow! You're usually so girly when it comes to cars. Guess that's not the case with the Fusion, which I think looks clumsy and grotesque in the worst macho kind of way. I find the Milan much more soft, feminine and appealing. SHE: It's just a matter of taste. Once you're behind the wheel, they're pretty identical. I put a couple hundred miles on both cars, but I found myself stuck in the Milan during Dream Cruise week in a traffic jam that lasted 90 minutes. It's at times like that where the cabin either makes it or breaks it. I basically set myself up with my cell phone, an iced tea and the optional audiophile sound system on full blast. I actually felt pretty comfortable as I crawled along I-696. The cabin feels secure and looks attractive, with an unusual combination of metals and leather.

HE: That cockpit is also surprisingly roomy, considering that Ford started with the Mazda6 as the mechanical base. The Mazda is one of the smaller midsize cars in the class, but the Milan doesn't feel so small on the inside, despite its compact exterior dimensions. And that's one of the places where Ford did it absolutely right with the Milan; they've transformed a sporty Japanese sedan into a larger, roomier American-style sedan with great performance, agility and comfort. And they've done it at a pretty attractive price that's right on top of its two chief competitors in the class, the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry.

SHE: I can tell you where the Milan edges the Accord and Camry. There's a stretch of freeway near our house where you need to cross three lanes of traffic in a very short space to get to a left-hand exit. That's a real acid test for our cars, because if you can't get up to speed in a hurry, you miss the exit. Our Milan Premier, with its twin-cam 3.0-liter V-6 and six-speed automatic transmission, passed that little test with flying colors. We didn't have a stopwatch, but the Milan sure feels quicker than the Honda or the Toyota. The car is also wonderfully nimble. We could change lanes with ease, negotiate curvy local roads with confidence and point the Milan into the tightest parking space with no problem.

HE: Ford kept most of the good things about the Mazda6 when it morphed that architecture and set of components into the new Fusion and Milan. It also gave them a more comfortable ride and a bigger cabin. We noticed a few flaws on the Milan, notably a rear parcel shelf that's so tall, it really obscures your vision, and some Michelin Pilot tires that seemed to generate lots of road noise. It really annoyed me, too, that Ford would cut corners on its top-of-the-line midsize sedans by installing a manual front passenger seat next to the power driver's seat, and then put a manual recline lever on the "power" driver's seat.

SHE: You also have to pay extra for key safety features that are standard on the Accord, including side air bags and curtains and traction control. I'd like to see more family- and female-friendly features offered, including a rear-seat DVD entertainment system, a navigation system and adjustable pedals.

HE: Aha! I don't care how much you rave about the styling on the Fusion. For my money, the new Mercury Milan is the car to beat in midsize sedans.

2006 Mercury Milan Premier

Type: Front-engine, front-wheel drive, five-passenger sedan

Price: Base, $23,495 (inc. $650 destination charge); as tested, $25,200

Engine: 3.0-liter V-6; 221-hp; 205 lb-ft torque

EPA fuel economy: 21 mpg city/29 mpg highway

Where built: Hermosillo, Mexico

Key competitors: Chevrolet Impala, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Stratus, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata, Mitsubishi Galant, Nissan Altima, Pontiac G6, Pontiac Grand Prix, Toyota Camry, Volkswagen Jetta

12-month insurance cost, according to AAA Michigan: $1,503 (Estimate. Rates may be higher or lower, depending on coverage and driving record.)

Anita's rating:

Likes: Inviting two-tone cabin with high-quality leather and materials. Elegant gauges and simple controls. Standard 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS. Lots of equipment, including six-disc CD changer, tilt/telescope steering column.

Dislikes: Side air bags and curtains cost extra. Front passenger seat doesn't fold flat. No adjustable pedals or navigation. No vents in rear. No cargo net in trunk.

Paul's rating:

Likes: Tasteful and sophisticated exterior -- more appealing than Fusion. Lively 3.0L V-6 engine. Smooth 6-speed automatic is well-geared for performance. Extremely agile for a midsize sedan.

Dislikes: High rear parcel shelf cuts visibility. Excessive tire noise from Michelin Pilots. On top-of-the-line model, no power front passenger seat and no power recline for driver.

He drove, she drove Anita and Paul Lienert are partners in Lienert & Lienert, an Ann Arbor automotive information services company.

Posted Image

Oh my god, the Lienerts liked the Milan...hell hath frozen over.

Oh my god, the Lienerts liked the Milan...hell hath frozen over.

[post="12040"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, ir freaked me out when I read that... :huh:

nearly fell asleep looking at the picture! ford does such a bad job they may as well just use the fusion! no re-badge... as gm did in the 80's GMC/Chevrolet suburban Edited by Cremazie

These two induce uncontrollable vomiting from me- there should be a disclaimer banner on their articles.

>"Side air bags and curtains cost extra."<<
Isn't this a fallacy? If you have air bags on your car; they weren't free even if standard. Mercury gives you the option of not chosing them, which is a plus in my book. Edited by balthazar

The Milan's front end goes better with this bodystyle than the Fusion's. Ford tried sticking "aggressive" details on a rather anonymous car body, and it fails IMO.

It was very smart of Ford to start with Mazda-6. I hate to say it, but the Fusion / Milan out do the Malibu / G6 on interior details and out do the Malibu on the outside.

These two induce uncontrollable vomiting from me- there should be a disclaimer banner on their articles.

>"Side air bags and curtains cost extra."<<
Isn't this a fallacy? If you have air bags on your car; they weren't free even if standard. Mercury gives you the option of not chosing them, which is a plus in my book.

[post="12148"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hey, just be happy she didn't say you should pass on these because the vanity mirror was unlit.

ABS is optional at least on base 4-cylinder Milan's however. Sounds like a great and real surprising review, especially coming from them. I'd take it if a front bench were offered, and I'd kick out the 4-cylinder from Milan-make it V-6 only-and add more luxury equipment and different styling, and of course, get the Duratec 35 V-6 and available all-wheel-drive in there ASAP. How about a Milan LTS and station wagon?

I don't mind the looks. Better than the Camry anyway. Even though GM may lose some sales to his vehicle, I'd rather lose to Ford than to Toyota or Honda - at least the money stays in North America. Kudos to Ford. Let's see more of the Big Two coming out swinging.

I like the Milan the best of the American triplets (Fusion/Milan/Zephyr). I just wish that Xenon headlamps were optional on the Milan, it just seems fitting. Everyday that I'm at work, I see a new silver Milan across the street at the Ford dealership, and it reminds me a lot of a VW. I find it to be stylish. I went in to get a brochure today, and the salesman that we worked through to get my Plymouth Breeze asked me if I was ready to trade in my car yet, and I said NOOO. (I'm a Mopar Guy, myself)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead