Cars you may never see again

LosAngeles

There were cars I used to see tons of when I was a kid, many of which have basically disappeared. Plenty of cars have been noted in my Car Spotting posts that I had missed for a good while, but there are sadly some that are pretty much gone forever. I mean, I can't remember the last time I've seen a: -Dodge Polara -77 Chrysler New Yorker like my grandpa had -B- or C-body Chrysler wagon -Fury or Coronet like the cops used to drive. -early 70s Charger or Satellite (it's like Chryslers just die off or something) -Oldsmobile Firenza (H or J-body) -pre-80 Buick Estate Wagon -first-gen Celica fastback -Audi Fox -first-gen Audi 4000 -Audi GT Coupe -some of those weirder-greenhoused 70s B and C-body BOP coupes -Buick Special -U-boat Ford that wasn't a Thunderbird. -Olds Omega One of these may be named off in Car Spotting 2-mar-roe!! But it's been a long time....

There was a Europa locally when I was growing up. I just saw one at the Limerock show. There was a few others some I had forgotten about but I seem to have forgotten again.

[post="12108"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't even get me started on cars I've never seen in person a day in my life.

"some of those weirder-greenhoused 70s B and C-body BOP coupes"

got that covered, litterly down in the garage. assuming you mean with the semi fastback w/ large side windows in the ???? C pillor ?? three side windows in other words ?

[post="12112"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep, those, plus those really heavy looking C-body 2-doors that had the rear quarter window encased in the vinyl top, kinda like the Coupe de ville's window, only extended further back

1980-1982 Thunderbirds and Cougars, aka "box 'birds" Mercury M-100 Oldsmobile Touring Sedan Early 80s Buick Electra Early 80s Crown Vic and Grand Marquis in coupe form Ford Fairmont/LTD/Mercury Zephyr/Monarch Pontiac Phoenix Dodge Mirada Pontiac 6000 Edited by mustang84

I swear I haven't seen a honda, toyota or datsun made earlier than the early '80s in forever. Did see a '72 Polara this past weekend. What I always wonder about is hugely popular cars like the Pinto; haven't seen one of those in years & years either. (>Insert quip about exploding here<) I used to kinda maintain a 'cut-off' year in my head: the year back-to that you'd still see infrequently running around. I remember when it inched up thru the later '60s, then it seemed to leapfrog over most of the '70s up to '77. Now it's seems to be at about '87 or thereabouts. The only exception is '70s Darts; I still them every once in a while.

More: -the old notchback Vega sedan -Plymouth Arrow Jet -most of those 70s Dodge Colts (it's funny how some were compacts and others were intermediates, but they were all Dodge Colts) -Pontiac T1000 (as it is, I don't see many Chevettes, but the Pontiac version seems long gone) -Maserati Biturbo -the last-gen 510 and first-gen Stanza -Datsun 610 (a hatch whose profile was kinda the prototype of most of today's 3-doors)

Balthazar, yes the Pinto!...I had forgot about that car because I never see it anymore and the Ford Maverick too...nowhere to be seen. And remember Mercury had a version of the Pinto, called the Bobcat. Well, you never see that one.

Ford Maverick, actually not a bad looking car:

Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

That one Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon or whatever it was called where it was like a hatchback.  Anyone remember it?  I think it was from the early 80s.

[post="12278"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Prety hard to find, but I see those (and their Century twins) every now and again....

I see at least two of those fastback late-70's Olds Cutlass sedans fairly often. One light blue, the other tan. Too bad they weren't more popular... I really like the Buick Century Turbo Coupe on that bodystyle, and the Olds 4-4-2 isn't bad looking either, but it has less motor than the Buick of that time. A '78 Olds 4-4-2 with a 455 Rocket... now you're talkin'!

There was a Europa locally when I was growing up. I just saw one at the Limerock show. There was a few others some I had forgotten about but I seem to have forgotten again.

[post="12108"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

When I was a kid in the late '70s, I had a neighbor that had a Europa...dark blue... then he moved and I never saw it again.... I've never seen one since, even at car shows...

I saw an "aeroback" Cutlass Salon 4 door yesterday. It was 2 tone silver and gray with rally wheels and a red interior. It was in suprisingly excellent shape. Still see quite a few of those, along with the Centuries running around here, which suprises me considering they were only made in 78-79, and weren't a very popular bodystyle even when new.

I haven't seen one of those in years... same with cars like the '77-79 Phoenix, '80s X-body Phoenix... there are many '70s cars I can think of that I haven't seen in person in many years.... like the '79-80 Chrysler Newport and nearly identical '80-81 Plymouth Grand Fury, the Dodge St. Regis (90% of them were probably demolished in '80s tv shows like 'TJ Hooker' and 'Hunter'.. :)

I saw '74-76 Mercury Montego 2dr in traffic yesterday in very good shape..I thought it was a Cougar until I saw the grille.

I saw a clean Buick Reatta the other day..first time I've seen one in years.. Edited by moltar

the '77-79 Phoenix, '80s X-body Phoenix...

[post="12332"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LOL, all Phoenixes are X-bodies....the front-drive version just sucks so badly, one forgets how good the rear-drive version really was.

LOL, all Phoenixes are X-bodies....the front-drive version just sucks so badly, one forgets how good the rear-drive version really was.

