NEW spy pic of Escalade EXT front...

caddycruiser

...fresh shot of the Escalade, this time the EXT model, which almost clearly shows what the front looks like:

Posted Image

Only less than positive thing that myself and others seem to be commenting on after seeing both this pic and the leaked pic of the rear of the regular version is how much flatter, and bare the sides look--seem to have lost the very nice lower panels and flares that made the Caddy's unique, and now more resembles a current Avalanche with no cladding or moldings...

Does it really need that black plastic triangle thingy between the back of the cab and the bed? Looks okay otherwise.

[post="11963"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

As an ex-Avalanche owner, the simple answer is yes. Because of the way these trucks are basically a Suburban with the roof (and therefore that added support) chopped off and then a big door (aka the Midgate) added, the sail panels hide additional bracing against twisting underneath, in addition to being a rather important, IMO, design element. Even if there was a way to stiffen the body in that spot enough without them, the overall look would be SO much like a regular Crew cab pickup, it'd be kind of strange. Edited by caddycruiser

those have got to be 22 inch rims, they look huge!!!

[post="11995"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, and if you'll notice for those of us who have seen the other Escalade pics, they seem to be at least one of the actual wheel designs that will be offered/standard.

Knowing that so many of the ones they sell ditch the factory 17" rims before they even get driven, it comes as no suprise that Caddy would see fit to bolt on huge chromies right from the get go....though I can see people still wanting to be unique or get a better looking design and still changing them out.

As an ex-Avalanche owner, the simple answer is yes.  Because of the way these trucks are basically a Suburban with the roof (and therefore that added support) chopped off and then a big door (aka the Midgate) added, the sail panels hide additional bracing against twisting underneath, in addition to being a rather important, IMO, design element.  Even if there was a way to stiffen the body in that spot enough without them, the overall look would be SO much like a regular Crew cab pickup, it'd be kind of strange.

[post="11966"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This just helps prove that there isn't much "all new" about the GMT-900. A better interior, a refreshed exterior, some power train improvements, and that's about it. It's all good, but it doesn't sound good enough to stay competitive for a more than a couple of years.

Mark

You can tell what the front looks like to some degree. From what I can tell, it looks pretty good. I personally feel the cladding on the side of the Escalade wasn't/isn't too classy. With Caddy bringing the Escalade more upscale with the improved interior, I think getting good of the cladding is a good move.

You can tell what the front looks like to some degree. From what I can tell, it looks pretty good.

I personally feel the cladding on the side of the Escalade wasn't/isn't too classy. With Caddy bringing the Escalade more upscale with the improved interior, I think getting good of the cladding is a good move.

[post="12017"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Guess that's true, because you have to change SOMETHING, or it will really look re-hashed. Looks, from this pic, like they adopted a new skinnier, taller look (even tough it really isn't) to be much more in fitting with the A&S gunfighter look of the cars right now.

This just helps prove that there isn't much "all new" about the GMT-900.  A better interior, a refreshed exterior, some power train improvements, and that's about it.  It's all good, but it doesn't sound good enough to stay competitive for a more than a couple of years.

Mark

[post="12010"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Pretty much...which is still really worrying me, for GM's sake, even though the GMT-900's are one of their supposed "blow you away" products. Mainly because, styling alone, these new trucks aren't going to get very many interested looks....the only saving grace will be a MUCH more functional and adaptable interior, both from a materials/design standpoint, tons of cool features, and a massive improvement in both 3rd seat access and stowability (i.e., it better at least fold flat, or they're screwed). Edited by caddycruiser

GM's truck offerings (aside from Escalade and Avalanche) have never been styling leaders. Though they came off as stodgy after the '94 Ram and '97 F-150, I think the more formal, less gaudy design has worked well for them, especially in light of the new disjointed Titan and cartoonish Ram. There are alot of people who, damnit, just want a truck that looks like a truck. No 2-inch diameter brush guards, no meaningless chrome faux skidplate, no Kenworth grille - just a truck. Avalanche is, of course, an exception. However, it treads the line well betweeen being bold and eye-catching and downright disturbing with purposeful flares and styling. There's no doubt the interior of your standard Escalade is now outclassed by everything but the even more ancient Land Cruiser/LX450, but I still think the outside holds its place well today. Putting aside the fact that its cliche thanks to hip-hop culture, its less 'heavy' than a Navigator and a lot less ridiculous than a QX56, which by the way is a true pig among pigs. Anyway, that's just my two cents; I'll leave final judgement for the final product.

This just helps prove that there isn't much "all new" about the GMT-900.  A better interior, a refreshed exterior, some power train improvements, and that's about it.  It's all good, but it doesn't sound good enough to stay competitive for a more than a couple of years.

Mark

Let's see: a new interior, exterior, and powertrain doesn't make it "all new" enough for you? What else would you like to have changed? I mean, what's left? Do you want radical new plastic clips for the wire harnesses too? :rolleyes:

I'm taking a factory tour at the Janesville plant on Monday..anybody think I'll maybe get a sneak peek at the new trucks?  Are they even in production yet?

[post="12144"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep. There was a report from GM that pre-production was done, and some are actually sitting closed away in the plant right now, under wraps. Here's a quote from another board:

GM Drive Time (GMtv) Reports that some GMT-900 models are complete and are currently under wraps at the Janesville assembly plant. Gary Malkus the Janesville plant manager reports that they will be unvield in about a month. He also states that the production of the GMT-900 model(s) will begin in January.

This was at the end of August, beginning of this month, so the first images should actually be seen by the end of this month, start of October.

Here's video of the news conference, so you can hear it yourself:
GM TV Edited by caddycruiser

The cladding is lost, but how do you know the stand out overall styling is? If you took away the front end of the Ford & Dodge trucks and SUVs there isn't much there. Face it, very few products have "different" side profiles from alike products (though cross-over SUVs seem to be the exception to this).

