Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarleyEarl

Volkswagen

27 posts in this topic

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103162

2005 Frankfurt: VW going back to its roots, says it will develop 5-10 new models in next five years
DALE JEWETT | Automotive News
Posted Date: 9/12/05
FRANKFURT -- Over the next five years, Volkswagen will introduce between five and 10 new models to its lineup, brand chief Wolfgang Bernhard said Monday.

The new models would not be replacements for existing VW products, Bernhard said at the Frankfurt auto show.

The new-product offensive is part of Bernhard's effort to move VW back to its traditional positioning of good value and quality engineering. That is a turnaround from former Volkswagen Chairman Ferdinand Piech's strategy to expand VW into the luxury segment with vehicles such as the Phaeton sedan and Touareg SUV.

"Volkswagen will grow strong," Bernhard said while introducing the Eos hardtop convertible. "We know where our roots like, in the heart of the value segment. High quality and good value are the keys to doing that."

He cited the four-seat Eos, which goes on sale in Europe next spring, as an example would have a base price of 25,950 euros, or about $31,900 at current exchange rates. U.S. sales begin in May 2006.

The Eos' five-part folding-roof system includes a sunroof

WHA?? ADDING up to 10 new models ON TOP OF their current lineup is going to 'take them back to their roots'?? VW's roots were simple, dependable quality vehicles than lasted.

Hadn't at least a huge chunk of all that development dollar be spent on improving the quality of existing models instead of merely doubling the number of rocky-quality choices??

In all my years watching the auto industry, I have never seen a marque wander farther off course for as long as VW has. They have no earthly idea what their roots are anymore.

I agree. Volkswagen is so all over the map, who knows what it is. Really the strangest strategies ever by a car company. They have multiple personality disorder.

KDF - Beetle - Microbus - 410 - Rabbit - Golf - Fox - Scirraco - Jetta - Passat - Corrado - Phaeton - Touraeg Seems pretty clear cut and logical to me. :lol: Returning to their rots would entail making a direct competitor for each of the following: - Ferrari Enzo - Hummer H1 - Chevy Corvette - Cadillac DTS - Nissan 350Z - Chevy SSR

Yea- I figured that, but regardless: money needs to be thrown at the problem areas before launching more potential problem-carriers.

I've been waiting and hoping for this news, but it seems ironic they'd make this claim in the same article that they intro a $31,000 convertible. How about an $18,000 convertible? How about a base model Golf and Jetta with thrifty, fun gas 4 and diesel engines? How about that retro Microvan with a tough, durable, basic interior? With a Camper variant? How about lowering the price of the Beetle? And how soon can the Phaeton and Toureg be dropped? Also, what is with this styling lately? VW fans loved the functional styling of yore, not this goofy, bloopy pseudo-lux crap you're foisting on us these days.

Maybe they should figure out how to build a car that doesn't need to see the service shop everytime it needs an oil change first, then explore other options.

Sorry, but until VW's get cheaper (as in not approaching Audi prices at all) they will not be returning to their roots.

i really think the car VW is missing the most in its lineup these days is the Corrado, to battle the RSX's and Civics and now Cobalt SS's of the world. The Scirroco/Corrado was a definite VW icon. I would also revive the 'Rabbit'.

Ocnblu hit the nail on the head again. Reg has a point about the Scirraco/Corrado missing from their lineup.

That would be so cool if they did. Even Porsche has gone to water cooling on their flat sixes.

Another really schizo thing about the state of VW these days: the ads. They're still quirky and cute like always, but the cars no longer match that image at all. Bizarre, like the North American arm is in denial about this stupid upmarket push.

To get back to its roots, VW should offer its current lineup, but only with 4 cylinder gasoline and diesel engines. It should eliminate most of the luxury models, with nothing priced over $25,000.

To get back to its roots, VW should offer its current lineup, but only with 4 cylinder gasoline and diesel engines.  It should eliminate most of the luxury models, with nothing priced over $25,000.

[post="16192"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What about Seat and Skoda?

Volkswagen confuses me with some of their VWs potentially that compete with their other brands, like Audi, Seat and Skoda. But isn't it like various GM divisions in some ways?

I read in the paper today Wolfgang said "If we do not survive NA in the next 3 years we will face a crisis." Not good for them, but I'm happy.

What about Seat and Skoda?

[post="16204"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I guess I was mostly thinking about VW's U.S. lineup. I don't know what VW should do in Europe. I guess that cutting VW back to just 4 cylinder models under $25,000 (with Audi taking everything more expensive) makes as much sense as cutting GM back to just Chevrolet and Cadillac.

