Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

The Future of Lincoln

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../608090407/1148

We've heard a lot of this already, but here's some new things that were stated in the article:

In addition, Fields will promise that Ford will roll out nine new models in the next six months, most of which have already been announced.

"The Lincoln MKS will take Lincoln craftsmanship and comfort beyond anything we've built before," Fields said. "Its design communicates power, motion and speed, and it will be packed with more technology and features than any Lincoln before it."

The new sedan will also feature a panoramic vista roof.

The production model is quite similar to the prototype but has been given a cleaner, more aerodynamic design.

"It looks far less Japanese," said Jim Hall, an analyst with AutoPacific in Southfield, who has seen the new Lincoln. He said it could prove a big hit for Ford if offered with the right combination of price and powertrain.

Two more new Lincolns are slated to go on sale this fall. The redesigned Navigator large sport utility vehicle will be in showrooms in September, followed by the all-new MKX crossover utility vehicle in November.

Never saw the problem with building the Continental concept...it didn't look Japanese at all.

Lincoln needs to build most, if not all, of the concepts they've produced in the past couple years.

Seriously, what's the point of making a concept like the Continental and then continuing to pump out Town Cars....

Even if it didn't have all the technical goodies. Let the thing ride on the LS platform with a base V6 3.5 hybrid powertrain and optional V8.

Keep the look the same and ready the lease agents.

Lincoln is in more trouble now than Cadillac was when A&S began, and I don't see any Escalade or CTS type vehicles in the pipeline to turn them around.

I'm afraid the MKS will not turn the company around as much as I or anyone else would want it to, especially if it is close to the concept. The fact that it's FWD does not make the situation any better, either.

Seriously, if Lincoln produced some of its past concepts it would be in much better shape.

I don't think I've seen the revised MKS. Hopefully it really lost its Japanese Generic Luxury Car aura.

Guest YellowJacket894

To tell you the truth, there isn't much hope for FoMoCo. The Mc Donald's of the Auto Industry maybe just be reduced down to Ford in the distant future.

Lincoln needs to build most, if not all, of the concepts they've produced in the past couple years.

Seriously, what's the point of making a concept like the Continental and then continuing to pump out Town Cars....

Even if it didn't have all the technical goodies. Let the thing ride on the LS platform with a base V6 3.5 hybrid powertrain and optional V8. 

Keep the look the same and ready the lease agents.

177949[/snapback]

I agree, I loved all the pre-MKS concepts. The Zephyr, MkX, Mks direction is just aweful.

To tell you the truth, there isn't much hope for FoMoCo. The Mc Donald's of the Auto Industry maybe just be reduced down to Ford in the distant future.

178137[/snapback]

Now Now, McDonalds has improved the quality of their food, and now offers deli sandwiches, that are not only eye catching, but delicious as well. Their Salads are very good as well, and they are expanding their low fat, low calorie menus. Of course, their old reliable burgers, while ancient in design, are tried and true and are still pretty good eatin'.

Proof that Mickey D's is capable of keeping up with the times and consumer wants and needs... but Ford isn't.

Edited by Captainbooyah

It's almost gotten to the point where I don't wanna even bother reading the Ford thread anymore. I really don't know why they can't get they're act together with Lincoln. How hard is it really? Just take a look at what GM did with Cadillac. :(

Edited by deftonesfan867

There was a time when BK and Wendy's seemed to be "the Japanese" and MCD was "Detroit".

McD fought back, and BK is in the dumps. Wendys is an also ran, since Dave died. Other burger chains have caught on to overtake BK and W's, also.

Shows that not all 'Big Businesses' are doomed to fail.

Now Now, McDonalds has improved the quality of their food, and now offers deli sandwiches, that are not only eye catching, but delicious as well. Their Salads are very good as well, and they are expanding their low fat, low calorie menus. Of course, their old reliable burgers, while ancient in design, are tried and true and are still pretty good eatin'.

Proof that Mickey D's is capable of keeping up with the times and consumer wants and needs... but Ford isn't.

178153[/snapback]

On the topic of McDonalds, I got a job there for a few weeks for some extra cash, and I have to say that for the most part, quality is very good. The salads look better than most fast food places, and the food is for the most pat fresh. Although I'd be mindful of teh grilled chicken, it's allowed to sit for an hour before being thrown away...and by the time that hour comes around it doesn't look so good...but the fresh onces look and smelll awesome.

Most BK's are stuck in the 80's, with dirty dark brick floors, avacado toilets, and tables with fake wood worse than an old station wagon.

Most BK's are stuck in the 80's, with dirty dark brick floors, avacado toilets, and tables with fake wood worse than an old station wagon.

178428[/snapback]

Agreed, but have you tried the Stackers? Those are awesome!

My problem with McDonalds is that they are so hung up on trying to be healthy they've neglected the burgers. Nothing new has been made since the Big `n Tasty. BK at least does new things with their burgers.

I heard somewhere that McD's now uses higher quality oils than BK, therefore has healthier food. I've definitely noticed a difference in quality and now prefer McD's to BK.

I heard somewhere that McD's now uses higher quality oils than BK, therefore has healthier food.  I've definitely noticed a difference in quality and now prefer McD's to BK.

178469[/snapback]

They may though I dunno for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised since MCDonalds hasbeen trying hard to be more healthy.

This shows how bad Lincoln is. We're talking about hamburgers.

To me, its flat-out embarrassing all the mistakes Lincoln has made over the past decade. Killing the Continental was a bad idea because the Continental was the flagship for the brand for decades and forcasted the Town Car's styling. That automobile is certainly not flagship material.

Such stunning concepts built, showcased, and shelved with no chance of seeing the light of day.

Squandered opportunities like building a decent Mark X off the DEW98 platform or a Conti flagship wasted on vapid renaming schemes, two silly pickups that no one cares about, and low-line entry models that should go to Mercury.

Ford has no idea how to build a luxury car.

Ford has no idea how to use L-M dealer organziations.

Ford has no idea why they build concepts.

Ford has no idea about relevant product.

Ford has no idea about designing and fielding a desireable car.

Its not that much of a stretch to envision a future Ford having a lot full of Mustangs, a lot filled with F-150s, and a small lot filled with Grand Marquis and P71 Crown Vics.

I'm sorry, but none of us on this board save a handful are experts of any capacity and most of us don't even remember Pintos and Monarchs first-hand, but we can see the problems clear as day. That Ford, with all its employees, with all its collective brainpower, with its century+3 of existance cannot is a sad, sad reality.

Ford was stupid not to build any of it's Lincoln concepts, the continental was a very nice car, and the 427 concept was awesome. If Ford built those cars, it wouldn't be in t he prediciment it's in now. take a note from chrysler: build your concepts!