I really didn't mean it that strongly....just kind of noticed, after all the various pics we've seen, that it just seems flatter and "thinner" than the current trucks. Not a bad thing necessarily, just different.

Mark

ehhh... it's a structural element of the truck, if the old one needed it then the new one most probably needs it. I don't see how that means that the truck is not all new. It's like saying that the last Tahoe had a frame and a body, and since the new one does too then it can't be all new.

Ah-ha once said about the front end: "wait till you see the front on this Escalade." It's pretty clear from these pictures that they are going with a Sixteen-ish design, but the final product is still left to be seen, and I can't help but think we will all be blown away by how good it actually looks. We'll see. The interior on all these trucks is gonna rock too. I can't see why there is much reason to complain. The power figures are outstanding. I beleive it was evok who said ride and handling were both substantially improved. The exteriors will be more than freshened, they look to be elegant and refined and cutting edge. I'm not sure there's any reason to complain on a truck we haven't seen yet.

Ah-ha once said about the front end: "wait till you see the front on this Escalade."

It's pretty clear from these pictures that they are going with a Sixteen-ish design, but the final product is still left to be seen, and I can't help but think we will all be blown away by how good it actually looks.

[post="12298"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Sixteen's looks blew me away because the design elements suited each other well. A pick-up truck with big, chrome wheels and a Sixteen grille, stunning it may be, will look, well, like a pick-up truck with big, chrome wheels and a Sixteen grille. Doesn't matter, though... Puff Diddly & Co. will love it even more.

Even if there was a way to stiffen the body in that spot enough without them, the overall look would be SO much like a regular Crew cab pickup, it'd be kind of strange.

[post="11966"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Good point -- that is the the main way I can distinguish the non-cladded Avalanches from the crew cab Silveradoes at a distance :P

I'm taking a factory tour at the Janesville plant on Monday..anybody think I'll maybe get a sneak peek at the new trucks?  Are they even in production yet?

[post="12144"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yeah some of them are probaly already built, when i worked at lordstown i seen a Cobalt in august 2003, 4 months before it was shown to the public. so yeah id say its possible..

I keep seeing everybody complain about how these 900's aren't going to be "revolutionary", but instead are evolutions of the current designs. Has anybody noticed how different the current designs are from the day they were originally introduced. I mean the whole front fascia has changed on the pickups (multiple times). Does anybody think that maybe GM purposefully makes gradual changes to these vehicles so that the new designs aren't radical departures from the old bodies, and are less likely to completely be turned off (See Ford, bodystyle, late 90's). It would be interesting to see the new 2007 900's with the ORIGINAL (1999-2000) bodystyle of each model. Then I think we could get a true idea just how much has been changed on these models

Only less than positive thing that myself and others seem to be commenting on after seeing both this pic and the leaked pic of the rear of the regular version is how much flatter, and bare the sides look--seem to have lost the very nice lower panels and flares that made the Caddy's unique, and now more resembles a current Avalanche with no cladding or moldings...

[post="11962"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The cladding is lost, but how do you know the stand out overall styling is? 

[post="12193"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

FWIW, I think those are black panels covering the sides and doors, so we really don't know whether there's any cladding or molding under there or not.

Myself, I agree that plastic moldings do not befit a premium offering. The current-gen Escallade's I don't have much problem with, but I'd prefer that the "molding" be stamped into the steel itself rather than tacked on later.

-RBB

FWIW, I think those are black panels covering the sides and doors, so we really don't know whether there's any cladding or molding under there or not.

Myself, I agree that plastic moldings do not befit a premium offering.  The current-gen Escallade's I don't have much problem with, but I'd prefer that the "molding" be stamped into the steel itself rather than tacked on later.

-RBB

[post="13673"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If you've ever looked at an Escalade closely, you'll realize that the "cladding" on them is NOT plastic, but actually a formed sheetmetal piece. Actually, there are NO plastic moldings on the Caddy versions at all, unless, of course, you count the bumper covers, window trim, etc.

If you've ever looked at an Escalade closely, you'll realize that the "cladding" on them is NOT plastic, but actually a formed sheetmetal piece.  Actually, there are NO plastic moldings on the Caddy versions at all, unless, of course, you count the bumper covers, window trim, etc.

[post="13695"][/post]

Hmm.. Thanks - I did not know that. I saw the cut lines, and assumed they were plastic:

Posted Image

I do still think they look tacked on, thought. Don't get me wrong - it's not unattractive. But, given a ground up exterior redesign, I'd hope that they make the side look substantial without moldings - like the SRX, for example.

-RBB

Hmm.. Thanks - I did not know that.  I saw the cut lines, and assumed they were plastic:

Posted Image

I do still think they look tacked on, thought.  Don't get me wrong - it's not unattractive.  But, given a ground up exterior redesign, I'd hope that they make the side look substantial without moldings - like the SRX, for example.

-RBB

[post="13705"][/post]

Good point, and the more I compare "old" to "new", I can see why the new one seems to be going for a different stance/detailing. Virtually every new Caddy has "flat" sides, so to speak, to correspond with the other sharp, straight angles that make up the rest of the design. As such, the Escalade taking such an approach will only make it look that much more modern and sophisticated "Caddy".

Can't wait to see ALL of these trucks officially!

Does it really need that black plastic triangle thingy between the back of the cab and the bed? Looks okay otherwise.

[post="11963"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's a functional Flying Butress. Yes it's necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

...fresh shot of the Escalade, this time the EXT model, which almost clearly shows what the front looks like:

Posted Image

[post="11962"][/post]

i cant wait :P

• 1 month later...