[post="12335"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah...I forgot the RWD ones were X-bodies also...I meant the '80s FWD shitboxes...

It must be the various areas we live in. I see Buick Reattas often. And I also see AMC cars now and then. They are still around. I never see Hupmobiles ever. One car that one saw alot of on the street when they were producing them is the Ford Contour...I almost never see this car anymore. What happens to these cars, do they die early and end up in junk yards? Edited by HarleyEarl

That one Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon or whatever it was called where it was like a hatchback.  Anyone remember it?  I think it was from the early 80s.

[post="12278"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My parents had a cutlass Salon like that. That car was so smooth but it was kinda funny looking. People alwaysthought it was a Citation. It had a 110 HP 260 V-8. Very slow off the start but a very smooth car.

I just saw a Matador X at the Adirondac Nationals Saturday. That the first Matador in maybe a decade but it was a car show so it doesnt count. the last Fifth Avenues are getting slim now finally, there used to be alot of them. Please dont dis them, I still have my grandfathers last car a 82 NewYorker that became the FIfth Ave in 83 when NYer and Imperial went FWD K'ish. It is one sweet car let me tell you. I never understood luxury cars until I inherited that 82 NYer. So smooth, so quite, so comfortable, the entire world goes away when you sit behind the wheel. Dont see many 124 Spiders anymore unless at a show.

Those Beetles are basically held by the enthusiasts now....and they're kept tightly under wraps for the most part....you'll see one every once in a blue mon that isn't restored/hooked up, kinda like seeing someone still using a 68 Nova as a transportation car, but even then, in both cases, they'll still tell you it's not for sale, and chances are, they're asked every day. You're right about the other three. Vegas have likely been cut up by the dragstrip crowd (since a smallblock could fit in the engoine bay).

I saw a couple old trucks in the last week (remember when they were called 'mini-pickups' and were all Japanese in origin)?...a '70s Chevy LUV pickup, rusty but still running, and a battered, rusty mid '70s Toyota pickup... a yellow late '70s Ford Courier with NO rust....it's very strange to see rusty cars around here (Denver)...must have been from out of state.. I was thinking the other day that I rarely see cars older than 15 years in my daily commute....must be my neighborhood, where my office is, and areas I frequent... Edited by moltar

I mighta missed this one, but how about the infamous Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon twins? Never mind the GLH version! Also, the 1st-gen Civic, one of which I am still the proud owner. B)

Here are cars I use to see a lot that I rarely see anymore: 1.Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon. 2. Ford Pinto. 3. Chevrolet Chevette. 4. Hyundai Excel. 5.Yugo. 6.AMC/Renault Allience/Encore. 7.Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare. 8.AMC Pacer. 9.GM X-Bodies. 10.Dodge/Plymouth Colt 11.VW Rabbit.

Dodge Palara Plymouth Valient Dodge Aries/Plymouth Reliant.. thing Hey, who remembers that video someone made advertising their 110hp Aries -- that was HYSTERICAL! Does anyone have it?

Here are cars I use to see a lot that I rarely see anymore:

2. Ford Pinto.

[post="13660"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I saw a Pinto just yesterday. I was at the Mufflerman trying to find out what was wrong with my car's exhaust (I need gaskets and a new muffler), and there was a silver Pinto parked right out front. And I'm talking mint condition! If you ever, for any reason wanted to buy a cherry Pinto, this was the one! It belonged to this old woman (she probably figured it was the last car she'd ever buy) who wouldn't stop talking to the Mufflerman employee. I guess they knew each other from way back, or she knew his dad, or something. She ended up getting stuck in the Mufflerman's little exit ramp as she was trying to leave. As I pulled up behind her, I suddenly understood why those things caught fire: The gas tank is all of a foot from the bumper! The muffler must've only been a foot long, if that! There's abolutely nothing there to absorb the shock of a rear end collision! And, I must admit, I had a bit of a sadistic urge to plow right into that Pinto with all my might, just to see what would happen. :D

I didn't do it, but I made up for it by doing a wipeout in a parking lot with 3 friends aboard. Always good for a laugh.

As of the past year I've seen plenty of Mavericks, pintos, Phoenixes and even the occasional Allante. Cars that I have seen in the past but have not seen in person in over a year... 80s Reatta Lamborghini Miura 50s Fulie 1st gen. Vette Beretta GTZ 50s Porsche 356 speedster Corvair Lakewood 70 Charger Daytona GTO Judge (a real one) GMC Syclone Ferrari F50 80s Caamro 1LE Sunbird Turbo All the rest that you guys named I saw at some point on the road, in someone's driveway or at a carshow. Edited by Sixty8panther

Mercury Bobcat Pontiac Astre Lincoln Versailles Ford Granada/Merc Monarch coupes (old man on my street has a sedan, completely primered 80ish Dodge St Regis/Plymouth Gran Fury any pre 84 GM mid size wagon any pre 77 GM full size wagon (i think they were all used at demolition derbys) Lincoln Mark VI four-doors 78-80 Cutlass Salon/Buick Century aerobacks Chevette/T1000 any GM X-Body FWD or RWD Buick Reatta 80s Mary Kay Regals (I swear they used to be everywhere) AMC Pacer