Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northstar

Aston Martin Turns a Profit

8 posts in this topic

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=13102

By Mark Rechtin
Automotive News / August 19, 2005

MONTEREY, Calif. -- Aston Martin finally comes in black.

Ulrich Bez, CEO of Aston Martin Lagonda, said the boutique automaker posted an operating profit in the first and second quarters of 2005. The profits are the first that Aston Martin has posted since the early 1960s, the company said.

Bez declined to give a figure here at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

Ford Motor Co. typically does not break out specific profit and loss figures for its Premier Automotive Group divisions. But executives have previously given vague statements about the profitability of Volvo, the breakeven status of Land Rover and Aston Martin, and the major losses of Jaguar.

Aston Martin has been in receivership seven times in its history but never stopped operating, Bez said.

Through its history, Bez said, the automaker has been a toy for rich entrepreneurs who poured money down a sinkhole in exchange for the prestige of running Aston Martin. But Ford's fiscal discipline has proved that the company is capable of generating an operating profit, he said.

"Lots of car companies went insolvent and disappeared," Bez said. "Aston Martin has always come back, and now we are really alive."

With the introduction of the DB9 and V8 Vantage coupes, Aston Martin expects to sell worldwide about 5,000 units in 2005 and again in 2006. About 35 percent of the volume will be in the United States. In 2004, Aston Martin sold 2,400 units worldwide.

Aston Martin has 125 dealerships worldwide, but Bez wants to increase that figure to 145 globally.

Said Bez: "We are looking eye-to-eye with Ferrari."

Thank god, it's about time! Aston, Jag, and Land Rover have been drains on FoMoCo's budget...they need to start pulling their own weight for a change.

I'm sure Jag could EASILY be sold. There's a lot of potential in that company. They have such a rich history and a major automotive name. As for AM, they're a great company. I had no idea they weren't selling out..?

What really new car has come out of Jaguar in the past near-decade? The X-Type wagon? No wonder they're in the dumps.

What really new car has come out of Jaguar in the past near-decade? The X-Type wagon? No wonder they're in the dumps.

[post="683"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The XJ was all-new (and all-aluminum) 2-3 years ago. It was selling great when it first came out and now it's sales are in the dumps. It's quite highly rated, too. Something has to be going wrong with Jag - sales experience, service or just bad advertising.

The XJ was all-new (and all-aluminum) 2-3 years ago.  It was selling great when it first came out and now it's sales are in the dumps.  It's quite highly rated, too.  Something has to be going wrong with Jag - sales experience, service or just bad advertising.

[post="845"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Their design, marketing, and variety sucks. They need someone other than Ford to own them.. someone who'll spend time on them.

I actually like the latest Jag ads and the XJ is a damn gorgeous car. In 2004 Jaguar dealers rated 1st in sales experience according to J.D. Power, IIRC. I think one problem is as a brand, though improved since being aquired by Ford, their reliability is still below average. Plus, even though I like the ads, they only advertise two of their models regularly: the S-Type and XJ. They've all but given up on the X-Type and I've seen zero ads (TV or otherwise) for the XK. The X-Type is being killed so there goes Jag's entry-level car (and most attainable car), so that's not going to help matters. Jaguar needs a hit soon.

Back to Aston, I'm glad to see them on their feet. I mean, how could you not turn a profit with a good-looking machine like this?:

Posted Image

Im glad to hear a profit. Its amazing the story behind Aston Martin its amazing and good that none of the owners ever changed the name. Aston Martin like Jaguar makes nitch cars and this is just a plain old hard way to make a living, I hope both of them can survive, it sure seems like its going to be tough.

1922 Grand Prix car
Posted Image

1925 twin cam 16 valve engine (four per)
Posted Image

1950/51 300C - opps I mean DB2 team car
Posted Image

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room