VW is fine as far as I'm concerned except for the Phaeton. The Tourag is a good SUV that really fits with VW, except it is priced too high and is too luxury for VW. If there were a more stripped version of it with the features and appointments of a Jetta or Passat priced around 30k it would be fine. Let AUDI handle luxury SUVs with the Q7. I really don't think VW's product is lacking, just their focus. If they could improve quality it would be a plus, too. Edited by Croc

I stopped by the local VW dealer today and came to a realization: The Jetta is priced above the Chevrolet Impala and gets worse highway fuel mileage with the 2.5L 5 cylinder and 5 speed. The Passat and Jetta, with their almost simultaneous introductions, will leave the public confused because the bigger car looks so much like the smaller. I like the interior of the Jetta, leatherette is a durable, easy-to-clean upholstery material. If the driving dynamics and overall solid-as-a-rock feel are still there, the car may be saveable. I might stop by one night this week and try out a 5 speed Jetta just to see if it still has that synergistic feeling my '00 GTI had. God, I loved driving that car. It fit so beautifully and had great performance with the 1.8t.

Does everybody on the planet want the plushest car possible these days? I don't believe so... I'd like to see VW come out with a simple, knockabout crossover with a removable top... something like a Thing. I am not sure the new Beduin will fit the bill, and I fear it will be expensive. VW's diesel tech is solid... and they should have a direct replacement for the yeoman 2.0L four here in the states. I see the Beetle now has as its only gas engine the 2.5L 5 cylinder... bah... The Beetle needs to be priced about $4000 cheaper all through the range... and I understand a Golf GL (base model) will no longer be a part of the range offered here. STOOPID!
Edited by ocnblu

Yeah, the 2.5L is a stop-gap engine and not much more. It's torquey but slow... at least it's a PZEV. The Impala and Passat are closer competitors, and both are priced similarly.

Until VW can get cheaper Period, I see sales sliding... They're not cool anymore, and this isn't the late 90s either. :rolleyes:

Maybe they should figure out how to build a car that doesn't need to see the service shop everytime it needs an oil change first, then explore other options.

[post="13544"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Amen!

I stopped by the local VW dealer today and came to a realization:  The Jetta is priced above the Chevrolet Impala and gets worse highway fuel mileage with the 2.5L 5 cylinder and 5 speed.  The Passat and Jetta, with their almost simultaneous introductions, will leave the public confused because the bigger car looks so much like the smaller.  I like the interior of the Jetta, leatherette is a durable, easy-to-clean upholstery material.  If the driving dynamics and overall solid-as-a-rock feel are still there, the car may be saveable.  I might stop by one night this week and try out a 5 speed Jetta just to see if it still has that synergistic feeling my '00 GTI had.  God, I loved driving that car.  It fit so beautifully and had great performance with the 1.8t.

Does everybody on the planet want the plushest car possible these days?  I don't believe so... I'd like to see VW come out with a simple, knockabout crossover with a removable top... something like a Thing.  I am not sure the new Beduin will fit the bill, and I fear it will be expensive.  VW's diesel tech is solid... and they should have a direct replacement for the yeoman 2.0L four here in the states.  I see the Beetle now has as its only gas engine the 2.5L 5 cylinder... bah...  The Beetle needs to be priced about $4000 cheaper all through the range... and I understand a Golf GL (base model) will no longer be a part of the range offered here.  STOOPID!

[post="16374"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm not sure why the new 2.0 turbo is not available in the New Beetle. The NB needs a simple good 4 cylinder as a base engine.

Chas can't get his Passat V6 oil changed anywhere but the dealer. We've tried the local Monroe/Meineke/Goodyear and even Walmart. They either A. don't have the oil filter. B. Don't have the proper viscocity oil. C. Can figure out how to get the filter off or D. any combination of the above. The passat takes 5w-40... I can only seem to find that in Mobil 1 jugs. His passat has a reliabilty record that would make a Kia blush. The dash cluster died, the ECM died, there is now a warning display that says "Emissions Workshop" every time he starts the car. The cup holder broke, the electric mirror control snapped off, and recently he's been using about 2 1/2 quarts of oil between oil changes. All at the ripe old age of 82k miles. Everything except the cup holder has been in 2005. To the people that hold VW/Audi up on a pedistal for their interior design I ask... what's the point if it all falls off in your hand? Edited by Oldsmoboi

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0